DEEP ARTICLE WRITTEN BY JAY Z HIMSELF...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
IN MY LIFETIME

From his early days hustling in Brooklyn’s Marcy projects, to Biggie and Tupac, Foxy and R. Kelly, and the downside of rap superstardom, VIBE’s Best Solo Artist, Jay-Z, has a story to tell. Following the release of his seventh solo studio album, The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse, he writes about how he got to the top, who helped him along the way, and why he’s determined to stay there.

By Shawn Carter
Photographs by Sacha Waldman

I was 4 years old, but I remember that morning clearly.As my mom left for work, she told me to wait till she got home to practice riding my bike. My uncle had promised to put training wheels on the secondhand bike I’d received from my cousin, but he hadn’t gotten around to it. Me being the youngest of four kids, I was determined to be independent and not spoiled. (Although my family will tell you I am the latter.) I took the bike outside, and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. taught myself how to ride without training wheels. Because I was so small, my whole block in Brooklyn was watching in amazement. It was my first feeling of being famous. n Getting that same buzz as a rapper wasn’t all that different, really. Fast forward to the late '80s. At Gordy Groove's house, Big Daddy Kane, Jaz, and myself are about to put vocals on a tape (not a CD, a tape), a freestyle over a beat Gordy created. Jaz goes first, I go second, Kane goes last. I still remember Kane’s rhyme: “Setting it off / Letting it off / Beginning / Rough to the ending.…” I was inspired and went directly home to write a thousand new and improved rhymes. During the next few months, the tape circulated and the feedback was positive about “the second kid who rapped.” I was taught in my family to believe that anything worth having you had to work extremely hard for. But rap came easy for me. I wouldn’t say I took it for granted, but I didn’t realize I had a gift until I made that tape.

Over the next couple of years, Jaz and I went back and forth to each other’s mother’s apartments in Marcy writing raps. Contrary to the claims he’s made in recent interviews, when I met him, I already had a notebook full of problems, heat, raps, whatever y’all call it nowadays. Jaz shared his dream of getting a recording deal, and I was like, Great, homie, but I need paper now. I started getting serious about hustling, and Jaz stuck to his music. We had an agreement: He’d holla when something real popped off (a show, a session, a deal), and I’d drop what I was doing and be right there.

When Jaz got a deal with EMI (for $400,000, or some outrageous number for a rapper back then), he kept his word and took me with him to London, where the label set him up to record his album. When I left the block, everyone was saying I was crazy. I was doing well for myself on the streets, and cats around me were like, “These rappers are hos. They just record, tour, and get separated from their families, while some white person takes all their money.” I was determined to do it differently. Rap was my way out, the only talent I had, and my shot at making something of myself. And it was legal! I wasn’t signed directly to EMI, but the plan was for Jaz to blow, and I was to sign and be next. But things never go as planned. EMI convinced Jaz to work with Bryan “Chuck” New, a producer who was riding on the success of D.J. Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince’s multiplatinum album. They released Jaz’s “Hawaiian Sophie” as the first single, and when it bombed, they abandoned Jaz’s album altogether. I didn’t necessarily have a plan B, so it was back to hustling, the only thing I knew. I didn’t show it at the time, but I was crazy disappointed and discouraged about the music business.

The Gift

Even though I was back on the block, my heart was still in music. I was preoccupied with numbers, weight, and my business, but my mind was flooded with ideas about songs, hooks, and verses. When my thoughts began to crowd each other, I would go to the corner store, get a pen, and empty my head, pouring rhymes onto pieces of paper bags. But how many scraps can you fit in your pocket? I had to start memorizing my ideas until I got home, which was usually in the wee hours of the morning. Ironically, using memorization to hold on to my lines is the way I developed the writing style I use today. No pen, paper, or paper bags needed. Just point out the track and I’m all over it.

And yet, after witnessing firsthand what happened to Jaz, I became really committed to putting my hustle down. I kept moving further south—from Trenton, N.J., to Maryland, and finally to Virginia. I spent less and less time in New York, but when I did come home, I would go to parties and jump on the mike, freestyling here and there. From time to time, I would bump into a DJ named Clark Kent, who would stress me about returning to New York and taking this rap thing seriously. Clark had started an A&R gig with Atlantic, and he swore he could do this or that for me, and even though he was a cool dude, his words went in one ear and out the other. I didn’t want to set myself up to be disappointed again. Rap was the real gamble; hustling was the sure thing.

It was in Virginia that I met my second serious girlfriend, Stephanie (everybody called her Fannie). What people don’t know about me is that I’ve always been in long-term relationships. My first real relationship was with this girl from Long Island, and it lasted five years; I was with Fannie for another five. It was on a long drive from New York to Virginia that I really bonded with Fannie. She told me her dreams of going back to school and making something of herself, and I told her my dreams of being an MC. She was the first person I let know how discouraged I was by the music business. When I finally took Clark Kent’s advice to commit to making it in music, Fannie followed me to New York. And even though I put her up in a nice apartment in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, and took care of her material needs, my level of commitment to her couldn’t compete with what I was willing to give to make this rap thing work. I didn’t record it till years later, but “Song Cry” had been writing itself in my head ever since Fannie left me to go home to Virginia.

Change the Game

When I first met Damon Dash, around the same time, he was doing artist management. All I could think was, Damn, this Damon guy talks a lot. If he shuts up for two seconds he might give someone a chance to say he’s smart. He loves attention—reminds me of an old hustling buddy I used to have. Damon is from Harlem, and I’m from Brooklyn. And anyone from New York will tell you how different cats from Uptown and BK are (“Manhattan’s always makin’ it / Brooklyn keeps on takin’ it”). But I always had the get-mine mentality Harlem is famous for, and Damon was so hungry for this music paper that he could have been a stick-up kid from Brooklyn. What started out as mutual respect and a management agreement between us grew into a fifty-fifty partnership and a lifelong friendship. I’m godfather to his son, Boogie, and Uncle Jay to his beautiful daughter, Ava.

After shopping our demo to almost every label and them front-in’ on what we had, we founded Roc-A-Fella Records. Later, another friend, Kareem “Biggs” Burke, joined us as a partner. It was on! We put in so much work over the next couple of years that there was no way we could fail. My first album, Reasonable Doubt, was about what I knew best: hustling. I felt like other rappers had touched on the subject, but I wanted every hustler I ever knew to feel like I had been reading his diary. I wanted to write an album that was honest about the glamour and materialism, because living large was real for us. But I also wanted to talk about the depression, the drama, the sacrifices, and the pain that come with the street life. I made that album like it was my first and last. We pressed up our own records, shot our own videos, turned our own cars into tour buses, made our own jackets, you name it. I even had my cousin Bryant (who’d always told me I was wasting my talent hustling) make up gift baskets with champagne in them to give to DJs along with copies of my first 12-inch single, “In My Lifetime.”

When I finally released Doubt in 1996, hip hop was as hot as the streets. I had known Big since high school, and when we reconnected to do “Brooklyn’s Finest” for my album, we became real close. He was hilarious, with a big heart, and I never doubted he was keeping it real with me. I thought he was smart to stay quiet when Tupac started his war of words. And on the real, I could tell the whole situation made him depressed. We had worked hard to leave a certain kind of life behind, and from the beginning, that thing felt like more than a rap battle. I didn’t take it seriously when Tupac dragged me into it. I knew he was just trying to get at anybody who was associated with Big. But I never stopped bumping ’Pac. I had been a fan of his since Digital Underground, and when he was killed, I knew we had lost someone irreplaceable.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
I recorded my second album after Big was murdered. I can’t even describe what that loss was like for me. It was worse than losing someone in the drug game, because you know that’s the risk you take when you get into the streets—death or jail. This was supposed to be music. But I will say that I felt Big had elevated rhyming to heights not seen in hip hop, and that it would be selfish for me to retire. My staying in the game is like a promise I made to Big. He had done so much to represent New York that I didn’t want us to return to that time before Ready to Die, when it seemed like New York hip hop didn’t even matter anymore.

Friend or Foe

I made a few mistakes, though, on my second album, In My Lifetime, Vol. 1. I made records I thought radio would want to hear, which is a mistake a lot of artists are being rewarded for today. Now I know how to bring radio to me. But I’m still proud of that album. “Streets Is Watching” I’d put up against any rapper’s best song. We did a short straight-to-video ’hood movie, Streets Is Watching, to go with it, and that was the beginning of the Roc’s dream to make movies. To support my Vol. 1, I went on tour with Puff and Bad Boy. I swallowed my pride and opened for him, but by the middle of the tour I felt like I was taking too much of a loss. I went to Puff and told him I respected what he was doing, but I had to leave. Back in New York, I knocked out my third CD, Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life. I was in a zone when I did that album, completely focused, completely creative.

When we put together the Hard Knock Life Tour in 1998 with Ruff Ryders, I wanted to make history. First of all, we brought together artists like X, Red, Ja, Eve, Beans, Bleek, and the whole family. And then, after selling out 52 stadiums across America without one incident of violence, we knew we had reopened the possibility of stadium-sized, hard-core hip hop tours.

The following year, when I stayed home from the Grammys (and won), the decision not to go wasn’t even a question. Them telling the nominees in my rap category we were invited but weren’t going to be televised—what’s that? That’s like inviting me over for dinner and asking me to eat in the basement. The Dynasty: Roc La Familia was a way for me to open things up for my family, for people like Bleek, who is one of those MCs who will never lose his hunger or his heart; I’m proud of him. Beans is our diamond in the rough, truly one of the great ones. For me, The Blueprint takes up where Reasonable Doubt left off. In general, I’m a private person—years on the street taught me the importance of keeping secrets—but songs like “Song Cry” and “Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)” represent those times I really try to forget there’s a mike in the room and can just be really honest. I feel like I can create a summer anthem in my sleep, but songs like those are a real challenge for me.

No success story comes without its drama. Jaz, whom I offered a deal for $150,000 when the Roc was a pebble, didn’t see our vision and turned me down. Now he feels like I owe him something. This guy! I made the hook, found the sample, and wrote the lyrics to “Ain’t No Nigga,” then let Jaz arrange the song, gave him the production credit, and now he’s screaming he made my first hit. Haaaaaaa! Okay, homie, make your first hit now!

That was unkind, and I apologize. By no means am I perfect. I said some real mean things about Nas and his family on “Superugly,” and I felt I was a man about that by pulling the record publicly, although that wasn’t a “gangster” thing to do. And maybe I didn’t give Foxy all the attention she needed when she was going through a tough time. I’m going to make some more mistakes, too. I’m a human being who can put words together. That’s all. I’m not Superman. I can’t be all things to everyone at all times. Sure, Foxy and I made great music, but was she signed to the Roc? No. Why when things turn bad is all the blame on Hov? People even ask me why I distanced myself from R. Kelly when the allegations about him came out. I spoke to Rob and told him to speak to the people ’cause the media was killing him and everything was looking one-sided. Am I supposed to answer all the questions they had for him? How do you fight for someone who won’t fight for himself? I never said one bad thing about the dude, and I’ll never judge him. I’m not God, a judge, or a jury. That’s the last time I’m going to talk about it.

The Curse

Here’s something to think about. I enter a building in lower Manhattan last spring to look at a 10,000-square-foot apartment. I’m still in shock that I can even look at an apartment that’s selling for $7.5 million. I go by myself, no entourage, no security, no bullshit. The next day, it’s all over New York daily papers: Thug rapper is not wanted by the neighbors, he came with 30 armed black militants with guns—blah, blah, blah. Can you believe people still have a problem with successful black folks? Granted, I got in trouble once, but so have Winona Ryder and Martha Stewart. It’s funny, like ’Pac and Big, I didn’t have major legal problems until I got in the music business. What’s frustrating is how the media can affect my real (estate) life choices. No one on the board at that building had ever even met me.

There is something I’m proud of that never gets written about: My company provides a lot of job opportunities. I employ so many people at Roc-A-Fella Records, Rocawear, Roc-A-Films, and Armadale Vodka—young black women and men with little to no experience in the music business. I donated money to the Columbine effort, World Trade Center relief, Thanksgiving drives, the Jay-Z Santa Claus Toy Drive, Team Roc, and the Shawn Carter Scholarship Fund. I never give to get props. I give because I can, because it’s from my heart, and because I was raised right.

I’m now more focused than ever on my music. I love rap because you have to prove yourself every time out. It doesn’t matter that my sixth album is a classic when the average rapper’s career is 2.5 years or less. It’s all about what’s next, and that’s what drives me after all this time. I love that people are still passionate about me, whether it’s love or not. Here I am, a guy from Marcy projects making people react to the music I create in my head. Yesterday, that song didn’t exist. Today, people are saying it’s the worst thing they ever heard—haaaaa! I like it more when they say it’s the best thing they ever heard, but hey, at least they’re paying attention. Most of the time, I walk around feeling real blessed. If God had shown me this life beforehand, complete with all the drama, I’d say—without pause—I’ll take it.