Giving Raided His Due

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 21, 2002
This isn't much of a news thread or anything. I just want to say that X-Raided's music means much to me. I don't even care about the content what he says or doesn't say; I won't be as critical as those so-called experts that seem to want to set the standard for rap excellence when they themselves can't even spit. I just want to say his songs no matter what he's rhyming about make me feel better. The sophistication of words, the dark humour, the anger and pain in his voice, or just the love of vibing that he displays. Just to know that this one artist puts so much effort and goes through hell just to be able to record his music proves a lot and especially when his music is really unique in sound. He will go down in my history book. I like the tone of his voice, I like the fact that he can bring a mood to a song. It's not just all about flows, lyrics, energy/delivery and production. It's also about the tone of the voice, you can hear this man's voice take various tones depending on the content. "When The Smoke Clears" is always fresh everytime I hear it... It doesn't even sound like rap music to me. I just listen to it and soon enough I stop forgetting about the words, as I listen to the tone of his voice and his grave flow, I begin to gradually sink into another world... I like a lot of rappers, from Brotha Lynch to Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, emcees like Canibus, Chino XL and Crooked I, focused rappers like Immortal Technique and Dead Prez. Creative talent like Tech N9ne, Yukmouth, Loki and Zagg... Though besides Makaveli, there's no other rapper whose music I can feel so close to like Raided's. From his dark sound like "Cemetary Fulla G's" and hardcore battle songs like "Who Is Y'all" and "Post War Syndrome", to laments like "Land Of The Lost", to creative works like "Where I'm From" and "Consider Me Dead", it goes on and on... I don't care if The Source does not recognize him; I don't care if the mainstream isn't feeling him; or if he's not on every fan's top 10 greatest rappers of all time list... X-Raided will probably never earn his true spot because of his background, or because he's too true to HIS art to sell out, or because the average rap audience has been brainwashed to the point that they can no longer think for themselves... But whatever's the case, to a small crowd of serious rap listeners, he's truly the "Westcoast Rap King" sitting on what once was a vacant spot, left by Makaveli.

Jun 21, 2002
Don't get me wrong, his lyrics are incredible, he's one of the best lyricists I've heard. But you know how in general, songs get old fast when you know all the words by heart? Well with Raided, the tone in his voice prevents that from happening because the tone itself tells the story. So after a while, when the words are no longer new, what happens with Raided is that they start taking second place as the mood in his voice overshines. If I didn't speak english, I would still understand where he's coming from, and what he's talking about because of the various intonations in his voice. That makes his music not feel so much like rap because you'd think what makes a hot rap song is what the guy is saying.

May 27, 2002
raided is probably the only artist i can think of that the whole "tone of voice" thing you said would apply to. hit the nail right on the head.

btw, i think When The Smoke Clears is my favorite song of his.