Do attractive people have better lives?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 8, 2005
there's a lot of ugly rich people. and they get to date the symmetricals because they are rich. maybe i don't need to be hotter, i just need to learn some advanced computer programming or other technical skill and get so rich that i can buy my way onto TV and such.
maybe you should just start putting out

Mar 9, 2005
In some respects it's true, but not necessarily. An extremely attractive woman might have a higher chance of getting a job or landing a movie role - if the boss wants to sleep with them (or believes they'll appeal more to the 'audience'). It can also work against them though. A lot of female employers would feel threatened and inferior to such an attractive woman and wouldn't want the competition and thus wouldn't hire them, all because of their good looks (same applies to males).

Also, being extremely attractive puts people on the back foot. For example, you're at a party with a group of friends and a gorgeous woman/man is introduced to the group. Most of the time people in the group will immediately dislike the person simply because they're attractive and they'll sub-consciously tell themselves 'sure you're good looking, now you have to prove to me that you're not shallow or bitchy'. People always feel more relaxed and comfortable around the clown than they do around the prom queen.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
In some respects it's true, but not necessarily. An extremely attractive woman might have a higher chance of getting a job or landing a movie role - if the boss wants to sleep with them (or believes they'll appeal more to the 'audience'). It can also work against them though. A lot of female employers would feel threatened and inferior to such an attractive woman and wouldn't want the competition and thus wouldn't hire them, all because of their good looks (same applies to males).

Also, being extremely attractive puts people on the back foot. For example, you're at a party with a group of friends and a gorgeous woman/man is introduced to the group. Most of the time people in the group will immediately dislike the person simply because they're attractive and they'll sub-consciously tell themselves 'sure you're good looking, now you have to prove to me that you're not shallow or bitchy'. People always feel more relaxed and comfortable around the clown than they do around the prom queen.
true statements. i know some very attractive women that people just hate for no reason at all. just because they are fundamentally attractive.

Mar 4, 2007
i wrote a psychology paper bout this..

shit, i can't upload the pdf, but if you wanna research the title and authors of the research article, here is its...its only like 6 pages with writing, and a lot of pictures lol.
Found in Psychological Science

Attractive Faces Are Only Average
Judith H. Langlois and Lori A. Roggman

i found many other articles talking about this subject, but i only needed to one article for the paper, and well i'm a lazy ass and only read one or two..

but yeah i would suggest going to a library and researching this, somepretty interesting shit(i say library because you get more access to e-books/e-articles than internet alone) and then you can discuss this topic more thoroughly..

and btw, i think looks can be compared to a resume, it may get you the attention and the time for the interview, but its not whats gonna get you the job. Well of course, you can't take this literally because in hollywood, looks IS what gets you the job only.

Who's to say anyone is beautiful anyways, if its all based on symmetry then the rest is just cultural bullshit..

but i dunno maybe i'm a real hippie, but i find beautiful people to be loving and caring and real, the physical body is just some visual bs anyways..

Nov 24, 2003
Who's to say anyone is beautiful anyways, if its all based on symmetry then the rest is just cultural bullshit

Actually there are SPECIFIC cross-cultural criteria to be considered "beautiful" and they are simply evolved psyschological mechanisms for detecting primarily fertility, health, good genes and reproductive value.

In other words, beauty is not arbitrary at all.

Symmetry is one very important element of "beauty" along with many other sex dependent things such as large eyes in women and a strong jaw in men.

Mar 4, 2007
Actually there are SPECIFIC cross-cultural criteria to be considered "beautiful" and they are simply evolved psyschological mechanisms for detecting primarily fertility, health, good genes and reproductive value.

In other words, beauty is not arbitrary at all.

Symmetry is one very important element of "beauty" along with many other sex dependent things such as large eyes in women and a strong jaw in men.
i know thats what i was saying, other than the psychological norms.
i was going to give an example, but i would like to add that women are publicly called beautiful and are actually fake(fake blonde hair, fake tan skin) but in other cultures, like let's say traditional japanese culture, light skin means that you are high class and being tan is not wanted.

So THAT is what i meant by cultural bullshit.

but yes, there are "beauty norms" including a symmetrical face, thats what i learned in that research article for my psychology paper.

i don't know the best way to upload a pdf without a link, because i downloaded that pdf from a private library link.
well, i'll figure it out..

i'll look up a couple more when im at the library tomorrow, got a fat ass hinduism project due.

well good to hear you're interested, always happy to help

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
I used to get called "bug eyes" when I was in grade school, but now I'm leading the race in the beauty olympics and I didn't even know it! I hope those mean kids that taunted me are assymmetrical, squint-eyed and weak-jawed today.