CIARA A HEARA?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 9, 2004
www.myspace.com
"Ciara reveals her Goodies

By Nolan Strong, allhiphop.com

"I am gay." These were the words recording artist Ciara spoke Wednesday
night to millions viewers on BET's 106 and Park in a precedent-setting
event for cable television.

Ciara's "coming out" as a lesbian would have been difficult on its own.
But also having to admit that she is really a he on national television
was cause for celebration among the gay and lesbian community. No major
pop singer has ever come out as a transvestite to viewers explicitly after
already releasing an album.

The event brings to the spotlight questions about just how far gays and
lesbians have been accepted into mainstream society, specifically hip hop
culture. People are divided as to what this event means for gay and
lesbian individuals as well as for the community at large.
However, as in any controver! sial! issue, there are differing opinions.
"Tonight it's homosexuality, next its tranvestites, tomorrow it's
something else," said Sean "P-Diddy" Combs, President and CEO of Bad Boy
Worldwide Entertainment, in an interview with allhiphop.com.

The goal for many gays and lesbians is creating awareness about the
reality of their identity and lifestyle.

"As a community, we have to fight against those who attack us," said
former pop star Rupaul, who herself performs in "drag" but concealed her
real gender from the public. "Personally, I have a tendency to react with
anger. At the same time I realize these people have been fed lies about
gay and lesbian people.
"Part of our job is to offer information to those who have been lied to.
The 'Ellen' episode already offered a slice of true information about
lesbian and gay people to a large audience," she added. "But Ciara's
entire appeal was based of this teenie bop heterosexua! l ima! gery and less
of her sheer talent? Will she maintain her celebrity status? Maybe she
will. Will she have as many listeners as before now that she has come
out? I doubt it.
UCLA English Professor Arthur Little, who teaches gay and lesbian
literature, said he approved of the humorous portrayal of the subject
matter on "Ellen." However, he stressed the serious aspects that surround
this particular controversy.
"It allows the American public to see the humor and that gay people laugh
too. We have gay teenagers killing themselves at three times the rate of
their heterosexual counterparts. This is a serious issue," he said.
Despite the raging controversy surrounding this issue, Little said that
"gay people are as much a part of our public culture as straight people."
Ciara was building a strong case for herself as a mainstay in the music
industry. Her debut album "Goodies" was certified platinum by the RIAA,
and she has been ! na! med the recipient of the 2005 Sammy Davis Jr.
Entertainer of the Year Award at this year's Soul Train Awards.

The self-proclaimed 'Crunk n B' artist will release her third single "Oh",
(featuring Ludacris) next week and a video for the song will also be
released at the end of the month.

In addition to being named Entertainer of the Year, Ciara has been
nominated for four Soul Train Music Awards."

WHAT THE FUCK?

Dec 25, 2003
No fuckin way! Ive been hearin a lot of shit about her since the "biggest" rumor was that she was a "HERMAPHADITE!" yall know she was born wit a "gun" & a "holster".
...and that she confirmed it on a very recent Oprah episode... Damn! She fo reel????

Jun 9, 2004

Ciara's Goodies

Claim: R&B singer Ciara was once a man.

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2005]

I have been hearing from many people that the hip-hop artist Ciara used to be a man and had to have a sex change. Even more, I heard that she stated it on nation televison!

There has been rumor around the internet that hip-hop artist, Ciara, was once a hermaphrodite until the age of 11, when she had sugery to remove her male "appendages."

I have heard a rumor that the R&B star, Ciara, was born male. That he/she decided that he wanted to be a female at the age of 5, and his mother let him grow his hair out. I was told that he had surgury, so he no longer has a penis. and apparently he/she was on Oprah having an in depth converstation about it, along with discussing it in a magazine article.

Origins: Ciara Ciara Harris, an 18-year-old who performs under the sole name of Ciara, has been dubbed the First Lady of "Crunk & B," a genre of music described as a grinding, dancefloor-friendly alternative to R&B. Her 2004 album, "Goodies," topped the charts, and she has been nominated at the 19th annual Soul Train Music Awards in four categories, including best R&B/soul single, female ("Goodies") and best R&B/soul or rap new artist.

She is beautiful and talented. And someone has tied a nasty rumor to her.

We first heard this scuttlebutt about her being born a male in January 2005; it has since fallen on our ears in a number of forms:

* The singer came into the world as a male, but somewhere along the way either she or her parents decided she should become a girl, with surgery performed on her to bring this transformation about.

* She was born male, but a botched circumcision did irreparable harm to her manly parts, so her parents opted to have what was left of her made into a girl.

* She started life as an intersexual, a person of mixed genders. Once again, a surgical solution was sought on her behalf, but in this version of the whisper, it was to correct her body to being wholly one gender rather than a mixture of the two.

(NOTE: 'Intersexual' is the preferred medical term for persons of ambiguous gender, replacing 'hermaphrodite.' Follow the link provided in the "Additional Information" section of this page for more information on intersexuality.)

* She voiced this startling disclosure on national television, with The Oprah Winfrey Show often named as the venue in which she made this revelation.

Ciara's father serves in the U.S. military, so her family moved from Army post to Army post during her childhood, living in Germany, New York, California, Arizona, and Nevada, before finally settling in Atlanta. Ergo, claims that her parents just opted to have a girl child crafted from the male child the stork delivered should be viewed with skepticism, in light of the cost of such procedures and the relatively low pay accorded those in the armed forces.

The assertion that Ciara was on The Oprah Winfrey Show is false; we can find no record of her having been a guest on that show. Many urban legends which feature a shocking revelation being made on a TV show name Oprah's as the one where it was voiced (e.g., designer Liz Claiborne confides she doesn't design for African-American women because "their hips are too big," designer Tommy Hilfiger states "If I knew that blacks and Asians were going to wear my clothes, I would have never designed them," the CEO of Procter & Gamble admits his company tithes ten per cent of its revenues to the Church of Satan). We haven't figured out why this is, other than Oprah Winfrey seeming like the kind of person one could tell anything to.

The singer herself has denied the rumor. The New York Daily News quoted Ciara on this subject:
R&B sensation Ciara just wants everyone to know: She's all woman. "You know what's funny? The rumor that I used to be a man," she told us at the launch party for Vibe Vixen magazine at Frederick's.

"They said Oprah said that on her show," she laughed. "I've never been on Oprah in my life — we all know I have years before I go on Oprah, so come on!"
Degrees of intersexuality vary in intensity from presence of an additional Y chromosome to being born with a mixed set of genitals. Treatment of cases of blatant intersexuality is generally (but not always) surgical in nature, with reconstruction performed on the infant patient to add or remove body parts so as to end up with a child completely male or female in physical appearance. Hormones are also given towards this end, but there is a limit to what can be corrected medically. Though an appearance of sexual normalcy can be constructed, fully functional reproductive organs cannot.

According to Dr. Anne Fausto-Sterling, a recognized expert in this field of study, 1-1/2 to 2 percent of all births do not fall strictly within the tight definition of all-male or all-female, even if the child looks "normal." In reaching her numbers, Dr. Fausto-Sterling is counting all incidents of intersexuality, from mild to extreme. The incidence of children with mixed genitalia is pegged at 1 in 2,000 to 1 in 3,000, or 0.033 to 0.05 percent of all births.

A similar rumor long ago attached to actress Jamie Lee Curtis.