comps n shit

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 19, 2005
aight yall,i got a laptop,with a mic input and a headphone output.so i got my speakers hooked to my output,works great,and i tried puttin my dj equipment into the mic input.didnt work,tried everything,fuck it ,im over it.so iv realized that i prob need some kind of hardware to hook my dj shit,and later on my keyboard and guitar.so what are these things called,would i need a small computer based mixer?i thought it would be something like this maybee
http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/85/214/2258.html?view=closeup
but the more i look at it, it doesnt look like this is the piece,its got 4 outputs and 2 inputs,and i need more inputs then outputs.
i may sound like an idiot but i need to figure this shit out.
thanks in advance guys

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
What I am assuming you need is an audio interface. What you listed is an audio interface. If it were me I would probably get something like this:

http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/81/31/1911.html?view=closeup

The unit you posted doesn't even have a 48v input nor does it have quarter inputs. Basically you'll be limited to rca and spdif and thats not good. No, you will not need a small mixer, you will need an interface iwth the appropriate numbers of ins and outs.

Can any of the dj's here pipe in and give a suggestion?

Dec 9, 2005
For recording from your tables/mixer into your computer, just run the OUTS ( RCA ) from your DJ mixer into your soundcard ( Not so sure how you can do that on a laptop ) Then run your computer speakers from the OUTS on your soundcard and you should at least be able to hear what you're doing.

To record, you can use Soundforge, Cool Edit, Audacity, etc.

Hope that helps a little.

Jul 12, 2002
If all you got is a mic input on your sound card it won't work or it at least won't work correctly. This is because your dj mixer is using a line level output and putting that into a mic level input won't work because they are 2 different types. I'm not exactly sure if that is how a dinky computer mic jack works but that is how regular equipment works.

If you can find a line input on your computer you won't need anything else. It won't be the greatest because it's just your stock laptop sound card but it will work. It will look just like the mic input you got.

As for Serato, that thing is the best thing to happen to dj'ing since the 1200. So convienent! I use it at my gigs and you don't have to take any records besides the time-coded ones with you. When you said Serato 2 was coming out do you mean 2.0 of the software or are they straight up having a new hardware release?

You are still going to need to have some sort of sound card with line input if you are trying to record with serato though. It's kind of deceiving but it all runs through that piece of hardware but the final sound product comes out of the master out on your turntable just like it normally would so you then need to plug that master out back into your computer. How many inputs do you need? Do you want to have a mic input as well? If you answer those questions we can help you find a piece of equipment easier.

May 19, 2005
well first about serato 2.i jus herd a couple month back people saying that the first serato was dope,but if people were looking into buying one currently they should wait becuase a complete new setup was comming out,but its not for sure,thats why im thinking maybe the new version is jus 2.0. i dunno i gotta send some emails around and ask,cause i dont know how much longer i can wait,i wanna be able to mix my mp3's

now with my computer,all i can find is one audio input and one audio output.the wierd thing is when i do a hardware test on my mic input with my turntables playing i can hear them fine.then when i click ok it goes back to no sound,its really wierd,like with soundforge,when i record i cant hear anything but i see that its gettin a signal,ill record for 30 seconds stop and play it,and lo and be hold i hear sound.so its wierd it is picking up sound but its not playing it freely.

i think i found what i need
http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/89/225/2242.html

but then im thinking the mixer that comes with serato should be enough,but see thats the thing,I.DONT.KNOW