Dunleavey got his extension

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Forward Mike Dunleavy signed a five-year, $44 million contract extension with the Golden State Warriors on Monday, hours before a deadline that would have made him a restricted free agent after the season.

Dunleavy, the third overall pick in the 2002 draft, started 79 games for the Warriors last season, averaging a career-best 13.4 points along with 5.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. He is the sixth member of Golden State's promising young core to sign for at least the next four seasons.

Though he has developed slowly during three losing campaigns in Golden State, the club firmly believes the young forward has better days ahead -- and he returned the feeling by turning down potential free agency.

"I think I'm coming along well," Dunleavy said. "I got off to a rocky start early on. There were a lot of expectations, and they already had a bunch of players at my position. Through that, I've persevered, and I'm well on my way. I'm pleased with where I'm at and where I'm headed."

Dunleavy was a reserve as a rookie, averaging just 5.7 points and playing sparingly for coach Eric Musselman. Dunleavy's average increased to 11.7 points in his second year while he started 69 games, but the forward's solid passing was offset by spotty defense and an inconsistent perimeter game.

He improved quickly and finished strong last season under new coach Mike Montgomery, with 48 percent shooting -- 43 percent on 3-pointers -- over the final 34 games.

Chris Mullin, the Warriors' head of basketball operations, has long viewed Dunleavy as a key complement to Golden State's revamped lineup around Baron Davis. The extension, finalized about six hours before the deadline, capped weeks of negotiations between the Warriors and Dunleavy's agent, Arn Tellem.

"The way Mike performed, the way he conducted himself and the way we run our organization, we both felt it was something that we wanted," Mullin said. "We're still putting together a team and not just individuals. Mike's ability to play with the guys that we have on our roster, along with his age and his development ... are what it's about."

Dunleavy, who will make $4.5 million this season, is the son of Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy. The younger Dunleavy's first purchase with his new paycheck was two season tickets to watch the Warriors, who have sold more than 4,000 new season tickets in anticipation of the new year.

The contract is the latest in a series of hefty deals approved by Warriors owner Chris Cohan, who has been regularly castigated locally for his team's curious management decisions during 11 straight seasons out of the playoffs.

The Warriors now have long-term deals with Dunleavy, Davis, Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy, Derek Fisher and Adonal Foyle totaling roughly $313 million.

"I'm a big person on loyalty," Dunleavy said. "I really wanted to stay here and be here. They made me a very fair offer. I don't think Chris Cohan probably sees this as a discount, but I think it's fair for both sides."

Golden State also announced its opening-night roster for Wednesday's home game against Atlanta, and it included undrafted rookie guard Aaron Miles, the Big 12's career assists leader at Kansas. Injured forward Ike Diogu and fellow rookie Monta Ellis will open the year on the inactive list.

Apr 1, 2002
Dumbleavy's a fucking flop, season opener stats against the HAWKS:

Minutes: 38
3-10 FG-A
1-5 3 Ptrs.
4-15 overall shooting
SEVEN TURNOVERS, FUCKING SEVEN
11 PTS.

GARBELL.

The frenchman's stats:

Minutes: 23
6-9 FG-A
1-1 3 ptrs.
7-10 overall shooting
1 T/O
20 PTS.

Apr 1, 2002
AC Transit said:
^ 1st game of the year, no big deal

the only stat that counts is the W
True but his play tonight was UNACCEPTABLE and should not be overlooked regardless of if it's 1st game; especially after getting an extension. He fucks up more than he does good.

May 15, 2002
Dunleavey is not a star in any way, never has been even at duke. He's a glorified role player/the third or fourth option on the team and he plays that role well. I think he's a good piece to the puzzle. Mullin has signed all the main pieces now and now the team knows the core will be together for the next several years - there's actually now some sort of stability in GS now which is good.

Nov 1, 2004
HIs play last night was pretty awful, I hope he was just trying too hard like murph and j-rich last year after they got their big contracts. He better settle down and produce or he is gonna hear it from the fans!

Apr 25, 2002
Mean Mugg said:
True but his play tonight was UNACCEPTABLE and should not be overlooked regardless of if it's 1st game; especially after getting an extension. He fucks up more than he does good.
You must have missed the beginning of last season after Richardson and Murphy signed their deals...when it took J-Rich atliest 2 games before he made a jumpshot. Dunleavy had the second best +/- ratio for the Warriors last season right behind Davis when he came aboard, to say he fucks up more then he does good is retarted. Ive never been a huge fan of him but Ill take him anyday over Jamison and his max deal. He's a team player, he's versatile and still improving. Lets wait til the season is over til we start bashing him.

Apr 1, 2002
3VID3NC3 said:
You must have missed the beginning of last season after Richardson and Murphy signed their deals...when it took J-Rich atliest 2 games before he made a jumpshot. Dunleavy had the second best +/- ratio for the Warriors last season right behind Davis when he came aboard, to say he fucks up more then he does good is retarted. Ive never been a huge fan of him but Ill take him anyday over Jamison and his max deal. He's a team player, he's versatile and still improving. Lets wait til the season is over til we start bashing him.
Wait til the season is over til we bash him? HAHA that's what people said last season and the year before that. This is his 4th season and I'll bash him everytime he pisses me off like he did the past 3 seasons. I'll take him over Jamison's max deal as well, ain't nobody pissed me off more than Jamison but Jamison and Dunleavy got 2 things in common, softies that don't dunk and their both 6'9". Sure he's improving, what player in his young years aren't? Jamison was improving his 4th season but not ENOUGH, I'm sorry to say we got another Jamison on our hands. I sure hope I'm wrong about Dunleavy this season but he never ceases to amaze me in a negative way, gotta stay consistent in this business.

Apr 25, 2002
Mean Mugg said:
Wait til the season is over til we bash him? HAHA that's what people said last season and the year before that. This is his 4th season and I'll bash him everytime he pisses me off like he did the past 3 seasons. I'll take him over Jamison's max deal as well, ain't nobody pissed me off more than Jamison but Jamison and Dunleavy got 2 things in common, softies that don't dunk and their both 6'9".
What Im sayin is one game doesn't mean shit..All players have bad nights
Dunleavy averaged around 15/5/3 when Baron Davis was on the team..if he keeps that going this season Ill be happy.

Apr 1, 2002
3VID3NC3 said:
What Im sayin is one game doesn't mean shit..All players have bad nights
Dunleavy averaged around 15/5/3 when Baron Davis was on the team..if he keeps that going this season Ill be happy.
I feel you, alls I'm sayin is I'm skeptical of Dun, he hasn't proven himself to me yet, reminds me and makes me feel the same way of Jamison when he was with the Warriors. I'm really not thrilled with his extension with Pietrus' contract coming up. Pietrus = better SF, better scorer and better defender, he is our premier on-the-ball defender, don't forget that. I really thought we were gonna dump dun and keep Pietrus but looks like the opposite will happen next season.

ComputerNerd

Graphic Artist
Apr 25, 2002
i love MP, but his ego is bigger than anyone's on the warriors, and that gets him in trouble !! his shot selection is pretty bad, he had a GREAT 1st game, but he's gonna start bitchin about playing time, which he has a case, BUT too many chefs can spoil the soup. u need players to know their role on the team, and i hope Peiturs can find his role, or he'll be gone.

comparing Dun Jr. to Jamison is like apples and oranges.
Jamison is a scorer, and dosen't rebound nearly as well as he should, he worked on his 3, but he has no D, and can't pass worth shit........Dun Jr. can do a little bit of everything, nothing GREAT, but everything pretty well..........

2 points, everyone is hard on Dun cuz before Baron came, he was suppose to be the 2nd option behind Richardson, but now he can play the 3rd or 4th role, behind Baron, JRIch and TMurph on some nights. Dun will have some great games, and some sub par games, everyone will................

as for Jamison, again, the warriors tried to make him a "franchise" player, but he is a 2nd or even 3rd option type of player........look at him with Wiz, last year had Gil and Larry Hughes to help him.

SLUSHED TIME FRIDAY NITE VS. JAZZZZZZ

Apr 1, 2002
AC Transit said:
don't think its dunleaveys fault

THEY JUST NEED TO STOP SHOOTING SO MANY DAMN JUMPERS

take it to the hole or something
I never said it was his fault but he sure as fuck contributes to our losses. I wasn't speaking specifically on tonight's game, I'm speaking on the whole 7 games thus far! I was holding the talkin for 7 games! He's consistently playing very inconsistently. YOu seriously like keeping this guy? Give me a break dude. I don't even know why he's in the NBA let alone a starter, MP for starting SF position!

0-4 from the field this game.

MPG 32.8 FG%.263 3PT%.207 FT% .667 RPG 4.5

But since I'm talkin now, I got a feelin he's gonna kill the Bulls next game, highly doubt it but I got a feeling.