Dual Boot System

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
I have microsoft windows xp professional 64bit edition and I want to put a home version of xp on to my second hard drive because a lot of stuff is incompatible with the 64bit version. I have one question though will I be able to access the programs and data on the first hard drive while I use the second one? Thanks.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
You can install both OS' on the single hard drive and use the second a.k.a. the slave as just storage. You just have to install the operating systems according to chronological order. I've never installed XP 64bit but I'm assuming it's the same....

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Yeah but I don't want to lose all of the programs and drivers I have on my first hard drive. But the 64bit os is just like the regular except a lot of hardware and programs wont work on it.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Ok so I cleared off my second hard drive and I have a windows xp home edition disc. But do I need a boot loader application???

Evil Jesus

Its All Evil Jesus!
May 22, 2006
you can have 2 partitions on the same hard drive. like a 120gig split to 60/60 then you could install 2 diff windows OS on one hard drive. youd have to have a dual boot screen to which you would choose which windows version you wanted though. say like beta vista and xp.. it can be done using norton partition magic.

May 1, 2003
MKB said:
Ok so I cleared off my second hard drive and I have a windows xp home edition disc. But do I need a boot loader application???

You only need a boot loader if more than one operating system is on single hard drive. Since you are using a seperate physical drive you just need to Change your booting order in bios to which ever drive you want to use. If you did create a partioion on your current hd for your 32 bit Windows and installed it on there , Windows built in boot loader will give you the option to select. I think the route you are going on a seperate physical disk is your safest route.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Thanks for all the help. I finally figured out how to get the boot.ini to work right so taht it will ask me which os to load but I had an error in XP home. I think it was because of the crack I used so I did a reformat and I am reinstalling Windows on to the second hard drive. If anyone knows of a good crack to stop the 30 day thing on the new windows that would be great.