Former NFL star Mosi Tatupu dies at 54

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004

Former NFL standout Mosi Tatupu, the father of Seattle Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu, died Tuesday at the age of 54 from unknown causes.

Mosi Tatupu, who played fullback for 13 seasons for the New England Patriots from 1978-90, suffered from high-blood pressure and some other health issues, according to this story in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

The former USC star played in the Pro Bowl in 1986 and helped the Patriots reach the Super Bowl that same season. Known as a hard-hitting blocking back and special teams standout, he finished his NFL career with 612 rushes for 2,415 yards and 18 touchdowns.

At the time of his death, Tatupu was working as running backs coach at Curry College in Milton, Mass., just south of Boston.

He previously coached Lofa when his son played at King Philip Regional High School in Wrentham, Mass.

Don Hasselbeck, father of Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and himself a former Patriot teammate of Mosi Tatupu, told the Boston Herald he was stunned by the news.

"I'm devastated," Hasselbeck told the Herald. "We've really connected back in the last few years with Lofa and Matt being in Seattle. It was automatic. It's just a small world. Man, I remember we used to tease him because he played great in the snow, and he was from Hawaii. He had that running style, a great low base, he played so hard.

"Man, this is hard to comprehend with someone that age. It's got to be devastating for his kids. Emotional. Just, wow."

The Boston Globe reported that the elder Tatupu had taken time off from his coaching last year to spend time with Lofa and his family in Seattle.

"He missed them and stuff and he wanted to go to spend time with them, and I'm glad he did it," Curry head coach Skip Bandini said.

"He was all of our players' favorite coach and he was all of our coaches' favorite coach. ... You're not going to meet a better person on the planet."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/195637.asp

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
That's horrible! R.I.P. :(

He played my favorite and unappreciated position as a Fullback. All I can really remember from back then was his Patriots run to the Super Bowl as underdogs. Also, this... GBR!

Stealth

May 8, 2002
lol hes not a steeler saint cowboy or 49er lol
So your least favorite teams have almost 50% of the combined Super Bowl championships? You're just bitter man!!

RIP - So many NFL players die at such a young age. No pads, no doctors, no money, no pension.

The life expectancy of an NFL player is rumored at 55 (52 for linemen, with heavier players twice as likely to die), while the average person is 77.8.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
im not bitter. my favorite basketball team has more titles than probably 60 percent of the league combined but thats ancient history. i dont really lean on that shit too much. like steeler cowboy niner fans. and the saints are just faggots.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
i don't think we really lean on it...maybe your neurons are just primed to pick up on that shit when you hear it. i read that somewhere. either way, just curious. cuz your hate runs deep. like a sith.

Feb 14, 2004
Keep that shit out of this thread. This is about Mosi's death, not about someone else's favorite team for whatever reason.