Godfather Game N ScreenShots

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 5, 2003
Shit this might just be a decent game....ill be waitin for it, scheduled to hit stores november

If ever there was a game with a built-in marketing catchphrase, The Godfather is it. I can almost see it already. "Electronic Arts is about to make you an offer you can't refuse." Oh, the humanity!

Possible crummy rip-off ad campaigns aside, I'd have to say EA might be cementing itself as the game-to-movie translator above all others -- as if the Lord of the Ring action games weren't enough. But here's the official evidence from EA:

Welcome to the Corleone family. After a life of small-time jobs and petty thefts you’ve been accepted into America’s most famous criminal organization. Now it’s up to you to carry out orders, earn respect, rise through the ranks, and make New York City your own. Play your cards right and you could even be running everything as the next, and most powerful, Don.

A story about family, respect and loyalty, The Godfather book by Mario Puzo and film by Paramount Pictures serve as inspiration for the game as you join the Corleone family and earn respect through loyalty and fear as you rise through the ranks to become Don in a living, 1945-1955 New York. The Godfather™ video game will put you at the center of action in one of history’s most revered cinematic masterpieces, allowing you to create yourself in the game, and then choose your path as you rise from lowly outsider to envied and feared Don.

Featuring non-linear action-adventure gameplay, The Godfather will offer gamers countless choices for solving the family’s problems with brutal violence, skillful diplomacy, or a cunning mixture of both. From mob hits and bank heists to drive-bys and extortion, step deep inside the world of The Godfather where intimidation and negotiation are your tickets to the top. Players will use their

powers of loyalty and fear to earn respect through interactions with characters in the world. Decisions made by the player in the game will have lasting consequences, just as it was in the mob underworld featured in The Godfather fiction.

The Godfather film from Paramount Pictures featured some of Hollywood’s finest actors and several are contributing to the game’s development. Over 20 characters from the movie will be included and lending their voices to add a
Advertisement

dramatic and cinematic touch to the game are the late Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone, James Caan as Sonny Corleone and Robert Duvall as consigliore Tom Hagen.

The world of The Godfather: Experience a decade of violence in New York City from 1945-55.

Classic Film Moments: Non-linear action adventure gameplay with missions direct from the film and original missions with characters from film provides an experience for all types of gamers.

Put yourself in the Godfather: Players will create their own mobster and put themselves in the action of the game and experience the fiction of The Godfather.

Respect and Consequences: Players will use their powers of loyalty and fear to earn respect throughout New York City. Decisions made by the player in the game will have lasting consequences.

Persistent world: Your character will interact freely with other characters in the world. Depending on your needs in the game and how you choose to play the game, by violent or intimidating means or respectful or negotiating means, the characters in the world will remember your interactions with them and your interactions will affect the outcome of the game.

Control New York: The control of New York will be challenged by the five families from the fiction including the Tattaglia, Cuneo, Sollozzo, Brazini, and Stracci families.

Mark Winegardner, author of the novel Godfather Returns, is providing story editing and fiction insight.

I'm curious how all this will play out on the PSP. Presumably Rockstar will have a Grand Theft Auto game out for the handheld pretty quick (if not a completely new game, then at least a re-hash), so The Godfather will have some competition.

Without sounding like too much of an EA ass-kisser, everything is in place to create an awesome crime-themed game: official Godfather license, use of source material (movie and book), wide-open environments, a professional writer, consequential gameplay, and "a decade of violence in New York City from 1945-55." (What game would be complete without a decade of violence?) Sotto tutti gli aspetti the groundwork is laid.

- Omni

(March 6, 2005)

Jun 15, 2005
...yeah, I'm hoping this is not a dud...I kinda liked Mafia...so if its anything better than that, then I will be on that shit for a hot minute...

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I dunno, they'll probably sell out and make it all cliche' as fuck. I'll probably be offended by half of the shit in the game, but I'm still gonna buy it.

Jan 19, 2003
Stealth said:
I'll probably be offended by half of the shit in the game
how's that?

SoBerious i thought that game was kinda cool but on the boring side... never even finished that shit. too much driving in slow ass 1945 pieces of shits.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
It really pisses me off when people make mafia games and have all this re-hashed, cliche bullshit about "Mafia types" that basically stereotypes all kinds of Italian Americans. I know it shouldn't piss me off, but I hate how all Italians get a bad rap. Like, I could definately see how black people could get pissed off at GTA San Andreas. Having a bunch of 7-14 year old white kids going around on drug runs and getting all G'd up, when they don't understand the conditions that led Blacks to join gangs or Italians to join the mafia. They just know about the product: violence and crime (in a glorified way).

Then again, its all done for entertainment purposes, and its not like Italians are that oppressed or anything. Like I said, I will go out and buy the game most likely, and I'll probably enjoy it. But it pisses me off that when most people think of Italians, the first thing that comes to mind is the Mob. Not trying to bitch or anything like that, I'm just kind of expecting them to make this game as stereotyped as possible for that "authentic Italian feel".

Jan 19, 2003
Stealth said:
Can you actually fit NYC onto a videogame? How big was San Andreas in comparison to NYC?
San Andreas wasn't a real place. it was parts of frisco, vegas n LA put together on one map. it was big but not a detailed real city.

Stealth said:
I know it shouldn't piss me off, but I hate how all Italians get a bad rap.
those days are over... most italian-americans are mixed with other white, there is almost no visible mafia in the country, and italians/irish/polish are no longer oppressed/treated differently than any other whites and for the most part cant even be distinguished anymore.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I know San Andreas isn't real - I'm just saying in comparison to NYC is it bigger or smaller or what?

And as far as that shit - yeah I know those days are over. But that does't change the fact that some dumbass is gonna load it up with as much stereotype as possible to make an extra buck. Like i said, I'm not bitching. But you're wrong about there being no visible mafia. Maybe not on your side of the country, but trust me

Jan 19, 2003
Stealth said:
I know San Andreas isn't real - I'm just saying in comparison to NYC is it bigger or smaller or what?
Depends how much of NYC they use in the game... they arent gonna have the entire detailed city in the game...

Stealth said:
But you're wrong about there being no visible mafia. Maybe not on your side of the country, but trust me
By visible I mean apparent to the average person- therefore making a stereotype possible. There is almost no visible mafia in the country. n notice i said almost i heard theres still some out in jersey. Theres still some old school LCN here in san francisco but more in LA/SD, mostly doing white collar crime like fraud an some loan sharking n racketeering and human trafficking more on the east coast.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
They would be able to make a decent potrayol of NYC just buy using redundent building and shit like that, but they wouldnt need super crayzy detail, just gotta hit the landmarks n shit. With the blue ray discs on ps3, it would be totally possible. PS3 is going to be THE SHIT.

Jan 19, 2003
^^^ i dont even play my PS2 no more... only reason i have in the last year was for GTA:SA now that the rockstar/sony contract is up n they can release games for xbox/ps2 at the same time i wudnt have any need for my ps2. so for now im just plannin on buying Xbox360 unless PS3 is gonna be that much better. halo is the shit lol.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Stealth said:
It really pisses me off when people make mafia games and have all this re-hashed, cliche bullshit about "Mafia types" that basically stereotypes all kinds of Italian Americans. I know it shouldn't piss me off, but I hate how all Italians get a bad rap. Like, I could definately see how black people could get pissed off at GTA San Andreas. Having a bunch of 7-14 year old white kids going around on drug runs and getting all G'd up, when they don't understand the conditions that led Blacks to join gangs or Italians to join the mafia. They just know about the product: violence and crime (in a glorified way).

Then again, its all done for entertainment purposes, and its not like Italians are that oppressed or anything. Like I said, I will go out and buy the game most likely, and I'll probably enjoy it. But it pisses me off that when most people think of Italians, the first thing that comes to mind is the Mob. Not trying to bitch or anything like that, I'm just kind of expecting them to make this game as stereotyped as possible for that "authentic Italian feel".

The funny and sad thing is, people don't even relate the mob to the right side. The mafia really isn't an Italian thing, it's a sicilian thing with some Italians involved. There is a huge difference, so it does kinda urk me when people say Italians=Mafiosi. Ignorance is bliss I guess...the Mafia games and movies don't bother me though, I enjoy the shit. The ignorance that some folks display when it comes to shit like this is the only thing that gets to me.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
Dont get too offended, everyone is stereotyped in video games. San Andreas was good about it though, I didn't see any of the charecters in the game to be overly cheesey. San Andreas is one of the greatest games ever put out.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
^^ umm... sicily is part of italy. therefore, sicilians are italians. i dont understand what ur beef is.
Sicily is an island off of Italy. It was not a part of Italy until after WWI, when it was annexed to Naples. Before the founding of the New World, Sicily was the most prized island in the world. Sitting in the middle of the Mediterranean, it was a perfect staging point for wars. It housed some of the greatest minds of the ancient world, including Archimedes, from Siragusa (Syracuse). It has a vast Muslim influence from when the Moors inhabited it, as well as a Christian influence from the Lombards and the House of Aaragon. Sicily was once attached to Africa, until it drifted over time closer to Italy. The bloodline is the Sicanians (the earliest "native" Sicilian civilization) who were either Elymian or Sicelian. The Sicilians are made of up Phoenecians, Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Byzantine Greeks, Saracen Arabs, Normans, and to some extent Longobards, Goths, Angevin French, Aragonese, and Spanish. WE ARE THE MUTTS OF THE WORLD. Sicily was the most conquered land in the world, and was considered a prize island by many kings of the time. Most Sicilian culture began as a pagan religion, which was later influenced by Etruscan Romans, Moorish Arabs, and Greek mythology. Sicilians are dark haired and dark skinned, different from the light skinned dark haired mainanders (Romans) and light skinned, blonde haired northerners. Northern Italians would spit on Southern Italians. We were slaves for the larger period of the time. Sicilians came to America due to extreme poverty, and were treated like absolute shit when they came to America. Northern Italians wouldn't even give them jobs. When I was in NYC's little Italy last summer, my brother called a Northern Italian resturaunte to make reservations in Italian. While my brother was speaking, the man on the other end said Suditaliano! (Southern Italian) and HUNG UP on him. It still goes on today, but to a lesser extent. Due to the curruption in the italian government as well as Siclian culture, the "mafia" emerged as a family system within a town, where all disputes were presided on by the elder (don) member of society. The mistrust for the police caused Sicilians to take up all legal matters with the don, basically making him the most powerful man in the town. It was a family system set up to PROTECT the town FROM the law. When poor Sicilians came to America, they had no jobs or no money, and while fledging "gang" did appear, the "mafia" didn't exactly get its real roots until Lucky Luciano (Lucania) started off an organized crime syndicate along with a few other Italians as well as a Jew, Meyer Lansky (the brains behind everything). This crime syndicate was MODELED after the mafia. The big difference here is the mafia in sicily was made to protect the sicilian community, while Luciano's mafia did protect the Sicilian community, but it did so by means of illegal activity.