California Going Broke?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 4, 2007
Official says Calif. could be broke in 2 months

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California's chief financial officer warned Monday that the state would run out of money in about two months as hopes of a Christmas budget compromise melted into political finger-pointing by the end of the day.

Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger began the day on a cheerful note, suggesting that negotiations with Democratic leaders could lead to a budget deal as early as this week to help close the $42 billion shortfall that is projected through June 2010.

"Yesterday we sat there for hours and we worked through it step by step and we made some great progress," the governor said during a morning news conference in Los Angeles. "So we feel like if we do that two more times like that, I think we can get there ... before Christmas Eve or Christmas Day."

The thaw didn't last long, as legislative leaders later in the day criticized Schwarzenegger and indicated their work was done until the start of the new year.

The governor faulted lawmakers for "failing to take real action" in addressing the state's budget deficit but said he will continue working with them on a solution that includes spending cuts, new revenue and an economic stimulus plan.

Assembly Speaker Karen Bass responded by suggesting the governor should sign an $18 billion package Democrats sent to him last week containing both cuts and tax increases.

"The single biggest roadblock to having construction on the 405 (freeway) move forward is Arnold Schwarzenegger," said Bass, a Los Angeles Democrat.

Republicans, meanwhile, said they would not negotiate on a deal they believe to be illegal. The Democratic plan was pushed through on a simple majority vote, not the usual two-thirds vote for tax increases, which would require some GOP support.

"We cannot be a part of negotiating an illegal tax increase package that is a blatant attempt to silence California voters," Assembly Minority Leader Mike Villines, R-Clovis, said in a statement.

By the afternoon, Schwarzenegger spokesman Matt David said neither side had been willing to transcend party politics and special interests to make concessions.

"The Democrats want to block cuts to state government spending, and the Republicans want to block revenue increases because they have signed pledges to protect special interests," David said in a statement. "Legislators were sent to Sacramento to fix problems, but now what they're doing is making the situation worse."

If lawmakers fail to pass an updated budget plan, state Controller John Chiang said, his office will be forced to defer billions of dollars in payments or issue IOUs to state contractors. The instability of the banking industry has made borrowing money to bridge the gap an uncertain possibility, he said.

"The state's dire cash position not only jeopardizes and places at risk our ability to meet our financial obligations in a timely manner, it threatens our ability to respond to natural disasters and protect our communities from crime," Chiang wrote.

Also Monday, state employee unions filed labor complaints to stop Schwarzenegger's plans to furlough workers as a way to deal with the state's ballooning budget deficit.

Last week, he ordered all state employees to take two days off a month without pay or a similar salary cut to save $1.3 billion in the coming fiscal year. He also ordered state agencies to cut their payrolls by 10 percent.

The Schwarzenegger administration referred calls to the state Department of Personnel Administration.

"We have attempted to bargain under circumstances where there are no resources for pay increases, and that has made bargaining extremely difficult," department spokeswoman Lynelle Jolley said.

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081223/ap_on_re_us/california_budget

What Yall think Bout this shit?

Dec 28, 2004
nobody knows homie, but I'm good for now. I guess this is just the first round of layoffs. Unions having some shit on civic center & ross today.....ain't you close by?

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
nobody knows homie, but I'm good for now. I guess this is just the first round of layoffs. Unions having some shit on civic center & ross today.....ain't you close by?
IM OFF GRAND...ORANGE COUNTY IS DIRTY. WHILE THE CEOS IS GETTING THEIR OFFICES REMODELED FOR HALF A MIL, THEIR LAYING OFF EMPLOYEES.
THATS FUCKED UP.

Apr 7, 2005
www.myspace.com
the gov is a cold piece mane

this fool approves a $3 an hour increase in per diem for legislators. can you tell me why we are givin lunch money to cats that make 250k a year?

the capitol just got a new fleet of cars for staff.

countless perks and reimbursements, not to mention all the meetings where several attendees are flown in/givin rental cars, top notch accomidations, per diem, and reimbursements for out of pocket expenses.

arent we in the fuckin 21st century?? isnt video conferencing a much cheaper soulution to payin all that damn scrill for every damn meeting / conference?

no, that would be an inconvence to their travel plans....awww;(

their solution?

layoffs and unpaid furloughs in the midst of a recession for employees arent the ones goin dumb with state funded credit cards and expence accounts.

that is going to cost my family 800 bucks a month.

one fuckin hell of a sacrifice my family and the rest of those effected to have to make so these bums can keep on spending.

im going to spend my furlough days walkin in front ofthe capitol screamin' fuck the governor!!

the legislators wouldnt support this action because they know that anyone that votes for it would be out of a job come next election time.

the gov makes a executive decision approving the action becaue he's not eligible for re-election.....no consequences for him politically. this budget shit been going on for years and we are always the ones that have to come out of pocket

shit is rediculous

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Fuck the Governor, and everyone who voted for him because of the novelty of having a famous actor run our state.

I mean, seriously, why did we impeach Gray Davis again?

Apr 26, 2006
Hopefully this is a reality check for all you fucks out there trying to be flashy and spending money you don't have. I feel sorry for families n shit that are struggling and really trying to get by, but I ain't got no sympathy for fucks out there with Chrysler 300C on 24's who are struggling to pay their shit because they wanted to keep up with fads and the rest of American pop culture. Die a slow death, it's your fault for getting yourself into debt just to look cool.

Anyways, fuck the Governer.

Obama will saves us. lol