God's Will

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
If God has a will and it will be done, then what good does praying do?
cus religous people "cant" think for them selves...........well, atleast for the most part, you're not suppose to think for your self.........

if the man tells you to do it then you do it............even if it dont make sence.........

i have a question also.......if you and someone else are going for a job and you both pray and the other person gets the job, does that mean god likes the other person more?

well a religous person will tell you that the job just wasnt meant for you and god has other plans for you, so yeah, why even pray?

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
i have a question also.......if you and someone else are going for a job and you both pray and the other person gets the job, does that mean god likes the other person more?
There is an old saying: If God likes you, He'll give you everything. If He loves you, He'll take it all away.

well a religous person will tell you that the job just wasnt meant for you and god has other plans for you, so yeah, why even pray?
I answered this in my previous post. Prayer is a devotional activity between the individual and God and as such does not constitute a means to some further end. Those who pray because they want something beyond the capacity to know and love God aren't quite there yet. Their ideas are still tainted with material desire.

Dec 2, 2004
But if it can be demonstrated that it does not do anything, then what good is this end for?
Prayer, (much like meditation) is a mind-altering activity. In both you are slowing your brainwaves to a point where you are able to focus concentration (be it a problem, goal, reflection on past events whatever) you are able to think, reflect and solve problems more clearly, I could go on and on about this. I'm not religious in any way but I don't doubt that prayer, meditation and visualization are all basically very similar ways of exercising the mind and gain similar results. Although the act of prayer in today's Western society has become something like a very brief way of collecting thoughts, or visualizing goals (asking for certain things to happen).

Meditating, visualizing a goal or activity before you engage in it (common in sports training especially today), and praying asking a God for blessings (visualizing goals) all produce the same type of brain activity and can have beneficial results.

Mar 4, 2007
Prayer is a devotional activity. It has devotion to God as its purpose. In other words, it is not a means to some other end. Rather, it constitutes an end in itself.
Prayer, (much like meditation) is a mind-altering activity. In both you are slowing your brainwaves to a point where you are able to focus concentration (be it a problem, goal, reflection on past events whatever) you are able to think, reflect and solve problems more clearly, I could go on and on about this. I'm not religious in any way but I don't doubt that prayer, meditation and visualization are all basically very similar ways of exercising the mind and gain similar results. Although the act of prayer in today's Western society has become something like a very brief way of collecting thoughts, or visualizing goals (asking for certain things to happen).

Meditating, visualizing a goal or activity before you engage in it (common in sports training especially today), and praying asking a God for blessings (visualizing goals) all produce the same type of brain activity and can have beneficial results.

what they said.
and i haven't believe in prayer completely until a couple months ago.

Mar 4, 2007
i like your quote n9newunsixx in your sig.

how come i just realized it right now?
very interesting.

my man did pray for me to see things clearer.
=DD

ah, All is beautiful.

May 9, 2002

Praying does not = goal setting

Nov 24, 2003
i like your quote n9newunsixx in your sig.

how come i just realized it right now?
very interesting.

my man did pray for me to see things clearer.
=DD

ah, All is beautiful.

For someone that likes to think they have transcended many of the traditional human animal impulses and behaviors, you sure like to talk about "your man" a lot :confused:

Care to offer some insight?

Mar 4, 2007
its just an idea that you guys understand easier than the lengthy definition that we have given to eachother, if you really wanna hear everything(and actually care to) you can hit me up on aim or msn.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005

I will not demand a rigorous neurological explanation of what you mean, I will just ask you a simple question: why do you need to pray to a non-existent, imaginary higher being in order to achieve the same pattern of brain activity as visualizing a goal (which is presumably beneficial for you), when you can just focus on that goal??

Mar 4, 2007
ok, well, if i could, i would.
but logic is limiting.

i'll try to explain in my own words the best that i possibly can.
now, i never believed in praying or 'hoping' to some bullshit, i never believed in God, i thought we died, our energy is passed into the wind, etc. Now i was still depressed at that point, i felt still that things were not right.

then i realized whenever i lived with my feelings and love, not feelings based off of ego, but feelings based off Love, then i had so much better of a day and everyone elses lives were enriched.

so i started living with my feelings, and i realized when i studied the cross cultural impact of praying, meditating, etc, that i felt 'more' alive. i understand that this is a neurological process, i agree with that explanation completely, and i know it happens. But what caused my body and whole Self feel better for praying?

if this process is not something that is scientifically needed then how come my health has become increasingly better, my female problems gone, and anxiety nonexistant?
yes its because i have less stress, and more love, but how come now? why not when i aknowledged that life will be over and my energy will just be transformed?

the only difference in my diet and excercise from before to now, is that i do not eat land animal's flesh or organs.