Gil Scott Heron....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 16, 2002
ok, I feel like an asshole to honestly say that the first time i ever heard this cat was a month ago, singing the hook for that Blackallicious song, First in Flight...good stuff there..

and then i'm browsing the hiphopinfinity message boards and I come across a Gil Scott Heron appreciation thread where he's being praised left and right...

and now i've spent the last couple days downloading songs from Gil Scott Heron....THIS GUY IS AMAZING...

I dont know how to describe this dude's talent....such versatility and raw emotion...such funky, knowledgeable, bumpin, smooth, raw, polished, balanced, passionate, humorous, relaxing, GOOD MUSIC.

the main cuts i'm feelin right now are:

Winter in America
The Revolution will not be televised
B Movie
The Bottle
A Lovely Day
Lady day and John Coltrane
Pieces of a Man
Whiteys on the Moon
The Prisoner

so...please share your thoughts on this great musician..I am ashamed that it took me 21 years to hear his music, but better late than never. Has anyone read any of his books? WHat are some of your favorite tracks? oh yeah, I'm proabbaly going to end up buying more than 1 of his album's, but a breakdown of his top albums would be nice too.

evil-e

Jul 19, 2002
evil-e said:
ok, I feel like an asshole to honestly say that the first time i ever heard this cat was a month ago, singing the hook for that Blackallicious song, First in Flight...good stuff there..

and then i'm browsing the hiphopinfinity message boards and I come across a Gil Scott Heron appreciation thread where he's being praised left and right...

and now i've spent the last couple days downloading songs from Gil Scott Heron....THIS GUY IS AMAZING...

I dont know how to describe this dude's talent....such versatility and raw emotion...such funky, knowledgeable, bumpin, smooth, raw, polished, balanced, passionate, humorous, relaxing, GOOD MUSIC.

the main cuts i'm feelin right now are:

Winter in America
The Revolution will not be televised
B Movie
The Bottle
A Lovely Day
Lady day and John Coltrane
Pieces of a Man
Whiteys on the Moon
The Prisoner

so...please share your thoughts on this great musician..I am ashamed that it took me 21 years to hear his music, but better late than never. Has anyone read any of his books? WHat are some of your favorite tracks? oh yeah, I'm proabbaly going to end up buying more than 1 of his album's, but a breakdown of his top albums would be nice too.

evil-e
Nothin to be ashamed of if u just now found out about him, it's not like he been in the Spotlight for the last years.

Try also: Free Will (album)
We almost lost Detroit (fuckin nice track)
The revolution will not be televised (alternative mix - pretty raw)

Apr 25, 2002
hey folks...download the track from Gil SCott
Make Me Wanna Holler...
it's the marvin gaye song redone- but totally off the fuckin hook

i'm a big gill scott fan...i think he sometimes misses the point with the "white devil" Shit...but he's got a lot of uplifting siht to say

Jun 4, 2002
true indeed young playa you are soakin game from a TRUE o.g. i remember the first time i heard his shit was like 6 years ago on the wake up show, they played a couple cuts from his 'best of' and the shit was off the wall.

my favorite Gil Scott track HAS to be "Home Is Where The Hatred Is".. i bump this shit all the time & every time i hear it i get chills down my spine, you will never hear this type of beautiful despair & emotion from any other dope fiend in the world.

i barely smoke weed any more & hardly touch the white, but that song is uncut raw depravity which has me feelin like a empty useless muthafucka when it comes to my drug habits.

Jul 16, 2002
good to see that others feel Gil Scott as well...but it still seems like he gets nowhere near the recognition that he should.
can anyone who's followed his career for awhile drop some insight on why he's so slept on? I heard he's serving time right now too?

AlecRodruez-The revolution will not be televised (alternative mix - pretty raw)
sup with this alternative mix? you got it on mp3?

i just picked my favorite songs (from what i have)to put on cd, here they are: (not in order)

Winter in America
lady day and john coltrane
the bottle
the revolution will not be televised
B movie
pieces of a man
a lovely day
the prisoner
we almost lost detroit
whiteys on the moon
is that jazz
re-ron
its your world
when you are who you are
willing
home is where the hatred is

again, I need to decide on the order of songs...any suggestions would be appreciated. to me, the arrangement of songs can make a huge difference on albums, so the songs blend together seamlessly.
you dont have to come up with an order 1-16, but maybe a suggestion on the 1st track(the revolution will not be televised?), last track(something slow), or 2 songs that seem to go really well next to each other.

don't worry, i plan on buying his albums once i get some cash, i need my quick fix of Gil immediately tho. :classic:

peace.
evil-e

Jul 19, 2002
evil-e said:

AlecRodruez-The revolution will not be televised (alternative mix - pretty raw)
sup with this alternative mix? you got it on mp3?

Two weeks ago I still had it, but now I'm in another part of our beautiful world for at least a year!

If I find it on the net I holla, but since audiogalaxy went down I wouldn't count on it!

Peace...and keep lookin for that real shit!