Does anyone care about the Stanley Cup

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 25, 2006
I'm from Canada, and I notice theres nothing about the NHL on here, does anyone on this board give a fuck about hockey. Its huge up here, its like a religon to some people. Let me know your thoughts, and where ur from, and why you don't care

Sep 1, 2003
of course it's like religon in canada.......barely any fools on here care bout it

i watch from time to time......it's more fun to play hockey than to watch it.

but i hope oilers win...they should've won the first game too.

Jan 3, 2006
WTF is the stanley cup

haha naa jk..naa i've never been chillin wit my homies and heard some foo

bring up hockey or anyone i know in that matter. Its just not common up in

Sun Valley.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I'm from Pittsburgh. I was a huge Penguins fan back in the day when they had Jagr and Lemuieux and won back to back Stanley cup championships. Used to play deck hockey and shit like that. I still try to watch the Penguins once in a while now, just cuz of Sidney Crosby...but the organization is so fucked up compared to the early 90's that its hard for me to enjoy a game. Now that there's a cba and a salary cap, I think it'll become more competitive like football and more people will watch it. But as of now...I doubt the last remaining sanctuary for gangsta rap is gonna have a lot of hockey fans...but everytime I say something like that I always get proven wrong.

I did go to 2 games this year...I watched Fleury start for the first time, plus Crosby, Lemiuex, Recchi, LeClair, etc. (i think). I really didnt like watching Gonchar play defense...he wasn't as good as I expected him to be.

But that's basically all I know about hockey now a days.

Mar 25, 2006
Im from a place called Regina Saskatchewan in Canada, so its about 8 hours away from Edmonton, which is the closest city with an NHL team to where I am. I can't skate worth shit, but street hockey is fun. I like to watch hockey on TV, but the hockey players (like age 14-20) or so, they are just dumb jocks, and they do gay shit with eachother when they go on road trips and shit, so I'm glad I never got into playing hockey. But anyway, I have no idea why I'm bringing that up. I just wondering how much a ticket costs for an NHL game??

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I just wondering how much a ticket costs for an NHL game??
In Pittsburgh (we finished last in the NHL before this season) you can get a ticket for around 10-15 bucks with a student ID. Not good seats, but still cheap as hell.

Ten years ago you couldnt get a ticket for less than like 75-100 dollars. That would sometimes triple or quadruple over the playoffs. I've probably been to about 30 or 40 pro hockey games, and the stands used to be packed to the brim, and the last time I went they were probably only 50% full.

May 6, 2002
Ducks fan right here.

Hockey is trying to gain fans back and competing with the World Cup as well as the NBA finals at the same time.

Carolina vs Edmonton, comon now.
That is basically a repeat of 04 (Tampa vs Calgary).

Yes, I am a hockey fan. I just dont agree with what the NHL is doing right now.

Mar 25, 2006
Stealth - the shitty thing for you guys is that u had to suffer through 4-5 shitty seasons, and now that they have a good future with Sidney Crosby and Fluery, there prolly gonna move the team to a city that cares less.
714KaliHydro - What don't you like about what the NHL is doing, the new rules, the penalties for bullshit, the salary cap. I personally would like to see a lot less penalties called, more fights, and more physical play,I like the new salary cap, and some of the new rules, like allowing 2 line passes like in Europe. The Ducks are going to be a really good team in the future. The GM Burke is probably the smartest GM in the league, and i think Vanouver made a mistake by firing him. And from what I see from the Coach Carlyle, hes pretty good. If there goalie brizgalov or whatever the fuck it is can play like he did in the playoffs, and the defense plays well in front of him, they'll be a contender next year. They just need to trade away JS Gugiere, for an enforcer or a big power forward. Gugiere is a decent goalie, but not that athletic, hes just good at getting in good position and cutting down the angle of the shots.

May 6, 2002
Im half and half on the new rules. Some I agree with (2 line pass, delay of game, etc.) and some I don't (strict on the physical aspect).

I think their marketing stinks, big time. That is my biggest problem. They know the market is low, and they are setting up shop to make it larger and it is effecting game play. Too many BS calls makes me think they are literally trying to control how the playoffs and finals go in order to increase revenue (not uncommon in sports). Hockey took a hit and the NHL needs to understand that. They need the people and the advertisers to have faith in them. In order to do that, they cannot be greedy. They are raising prices (boradcasting channels, radios, ads, etc.), in order to get back money they lost due to the lockout but it will hurt them in the long run of things.

The Ducks are already a great team. I like JS Gugiere. To move Ilya to the front, and have Giggy has a backup would be solid. Our defense is great, and we have some of the fastests skates on the ice. We just need to beef up our offense (which we did with our rookies this year). We will be contenders again next year.

I lived in Canada for two years. It's like no other sport exists out there (some MMA, but thats it).

May 15, 2002
It seems me and ^this guy are just about the only people who are interested in hockey. My father is from Winnipeg, so hockey's been my sport of choice (to watch) my whole life. I was a real big Penguins and Maple Leafs fan growing up, but I don't really have any favorite teams anymore..I just enjoy watching hockey, it doesn't make much of a difference to me who's playing (but I'm still loyal to the Pens and Leafs).

And I don't think Edmonton has that good of a chance against Carolina. I said it in another thread and I'll say it again: They have yet to face a truly good team in the playoffs. The Wings were just too old, and the Sharks and Ducks were just streaking teams. Carolina was probably the most consistent team for most of the season in the league and they present a true challenge to the Oilers.

Who gives a fuck, though, as long as we get to see some good hockey.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Fuck yeah hockey is where it's at.

I'm from Seattle and played hockey for 10 years. There really isn't much of a hockey scene up there so I played most of my games up in Canada in British Columbia. I love Canada, if I could go back about 4 years I would have made plans to move up there after high school.

Anyone that says they hate hockey either doesn't understand it, could never skate, or could not afford it therefore they're just bitter. It truly is the best game in the world.

Watch out for my boy T.J. Oshie, he's gonna be comin up in the next couple years with the St Louis Blues. Dude's gonna tear the fuckin NHL up.

May 6, 2002
I like the Maple Leafs as well.
They just can't seem to put it together. They have the pieces, but for some reason each year is a let down. I personally cannot figure it out. They just don't play to their potential and it leaves me scratching my head every year.

Tai Domi is a savage...

May 15, 2002
714KaliHydro said:
I like the Maple Leafs as well.
They just can't seem to put it together. They have the pieces, but for some reason each year is a let down. I personally cannot figure it out. They just don't play to their potential and it leaves me scratching my head every year.

Tai Domi is a savage...
I feel you on that. I'm not sure what it is either, but they've been a disappointment for a loooooong time. Even when they were in the playoffs, there was something missing and it killed them.

And I agree, Domi is a sav. Definately my favorite enforcer of all time.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
ghetto_chef said:
Stealth - the shitty thing for you guys is that u had to suffer through 4-5 shitty seasons, and now that they have a good future with Sidney Crosby and Fluery, there prolly gonna move the team to a city that cares less.
We're still all hopeful down here that they'll keep the team...the city is pushing really hard to build a new stadium (the civic arena is the oldest stadium in hockey, let alone sports) but we're waiting to pass a law that allows gambling inside the arena to attract more people so the arena doesnt lose revenue. Its just a shame that we have Sidney Crosby and we still can't attract people to the game, thats not a good sign. But now that we're gonna have a new coach/GM, and people are aware that the Pens could go to Kansas City or something, I think big changes are about to occur.