Daw software

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm torn between all the major DAW softwares out there and am debating on which one to start off with. My main focus is beat making but might want to do some recording too. Every software out there pretty much boasts the same kind of stuff so what are your experiences with all the DAWs out there. I'm going PC so Logic and DP are out of the picture, I'm thinking Sonar, Cubase or an LE system, what are your thoughts?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Well I already have Cubase SE but i pretty much only use it for chopping samples, I'm almost set on The latest versian of SX because it has the cleanest looking interface in that price bracket but Sonar and Live have alot of cool looking features that keep me interested in getting those too. I like Protools too just because its real easy to run but I don't like how it handles virtual instruments.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
^what kinda computer do you have? I got an athlon 64 3700 with 1mb of cache n 2 gigs of memory, n im thinkn bout gettn sonar, you think it would run fine with rewire on myn? I dont really know how much resources it uses.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
my computer can handle it in low doses but am looking to get a better tower, I don't really think it matters what I get since I'll grab hold of whatever I do get and learn it eventually. A friend of mine had a demo of live 4 and we all wernt feeling it very much, I have Cubase SE and its fairly easy to run so I'm thinking SX3. I havn't really messed with Sonar but have heard good things, the interface looks kinda bland for how much its running for though and I heard its kinda clunky when you run VSTs on it cuz cakewalk uses direct X plug ins. I heard it comes loaded with sick plugins in Direct X though so I'm still considering rolling with it. I like how easy protools is to run but I don't like how plug ins are used and I hate how you are restricted to 32 tracks on an LE system, I like it more for recording as opposed to the main sequencer in a beat making setup which is my primary focus so you can pretty much say I'm split between Sonar 5 producer or Cubase SX3. I think I can get SX3 for 5 hundred cuz I have an earlier versian so i might be able to get the upgrade, I'm gonna have to inquire about that.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
BTW Pressplay those PCs look nice but mighty pricey for the specs I saw on them, you should check out pcaudiolabs.com, I preconfigured a beast of a PC for about 2500 with a DAW of my choice installed, I picked SX3 but they have all the top names at discounted prices if you get it installed. 3.4GHZ Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram an 80 and 160 GB hard drive, quiet running system with DVD/CDRW and floppy/smart media slot and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Check it out

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
HERESY said:
Thats too much.
You got a better spot that you can build one for less, without having to build it yourself?

A friend of mine put together a pretty solid PC for like a grand but they sent it to him in parts and he had to spend like another hundred or 2 to get someone to build it for him.

I build another one for like 2 grand with cubase so the tower itself was like 1500, but with tax and shipping and shit it would still be a grip. 2 grand is alot for a tower for my taste

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
lol nah its coo, if u livd round stockton id do it, im jus sayn i aint that tech headed but i got it done tho, ya know, words of encouragement, if a dumbass like me can do it anyone can. Those xpc ones are professionally built tho. They build alot of pcs probably n they know what works with what, so id say go with it if you can build one on ur own.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Carnage187 said:
I built mine my self came out really good. 600 bucks total. But with 2500 damn....think of wat u can do with that..
What kind of specs you got? I have the aptitude to build one but I worry I will miss some key element preventing from the thing from working. I think we need a new thread all about this subject!