Dad Arrested In San Mateo Blaze That Killed Kids

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 26, 2007
My cousin by marriage just got arrested for killing his two children three years ago. I know he didn't do it. He would have done anything to save his children including risking his own life. Hes a good man and father. Please support him, hes innocent. CBS article on the case:

Dad Arrested In San Mateo Blaze That Killed Kids

(CBS 5 / AP / BCN) REDWOOD CITY A father whose two young sons were found dead in the charred ruins of the family's San Gregorio home after it went up in flames in 2004 was arrested Monday and charged with murder and arson, authorities said.

Charles Edward Schuttloffel Sr., 36, allegedly set fire to the home while his wife and the toddlers' grandfather were at work, San Mateo County Sheriff's Lt. Lisa Williams said.

"Detectives never gave up on this case," Williams said, though she declined to release specific details of the evidence implicating Schuttloffel.

Schuttloffel called 911 on the afternoon of May 4, 2004, to report that his sons -- Charles Edward "Charlie" Schuttloffel Jr., 3, and William Leonard "Billy" Schuttloffel, 2 -- were trapped in the burning house in the 900 block of Seaside School Road.

Their bodies were recovered inside the home after the blaze, which took about five hours to burn out and completely destroyed the house.

Firefighters at the scene said they had to restrain Schuttloffel from rushing back into the burning home to rescue his sons. He suffered burns and smoke inhalation at the time.

Authorities took Schuttloffel, a fisherman and contractor, into custody at his Half Moon Bay home on Monday morning. He was being held at San Mateo County Jail in Redwood City without bail.

A criminal grand jury indicted Schuttloffel on two counts of murder and one count of arson last week after a lengthy
investigation.

Though the elder Schuttloffel became a suspect shortly after the fire, Williams said because much of the evidence in the case had been burned that the arson investigation was tedious.

"This was a terrible tragedy," Williams said, "a terrible incident for the community."

Schuttloffel is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in San Mateo County Superior Court in Redwood City.

According to San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe, if convicted, Schuttloffel could face up to life in prison, or the death penalty, should the district attorney's office choose to pursue this as a capital case.

Apr 25, 2002
somethin'.. a petition.. i dunno.. but if my folks was 'bout to be sentenced for someshit like this i'd tried to find out if anything can be done.. lots of people are innocent and doin' life right NOW... the fact that "He suffered burns and smoke inhalation at the time", while tryin to save his kids leads me to believe it was some type of accident.

Aug 11, 2004
Yeah we all know it was... I mean shit the guy just recently has been able to go back to fishing and going about life normally because of the fact that his kids died and he was going through so much shock and pain.... It's just rediculous in cases like these that the DA goes to extreme lengths has to find someone to blame and they choose the father of all things... We are all trying to find a way to help him out.... Its just so strange that it has taken them 2 1/2 years to arrest him.... I don't know what kind of proof they couldve found to lead to an arrest but whatever it was is bullshit.... They demolished the house and all that before Charlie himself could have a team go through to prove it was an accident and that he didnt commit arson and/or murder. It's all bullshit to me and this is why if I was to ever work for the govt Id be a firefighter and stay the hell away from law enforcement because theyre all rediculous....

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
ITS FREAKS said:
he did it.

youre gonna tell me some random person came over.... set fire to some random house JUST to kill some little toddlers?

its a very sad situation, but yo... he did the shit.

no child killer is getting my support
what the fuck are you talking about? you know 0 evidence, i hope you get life for something you didnt do you faggot.

Jan 26, 2007
ITS FREAKS said:
he did it.

youre gonna tell me some random person came over.... set fire to some random house JUST to kill some little toddlers?

its a very sad situation, but yo... he did the shit.

no child killer is getting my support
No I'm not saying that, neither is anyone else. I'm saying my cousin Charlie is a good man and would never hurt is children. I believe that it was from some appliance or heater or some kind of accident. Its very common for these things to start a fire. Also there was problem with there regulator for weeks, that morning his brother law was over to look at it and turn it off after he was done. He never did. I think that might of caused it. He would have given his own life for is children.

Thanks to everyone else for the support. I want to do something to help him. The petition is a good idea. Any ideas how we should get this started?

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
ITS FREAKS said:
you are a fucking idiot if you think a whole da office + a whole pd is going thru some extremely dumb ass steps to frame an innocent man.

obviously something is wrong with the scene.

my godchild passed a few months ago....... & the police didnt start making arrests & shit. (yet, i know - i still dont know if she had something to do with it)

anyway...... fires dont "JUST HAPPEN". 99.9999999% of the time that theres a home fire OR a myserious death of a child (or 2) - it was the parents, thats all im saying.
99% of the time? lol ok sure sure sure, then why did they look at the elder first? the cops dont know shit.

Jan 26, 2007
ITS FREAKS said:
you are a fucking idiot if you think a whole da office + a whole pd is going thru some extremely dumb ass steps to frame an innocent man.

obviously something is wrong with the scene.

my godchild passed a few months ago....... & the police didnt start making arrests & shit. (yet, i know - i still dont know if she had something to do with it)

anyway...... fires dont "JUST HAPPEN". 99.9999999% of the time that theres a home fire OR a myserious death of a child (or 2) - it was the parents, thats all im saying.
Please if you have mean things to say, keep it to yourself. This is a hard time for my family and I don't appreciate it. If you don't want to show support don't, please respect that.

Oh and about the 99.999999% thing. Most house fires are accidental and are caused from cooking.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Without coming off like a bitch, how can you say with 100% certainty that he didn't do it? You never know someone completely, and everyone has their demons.

Jan 26, 2007
I know where you coming from I would have probably said the same thing if it didn't happen to somebody in my family and to be honest I can't say that I know 100% because I wasn't there. I just know, because I know him. I guess you can't really relate until it happens to somebody you care about. Hes been there for me and I've known since I was born. I just know, it doesn't add up.

Dec 4, 2006
of course he didn't do it...he is your relative..

but if he really did kill them ...i hope he rotts in jail for the rest of his life with the thoughts of him killing his own children....

Jan 26, 2007
DFresh77 said:
of course he didn't do it...he is your relative..

but if he really did kill them ...i hope he rotts in jail for the rest of his life with the thoughts of him killing his own children....
Its not just because hes my relative. Its because the evidence doesn't add up. Why would he try to save them if he wanted to kill them?

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
No one can answer that question. maybe he was a good actor, tryin to throw the police off, maybe he felt remorse after the fact and realized what he did was wrong, maybe he has voices in his head telling him conflicting things.

I will pray that the truth comes to light.

Jan 26, 2007
I understand where everyone is coming. But I just don't get how you guys can not understand where I'm coming from, acting like I'm ignorant for believing hes innocent. I asked for support not to be judged.