Buy this book : All The President's Spin

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002

From the editors of the best non-partisan website around, Spinsanity.

All the President's Spin, the first book from the editors of the acclaimed nonpartisan website Spinsanity, unmasks the tactics of deception and media manipulation that George W. Bush has used to sell his agenda to the American people.

From his campaigns for tax cuts to the debate over war in Iraq, President Bush has employed an unprecedented onslaught of half-truths and strategically ambiguous language to twist and distort the facts. Fritz, Keefer, and Nyhan's powerful critique of Bush's record of policy deception explains why the media has failed to hold him accountable and demonstrates the threat these tactics pose to honest political debate.

This is the essential book for every citizen who wants to understand how George W. Bush has misled the nation and why, if left unchallenged, all the President's spin could soon become standard practice -- a devastating development for our democracy.

Advance praise for All the President's Spin

"A clinical, dispassionate, and intellectually bulletproof analysis of the ways President Bush has manipulated public opinion. The authors meticulously paint a troubling picture of the way our national debates function. It ought to shame the press corps into mending its ways."
-Jonathan Chait, The New Republic

"Politicians talk so much that hardly anyone pays close attention to what they're actually saying. Ben Fritz, Bryan Keefer and Brendan Nyhan do, staying up late to match words with reality. It's a tough job -- imagine the migraines -- but the rest of us can be glad someone's doing it."
-Tucker Carlson, CNN

"A chilling and comprehensive account of how the government has polluted our country with a thick mist of foul propaganda."
-Neal Pollack, author of Never Mind the Pollacks
Buy it here :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743262514/spinsanity-20/

I know books have words in them and stuff and a lot of you probably didn't even to bother to read all this post, but if you want to know where Bush has misled the nation then buy this book.

This isn't just a bush-bashing book either, it covers the spin of a lot of other politicians also, including Kerry.
The authors want to promote truth and not a political ideology and that's what makes this book essential.

Dec 25, 2003
Any nonpartisan message against Bush is instantly labeled a partisan message by tadou, mclean, etc. I'd like to check this book out if finances permit. Good lookin on the heads up.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
Indeed, friend. Which is why i didn't pick up the Clarke or Woodward books either.

No wait.......I did.

I read more than you think. The difference is, i focus on studying things like History, Media and Political Science.....instead of reading 500 page treatisies of events in a 3 year span.

Dec 25, 2003
If you truly study history as you claim...then you would not have disputed my "right, left" wing assertion, when those definitions have been around for hundreds of years in some cases.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
"Definitions have been around for hundreds of years", yet you STILL can't find any proof, or quotes to back up such assertions.

The last time you tried, you mentioned campaign finance and the enviornment, and all kinds of crazy shit. You cant seriously think they thought global warming or soft money were problems back in the 1600's.

Dec 25, 2003
You're right tadou...history books, dictionary.com, and the political atlas of the 18 and 19th centuries are no real source at all.

left wing

n : those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare [syn: left]

right wing

n : those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged [syn: right]

I'm sorry I haven't posted this already, but seeing as how you attempt to come off as somewhat learned...I assumed this would be second nature to you. It seems everytime I debate with you I am forced to start at zero and teach as I go along.

May 8, 2002
Droopy Eye said:

From the editors of the best non-partisan website around, Spinsanity.
my ass

www.spinsanity.org

About the editors
Full disclosure: We all have been politically active in Democratic and progressive politics and disclose those affiliations below. We have strong personal views on politics and believe in participating in the political system , but we also share a commitment to the democratic values that motivate this site. Our pledge to our readers is that we will always be non-partisan, fair and civic-minded.

Ben Fritz ([email protected]) is quite tall. He is currently the technology reporter for the Hollywood trade paper Variety in Los Angeles. Ben also edits the satirical entertainment news website Dateline Hollywood and has written for Salon, Slate, and the Washington Monthly. Originally from New York, he is a 1999 graduate of Swarthmore College, where he double majored in political science and economics and hung out with Brendan Nyhan. Ben also served for a year in AmeriCorps*National Civilian Community Corps and edited a failed dot-com era publication.

Bryan Keefer ([email protected]) is the Assistant Managing Editor of the Columbia Journalism Review's Campaign Desk. Originally from Mountain View, California, Bryan graduated from Stanford University in 2000 with a degree in history. He subsequently moved to Washington, DC, where he worked as a research fellow at the AFL-CIO and research associate at the Service Employees International Union. A huge baseball fan, he has watched games in sixteen different major league stadiums. In his spare time he writes for his personal weblog, tries to find bars that televise Stanford basketball games, and works on the Great American Novel.

Brendan Nyhan ([email protected]) is a graduate student in the department of political science at Duke University. From 2001 to 2003, he managed new projects and later marketing and fundraising for Benetech, an innovative Silicon Valley nonprofit that develops technology projects addressing major social problems in areas such as disability, human rights, literacy, education, and the digital divide. Brendan grew up in Mountain View, California and attended Swarthmore College, where he graduated with high honors in political science and played second row for the rugby team. In 2000, he served as the Deputy Communications Director for the Bernstein for US Senate campaign in Nevada. While in college, he was the co-president of the Swarthmore College Democrats, co-founded The L-Word with Ben Fritz, worked on the Hoeffel for Congress campaign in 1998 and served as an intern in several political organizations and offices.
Mission statement
Why we do what we do.

Background article
Although American political debate was far from perfect in the past, the rise of public relations, a tactical shift toward influencing public opinion and the development of a pundit class have contributed to the rise of the new kind of rhetorical demagoguery we see today.

Dec 25, 2003
Mclean...spinsanity points out fallacies on absolutely all sides..from every possible candidate you can think of. You would have quoted much of their work on Michael moore if you had read it. But in typical Republican fashion...you automatically write it off instead of handling it.

tadou

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.Tadou.com
^^ The man didn't write off the whole book, friend, he wrote off the "best non-partisan website around" moniker, which, as you can see, is completely fallacious. The book is a whole other topic. But, alas, in typical W.D. fashion, you mix everything together into your bullshit jumbo.

May 16, 2002
tadou said:
^^ The man didn't write off the whole book, friend, he wrote off the "best non-partisan website around" moniker, which, as you can see, is completely fallacious. The book is a whole other topic. But, alas, in typical W.D. fashion, you mix everything together into your bullshit jumbo.
Spinsanity said:
About the editors
Full disclosure: We all have been politically active in Democratic and progressive politics and disclose those affiliations below. We have strong personal views on politics and believe in participating in the political system, but we also share a commitment to the democratic values that motivate this site. Our pledge to our readers is that we will always be non-partisan, fair and civic-minded.
See what I did here?

While Hatch highlighted the one part he taught was the most important, I highlighted another. What everyone should do though is is to read the entire quote.

What background the some of the authors have doesn't matter it's the articles that count.
The moniker "best non-partisan website around" is based on the articles, I want you to find one example in one of the Spinsanity articles where the authors themselves are spinning.

Right now, the two newest articles is about Kerry spin.

You and Hatch are people who would have no problem uttering the phrase : "The facts have a liberal bias."

May 8, 2002
Originally Posted by Spinsanity
About the editors
Full disclosure: We all have been politically active in Democratic and progressive politics and disclose those affiliations below. We have strong personal views on politics and believe in participating in the political system, but we also share a commitment to the democratic values that motivate this site. Our pledge to our readers is that we will always be non-partisan, fair and civic-minded.
See what I did here?

While Hatch highlighted the one part he taught was the most important, I highlighted another. What everyone should do though is is to read the entire quote.
and oreilly does/says the same thing yet that doesnt stop you guys from claiming conserviatve bias

so what is the difference

Dec 25, 2003
(lol)

O'Reilly continuously seeks the best avenue/the best portrayal for the conservative guest, and the opposite for the liberal guest or issue.

Example: "Unresolved Problem segment": Black home ownership highest under Bush. So Why don't black people like Bush? Incomes of black people rose during the Clinton era and now Black ownership is at a record high level, yet Black people still do not support President Bush.

This is typical faulty O'Reilly logic. He has one statistic that shows Black people are doing well...he ignores the hundreds of others that would still show Black people still suffer greatly and are on the lowest economic rung in our society. Why should Black people like Bush? Because they propsered under Clinton and own homes under Bush? How the fuck is this an "unresolved problem"? Bush hasn't done shit, in terms of legilation, policy, or action, concerning Black people, besides measures that make sure their poor old people will eventually have to dig deep for health insurance (See: Bush 'Healthcare Reform')