Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
Ne Obliviscaris @Ne Obliviscaris as someone who works in that environment I'm curious to your opinion on what the kid says. I agree with him 100% While I was a total fuck up in high school when I finally decided I wanted to graduate and went to an alternative school that did more hands on type of stuff and less "busy" work it made the world of difference for me actually wanting to attend class.
Did you go to NOVA?

Its a little different in a college environment, because if the kid thinks I'm a shitty teacher they can always drop the class. I get feedback from every student (well, most) at the end of the quarter, and I had one girl tear me apart one year because she said I "didn't care" and it made me feel like shit. I may joke about hating my students and how they are all morons, but I take teaching seriously, and if she really felt like that, I wish she had left the class or talked to me about it. I spend my life doing research, which is basically learning new shit, and I really enjoy helping others to do the same as a teacher. Having said that we all have bad days, or even bad quarters.

As to that kid in the video, more power to him. I had a pretty shitty high school education (mostly), and there isnt shit to be done about it when youre that age, so I feel for the kid.

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
There's a really easy solution to having bad high school teachers though. PAY THEM A SHIT LOAD. Then the competition for those jobs will result in only quality candidates being hired. Right now you either have to be passionate about education (a small group) or willing to live with shitty pay cuz you treat the job like a shitty job (a large group) to be a highschool teacher.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Did you go to NOVA?

Its a little different in a college environment, because if the kid thinks I'm a shitty teacher they can always drop the class. I get feedback from every student (well, most) at the end of the quarter, and I had one girl tear me apart one year because she said I "didn't care" and it made me feel like shit. I may joke about hating my students and how they are all morons, but I take teaching seriously, and if she really felt like that, I wish she had left the class or talked to me about it. I spend my life doing research, which is basically learning new shit, and I really enjoy helping others to do the same as a teacher. Having said that we all have bad days, or even bad quarters.

As to that kid in the video, more power to him. I had a pretty shitty high school education (mostly), and there isnt shit to be done about it when youre that age, so I feel for the kid.
Nah Scriber Lake Alternative high school in Lynnwood. Yeah I feel that on a college level for sure but the kids story is pretty interesting actually..

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
Nah Scriber Lake Alternative high school in Lynnwood. Yeah I feel that on a college level for sure but the kids story is pretty interesting actually..

He seems like a righteous little dude. And I agree with everything he said.

But a couple more comments, in kinda, partial, maybe defense of the instructor.

The teacher was preparing the kids for the 'start test' or something which I assume is a standardized test that the district forces the kids to take and bases all of its evaluations of the teachers quality on their scores. If I had to teach in that situation I'd quit. You're not actually helping the kids learn anything, its like fucking educational masturbation, you design a stupid test, then make the kids learn the answers to the stupid test and viola you have the modern highschool.

Its a fucking travesty, and like many modern travesties, its george bush's fucking fault with his whole no child left behind bullshit. Education is not something you can standardize and quantify in a test, because a true education doesn't confine itself to topics A, B and C. So when you make the kids graduating and the teachers paycheck dependant on the kids knowing ABC they stop trying to actually learn as a philosophy and start memorizing stupid facts, which is extra rediculous in the modern google world.

Maybe part of what the kid was rightfully angry about--the packets, the lack on conversation--was a result of the pressures the district were putting on the teacher (learn the test) and not being driven by the teachers normal approach.

But like I said, the kid seems like a stand up dude, and I'm glad he voiced his opinion.

TL:DR
Fuck standardized tests
and george bush.

Last edited: