Gasol Has Inside Perspective on Lakers' Recent Woes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/03/07/gasol-has-inside-perspective-on-lakers-recent-woes/

ORLANDO -- When things start to unravel -- like they clearly are with the Los Angeles Lakers -- perspective can be a funny thing.

Kobe Bryant seems to think there's nothing wrong with the first three-game losing streak in more than two years. After all, he scored 39, 26 and 34 points, respectively, in those three games.

Pau Gasol, who has averaged less than 14 points in the three losses, has a different take. He believes the defending NBA champions have been thrown out of sync because one guy again has become too dominant in the offense.

And guess who that guy would be?

"Kobe is a great player, the best offensive player out there ... but at the same time, we need to find some balance with our interior game, develop it a little more, moving the ball and changing sides,'' Gasol said gingerly, knowing he was treading on sacred territory by questioning Bryant and the offense of coach Phil Jackson. "We need to get focused on that a little more, to find balance, to find some flow.''

Gasol has grown frustrated recently by his lack of offensive opportunities. He was speaking Sunday after the Lakers had lost, 96-94, to the Magic in a rematch of last season's NBA Finals.

In the fourth quarter alone Sunday, Bryant took 16 shots and hit seven. Gasol made three of his four, yet three of those four shots came only after offensive rebounds from Bryant misses. His only other shot was a dunk off a Bryant pass. There was hardly any offense run through him in the fourth.

Watching the Magic run their offense through center Dwight Howard in the low post -- and beat the Lakers -- just accentuated his belief that the Lakers need to tweak their attack, or risk more losing that could threaten their defense of the title.
"I've always been a big believer that you work the game from inside out, and it becomes easier. The Magic do it with Dwight, and he's not a player with the best post moves, but it gives you balance."
-- Pau Gasol
"I've always been a good post-up player, getting looks for myself, but also finding cutters, passing the ball out. It's a good way to attack,'' Gasol said. "I've always been a big believer that you work the game from inside out, and it becomes easier. The Magic do it with Dwight, and he's not a player with the best post moves, but it gives you balance. I think we need that.''

Gasol was key last season in the Lakers' drive to their NBA title. He played in his second consecutive All-Star Game last month. This is the first three-game losing streak since he was acquired midway in the 2007-08 season. It wasn't until his arrival that the Lakers found the balance they needed for Bryant to lead them to a title.

He has seen that balance erode.

He averaged 18.9 points last season, which is two points more than he is averaging this season. He is getting fewer shots, too. In these three losses -- in Miami, in Charlotte, in Orlando -- he took a combined 38 shots. Bryant, conversely, took 79 shots.

Bryant also took and missed the final shot, a 20-foot jumper that could have tied the game with :01.2 remaining.

"That was my shot,'' Bryant said. "You give that to me 10 times, and I'll make it nine times.''

Bryant believes that even in defeat Sunday, the Lakers regained the intensity they will need to win games later this season and into the playoffs.

The Lakers (46-18) still have the best record in the Western Conference, but their recent struggles have given hope to the surging Dallas Mavericks, who are riding a 11-game winning streak.

"The last two games [in Miami and Charlotte] we didn't play with the sense of urgency to compete,'' Bryant said. "Today, we did. We played really, really hard. We just missed some things defensively, execution wise. We didn't win the game, but I saw what I needed to see. If we play with this kind of effort, it will be hard for anyone to beat us four times in a series.''

Bryant, so confident in his talents, missed five games last month with a ankle injury, and the Lakers went 4-1 in his absence. Since his return, they are 4-4.

Gasol isn't the only one beginning to question the recent direction. Ron Artest, their big offseason acquisition, is having the worst offensive season of his career. He made only two of 10 shots Sunday.

"It's a different situation for me with Kobe here. In the past, I was always the second option, or first option [offensively],'' he said. "I'm still trying to find way on this team. I'm going to find my way. All this is practice for me now. It's a new style of play. I have to master my role.''

The Magic (44-20) were the aggressors for most of the game Sunday, leading almost from start to finish. Four different Magic players blocked shots in the first quarter. Howard was in foul trouble much of the game, but that didn't change anything.

Howard blocked a shot by Artest. Backup center Marcin Gortat blocked a shot by Gasol. Reserve Mickael Pietrus blocked Bryant's shot. And reserve Brandon Bass blocked Lamar Odom.

Vince Carter led the Magic with 25 points, but Howard had 15 points and 16 rebounds, giving the Magic a 50-39 rebounding edge. All five Magic starters reached double-figure scoring. The Lakers, by contrast, had only three players [Bryant with 34, Gasol with 20 and Derek Fisher with 11] score more than 10 points.

"You have to utilize your big man,'' Gasol said. "It's important to do that on a consistent basis. I'm not discouraged. We just can do things a little differently. We have the means and the players to do it differently.''

Kobe going back to his ballhogging days again.

Jan 12, 2006
good read. gasol needs to take a back seat to kobe though, this is kobe's squad. kobe is the guy that drives to the basket even though he's been beat up all year. On the other hand gasol has missed about 20 games this season for minor injuries that he blew up like a little girl.

2 main reason weve lost games this season.

1. Our point guards get exposed when ever we face a quick quality point guard. Even though d fish is expierenced and clutch in tuff situations the guy is still getting old. farmar, brown and vujacic can be good but are still very inconsistent.

2. Bynum and mainly Gasol have been getting punked in the paint they have been inconsistent all year. And by all year i mean when we face the elite teams like cavs, magic, nugs and celtics.

with that said as bad as things seem right now the lakers are still in 1st place in the WEST. also remember this team just won a title they have a target on their back all season. So dont even worry the Lakers will take care of business come playoff time like usual. its mandatory!

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
Hopefully Kobe stays greedy and pisses Gasol off enough to want out, then we pick him up for the Blazers. Lakers don't win shit if it wasn't for Gasol last year he is a factor. Maybe thinking too far ahead but Roy and Gasol would be a good combo, 2 unselfish players that understand a team game.

Jan 12, 2006
Hopefully Kobe stays greedy and pisses Gasol off enough to want out, then we pick him up for the Blazers. Lakers don't win shit if it wasn't for Gasol last year he is a factor. Maybe thinking too far ahead but Roy and Gasol would be a good combo, 2 unselfish players that understand a team game.
leave LA in his prime to be with the blazers? :dead:

Feb 3, 2006
good read. gasol needs to take a back seat to kobe though, this is kobe's squad. kobe is the guy that drives to the basket even though he's been beat up all year. On the other hand gasol has missed about 20 games this season for minor injuries that he blew up like a little girl.

2 main reason weve lost games this season.

1. Our point guards get exposed when ever we face a quick quality point guard. Even though d fish is expierenced and clutch in tuff situations the guy is still getting old. farmar, brown and vujacic can be good but are still very inconsistent.

2. Bynum and mainly Gasol have been getting punked in the paint they have been inconsistent all year. And by all year i mean when we face the elite teams like cavs, magic, nugs and celtics.

with that said as bad as things seem right now the lakers are still in 1st place in the WEST. also remember this team just won a title they have a target on their back all season. So dont even worry the Lakers will take care of business come playoff time like usual. its mandatory!
I feel you on some of the points you have but gasol is rite..i watch every game and lately the offense has been very stagnant, the ball is not moving around. the reason the lakers played real good wen kobe was hurt is because they played team ball. the ball moved and found the open man, the flow of the offense was nice to watch. but now with kobe back he gets in to his moods where he thinks hes gotta force shots up to win games but if he utilized his teammates more i dont see anyone really beating them. they are that talented of a team. Lets be real tho, they cant win wit out kobe but wen u have to giants in the paint (that have alot of talent) use them!

Feb 3, 2006
but yea gasol needs to man up in the paint he gets abused alot down there..bynum is hurt but if hes that hurt thats hes really not a factor watsoever then he needs to sit n get healthy for the post season..i wish odom would become more aggressive in terms of taking the ball to the hoop he is the key for the lakers in the title run, he makes them go.

Feb 12, 2008
Fuck what this nigga talking about. He needs to man the fuck up and grow some balls in the paint. Who saw how many Off. Rebounds where had by the Magic while he was in at center? Who saw this nigga get thrown to the ground by a little Howard nudge? Who saw this nigga slap Howard as he yacked on him and his arm ricochet off like a lil bitch all because he was getting his T-Shirt grabbed on the other end? Who saw D-Wade and companie drive on him and get easy layups all 4th quarter and OT? Grow some balls and you might get some more looks until then STFU because you ain't cuttin it right now.

I am a die-hard Laker Fan.

Mar 16, 2005
while I do agree it is and should be Kobes team Gasol is right. They will not beat a team like Utah or Nuggets in playoffs without getting thier big men in the games. They have a major advantage against the likes of Nuggets when it comes to big men.....they need to get to playoff basketball mode soon and that means getting gasol and thier other bigs into the games more.