@ D SANE question bout syko

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
im listenin to his Lyically Insane album, and shits good, but you can tell its low budget and got some sorry cats on it..

but in Sykotherapy sykos voice sounds distorted throughout the whole album, like you got an effect on the vocals..

was this done cuz his voice is weak, cuz in Lyrically Insane he didnt sound that hard..

sykotherapy is a banger for sho.. im just curious bout the reasoning behind distortin his vocals..

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Well......first of all I had nothing to do with Lyrikally Insane.....so I don't know about that one. But for Sykotherapy......what we did when we started working together was track layering. Basically Syko's vocals consisted of 3 seperate tracks at 3 different pitches or tones. The first track was the main or "lead" one that would be a little louder than the other 2.....then the second would usually be a more hyper track.....then the 3rd would be a calmer, more mellow track. Then I would mix them to give it that effect. Basically it was like harmonizing. I wouldn't say it was done because his voice was weak......it just gave him a unique sound. His vocals aren't distorted at all......I guess it just sounds like it?

I hope that makes sense?

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
I never thought it sounded distorted. And from my understanding of D-sane's set up ( I'm sure its changed by now ) it sounds very good for what he's working with.

I always thought there was some kind of delay used ( the shit'y part of actually recording and enginering is after awhile you try to break down everything you listen to, instead of just enjoying it sometimes ) but the 3 different pitch level's make sense. Most cats ( up and coming I should say ) dont have much concept of pitch, and I admit it's something new to me too, when I recorded First Degree for out album, he does the same thing. One low ( almost bass type ) one alto ( mid ), and one saprano ( High or is that backwards?? ummm ) He has total control of his voice and it had to be the easiest session I've ever recorded.

Recording vocals is like trying to drive from point A to point B. There is more than one way to get there, just go the route that you like the best.

View 1 AOD-ORG

Oct 10, 2002
skichdesigns.com
Mr. D-Sane said:
Well......first of all I had nothing to do with Lyrikally Insane.....so I don't know about that one. But for Sykotherapy......what we did when we started working together was track layering. Basically Syko's vocals consisted of 3 seperate tracks at 3 different pitches or tones. The first track was the main or "lead" one that would be a little louder than the other 2.....then the second would usually be a more hyper track.....then the 3rd would be a calmer, more mellow track. Then I would mix them to give it that effect. Basically it was like harmonizing. I wouldn't say it was done because his voice was weak......it just gave him a unique sound. His vocals aren't distorted at all......I guess it just sounds like it?

I hope that makes sense?
I was listening to a song from Sykos album called "Written Testament" and seem like you use this formula is that song...