FOXSPORTS Confirms Chargers Hire Turner

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Norv Turner has never been the head coach of a team as talented as San Diego is right now. Period. He will not fuck it up to the extent that the fuckin raiders are better than them. I know it, you know it, everybody knows it.
I agree, although I don't like what Norv did as the HC of the Raiders, it's gonna be hard to fuck up with LT, Gates, Merriman and the rest of the Chargers on his squad. The team is full of talent.

May 22, 2003
www.dankmobb.com
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Norv Turner has never been the head coach of a team as talented as San Diego is right now. Period. He will not fuck it up to the extent that the fuckin raiders are better than them. I know it, you know it, everybody knows it.
The Redskins that year were Superbowl favorites like San Diego was this year, you don't remember all the hype they had around them going to the superbowl because they're team was highly talented and Snyder "sparing no expense" to get them? I mean they didn't have no LT but the talent on that team was great at that time. I'm not saying the Raiders will do better or the Chargers will do better, but Norvs track record as hc proves he's an underachiever, then giving him a team like the Chargers. I wouldn't be suprised if Turner is fired at the end of the season.

Apr 25, 2002
He may be an underachiever, but he will not bring a 14-2 squad down to the bottom of the league and make them worse than a 2-14 team in one year's time. I honestly think the raiders will be better next year than they were this year, but better than the Chargers?? Come on. Let's be honest here. We all know that is NOT going to happen. Spare me the "you never know" shit. That's going too far.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
My boy summed it pretty good, for those of you that dont follow the team closely, there is alot of shady inside shit going on here...Many believe Marty orchestrated his firing...this is what my boy posted on the chargers board, sums it up pretty good

That's right. Norv wasn't hired to replace Marty. He was hired to replace Cam.

Marty was largely irrelevant to this team's success this year. He handled the media and made speeches, but everyone knows it was Wade running the defense, Cam running the offense, and Marty serving as the figurehead, administrator, and the team's #1 cheerleader.

If you lose Marty and Wade and Cam in one offseason, who are the most important guys to replace? Well, if I'm looking at the example of last year I'd say it's more important we replace Wade and Cam than it is we replace Marty.

Roll back to a week ago. Who is the best available guy to replace Wade? Probably Ted Cottrell. Okay, so that base is covered.

Who is the best available guy to replace Cam?

Tough one, isn't it? There really was no one available to replace Cam. But if you could pick one guy out of everyone in the NFL to replace Cam it would probably be Norv Turner. Problem is, San Francisco's not going to let you hire the guy as offensive coordinator.

So you've already got the natural choice to replace Wade, but the only way you can get the natural choice to replace Cam is to either offer SF a crapload of compensation, or hire him as your HC.

Thus, Norv Turner is our new head coach.

Replacing Marty wasn't the priority of this search. The priority was replacing Wade and Cam, and that has now been accomplished.

May 2, 2002
Marty was largely irrelevant to this team's success this year. He handled the media and made speeches, but everyone knows it was Wade running the defense, Cam running the offense, and Marty serving as the figurehead, administrator, and the team's #1 cheerleader.
Wait...so Marty was just a cheerleader? That is one of the stupidest things I've heard about this.

Marty has been a great coach everywhere he's been.

The Chargers were absolute crap before he got there. Yes, Smith has definitely helped picking the players...but to say Marty was just a speech giver is dumb.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
ESCOBAR 92113 said:
i took a look at the raiders boards, those dudes are partying like little girls..they some how think they got better because of this?
lol @checking other teams' boards.

Marty had a great record vs the Raiders, the fact that he's gone gives the Raiders a little mental boost for when they play the Chargers now. But, it's not like they're not gonna have to stop LT anymore :dead:

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
gimpypimp said:
Wait...so Marty was just a cheerleader? That is one of the stupidest things I've heard about this.

Marty has been a great coach everywhere he's been.

The Chargers were absolute crap before he got there. Yes, Smith has definitely helped picking the players...but to say Marty was just a speech giver is dumb.
actually its truth, he had pretty much nothing to do with the defense and after the baltimore game he gave alot more responsibilty to the oc. he pretty much fazed himself out. he is a good coach that turned things around here, no one will deny that. at the same time no coach here had the same type of talent, not even the 94 superbowl team. he was expected to go deep into the playoffs and wasnt able to, point blank.

with that said i will tell you that Norv Turner is not the long term solution,nor is he the coach of the future. he will be given the same oppurtunity, superbowl or lose your job period. The decision was made to go with him because the front office did not want to mess with the continuity of the team. since we already use his offense, its a good match.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
Lamberto Quintero said:
lol @checking other teams' boards.

Marty had a great record vs the Raiders, the fact that he's gone gives the Raiders a little mental boost for when they play the Chargers now. But, it's not like they're not gonna have to stop LT anymore :dead:
i dont understand what is so funny about checking other teams boards...im a football fan and like to get as much info as i can. in fact there is a whole thread on the raiders board where they are looking at the chargers board, anyway, are you saying that the raiders didnt have a mental boost when they played marty? seems to me since marty owned them they would be mentally ready and hyped to play him....

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
ESCOBAR 92113 said:
i dont understand what is so funny about checking other teams boards...im a football fan and like to get as much info as i can. in fact there is a whole thread on the raiders board where they are looking at the chargers board, anyway, are you saying that the raiders didnt have a mental boost when they played marty? seems to me since marty owned them they would be mentally ready and hyped to play him....
They should be mentally ready and hyped no matter who they're playing, but Marty's record vs them shows otherwise. All I'm saying is the fact that he's not there may make them feel as if they're playing a different team than the one that has beat them constantly the last decade.

May 2, 2002
ESCOBAR 92113 said:
actually its truth, he had pretty much nothing to do with the defense and after the baltimore game he gave alot more responsibilty to the oc. he pretty much fazed himself out. he is a good coach that turned things around here, no one will deny that. at the same time no coach here had the same type of talent, not even the 94 superbowl team. he was expected to go deep into the playoffs and wasnt able to, point blank.

with that said i will tell you that Norv Turner is not the long term solution,nor is he the coach of the future. he will be given the same oppurtunity, superbowl or lose your job period. The decision was made to go with him because the front office did not want to mess with the continuity of the team. since we already use his offense, its a good match.
So it's just a coincidence that Marty has been a good coach everywhere he's been? He's only been a cheerleader and speech giver everywhere he's been?

I understand why he was let go...but to say that he was nothing more than a guy who handled the media and gave speeches is pretty ludicrous.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
gimpypimp said:
So it's just a coincidence that Marty has been a good coach everywhere he's been? He's only been a cheerleader and speech giver everywhere he's been?

I understand why he was let go...but to say that he was nothing more than a guy who handled the media and gave speeches is pretty ludicrous.
im talking just about last season, not his whole career. its a known fact, marty came out and said it so its not like im pulling shit out of my ass. Bottom line, he won a total of zero playoff games here. he was still given another chance after management decided to keep him for next year and wouldve still been here if he hadnt sunk his own ship

May 2, 2002
ESCOBAR 92113 said:
im talking just about last season, not his whole career. its a known fact, marty came out and said it so its not like im pulling shit out of my ass. Bottom line, he won a total of zero playoff games here. he was still given another chance after management decided to keep him for next year and wouldve still been here if he hadnt sunk his own ship
I said I understand why he was let go.

It's a fact? He said that he was nothing more than a cheerleader, speech giver and someone who handled the media?

Do you have a link? I would like to see that.