Californication

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002

http://www.highlydope.com/2009/10/god-hates-us-all-hank-moody/

If you've ever seen the Showtime series Californication starring David Duchovny as Hank Moody, you may have heard references to a book titled, God Hates Us All which was written by Hank. Well, it seems that fiction has been made into reality with the recent release of God Hates Us All in the form of an actual paperback, with an actual story, that appears as if the character of Hank Moody had actually written it. In fact, the book's author is even listed as Hank Moody.

Now, we have no idea who the actual writer is in real life but the book reads just like you'd expect a Hank Moody novel to read. Yes, this is clearly a gimmick to promote the show, but here's the real shocker: this is a really good book. Similar in writing style to a blend of authors like; Charles Bukowski, Chuck Klosterman, Chuck Palahniuk, and maybe a little Arthur Nersesian, the book is not the "literary masterpiece" that it's made out to be on the cover, but it certainly is entertaining and isn't that what any good book aims to accomplish?

Plot Synopsis: God Hates Us All is a coming-of-age tale for the apathetic generation. Hank Moody's self-loathing yet darkly likeable narrator is a college drop-out-turned-accidental-drug-dealer enveloped in a world of contradictions. His boss -- a bong-hitting, dreadlocked Pontiff figure -- runs a remarkably organized and ingenious illegal trade patronized by, among others, a sweater-set-wearing Upper East Sider, a Wall Street hotshot, and a wannabe rock star with a hard-to-resist model girlfriend. The lonely narrator yearns for more than the tenuous but intimate thread he shares with his clients. To escape his mother's desperate expectations, his father's endless disappointments, and his certifiably insane ex-girlfriend, he moves to the city's mecca of ambitious slackers -- the Chelsea Hotel -- where the pursuit of lust (and the rock star's girlfriend) sends him on a series of well-intentioned misadventures that lead him right back where he started. Told in a unique and subtle voice, God Hates Us All is ironic, optimistic, and unforgettable.

208 pages. Paperback. $15. Buy it here:

http://www.amazon.com/God-Hates-All...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255711329&sr=1-1

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
just finished the 1st season and the 1st disc of the second season...AWESOME show, IMO it blows Entourage out of the water. A few things got unrealistic (Hank hitting the cop, then the cop doing a super ninja move with the nightstick to his nuts, and also when Hank "accidentally" goes down on that chick) and have taken the show down a notch for me, but the 1st season is so good i can overlook it. Charlie Runkel, (his agent) is hilarious, Hank is awesome as fuck, and everyone else is pretty good too. Im addicted.

Mar 18, 2003
I just watched this show for the first time last night. To be honest, beforehand, I wasn't the least bit interested, but my room mate has been hassling me for days so I finally gave in and watched a couple of episodes, and... I thought the show was dope. I'm getting the entire first season right now so I can start from the beginning.