C-bo interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
yeah i peeped that this morning..good shit...thought i post it ..fucc it

Allhiphop: If someone was to ask you, "what does it take to run an independent label?" what would be the best answer you could possibly give him or her?

C-Bo: For one, it takes patience. You got to have patience, man. You got to know what you want, and you got to know the game. You got to pull the right strings in the game, too. Move them units and get them soundscans, you know what I'm saying? It needs time and networking. If you ain't got the right strings, it ain't going to work, you know?

Allhiphop: As far as your accounting is concerned, are you the only one with access to the accounts or do you have someone paying the bills for you?

C-Bo: We got a corporation, and it's just me and my n*gga. I got my manager that handles my other side sh*t, you know what I'm saying? But, I'm the owner of the company and he's my vice president.

Allhiphop: The reason I asked that is because you have people like Toni Braxton and Billy Joel that look up one day, and millions of dollars have come up missing due to letting people mismanage their funds.

C-Bo: You know what, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I'm a street dude, you dig?

Allhiphop: Nuff said, man! What's more important to you, the performance side of the business or the business side of the business?

C-Bo: You got to have both, but without the performance, you have no business. Somebody got to like it, you know what I'm saying? Performance has a lot to do with it, man. n*ggas want to hear that sh*t, you know?

Allhiphop: Can you distinguish the differences between cats from Northern and Southern California?

C-Bo: There's more mellow minded n*ggas up north, you feel me? All the chaos of all the close neighborhoods and sh*t that goes on down south, it's more spread out up north. It's harder to come down south and network than it is up here. n*ggas don't give a f*ck about that sh*t. Some n*ggas ain't got nothing to live for because they ain't got nothing going good for themselves. All I had was a hood and that was it. Nothing would come through here moving without being in the hood, you know what I'm saying? They don't want to get on TV; they ain't give a f*ck about the camera or nothing. When I first came to L.A., I went to Crenshaw and passed out free CDs. This was back in '92. They threw them back at me like, "n*gga, f*ck that sh*t, we don't give a f*ck about that sh*t." A n*gga really had to come down here and press.

Allhiphop: Would you ever consider going to a major record label if, for some reason, the independent game doesn't work out?

C-Bo: I ain't trippin' on doing none of that, you know? I'm in it to get money, man. They'll come at me like they came at Cash Money. A n*gga ain't retarded. They'll have to give me $30 million up front, you know? I'm trying to be straight for the rest of my life. I want them long chippers, man. I want to do that black-owned sh*t, doing $6-$10 million a year, you know what I'm saying?

Allhiphop: Who are your true allies in this rap game?

C-Bo: I f*ck with WC, my n*gga CJ Mack, Jayo Felony, E40, Yukmouth, you know what I'm saying? I got a little clique of n*ggas I f*ck with.

Allhiphop: I know you are trying to drown the market with your product and it's all to the good, man. What other projects do you have coming out or in the works?

C-Bo: I got the DVD coming out on September 13th. It's just us doing a bunch of concerts. The first one is in Louisiana, and we did one in Oklahoma City, Denver, all that's chopped up on there. We're kicking it, riding to Cali and sh*t, you know?

Allhiphop: In your opinion, why would it be better for an artist to go independent and deal with all the sacrifice that comes with that as opposed to going to a major record label and attaining the lavishness that it has afforded certain artists?

C-Bo: To be honest, you can go wherever you want to. Don't be on some yes-man sh*t, you know what I'm saying? Handle your business; know what you got in line and move when you want to move.

Allhiphop: Before we conclude this, is there any last words or knowledge you want to drop on these cats? If there anything I missed, come with it, man.

C-Bo: A real street n*gga can never leave the streets, bruh. Period. You might be able to buy a house in the hills, but you got to come down. When it's all over, that's all that maybe left.