Brittany Murphy's last film - Deadline

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 14, 2002
This movie (also starring Thora Birch... yum) has apparently gone straight to dvd, and also Netflix streaming for your viewing pleas... well.. for viewing.

You can make all the excuses you want for why this movie was basically scrapped... She's dead, she takes pills in the movie, etc. I'm pretty damn sure though, that whoever was responsible for this movie breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't have to explain to theater audiences as to why he wasted everyones time. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that she had killed herself based on her awful performance in a movie that required very little.

A brief synopsis: Brittany Murphy is a writer who is being stalked by an old boyfriend, has writers block and wants to get away, so she winds up in a secluded creepy house. The house is "haunted", and the ghost of Thora Birch is crafty enough to "scare" Brittany's character into the creepy attic where (miraculously) a box of video tapes is knocked over.

The tapes are from the previous owners of the house who have mysteriously dissapeared, and for one reason or another all their shit is still in the house and no police bothered to investigate a fucking thing.

Instead of leaving the house and running away, she chooses to watch the video tapes and solve the mystery of the haunted house.

I don't want to give away the "ending", but here's what I assume the script looked a bit like..

Brittany walks into dark room and turns on light... Nothing is there. She turns off light and walks into next room. She turns on the light in this room and nothing is there. She turns off the light. Slowly as fuck, she walks into the next room and turns on the light. Nothing is there. She (even slower now) walks into the next room and reviews the next tape without questioning the sounds she heard or the items that were moved in the room.

There is no dialog in that piece of "script" for a reason. There hardly is any.

Not once is she scared by the "ghost" in this flick. It's almost as if there is no ghost, even though that's the whole basis of the movie. If there's a shadow or a sound, she'll investigate it, find nothing, and then pretend it never happened and continue investigating the "mystery", which wouldn't even be a mystery if she just sat down and watched all the fucking tapes in order.

The movie eventually ends (thank god), and inserts a "twist" that doesn't make a shit of sense. The twist consists of her speaking one line of dialog. The movie is only made more shitty by this "twist", because it doesn't explain a fucking thing. It's a generic "twist" that made sense in some movies, but not this one.

Please watch this and join in on the fun.

Nov 14, 2002
review sounds biased, but then again it does sound like a typical pg-13 modern day garbage horror/thriller flick....
Biased? I like horror films, was a pretty big fan of Brittany Murphy, and have been in love with Thora Birch since Ghost World. I'd say I went into this expecting something at least somewhat watchable.

And no, I'd rather watch a modern day garbage horror/thriller flick over this.