Fixing my Beloved Yankees

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 13, 2005
Tthe Yankees have far worse issues than Giambi. Right now the Yankees rate second in the league in runs scored and twelveth in runs allowed. They are scoring enough runs to win. Jason Giambi has raised his average, and his OBP. I am not so much of an OBP that I will deny Giambi is a problem player despite the OBP, but the point is a team can live with it for now.

The major problem with the offense is Tony Womack. Womack is playing what is traditionally a power hitter's position, hitting .240/.275/.264 in the process. Believe me, there are dozens of inexpensive corner outfielders who could hit better, and a few of them play in Columbus, the Yankees' AAA farm affiliate. Mitch Jones would hit .230 and strikeout maybe 175 times in a full season, but he would slug at least .450, more than Womack is contributing.

The big problem is the Yankees' pitching staff. Kevin Brown and Jaret Wright hit the disabled list, and Carl Pavano has been less than advertised. This came as a complete shock to everyone except those of us who read Baseball Prospectus. Sean Henn has bombed in the rotation and it is time to give another pitcher a shot. It is time the Yankees gave Alex Graman another shot. Graman is posting a fine strikeout rate at AAA Columbus, and he's a lefty as well. Is he the answer? I doubt it, but you never know, and it could not be worse than trotting out Sean Henn for another start.

The bullpen has struggled outside of Mariano Rivera, Tom Gordon and Tanyon Sturtze. The Yankees have an excellent minor league pitcher in their system named Colter Bean. Bean sports an amazing 11.5 K/9 ratio. Will those numbers translate to the majors? Having watched Bean live, I figure if Chad Bradford made it, there is no reason Colter Bean can not do so as well. Minor league hurler Wayne Franklin, a lefty, has pitched well in Columbus, and also deserves a fair shot.

The big problem with the Yankees is their defense. They lack a center fielder with range. Hideki Matsui is adequate, but when your left fielder is unfamiliar with his position, it makes for some long nights. Plus, Miracle Fielding Boy's defense is inadequate, Robinson Cano's defense was questionable through the minors, and Alex Rodriguez has lost a step at third base. The Yankees should explore adding a defensive player to their lineup at the expense of offense.

If I could do ONE thing to improve the Yankees (assuming I wanted to), I would trade for a good defensive center fielder. This would improve the defense and in turn the pitching, and allow Hideki Matsui to move back to left (benching Tony Womack in the process). Any other move the Yankees can make from within, but they MUST find a defensive player for center if they hope to make a run for the pennant.

Apr 25, 2002
Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Now that Giambi seems to have fixed the problem with his swing, him, A-Rod, Sheffield, Matsui and Jeter should be able to provide more than enough offense to make up for guys like Womack or Cabrera or whoever else they need to put out there.

Want to shake things up and try to get even more runs out of these guys? Try changing the lineup to Jeter/Giambi/A-Rod/Sheffield/Matsui for a few games and see what happens... Giambi gets on base more than anyone on the team and I'm pretty sure he sees more pitches per plate appearance than a lot of em. He's not as fast as your traditional #2 guy but there's a better chance of these guys bringing him home than Martinez/Flaherty/Williams/Cabrera/whoever else they have hitting behind him. He's also a fly ball hitter and you're a lot less likely to get him to GIDP than Robinson Cano (who hits the ball on the ground probably close to 2 out of 3 times he puts the ball in play.)

Isn't Bubba Crosby a decent defensive outfielder? Why not start putting him out there regularly and see what he can do? His offense doesn't seem to be anything special but then again neither do the numbers from some of the other guys that are getting called up... But at least he has MLB experience. I'd take a slight drop in offense to get a better OF out there.

Overall I think pitching is the problem. Kevin Brown is a mess, Randy Johnson has not been as good as advertised, Pavano has been ok not great when not injured (a career year in a contract year, HMM sounds a bit like Adrian Beltre huh?) They only have 3 pitchers who have ERA's over 4 and none of them are starters. If I had to be Brian Cashman for a day I'd probably go get AJ Burnett if I want to make a run at the playoffs this year.

May 15, 2002
Drop Giambi, he's a bad luck charm.

It's something about the chemistry of the team - they have no intangibles whatsoever - Jeter's heart has been negated by the lack of one by Giambi and Arod. The team lacks heart...lol they shoulda traded for Eric Byrnes.

Apr 25, 2002
Who gives a shit about the Yankees and their problems?!? They have winning seasons year after year. I'm glad to see them struggling and not in 1st place... :dead:

May 6, 2002
I was at the Anaheim - New York game last night.
Great game.

A bunch of Yankee fans there though, straight bandwagon style. They kept chanting "let's go yankees" until the angels smashed em for 4 in the second inning. They were quiet as a church mouse from then on..as the whole stadium yelled "Yankees Suck!" and booed every Yankee player at the plate. Im not one for trash talking other teams, but since it was the Yanks, it was great.

2 for 2 so far, hopefully they will sweep the Yanks.

May 15, 2002
fuck the yankees

i smartened up and bet against them tonight - gawd they suck

Kevin Brown needs to spray himself

superb, they just showed christina aguilera on tv sporting the spankees hat

Apr 25, 2002
^Maybe she should have came in instead of Alex Graman tonight. She couldn't have done any worse.

Jesus the Yankees have horrible pitching. Wow. I mean this is beyond laughable now, it's just baffling. How can any GM in baseball assemble such a terrible pitching staff. It makes no sense. Brian Cashman can't possibly get another job in baseball after the Yankees finally get rid of him.

May 15, 2002
No way the yanks get swept 4 games by the angels - smart me bet on the spanks

Robinson Cano made a great catch in the bottom of the 8th - should be a highlight on sports center

The series in New York should be interesting, Yanks will def be looking for some payback