Derrick Rose

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 28, 2005
okay, so I've seen in the past how many of y'all are hard on D.Rose dick and when its been almost a week and I haven't seen anything posted about it, I'm not exactly surprised.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090531/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_redeeming_rose

the allegations are that Derrick Rose had a HIGH SCHOOL grade changed from a D to a C, and had a 'stand in' take his SAT for him.

Now I'm not posting this because I'm a Derrick Rose "hater" like so many of you assume, I just feel he's over hyped and given too much credit too soon.

I'm posting it for this reason: academics vs. professional athleticism.

Should athletes be held accountable for their academic careers, even if its clear that they will go pro?

I mean, lets be honest... playing basketball like you were taught by Jesus himself is one thing, and academic excellence is quite another. You dont need to know how to write a narrative essay to get a huge NBA contract. Conversely, you dont need to be the best player on campus to write a good fucking essay.

But this is my problem- should we as a society allow complete fucking fools who cant read, write, or do math- to collect multi-million dollar contracts? "Picture jewels being handed to an innocent child."

Lets keep it real fellas, every last one of you knows an over-privileged rich ass kid (or has known one) who grew up with wealthy parents and has everything money can buy- but they don't deserve a god damned penny of it, aren't RESPONSIBLE enough to have that kind of money/power, and don't do anything at all positive with their cash.

Now I'm not saying Derrick Rose is this type of person. In all reality, from what I've read at least, he's been very charitable with his money. He doesn't seem to have the type of character to head into a Chicago night club and accidentally shoot himself with an unregistered pistol he carries in case someone might try to rob him of his ridiculously and arrogantly expensive jewelry that plays no part in his life other than proving to you he has money (cough, Plax, cough).

Now the bottom line is, D. Rose can ball me up seven ways to sunday. I know that. But if you put the both of us in a class room in any academic institution in this country and give us both work to turn in, I'm going to make him look like a middle school drop out who can't pronounce big words.

I just recently saw a quote from Dwight Howard's twitter on ESPN, and the way he typed and used grammar was that of a 14 year old girl on myspace. I felt bad to know that's the way the guy communicates with words.

I suppose the point is this: where do we draw the line? Sure, you may be able to physically dominate a football field, basketball court, baseball diamond etc., but at what point to we sit down and say "as great as you are at your sport, you're too damn stupid to have control of this much money."

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

you could tell from his interviews that hes not the smartest guy...

but, who cares? he gets paid to play basketball

Feb 23, 2003
Fresno, CALIF.
look i've met drose a couple times, he is a caring kid. not really outspoken and obviously a baller. he has nothing to do with the shit that happened to him and he continues to deny that he did. If they cheated, they cheated. that shouldnt take way from the fact he's a the ROTY and a fuckin sav on the court.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
okay, so I've seen in the past how many of y'all are hard on D.Rose dick and when its been almost a week and I haven't seen anything posted about it, I'm not exactly surprised.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090531/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_redeeming_rose

the allegations are that Derrick Rose had a HIGH SCHOOL grade changed from a D to a C, and had a 'stand in' take his SAT for him.

Now I'm not posting this because I'm a Derrick Rose "hater" like so many of you assume, I just feel he's over hyped and given too much credit too soon.

I'm posting it for this reason: academics vs. professional athleticism.

Should athletes be held accountable for their academic careers, even if its clear that they will go pro?

I mean, lets be honest... playing basketball like you were taught by Jesus himself is one thing, and academic excellence is quite another. You dont need to know how to write a narrative essay to get a huge NBA contract. Conversely, you dont need to be the best player on campus to write a good fucking essay.

But this is my problem- should we as a society allow complete fucking fools who cant read, write, or do math- to collect multi-million dollar contracts? "Picture jewels being handed to an innocent child."

Lets keep it real fellas, every last one of you knows an over-privileged rich ass kid (or has known one) who grew up with wealthy parents and has everything money can buy- but they don't deserve a god damned penny of it, aren't RESPONSIBLE enough to have that kind of money/power, and don't do anything at all positive with their cash.

Now I'm not saying Derrick Rose is this type of person. In all reality, from what I've read at least, he's been very charitable with his money. He doesn't seem to have the type of character to head into a Chicago night club and accidentally shoot himself with an unregistered pistol he carries in case someone might try to rob him of his ridiculously and arrogantly expensive jewelry that plays no part in his life other than proving to you he has money (cough, Plax, cough).

Now the bottom line is, D. Rose can ball me up seven ways to sunday. I know that. But if you put the both of us in a class room in any academic institution in this country and give us both work to turn in, I'm going to make him look like a middle school drop out who can't pronounce big words.

I just recently saw a quote from Dwight Howard's twitter on ESPN, and the way he typed and used grammar was that of a 14 year old girl on myspace. I felt bad to know that's the way the guy communicates with words.

I suppose the point is this: where do we draw the line? Sure, you may be able to physically dominate a football field, basketball court, baseball diamond etc., but at what point to we sit down and say "as great as you are at your sport, you're too damn stupid to have control of this much money."
Why would anyone post this!! This is some high school shit that wont effect a NBA cat!! U just mad u got raped this year in your Stuckey vs. Rose thread and now u reachin to find somethin on Rose that aint even hoop related!! Bwehahahahah try again!! And it will always be.....Rose>Stuckey!! Got Em!!

Feb 17, 2008
Good question, how many NBA players(or any professional athletes) have you watched in interviews or read their blogs and come away saying "what a dumb fuck"? People look up to these guys as role models. especially kids, when they see that this dude failed classes and had someone take a test for him and still is making millions, what is that saying to our youth? "you don't need to do well in school, just focus on athletics and everything will work out"? It is pretty ridiculous, but the NBA and colleges arent going to do a damn thing about it.

Nov 24, 2003
Should athletes be held accountable for their academic careers

No.

What does academics have to do with basketball ability? They are being paid for their basketball ability. No where in the NBA does it say the best basketball player must be a blend of athletic and academics.

Judging someone by academic criteria is no nobler and is as equally arbitrary as judging by athletic success.

Should accountants be held accountable for their athletic careers?

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
accountants arent on a national stage with millions of little kids looking up to them either...for every derrick rose there are about 100,000 kids that tried to do the same thing academically but didnt make the nba...where are they now?? workin at a car wash or in the system...

Nov 24, 2003
accountants arent on a national stage with millions of little kids looking up to them either...for every derrick rose there are about 100,000 kids that tried to do the same thing academically but didnt make the nba...where are they now?? workin at a car wash or in the system...

What does being on a national stage or having millions of little looking up to them have to do with anything?

That is more examples of arbitrary value judgments.

You individually are creating the criteria that someone must be a role model for kids because they are on a national stage. Just because other people may feel the same way doesn't change the relative nature of your values or make them anymore intrinsic.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
ncaa makes money off of kids
so that's why the nba mandated the 19 yr old rule.

old white men of ncaa and nba still gonna get breaded

the nba just makes the poor dumb kids wait a year or 2
maybe a few will fall through the cracks never make it to the nba and they have to pay less $$$ in the long run.
and the the ncaa gets these kids who can't cut it for a year scholasticaly and then discards them
their stock goes down and they're late round picks and make the minimum as apposed to being must have 1stt rounders outta high school

more money for the nba and ncaa

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002

Who gives a shit......Should a scientist learn how to shoot automatic jumpers and drive the lane 2, cmon man....Fuck Twitter.....Why are you on that anyways?......The players who arent smart get swindled by bitches, lawyers, family members, agents and so on....Its not right if he had the grade changed....but that shit has been happnin forever and even in these University's.....PLAY BALL...

Feb 17, 2008
What does being on a national stage or having millions of little looking up to them have to do with anything?

That is more examples of arbitrary value judgments.

You individually are creating the criteria that someone must be a role model for kids because they are on a national stage. Just because other people may feel the same way doesn't change the relative nature of your values or make them anymore intrinsic.
lol, it has to do with everything. if it werent for all those people looking up to them they wouldnt be making millions of dollars, they would just be a high school drop out that had someone cheat for them on the SATs. when you put yourself on a national, well really, international stage, you are making a commitment to the public, that you will be a role model, and cheating and getting special treatment should be punished. I know even if they do find out that he did cheat, nothing will happen to him but still. that image he portrays to us should be important to him, specially the kids.

lol ok so if kids right outta high school who cheat could get drafted....they do, they are reaaaaal good at basketball, but couldnt write a sentence, then they have a career ending injury? then what? it comes with the job, it might not be in the NBA rules, or in their contracts, but it is there, the public expects it. and if you fuck up your name will be tarnished. and thats your fault. do you not think athletes should be role models? they should be allowed to do what they want? hahaha half the mother fuckers would be dead trying to be "gangster"

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
Good question, how many NBA players(or any professional athletes) have you watched in interviews or read their blogs and come away saying "what a dumb fuck"? People look up to these guys as role models. especially kids, when they see that this dude failed classes and had someone take a test for him and still is making millions, what is that saying to our youth? "you don't need to do well in school, just focus on athletics and everything will work out"? It is pretty ridiculous, but the NBA and colleges arent going to do a damn thing about it.
who gives a shit, if parents acted like parents then they wouldnt rely on athletes to raise their kids. my role model growing up was my father. as well as both my brothers role model. i'll be damned if i let a "role model" raise my kid and help him make life decisions!!

Prop button is located below my sig to the right.

Dec 2, 2006
D. Rose got caught. How many are getting by academically because of their athletic ability? Alot more than we are aware of. It isnt right but neither is the system. anytime money is involved people will find a way. it is human nature. i dont agree with it, but i dont agree with the people implementing the "so called" rules either.

Sep 4, 2002
who gives a shit, if parents acted like parents then they wouldnt rely on athletes to raise their kids. my role model growing up was my father. as well as both my brothers role model. i'll be damned if i let a "role model" raise my kid and help him make life decisions!!

BUT PARENTS DON'T ALWAYS ACT LIKE PARENTS. and it will be like that FOREVER. There will never come a point in time where every single parent does what is needed for a child that they don't need to look else where for guidance or hope...... so where does that leave a kid to look? Derrick rose? great, I can't wait to see how they turn out

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
BUT PARENTS DON'T ALWAYS ACT LIKE PARENTS. and it will be like that FOREVER. There will never come a point in time where every single parent does what is needed for a child that they don't need to look else where for guidance or hope...... so where does that leave a kid to look? Derrick rose? great, I can't wait to see how they turn out
lol if a kid looks up to derrick rose, and cheats in college, and goes on to make millions then more power to him. but just like parents dont always act like parents, its not an athletes responsibility to put on a good guy act for these kids. if you see someone needing guidance, give it to them. theres to many people that wont take the time out to try and help someone in need figuring, well someone else will do it, or he'll find his way. im not saying your like that, all im saying is you can hold an athlete accountable for their actions influencing kids. thats like that dude that said he shot a cop cuz the 2pac song told him to. just retarded. but im not sayin that your like this. just society overall.

Feb 17, 2008

not everyone has father or brother figures to look up to.

Nov 24, 2003
lol, it has to do with everything. if it werent for all those people looking up to them they wouldnt be making millions of dollars, they would just be a high school drop out that had someone cheat for them on the SATs.
You are right, they wouldn't be succesful if people didn't look up to them or respect them enough to pay money to watch them play, but the flaw in your logic is people look up to them and respect them because of their athletic ability.

Then a fringe group of people feel that judging someone by athletic criteria alone is unfair, but your argument is not with the people who are being judged (the athletes) but with the people who are judging them (the fans). If you feel so passionately that in order to be successful in professional sports you should be judged on criteria such as academic success and athletic ability, then you need to rally your peers to not support people who don't meet that criteria.

Chastising the athletes is like getting mad at a woman for having great tits because you think she should be judged by other criteria. Well don't take it up with her, she didn't create the standard, she just happens to fall into it.

when you put yourself on a national, well really, international stage, you are making a commitment to the public, that you will be a role model, and cheating and getting special treatment should be punished. I know even if they do find out that he did cheat, nothing will happen to him but still. that image he portrays to us should be important to him, specially the kids.
See again though, where did you find this law that when you make to an international or national stage you make some commitment to the public?

People make it to that stage because the public chooses them, so they are obviously meeting whatever criteria it is the public demands to be on a public stage. If the public felt that you must be a role model in order to make it, then only role models would make it. Sense that is not the case, obviously being a role model is not a criteria.