Digital Performer saved files conversion

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
I have a data cd with a song tracked out on it. The only problem is, it was done in Digital Performer, and though I can see all the different files for the sounds, I can't open any of the sounds. Is there some sort of conversion utility I can use to open them up on my PC? I'd like to load them into pro tools (on a PC), and finish up the mix in there.

By the way, none of the audio files end in any extensions. I've tried loading them up and they will not load whatsoever, unless of course I loaded them up on a computer with Digital Performer.

May 17, 2002
did you try typing the extensions on the end? sometimes that works, but most times it dosnt, and maybe they exported the files wrong, but have you looked in the file properties to see what they actually are? hope that helps any. oh is it midi or audio? if its midi you might have to go into the midi file and see if their is a setting in there preventing you to open it. but it sounds like they just gave you the bundle file and you will most likely need digital performer.

May 2, 2002
They are audio files, but there is no extension at the end of them. I tried adding .wav to the end and loading them, it wouldn't load. Also tried .aiff and the same thing. And I did remember to set the folder options to display the full extension while looking at it.

If anyone knows of ANY type of conversion utility it would be greatly appreciated. I need to convert it ASAP.

May 17, 2002
like i said it sounds like they either exported the waves wrong or they sent you the bundle file, and i have never heard of a program that can convert a bundle but i could be wrong, you might just have to get them to redo it. i bet they will work just fine if you have the digi per. maybe try downloading a trial version and see if you can open it and then see if you can export the files

May 2, 2002
what's the digi per?

I've already tried loading them up in Pro Tools, they will not load. But they will load in digital performer. If it were a bundle file, wouldn't it be just one file? I doubt it's the bundle file, because the cd has the file with the name of the song, then there's a folder that says "audio" and it has all the audio tracks for the song, but there's no extension at the end of any of them. It won't load in shit, except Digital Performer. Is there some sort of encryption Digital Performer puts on all the audio tracks it exports with a song?

sgc - I did try the *.aiff extension

This cd has just one song on it, and all the separate audio tracks are supposedly in the audio directory, but for whatever reason, they won't load unless I use digital performer.

May 17, 2002
digi per is my abbreviation....lol sorry, well if it does open in digital performer then it has to be some kind of bundle file cuz it wouldnt make sence that it would open in that and not in anything else, and it might not just be one file, it could have the what i call "map" file and then cache itself in a folder you assign it to, and it would still not be able to load up, have you tried just opening it in digital performer and then exporting it track by track and then loading them into pro tools? i hate it when shit like this happens and you are just stumped and noone can really seem to give you the answers you are looking for...lol i had the same problem when i was trying to figure out how to figure out how to rip volume data from a midi file. if all else fails try here
www.tweakheadz.com their forum has some smart cats there that should be able to help, and you usually get an answer pretty quick.

May 2, 2002
Unfortunately I don't have Digital Performer, which is why this is such a pain in the ass. Luckily, I do have a homey that has it, so I'll try bringing it over there.

The one thing that's really stumping me, is in the audio directory it has each track, named and everything (kick, snare, bass, etc) but they will not open in anything but digi per.

Alright, well thanks for al the help man, much appreciated.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Got this from the Digital Performer website:

"Using the OMF Interchange format you can import your AudioDesk or Digital Performer projects into ProTools while also transferring your region edits and crossfades. Midi data isn't included (this can be saved separately as a Standard Midi File).

In the File menu of your project choose Save As. Under File Format choose "OMF Interchange" and save the file. The program will create a separate OMF File. In your ProTools Folder you should find a utility titled "OMF Tool" or you can use the link below to download it. Launch OMF tool and from the top menu choose "Convert OMF to ProTools/SD2". Locate the OMF file and choose "OK". You now have a ProTools Project.

Currently the OMF tool is working with 16 bit files, not 24 bit files. If you need to create a 24 bit OMF, save your 24 bit DP file using the same steps mentioned above, then use DigiDesign's Digi Translator software instead of OMF Tool from conversion from OMF to PT session.

The OMF tool and Digi Translator are currently available at Digidesign's web site (www.digidesign.com).

DP3 or higher also opens the OMF format!"

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Here's a second part:

"OMF export problems Using the OMF Interchange format you can import your AudioDesk or Digital Performer projects into ProTools.

See FAQ "OMF Interchange and ProTools" for specific directions.

If you encounter problems with exporting, like strange error messages or other problems, try the following trouble shooting:

Make sure you're in a 16 bit file as 24 bit isn't supported correctly by Digi's OMF format.

UN check the automation check box in the save as dialog box, as automation doesn't export well as part of an OMF file.

If you get strange error messages, try allocating more RAM to DP by finding the Digital Performer Program icon, clicking on it, hitting the "CMD" and "i" keys, and typing in a higher number under preferred size, in the memory pull down window. 40 megs might be a good place to start."

I'd make copies of everything before trying anything though. Don't wanna lose everything somehow.

Hope this stuff helps.

Doxx