Car audio question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 7, 2004
Ok here is the setup I have and after I have my system up for about 25-30 mins the subs start to cut out I have put down my back seat where the amp is and I noticed the amp gets hot as hell like frying pan hot is that normal? and what would cause the subs to cut out? any help at all would be great thanks

amp
http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-XpYLakKhWEm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=158XM2002

Deck
http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-XpYLakKhWEm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=266150&I=158GT410U

Subs
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XNBP12D-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1175531063&sr=8-2

Wire kit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat30100050007&id=1134701342188

Mar 7, 2006
my guess is your amp comes woth a overheat safety feature, meaning when the amp gets to hot it'll automatically shut off so u don't burn it out. does the amp have enough air to breath and cool it self? where exactly I the amp placed/attached to?

Jan 7, 2004
its located and attached behind my backseat I have left the seat lan forward before so the amp has more air I had the windows down on the freeway on a night where it was about 60 degrees and it still got hot though what would make an amp get hot could the amp be just fucked up

Mar 7, 2006
more than likely its the fact that the subs can handle 1100 watts and u got a 250 watt amp pushin em, that's not enough juice so the amp can't take it, its to much so it starts overheatin, u slunpin hard when it happens? volume up high? another thing is u probably have the amp screwed on to the back of the seat so that's probaly carpet which is not good, it retains the heat and doesn't let the amp breath, try getiing a 3/4 inch piece of board cut a huge hole in the center, so u just leave like a thin boarder, screw that to the back seat and screw the amp to that. gives it room to breath with that hole.

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^^^What he said. If your trying to slump it hard cause its all you can afford right now and your amp cant hang. I been there before. Looks like both subs combined are 600W RMS. So I guess 300W a peace RMS and your pushing maybe 200 RMS a peace to them if not less since most amps are overrated. Your underpowering the subs and the subs are hungry and trying to pull more power off the amp than is there. I assume your running in a 4ohm load to the amp. Also I have never used a 2 channel amp for subs. D CLASS MONO BLOCK is what you should use even if its small. MOSFET amps run really smooth and dont heat up. Another thing to consider is something my friend did. He cut a whole in the frame of the amp and installed two small fans and hooked it up to the wiring in the car so it turned on when you started the car and turn off when the car is off. One fan blew air in and the other blew air out. Worked really good. You always want to give your subs more power than it needs. If you have 600W RMS total I would get a 800W RMS amp and tune the gains accordingly. The amp doesnt have to work as hard if the subs are not taking all of what it can do thus the amp will not get as hot.

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
one other thing. Normally when people have systems small like this and want more bass they tend to use the BASS BOAST on the deck. DO NOT DO THIS! It will mess up the subs or worse blow them. If you have this on it also puts strain on the amp and definitly will be the cause of the heat problem.

Mar 7, 2006
^I concur with my fellow audio system expert.

word on that 2channel amp tho, u should def run a mono to them. get another amp and u can run the 2channel to ur mids and highs.

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
^^^Good idea, use the two channel to mids and highs. I see alot of people make the mistake your doing. Running a two channel amp to the subs or even worse a 4channel. I guess a 4channel is better but still not what you should do. You should have a monoblock amp to the subs and a 2 or 4 channel to the highs.

Jan 7, 2004
yeah it usually happens when I turn it up for a while and yeah I do have the amp screwed into the backseat. So alright that all sounds good thanks I'll probably end up getting another amp thanks for all your suggestions.

Jun 5, 2004
looks like u got a decent wiring kit, so you shouldnt have trouble running a more powerfull amp. pretty sure that's the problem, the amp aint got enough juice to run two subs. i bet if u even slapped one of the subs in another box and just ran the amp to the 1 sub it would slump louder.

May 2, 2002
lol...the wiring kit is the best part!

What up xraided...pass on the knowledge to these youngsters.

Got your IM's about your new shit...good to see you've upgraded. Been busy with my new job and shiiit...but I'll see what's up with you.