Donovan Slams Beckham

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 5, 2004
Putting the Ham in Beckham
By Lee Russakoff
Thu, 02 Jul 2009 15:09:06 GMT
Remember all that noise about David Beckham bringing soccer to America? Yea ... not so much.

In The Beckham Experiment, a new book by Grant Wahl, Landon Donovan takes a few bites out of the Beckham aura. The L.A. Galaxy's second-most famous player calls out the captain for a lack of leadership, a lack of commitment and a generally laissez-faire attitude.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," Donovan said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us." ...

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'." ...

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."

In other words, "Blue's dead. Frank's divorced. I lost my house. Nicole thinks I'm a total jackass. And now we got nine kids who are gonna get expelled from school, and you're not even gonna help them."

Donovan went on to say he can't take much more of this tomfoolery.

"Let's say he does stay here three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f------ miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."

The irony: Donovan did more for American soccer last weekend in South Africa than Beckham could ever hope to do.

The lesson: Importing foreign talent to American leagues is not the answer. Building a national program that can compete on the international level is. We're Americans. We want to be the best at everything. If we aren't, we deem it unimportant.

Case(s) in point: the Winter Olympics, math, science, women's synchronized swimming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is pretty true though. Beckham will play an LA game, then disappear to go play in games in Europe. lol

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
In other words, "Blue's dead. Frank's divorced. I lost my house. Nicole thinks I'm a total jackass. And now we got nine kids who are gonna get expelled from school, and you're not even gonna help them."

I had to read that a couple times before I realized he was referencing Old School.

Apr 25, 2002
I read this the other day. Beckham isn't elite in soccer, and I rather have Donovan on my squad at least he can create opportunities. Beckham is only good on set plays...

Most overrated soccer player of all time= Beckham.
Beckham played well @ AC. He didnt play well every game, but he still is great from set pieces and his passing is off the chain. He's, what, 34? Can't expect him to be as good as he was with MU and RM.

Sep 4, 2002
Beckham played well @ AC. He didnt play well every game, but he still is great from set pieces and his passing is off the chain. He's, what, 34? Can't expect him to be as good as he was with MU and RM.
I didn't even think Beckham was THAT good at Madrid.Granted he was older. but still. just my opinion tho. He killed for man U tho

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
How? Beckham looked good in Man U and Real Madrid because he was surrounded by stars. On a team where he has to be "the guy," he can't. The guy is a role player.

two differences.

1. 1 player dominates mexico every time they play

2. Donovan only MAKES people his bitch
LOL...

This guy cannot go one minute w/out mentioning Mexico.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
you have to be the only Mexico supporter to ever say something like this.
Just because I support Mexico doesn't mean I'm going to hate people or teams that beat them the last time the played, or the last ten years when it comes to the US.

I'm not a homer like you who only talks well about the team he supports, I'm a fan of soccer and recognize skill on whoever, even if it is L. Donovan.

Sep 4, 2002
Just because I support Mexico doesn't mean I'm going to hate people or teams that beat them the last time the played, or the last ten years when it comes to the US.

I'm not a homer like you who only talks well about the team he supports, I'm a fan of soccer and recognize skill on whoever, even if it is L. Donovan.
just because your a modest mexico fan that says he appreciates donovan doesnt make you the shit. Yeah I love my squad. but that doesn't mean I just Watch them. like you are implying... lol

And im sure you know Landon Donovan is the most hated dude in mexico(soccer wise) thats why it surprised me that you even said he was good and you that you actually LIKE his game.