By The Time I Get To Arizona pt. 2

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 15, 2005
New Arizona Bill would outlaw MEChA and courses that "denigrate" American values

Article: LINK

Arizona public schools would be barred from any teachings considered counter to democracy or Western civilization under a proposal endorsed Wednesday by a legislative panel. Additionally, the measure would prohibit students of the state's universities and community colleges from forming groups based in whole or part on the race of their members, such as the Black Business Students Association at Arizona State University or Native Americans United at Northern Arizona University. Those groups would be forbidden from operating on campus.

Arizona schools whose courses "denigrate American values and the teachings of Western civilization" could lose state funding under the terms of legislation approved Wednesday by a House panel.

SB1108 also would bar teaching practices that "overtly encourage dissent" from those values, including democracy, capitalism, pluralism and religious tolerance. Schools would have to surrender teaching materials to the state superintendent of public instruction, who could withhold state aid from districts that broke the law.

Another section of the bill would bar public schools, community colleges and universities from allowing organizations to operate on campus if it is "based in whole or in part on race-based criteria," a provision Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, said is aimed at MEChA, the Moviemiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, a student group.

An Arizona legislative committee has passed an amendment to a routine homeland-security bill that would prohibit students at the state’s public universities and community colleges from organizing groups based on race. The amendment was approved by the Arizona House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday. It still awaits a vote by the state’s full House and Senate.

The amendment, introduced by State Rep. Russell K. Pearce, a Republican, would also allow state officials to withhold funds from public schools sponsoring activities that “denigrate American values and the teachings of Western civilization.” The proposal was added to Senate Bill 1108, a measure that has nothing to do with education but was intended to allow designees of mayors and police chiefs to serve on homeland-security advisory councils.

“This bill basically says, ‘You’re here. Adopt American values,’” State Rep. John Kavanagh, a Republican, told The Arizona Republic. “‘If you want a different culture, then fine, go back to that culture,’” he said.

The Appropriations Committee of the Arizona House of Representatives has approved provisions to a "Homeland Security" measure that would essentially destroy the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA) and Mexican-American study programs in the state's public schools, colleges and universities.

The anti-Mexican provisions to SB1108 were approved yesterday and the bill is now scheduled for a vote by the full House. The provisions would withhold funding to schools whose courses "denigrate American values and the teachings of European based civilization." One section of SB1108 would bar public schools, community colleges and universities from allowing organizations to operate on campus if it is "based in whole or in part on race-based criteria," a provision Rep. Russell Pearce said is aimed at MEChA. Pearce is a Republican and the Chairman of the Appropriations Committee out of Mesa, Arizona.

According to Chairman Pearce, SB1108 would also bar teaching practices that "overtly encourage dissent from American values" such as Raza Studies at the Tucson Unified School District. In addition, SB1108 mandates the State Superintendent of Public Instruction to confiscate books and teaching materials that are deemed anti-American. Chairman Pearce said some of the teaching materials amount to "sedition" by suggesting that the current border between the United States and Mexico disappear with La Raza taking over the American Southwest. One book that would be confiscated mentioned by Pearce is "Occupied America - A History of Chicanos" by Professor Rodolfo Acuña.
I guess "dissent" is no longer an American value.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
I heard about this and it's bull shit. It's fucked up that people have this idea that there should only be one language in this country and only one culture. Fuck that, there are hundreds of different cultures in this country and we need to embrace every single one of them if we want any kind of unity amongst the people of this country. People in Europe are accustomed to knowing several languages and cultures, while here in this country it is frowned upon and even institutionally discouraged! What fuckin idiots.

"counter to democracy or Western civilization"= Anything different than WASP values, culture, language, etc.,

May 24, 2007
This sounds like corruption in disguise, control the funds and you control the schools. its racist too, because its aimed against anyone who has a different culture and world view. They dont want money going to people who actually care about the conditions in the U.S. and who are on the short end of the stick.

Nov 20, 2006
Makes me want to join the Brown Berets, Fuck these politicians. If they have a problem with the colored majority they can fucking leave.

Jun 27, 2005
LOL who cares? Its Arizona. They didn't even recognize MLK day until 1992, and even then it was only because the NFL refused to hold the Superbowl there until they recognized the holiday. Fuck them weirdos, they dont matter anyway.

Mar 4, 2007
now isn't that dandy...
they gonna fuckin confiscate books that tell the truth...
LOL what fuck heads..

oh and lil pk, i met one of the founding leaders of the brown berets, he was reaaaallly old, but man, was it an experience, he was talkin on the mic to a crowd of maybe 30 or so people after the primero de mayo march of 2006 in san jose, and i was w/ my boyfriend (my ex now, and he's mexican) and my best friend who is black, and we were standing there listening and the guy could barely walk cause of how bad his arthritis was, but he walked up to the 3 of us, and said "this is what i have been fighting for my entire life..." and said "i love you my brother" and shook my boyfriends hand, and then"i love you my sister" to me, and "i love you my sister" to my best friend..

it was fuckin amazing and i was cryin my eyes out by the end of it lol..

Nov 20, 2005
I heard about this and it's bull shit. It's fucked up that people have this idea that there should only be one language in this country and only one culture. Fuck that, there are hundreds of different cultures in this country and we need to embrace every single one of them if we want any kind of unity amongst the people of this country. People in Europe are accustomed to knowing several languages and cultures, while here in this country it is frowned upon and even institutionally discouraged! What fuckin idiots.

"counter to democracy or Western civilization"= Anything different than WASP values, culture, language, etc.,
^^^^^^^

~k.

Nov 20, 2006
http://www.aztlan.net/professor_acuna_occupied_america.htm
Rodolfo F. Acuña on Arizona's proposal to ban his book

Arizona may ban Chicano Studies if Senator has his way

by
Rodolfo F. Acuña
PhD Chicana/o Studies
California State University at Northridge
May 2, 2008

Unlike many of the present day squatters in Arizona, I have deep feelings for Arizona. My mother’s family, the Elíases lived there for centuries.

But recently I have been swimming in a sea of emails alerting me to Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, amendments to Senate Bill 1108 that would permit Arizona to confiscate books, ban Chicano studies and exclude the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanos de Aztlan (MECHA) from Arizona’s campuses.

I am 75-years young and have lived through the McCarthy era and read about similar thought control crusades which history has exposed as idiotic. In the 1920s the words to the pledge of alliance were changed from “my flag” to the “flag of the United States” so aliens would not cross their fingers and salute a foreign flag. The present proposal ranks along side these kinds of idiocies.

If Pearce has his way, Arizona schools would ban courses “denigrate American values and the teachings of Western civilization” and would teaching practices that “overtly encourage dissent” from those values, including democracy, capitalism, pluralism and religious tolerance. Rep. Pearce who is not the sharpest knife in the box then would then be allowed to define patriotism and bar public schools, community colleges and universities from allowing organizations to operate on campus if they are “based in whole or in part on race-based criteria.” Among the books designated for burning is my book Occupied America: A History of Chicanos, a recipient of the Gustavus Myers Award for an Outstanding Book on Race Relations in North America.

OCCUPIED AMERICA: A History of ChicanosI am personally offended by Pearce’s labeling my book as seditious. Unlike Pearce, I served in the armed forces and did not claim deferments. I was a full time student in good standing at the University of Southern California during the Korean War but I volunteered for the draft. Pearce and many of the thought control cadets took a more opportunistic route. Moreover, many of the statements Pearce attributes to Occupied America were in quotation marks. Having taught well prepared students from the University of Phoenix, I know that Phoenix teaches its students what quotation marks mean.

For Pearce’s information, history is probative. It builds. That is why the content of U.S. history courses changes from elementary through high school. University courses which Pearce should are much more complex.

What I am more concerned about are Pearce’s attempts to smear MECHA. Adolph Hitler was a proponent of the use of the Big Lie as a viable propaganda technique. Hitler said that the bigger the lie the more adapt people were to believe it.

Pearce implies that MECHA excludes other races and promotes racism, which is just not true. For Pearce’s information, MECHA organizations on every campus are chartered by student affairs. In order to be chartered, the organization has to be open to all students regardless of their race, ethnicity or religion. Every campus differs. I have visited hundreds of campuses throughout the country and have found that on some campuses the majority of the members were non-Mexican American.

I entered education because I wanted to give gang kids an alternative – I loved the kids but hated gangs. Many former gang members are today lawyers, medical doctors and teachers because of Chicano studies and MECHA. Indeed, in California 85 to 95 percent of all Latino elected officials are alumni of this organization. Frankly, people like Pearce relish in the portrayal of Mexican Americans as gang members rather than university graduates because they can step on us.

The Big Lie strategy of Pearce and company is effective because most people become paralyzed in the face of the Big Lie. During World War II, most Americans turned a deaf ear to the herding of over 100,000 Japanese Americans into concentration camps. As a Mexican American I am proud of 16-year old Ralph Lazo from Belmont High in Los Angeles who said that this is not right and declared himself of Japanese decent and went to Manzanar with his friends. That story is documented in Occupied America.

Mexican Americans should realize that these attacks are today directed at them because Pearce looks at us as weak. He has not yet taken on the Hillel or the Newman Clubs on college campuses who like MECHA do fine work and incidentally have Jewish Americans and Catholics as their core members.

Hopefully, Arizonians will wake up and people like Pearce will suffer the same fate as the Pete Wilsons did in California. His attacks are race specific and based on the Big Lie. And history will unfortunately judge Arizonians who do not speak out.
I think COINTELPRO never ended.

Nov 20, 2006
If this does eventually pass, it needs to be asked in who's judgment will charges be handled and how acts like these holdup to the first amendment. The way I see it is that they wanna defeat our people in the process of assimilation. They took our land, and now they plan on taking our culture.