cheap beat makin programs

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
BOOBOO619 said:
Like I said it's all a matter of personal preference and the type of environment you like to work in.

There's absolutely NO difference in loading a drumloop or singleshot drum sample in Fruity Loops, Reason, Cubase, Pro-Tools, Nuendo, Logic,... or in Hardware. Reason being is because that drumloop or singleshot drum sample you used is EXACTLY the same in whatever program or hardware you use it in!!!! So tell me, WTF is the difference? The same thing can be said about recording a MIDI part while using VSTi Synthesizer instruments. No matter what, it's going to come out the same in whatever VST host program you decide to record it in. That's the point I'm trying to make. Only thing I can see that's probably more better in the more expensive programs is their ability to record & track vocals. But as far as making just the beat itself, I don't see why you can't come out with the same exact results whether you made the beat in FL, Cubase, Pro-Tools,etc... If you use the same exact sounds, it sould come out the same in whatever program you decide to use.

Only difference I see between beatmakers is their ability to MASTER.

And as far as that LaffyTaffy $hit, that's bull$hit dog, not everyone makes silly $hit like that with Fruity Loops. And as far as Reason being more flexible than FL, I don't know about that one. Reason doesn't even support plugins.
you said there is absolutely no difference when you load up a sound in Fruity Loops, Reason, Cubase, Pro-Tools, Nuendo, Logic,... or in hardware.WRONG..... get a c.d..any c.d..find a portion you want to sample....sample and load it up in your fruity loops. Now do the same with an s950,a sp1200,mpc3000..and tell me this...It sounds like you have been brainwashed....example 2 get your favorite bass sound in fruity loops,and record a 4bar bassline....Now with a hardware sequencer/or cubase,logic sequencer...hooked up to a moog voyager...record a 4bar bassline from that....you telling me its gonna be exactly the same?Now I know you said that same vst diff sequencer...but...the statements were originally when talkin about how some are saying you can make the same quality beat with fruity loops as opposed to hardware.....hell you can make a beat with any recording device and tools around the garage etc..Ive seen it done,Its about creativity.....One thing about when making comparisons..how it looks on paper isnt always the best way to gauge its quality..example samplers today with an hour of sample time,as opposed to a sp12 with 2 seconds of sampling...the choice seams easy but its not always the case...and in your arguements its alot of theory with no experience of applications..When I was first looking to make beats in the 90s I was gonna go computer...they didnt have reason,fruity loops.....Theory told me that hardware was a dedicated computer to do certain functions....software would do the same....IM not saying I know everything,Im not even saying I know alot....Im not stuck on hardware software issue...but I have some experience in both...Ive fucked with all kinds of equipment from the oberheim dmx drum machines,linn9000,studio440,mpc,asr10,sp12.etc etc etc almost any keyboard that most could name Ive played with....and Im still a mediocre beatmaker....I just do it for fun and a hobby,I like to just sit down and have my ideas come to life in minutes,on a computer..by the time everything turns on,and loads up I might lose that inspiration....

Apr 27, 2005
50cal said:
you said there is absolutely no difference when you load up a sound in Fruity Loops, Reason, Cubase, Pro-Tools, Nuendo, Logic,... or in hardware.WRONG..... get a c.d..any c.d..find a portion you want to sample....sample and load it up in your fruity loops. Now do the same with an s950,a sp1200,mpc3000..and tell me this...It sounds like you have been brainwashed....example 2 get your favorite bass sound in fruity loops,and record a 4bar bassline....Now with a hardware sequencer/or cubase,logic sequencer...hooked up to a moog voyager...record a 4bar bassline from that....you telling me its gonna be exactly the same?

Wrong. Unless the sample has been compressed it will be at 1411 kbps. It WILL sound exactly the same unless effects have been applied or it is run through a different equalizer setting

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Home-E said:
Wrong. Unless the sample has been compressed it will be at 1411 kbps. It WILL sound exactly the same unless effects have been applied or it is run through a different equalizer setting
WRONG. The reason it WON'T give you the same sound is because of the different converters and filters found within the hardware units. A sound that is running through an sp1200 will NOT sound the same as a sound running through an mpc60 and a sound running through an mpc 60 will NOT sound the same as something coming out of a motif es. All of these units have a certain way they process the sample so if you were to take a cd, cut a piece and sample it using the three different units above you WOULD get three different versions of the same sample. The one closest to the original would probably come from the ES, but the one with the most "grit" would come from the sp1200 and its 12 bit format.

Also, IF I am understanding 50cal correctly he is saying to record a loop in fruity loops and then record (not import) that same loop into another sequencer. Again, they WOULD sound different because of the way each audio program calculates the numbers, and you will hear a noticiable difference (if your ears are trained) when you start to mix and hear everything through the summing buss. Why do you think the which sounds better PRO TOOLS or LOGIC or CUBASE SX/NUENDO debates happen? It's because programs DON'T sound the same, they have DIFFERENT panning laws, and they have DIFFERENT summing engines and perform different math calculations.

and to answer your question, yes producers use drum loops.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
heresy thats what I meant....I guess unless some do some extensive research or practical applications ,it would be easy to,think everything is just x's and o's being its all digital,but I think this is a good topic,I think there needs to be,or should I say I would be interested in reading more educational threads on here.Its hard to get useful info from unreliable sources...including me..i talk out my ass sometimes....but I at least try and give a reason with substance...and contribute the little bit I do know..

Apr 27, 2005
HERESY said:
The one closest to the original would probably come from the ES, but the one with the most "grit" would come from the sp1200 and its 12 bit format.
I made my comment assuming the formats would be like that of the original source, 16 bit. Obviously i dont know shit about different types of hardware, cause i use software and thats what I know, but of course if the format is of lower quality, it will sound worse, thats like playing music from an ipod through a cassette tape converter. I just didnt know, and i probably should have made a comment then, lol. thanks for the heads up heresy

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I made my comment assuming the formats would be like that of the original source, 16 bit. Obviously i dont know shit about different types of hardware, cause i use software and thats what I know, but of course if the format is of lower quality, it will sound worse, thats like playing music from an ipod through a cassette tape converter. I just didnt know, and i probably should have made a comment then, lol. thanks for the heads up heresy
I hear you, but although the sp1200 has lower specs on paper and is a lower format (being 12 bit), it does NOT sound "worse." It has its own "sound" and thats what makes it one of the most sought after pieces of gear used in hip hop/rap production.

@50cal on the surface a lot of things appear to be 01010101, but under the hood it is an entirely different story.

Apr 26, 2006
50cal said:
example 2 get your favorite bass sound in fruity loops,and record a 4bar bassline....Now with a hardware sequencer/or cubase,logic sequencer...hooked up to a moog voyager...record a 4bar bassline from that....you telling me its gonna be exactly the same?

Dog, that's all personal preference once again. "My favorite bassline sound" could be a completely different sounding one than the one from your Moog Voyager. It's too hard to compare the 2 because their 2 different types of sounds.

HOWEVER, if you would have said, "Try to Synthesize that same Moog Voyager bass sound with a Fruity Loop "built-in" synthesizer like the "3OSC," "TS404," "Sytrus,"etc.." The only thing I can say is that your Moog Voyager sound would indeed be the better sounding one because there's no way in hell I can emulate a moog voyager sound with Fruityloop's built-in synths. A moog voyager is just too far superior than anything built into Fruity Loops. Then again a moog voyager is superior to many synths out there.

Anyways, you keep talking like if I like to use Fruity Loop's built-in samples and synths. I NEVER use it's built-in $hit, maybe once in a while I might use a built-in Synthesizer or effect plugin, but that's it. I will never use it's built-in samples though, they suck. I only use it as a sequencer and use my own 3rd party sounds & VST/DX plugins. I think that's the only way it should be used and avoid it's built-in samples at all costs, their dangerously G@Y.

Apr 26, 2006
HERESY said:
WRONG. The reason it WON'T give you the same sound is because of the different converters and filters found within the hardware units. A sound that is running through an sp1200 will NOT sound the same as a sound running through an mpc60 and a sound running through an mpc 60 will NOT sound the same as something coming out of a motif es. All of these units have a certain way they process the sample so if you were to take a cd, cut a piece and sample it using the three different units above you WOULD get three different versions of the same sample. The one closest to the original would probably come from the ES, but the one with the most "grit" would come from the sp1200 and its 12 bit format.

Also, IF I am understanding 50cal correctly he is saying to record a loop in fruity loops and then record (not import) that same loop into another sequencer. Again, they WOULD sound different because of the way each audio program calculates the numbers, and you will hear a noticiable difference (if your ears are trained) when you start to mix and hear everything through the summing buss. Why do you think the which sounds better PRO TOOLS or LOGIC or CUBASE SX/NUENDO debates happen? It's because programs DON'T sound the same, they have DIFFERENT panning laws, and they have DIFFERENT summing engines and perform different math calculations.

and to answer your question, yes producers use drum loops.

Yeah, your probably RIGHT. I'm sure each Hardware unit and Software unit has their own algorithmic way of processing sound.

However, whichever one does it the "best" is probably up for dabate and all based on personal preference.

Anyways, in the end, I think MASTERING is what counts most. And whoever does it the best is going to end up with the better results.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
FL is good and cheap, i dont no what other good ones are cheap...The only think i hate bout fl is the box sequencing in the playlist window, i hated that shit, now with reason, i can do all the variations int he same lil channel, that way i dont have to name each pattern to memorize which ones are which. That was my biggest complaint and creativity inhibitor in FL. Rebirth is now completely free also.