Getting unique sounds

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
If you're a beginning producer then u got it easy these days homie...There are Youtube tutorials for DAYS...When I started (GOD that makes me sound old) there wasn't that shit...So make yerself comfortable and watch some shit!

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
ur using reason u can put hella shit in the combinator and create your own sounds.

also every synth has tons of knobs and filters so just adjust a certain sound wave to the tune of your choice. its not hard to make a unique sound.

how do you think they come up with "sounds" all the presets were invented by sound designers probobly just running a simple wave through a bunch of filters in the synthesizer till it sounded right. its not that hard to make something unique.

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
yeah man, just wish i had technique doing those

i been playin with some the sounds for hours just moving knobs and shit, but usually nothing comes out too good, im going to try layering

ill try checking out some videos

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
gimme a combinator line mixer and a couple malstrom syths on reason and i'll make some crazy stuff. I wanna get a nice virtual analog like a lead 3 or something of that nature, that would be nice

Apr 26, 2006
Unique? Sound FX type noises or what? Fuck with the LFO's on your synths. You can do some nice modulations to your synth sounds if you know how to fuck with the LFOs.

You can try layering also like others have already explained. Maybe try reversing shit as well.

There's a nice lil VST effect plugin called "Glitch." Check it out, it's nice for mangling sounds up.

Apr 26, 2006
If your just looking to learn synth patch design. Start off learning subtractive synthesis. It's the most common and easiest to grasp IMO.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Its easy for me...just twist the 24 Knobs or 16 sliders and punch the 30 or so other buttons to change parameters...no menus...all in real time..no latency....ahhh. On a side note I had the Moog Voyager great synth for bass and leads..had some knobs and shit....but my Studio Electronics ATC has zero knobs anyaways it has so many presets with variations I never even touch the front panel..just the one knob...

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Two easiest things for me to make unique and original sounds on were my xp-60 and my mp-7. It helps to know what the differences between waveforms and how they react to different frequencies. My suggestion is you first start with a sine wave and go from there. But when you talk about "unique" sounds what exactly are you talking about?

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
If you're a beginning producer then u got it easy these days homie...There are Youtube tutorials for DAYS...When I started (GOD that makes me sound old) there wasn't that shit...So make yerself comfortable and watch some shit!
Mark...who are you kidding? You ARE old. hahaha!

On the real though, all you have to do is experiment. It depends on what you're using. Layer shit, go through the effects and have at it. You can youtube it, but you'd be limiting yourself to what somebody else knows. I'd say if you watch some videos, take what they give you and add your own vision to it.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Two easiest things for me to make unique and original sounds on were my xp-60 and my mp-7. It helps to know what the differences between waveforms and how they react to different frequencies. My suggestion is you first start with a sine wave and go from there. But when you talk about "unique" sounds what exactly are you talking about?
My proteus2000 which has just a few controls was easy to mod sounds. Me personally I might be too lazy to learn all the technical aspects...Im simply just..trial and error.

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
i wish i could get a sound and manipulate it,

make it do patterns, control the speed, change the sound....

mostly patterns

i know some programs allready come with presets, but i wish i could do my own

@ :25

@ 1:00

(ill check out that glitch program)

Apr 26, 2006
i wish i could get a sound and manipulate it,

make it do patterns, control the speed, change the sound....

mostly patterns

i know some programs allready come with presets, but i wish i could do my own

To change the speed of a sound or percieved loudness, adjust the ADSR envelope. Or if it's some type of modulation, you usually have to adjust a LFO to adjust the intensity.

There's nothing wrong with starting out with presets, then adjust the sound to your likings afterwards. Just study how the presets are made, then you can make your own. Look at the waveforms and what not that are used to make certain sounds.

What do you mean by make it do patterns?

Mar 22, 2004
That Bobby V track sounds like an arpeggio but the others just sound like someone played those patterns, nothing complex at all...I don't think any of those sounds are "one of a kind" sounds, they sound like stuff you can find in any keyboard these days

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
doesnt sound like mainstream guys try to tweak anything, most their stuff all sounds the same to me

Apr 26, 2006
That Bobby V track sounds like an arpeggio but the others just sound like someone played those patterns, nothing complex at all...I don't think any of those sounds are "one of a kind" sounds, they sound like stuff you can find in any keyboard these days
Exactly. Nothing special about those sounds at all. First one definitely has an arpeggio on it.

siccness-user:
Try the Vanguard VSTi man, it covers all those synth sounds. It also has a built-in Arp, Trancegate, delay, so you can get those nice rhythms.