Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
Herrera: Danny Garcia Panics When He Sees Blood

By Bill "Two Scoops" Emes

Junior welterweight contender Mauricio Herrera said he saw a lot of flaws in WBC/WBA champion Danny Garcia. Herrera studied a lot of tapes and he says Garcia is not very active, wings his shots and panics when he sees his own blood. Herrera exposed some of those flaws on Saturday night in Bayamon, where he lost a close twelve round majority decision to Garcia, but many observers scored the fight a draw or had Herrera winning by a point or two.

"I don't think Danny was expecting me to come out like that. He was surprised and shocked tonight. I just hope that he gives me a rematch if he stays at 140. I was using my jab, moving my head, using a lot of feints and staying alert," Herrera said. "He doesn't throw many punches. He wings a lot. Throws counter-shots. I knew that if I stick in the jab in there it would work for me."

"I saw the blood flow [when I busted his nose], I smelled blood. I was pumping my jab to continue the blood flowing, because I saw in other fights that when he starts to bleed he starts to panic. I saw that in his face and I wanted to keep that going. I didn't feel too much power. I thought he would punch harder because of how people talk about how big of a puncher that he is. When I felt his power I felt confident. I thought he would come forward and want to fight, so I when I saw him backing up I had to push the fight. Maybe he didn't throw as strong as he did in other fighters, but I sparred with a lot of counter-punchers who were really fast and better counter-punchers than him."

Feb 8, 2006
Veteran trainer sees 'definitive win' for Bradley

ABS-CBNnews.com

Respected boxing trainer Naazim Richardson will not be surprised if American Timothy Bradley Jr. scores a decisive victory over Filipino ring legend Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao in their April 12 rematch.

Richardson, who was in Shane Mosley’s corner when he fought Pacquiao in 2011, told On the Ropes Boxing Radio that he expects Bradley to “beat up on Pacquiao in this fight.”

“I would not be surprised if Timmy definitively beats Pacquiao in this fight. I would not be surprised at all,” said Richardson.

“I thought Pacquiao looked good against Brandon Rios (last Novemner) but I think Brandon Rios was absolutely perfect for Manny Pacquiao,” he added.

Bradley holds a controversial victory over Pacquiao when he was awarded a highly unpopular split decision when they first fought in June 2012.

But Richardson said Bradley should win more convincingly this time.

“I’m just looking for Timmy to take a certain kind of angle with Pacquiao,” he said. “I think Timmy is going to spot it earlier, and be busier behind it.”

“He did it in the first fight to a degree, and I think he’s going to do it more in this fight,” he added.

Richardson also lauded Bradley as a fighter who simply finds ways to win.

“Timmy is a guy that finds a way to win. See, what I keep telling people – the best fighter is a fighter that no one is talking about,” said Richardson.

Feb 8, 2006
SHAWN PORTER: "I WILL STEAMROLL PAULIE ON MY WAY TO VICTORY APRIL 19"

Two world championship fights on one night is great for boxing fans. But Golden Boy Promotions and SHOWTIME believe that three is even better. So, on Saturday, April 19, joining the title fights between Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins and Beibut Shumenov and Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin and Lukas Konecny there will be a battle for the IBF Welterweight World title between champion Shawn "Showtime" Porter and former two-time and two division word champion and current NABF Welterweight titleholder Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi, making this tripleheader at the D.C. Armory in Washington, D.C. a must see.

"I fought hard to get this title. Paulie says he wants it, but is he willing to go through me to get it?" said Porter, who won his crown with an impressive win over Devon Alexander last December. "Fighting Malignaggi is like fighting Alexander. They don't have the strength or power to keep me away, and I will steamroll Paulie on my way to victory April 19."

"I'm excited to be back in a title fight so soon after my win over Zab Judah. I will become a three-time world champion on April 19," said Malignaggi. "Porter is a good fighter and I'm sure he'll be a champion again in the future, but he doesn't have the tools or experience to beat me."

A native of Akron, Ohio, unbeaten Shawn "Showtime" Porter (23-0-1, 14 KOs) showed on Dec. 7, 2013 that all of the rave reviews he received since his amateur days were well deserved, as he scored a 12-round unanimous decision win over Devon Alexander to win the IBF Welterweight World title. The win followed impressive professional victories over Julio Diaz, Phil Lo Greco and Alfonso Gomez that put Porter at the top of the 147-pound weight class. Now the 26-year-old begins his reign on April 19 against "Magic Man."

When he's not winning awards for his commentating work on SHOWTIME broadcasts, NABF Welterweight Champion Brooklyn's Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi (33-5, 7 KOs) is proving that, at 33, he's still one of the top welterweights in the world. Winner of six of his last seven bouts, with the only loss coming via split decision to Adrien Broner last June, Malignaggi was in top form when he defeated Zab Judah last December, and on April 19, he has the opportunity to become a three-time World Champion.

For more information, visit Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime : Sports : Home and follow on Twitter at T @Thereal bhop, K @kid chocolate, S @SHOWTIME ShawnP P @paul Malignaggi G @Golden BoyBoxing, @SHOSports and @Swanson_Comm , follow the conversation using #HopkinsShumenov and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyBoxing and www.facebook.com/SHOBoxing.

Hopkins vs. Shumenov, a 12-round fight for the IBF, IBA and WBA Light Heavyweight World Championship, will take place Saturday, April 19 at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona, AT&T and Casamigos Tequila. In the co-features, Peter Quillin puts his WBO Middleweight World Title on the line against Lukas Konecny in a 12-round bout and Shawn Porter faces Paulie Malignaggi in a 12-round welterweight bout for his IBF World title. The live SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast will begin at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) and will be available in Spanish via secondary audio programming (SAP).

Tickets priced at $25, $50, $75, $200 and $300, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges, are on sale now and available online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling (800) 745-3000. The DC Armory Box Office will be open on fight night only from 3 p.m.-10 p.m. ET.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Yesterday I watched a documentary about the Big East and college basketball. I am not a college sports fan but the documentary was sick as fuck. I didn't know Georgetown were the heels of college basketball. Ewing was a fuckin BEAST. But anyway, the documentary also shed a lot of light on the business aspect and how the Big East came to be, the tv deals afterwards, etc. So I say this, like I said last week, don't be surprised if Haymon and crew decide to do their own ppv free of showtime and hbo.

Feb 8, 2006
Mayfield: Herrera Won, I'll Beat The Brakes off Garcia

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Top Rank's undefeated Super Lightweight contender, Karim "Hard Hitta" Mayfield (18-0-1, 11 KOs), talks about his training camp with Virgil Hunter, his upcoming bout against Puerto Rico's rising star Thomas Dulorme (20-1, 18 KOs), fighting on HBO for the second time in his career and the Garcia vs. Herrera outcome.

Mayfield vs. Dulorme, 10-round bout for the NABF Super Lightweight title, will take place in Atlantic City, New Jersey Saturday, March 29 on the undercard of Sergey Kovalev (23-0-1, 21 KOs) vs. Cedric Agnew (26-0, 13 KOs). Both fights will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark® beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Mayfield on training with Virgil Hunter...

"Virgil and I have been working together since I was in the amateurs. He knows how to push me to bring out the best in my fighting style. Ben Bautista is also helping out. Virgil has some of the best fighters in the world working out at his gym so I'm getting the best sparring possible. Virgil has got me working on some new punches that I'll display against Dulorme. Together I have a great corner guiding me to the top. Training camp is going great."

Mayfield on his fight against top rated contender Thomas Dulorme...

"Dulorme is a technical guy with a long jab who has some fast hands. He's nothing special though. I've seen him get knocked out before so I know his chin is suspect. I've fought guys who are long and rangy just like him so I'm confident in my ability to land some powerful shots. If I touch that chin of his, there's no doubt, he's getting knocked out."

Mayfield comments on the Danny Garcia vs. Mauricio Herrera outcome...

"I thought Herrera pulled off the victory against Garcia because he landed more punches and was the aggressor for most of the fight. The fact that I dominated Herrera and he got the world title opportunity means there's something wrong. I've been calling Danny Garcia out for the last couple of years but he's been running from me because I put it on him when he brought me in camp. I'll beat the breaks off Garcia if we ever fight. First I have to take care of Dulorme and that is where my 100% focus is right now."

Mayfield comments on fighting on HBO for the second time...

"I'm very excited to be fighting on HBO again. This is a big opportunity to prove I'm one of the top fighters in the division. This is the type of fight the fans are seeking, two guys at the top of their game who are hungry to prove their great. I want to thank my promoter Bob Arum, Top Rank and HBO for giving another shot to showcase my talent on a global network."

Feb 8, 2006
Bradley: Nothing Can Stop Me From Being Number One

Question - Discuss 2013 and how your fights against Provodnikov & Marquez solidified you as one of the top pound for pound fighters in the world.

Timothy Bradley - “2013 was a great year for me. I started out the year fighting a guy who wasn't very well known outside the boxing community by the name of Ruslan Provodnikov. You might have heard of him by now since our fight was voted, "Fight Of The Year" by the Boxing Writers of America. Ruslan has also gone on to win a Jr. Welterweight title and has moved into many peoples top 10 pound for pound lists.

“My second fight of 2013 was against a current top five pound for pound guy that had just come off of the KO of the year against Manny Pacquiao, the future hall of famer Juan Manuel Marquez. This fight unlike the Provodnikov fight was a chess match and I believe I gave Juan Manuel Marquez a boxing lesson.

“With these two fights I was able to show that I can outbox a top five pound for pound boxer and I could also go toe to toe with one of the most feared punchers in the sport. I was able to show the fans that I am a versatile fighter and can box and brawl as needed. I believe that being a top pound for pound fighter means that you have to do whatever it takes to win whether its outbox your opponent or fight your opponent blow for blow in the center of the ring. I am out to prove that I am one of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport if not the best.

“In my two fights in 2013 I was able to show that I can do it all in the sport of boxing. This next fight will be no different in helping me show the fans that I am top pound for pound in the world. I have a lot to prove and nothing can stop me on my way to being number one in the world.”

Face Off with Max Kellerman: Pacquiao/Bradley 2 debuts Sat., March 22 at 11:45 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.

24/7 Pacquiao/Bradley 2 premieres Saturday, March 29 at Midnight ET/PT on HBO. Show 2 debuts Saturday, April 5 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT and show 3 debuts Thursday, April 10 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT two nights before the high stakes welterweight title bout.

Pacquiao vs. Bradley 2 takes place Sat., April 12 live on pay-per-view beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.

Jul 24, 2005
Still no opponent for Ruslan Provodnikov’s next fight
March 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 38 Comments
46Share 1 527Share 8Tweet

Ruslan Provodnikov boxing By Robbie Bannatyne: For a promoter whose stable is in danger of bleeding dry after his two most profitable cash cows, Manny Pacquaio and Juan Manuel Marquez, depart Top Rank and retire in the not too distant future, it beggars belief that Bob Arum’s new star pupil, Ruslan Provodnikov, still has no opponent lined up for his next fight.

What is more unbelievable is that Mike Alvarado, who was destroyed by Provodnikov in his very last fight, has been gift wrapped a scrap with Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez. The winner of that fight will face the victor of the Manny Pacquaio vs Timothy Bradley for the WBO welterweight title.

So despite being beaten to a pulp by the big punching Russian, Alvarado still somehow holds some of the aces, and is guaranteed at least one lucrative pay day and a massive fight against a future hall of famer. This article wishes to express no anti-Alvarado sentiments. He is a game fighter and a good opponent, but Provodnikov has proved beyond doubt that he is better. Put simply, Provodnikov has earned his props the hard way and based purely on merit he should be facing Marquez- not Alvarado.

So why then, is Provodnikov being spurned and denied opportunities he has dedicated his life to earning? It seems like the Top Rank stable are scared of the Siberian Rocky. Apart from Brandon Rios- the most willing target in the sport- none of the other star names in the Top Rank stable have expressed any interest in having the dangerous Russian as a dancing partner. Alvarado obviously neglected to negotiate terms for a rematch to regain the title he lost in his defeat to Provodnikov. From his reluctance for revenge we can deduce that he wants no further part of Provodnikov.

Provodnikov won’t fight Manny Pacquaio because Freddie Roach trains them both. As long time stable mates and sparring partners they are obviously good pals and thus it stands to reason neither would want to meet in the ring for real. Anyway, at this late stage of his career Ruslan Provodniov is probably the last man Manny Pacquaio would want to fight.

For similar reasons, Juan Manuel Marquez can also be ruled out of the equation. At 40 years old, the legendary Mexican is in the closing stages of his career and can ill afford to face such a relentless and powerful force as Provodniov, especially when he can pick up much greater paydays for far less punishment.

Timothy Bradley was lucky to escape a life and death battle against Provodnikov with his brain functions still intact, let him alone his title. He told Boxing News in an exclusive interview that he never wants another war like that again. But that dreaded scenario probably would be the exact narrative that would unfold if he were to face Provonikov again.

Bradley would be dragged into the trenches and forced to fight fire with fire on a basis far too frequent for his liking. The Russian has shown he has the capacity to cut off the ring and make his opponents exchange- he would likely have knocked Bradley out if there bout lasted for an extra 30 seconds as he cut off the ring very impressively in the closing stages after being out boxed in the middle rounds. Consequently, we can safely remove Bradley’s name from the list of potential opponents for Provodnikov.

Stylistically, Provodnikov versus Rios is a match made in heaven that would send both men to hell due to the horrendous punishment both would sustain. But after being found guilty of using a banned substance to help him cut weight for the Pacquiao encounter at 147lb, there are serious reservations about whether Brandan Rios could even make 140lb to fight Provodnikov. You know the situation is pretty desperate when one of your only potential opponents cannot possibly, or legally, make the weight limit for a fight.

Golden Boy Promotions could offer Provodnikov the paydays and prizefights his career craves. Judging by the current state of affairs at Top Rank they cannot provide the same opportunities.

From an outside perspective, it seems like Provodnikov has an easy decision to make: defect from Top Rank and join Golden Boy’s burgeoning stable of fighters in the welterweight divisions.

Thanks for reading fight fans

Read more at Still no opponent for Ruslan Provodnikov’s next fight

Jul 24, 2005
Malignaggi: Shawn Porter doesn’t have the experience or tools to beat me
March 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 84 Comments
70Share 6 93Share 10Tweet

Porter Malignaggi Porter vs. Malignaggi shawn porter paulie malignaggi By Allan Fox: Paulie Malignaggi (33-5, 7 KO’s) will be challenging unbeaten IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (23-0-1, 14 KO’s) on April 19th on the undercard of the Beibut Shumenov vs. Bernard Hopkins fight at the DC Armory, Washington, District of Columbia, USA. Malignaggi thinks his experience will be too much for the young 26-year-old Porter, who has faced much lesser opposition during his 6-year pro career.

“Porter is a good fighter and I’m sure he’ll be a champion again in the future, but he doesn’t have the tools or experience to beat me.”

Porter looked very good in beating Devon Alexander last December, and I think Malignaggi might be going in the direction by thinking that Porter’s lack of experience means that he’ll automatically be losing to him. Porter fought well in dominating Alexander with his aggressiveness, and his inside fighting. He’s also looked good in his two fights against Julio Diaz and in his wins over Phil Lo Greco and Alfonso Gomez.

Malignaggi, 33, is getting a big break in getting another world title shot after his loss to Adrien Broner last year in June. Malignaggi rebounded from that loss in defeating Zab Judah last December, but that was against a light welterweight contender and not a welterweight. Judah no longer fights in the welterweight division, and so it’s difficult to see that as a meaningful fight for Malignaggi. A rebound fight should have been Malignaggi fighting a top 15 welterweight like Keith Thurman, Kell Brook or Robert Guerrero instead of fighting an aging light welterweight like Judah.

Porter will be a very tough opponent for Malignaggi, because he’s not going to back off and stop punching completely the way that Judah did against Malignaggi. That was a fight where Malignaggi was knocked down early in the 2nd round by Judah, but instead of him continuing to fight well, Judah stopped punching for the remainder of the fight and just stood like a frozen statue in front of Malignaggi. Porter isn’t going to freeze up and stop punching. He’s someone that will continue to apply pressure on Malignaggi for the entire fight, and force him into a war whether he wants to or not.

Read more at Malignaggi: Shawn Porter doesn’t have the experience or tools to beat me

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer thinks Mayweather-Maidana will bring in huge PPV numbers if Broner and Khan added to card
March 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 202 Comments
433Share 2 497Share 39Tweet

marcos rene maidana floyd mayweather jr adrien broner By Chris Williams: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer thinks the upcoming Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana pay-per-view card on Showtime could bring in the biggest PPV numbers that they’ve seen in a long time if Adrien Broner and Amir Khan are added to the card in separate fights. Scahefer feels that having both of these young fighters on the card will make the card a tremendous success.

Schaefer’s not saying how big the card would be, but obviously he sees it bringing in more than the 2.2 million PPV buys that the recent Mayweather vs. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fight card brought in last September.

“Everybody is asking me whether Broner is going to be on that card, and whether Khan is going to be on the card,” Schaefer told RingTV. “If I could get Adrien Broner against somebody, and Amir Khan against somebody, I think it would be, without any question, the biggest pay-per-view card that we have seen in recent history.”

Having both Broner and Khan on the Mayweather card will definitely help it in a big way. How much it’ll take it hard to tell, because both fighters are rumored to be taking on less than appealing opposition. Broner could face John Molina in a fight at 140. Khan might end up facing Luis Collazo. Those are probably not big enough fights to have a significant impact on PPV sales.

Having Broner and Khan on the card will help the card, but they would need to either be matched against each other or against really opposition to increase the PPV buys. Fans aren’t going to be persuaded to buy the fight if both Khan and Broner are scheduled for mismatches against opposition that aren’t well known or who don’t have a huge following. Molina and Collazo would be a good fight for them to face each other on ESPN2, but it’s not appealing to have either of those guys facing Broner or Khan on the Mayweather card.

I hope Mayweather persuades Schaefer to have Broner and Khan to take on opposition that will really test them, because fans aren’t going to want to see two mismatches on the undercard of the Mayweather vs. Maidana card. The recent Golden Boy Showtime PPV card head-lined by Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo was filled with mismatches. They need to break from this pattern in the Mayweather card on May 3rd if they want to bring in huge PPV numbers.

Read more at Schaefer thinks Mayweather-Maidana will bring in huge PPV numbers if Broner and Khan added to card

Jul 24, 2005
The time for boxing reform was Saturday
March 17th, 2014 | Post Comment - 50 Comments
37Share 2 55Share 8Tweet

By Bradley Dee: How many ridiculous decisions can one sport have before something is done about it? I’ll give you the answer after Saturday. Unlimited. I started watching boxing probably in my early twenties. I started later than some, although I do consider myself a diehard rabid fan enough that I watch all the meaningless fights and co-features.

From the very beginning I can always remember this being a problem in boxing, and the very first one I really remember was Fres Oquendo vs. Chris Byrd. Watching that fight, I had no doubt in my mind Oquendo had picked up the win. At the end, Byrd had his hand raised. Then it happened again in Byrd vs. Golota. A fight Golota clearly won. Then Golota-Ruiz. Really? Can this happen this many times? Yes, it can. It did.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was handed a decision he didn’t deserve over Brian Vera in the first fight as well. Can this really happen again? Yes it can.

Saturday night, in a fight Danny Garcia CLEARLY lost, he was given the fight and he retained his title. A title he clearly lost in the ring. There will be no rematch for obvious reasons.

Boxing needs reform and one regulated sanctioning body. Judges need to be held accountable, and suspended and fired and never allowed to judge again after fights like this. There is no excuse why this fight shouldn’t be reviewed and prompt action taken against all involved.

That should have happened in Byrd-Oquendo years ago and it didn’t, and it won’t happen this time either. As my friend in MMA always says, “Boxing, I love it, but I won’t watch it because of the ridiculous robberies.” He has a poin

Read more at The time for boxing reform was Saturday

Feb 8, 2006
Did Amir Khan talk his way out of the Mayweather sweepstakes and now the welterweight picture?

By ”Showtime” Stephen Lynch

Former world champion Amir Khan is back in the UK this week and is likely to announce his next opponent within days. The identity of Khan’s dance partner remains unclear, with names such as Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner, Kell Brook and Danny Garcia circulating recently. There are various permutations of where Khan goes next following his 11 month layoff since a forgettable points win over Julio Diaz and a frustrating period trying to get Floyd Mayweather into the ring.

“King Khan” suffered a setback when the P4P King chose Argentinean slugger Marcos Maidana, and has since claimed that Mayweather went for the path of least resistance and took “the easy route” in opting to fight Maidana. Perhaps it’s churlish to suggest this easier route involves fighting someone possessing an 88% knockout ratio and someone whose record at welterweight is knocking out three people in a row and taking Adrien Broner’s undefeated record. Although given the Bolton fighter’s recent inactivity, largely at the hands of Mayweather, such petulance is understandable.

Let’s explore a fringe but plausible theory of why Mayweather-Khan fell by the wayside – this being that at some point in the protracted negotiations – that Khan himself, or someone on his team crossed an invisible line and offended Floyd Mayweather. The Mayweather who moves whenever he wants, decides who to fight, when, how and wherever he pleases. The Floyd Mayweather who refuses to be put into a corner when it comes to the business end of the sport, and who has stubbornly, at times, refused outright to even entertain the thought of fighting Manny Pacquiao. The Floyd Mayweather who made Mexican superstars Saul Alvarez and Juan Manuel Marquez meet him at the catchweights he set for him. Woe betide the man who tries to dictate to, coax or frogmarch the sport’s most powerful fighter.

The cardinal sin Khan allegedly made was in December, when he made public to the British media the fact that he had already signed the contract – his side of the bargain if you will – to fight Mayweather on May 3. Prior to this Khan had been telling journalists the fight was “very close” to being finalised with an announcement potentially coming within a couple of weeks. Indeed Khan had pulled out of negotiations to fight then IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander in December, if it wasn’t already clear that the Englishman was closing in winning “Money” Mayweather’s sweepstakes.

When Maidana’s winning ticket came up in February, Matchroom Sports’ Eddie Hearn revealed he had made a $5 million offer to Khan to fight his own unbeaten Kell Brook this summer – most likely in an English football stadium. However, Hearn was more insightful in a Boxing News interview in January, saying he had heard that Mayweather “wasn’t too happy” about Khan publishing the contract – adding that he had a feeling the fight subsequently wouldn’t happen. Hearn would later be proven right.

As far as who Khan will fight, it is likely to be Luis Collazo, the recent conqueror of Victor Ortiz, former foe of Ricky Hatton and holder of a WBA International strap at welterweight. Sources close to Khan have indicated he turned down the opportunity of fighting Robert Guerrero, preferring Collazo out of both southpaws. Guerrero’s pursuit of a divorce from Golden Boy Promotions may be an equally disqualifying factor also. The Adrien Broner clash seems unlikely, a precarious fight for Golden Boy given the stage both are at in their careers. Broner seems likelier to fight John Molina or namesake Carlos Molina (the lightweight, former Khan opponent) – more likely than challenging IBF 140lb champion Lamont Peterson. A rematch with Danny Garcia may make sense post-Herrera but logistically it comes too soon for an ever-closer April/May return.

Kell Brook looms large on Khan’s perspective of the welterweight division also, given he is a mandatory to the winner of Shawn Porter’s intriguing defence against Paulie Malignaggi in April. But it is as a fellow British fighter and a “noisy neighbour” that Brook presents himself as a lucrative option to Khan. It’s a fight that plenty of fans, hardcore and casual, would get excited about. However Khan’s decision to not challenge Devon Alexander last year was perhaps partly a calculation that he would have been mandated to defend the belt against Kell Brook by this summer – as the winner of Porter-Malignaggi now has to. You get the impression Sheffield’s “Special One” is too keen to match-up with Khan at this stage when he has the entire division at his feet and that King Khan is far too aloof and dismissive of such a fight that would tick alot of boxes for him. Mayweather should be fighting again in September, a month that Khan hasn’t fought since his first loss to Breidis Prescott in 2008. Khan’s devout observation of Ramadan would surely now rule out a fight with Mayweather until May 2015 at the earliest.

Team Khan’s announcement will be welcomed this week as there were suggestions that Amir has sidestepped into some sort of semi-retirement or quasi-champion emeritus status that an exceptional fighter reaches near the end of their career, where they can pick and choose meticulously who they fight. The idea that Khan is now of that position where he can cerebrally choose only those fights that enhance his legacy or bank balance is one that is open to question, even ridicule. There is also the cynical suspicion that Khan’s promoters are withholding him from any meaningful challenge until they can bundle him into a lucrative fight to “cash out” on a declining career they’ve invested time and money into – maybe recouping some of the losses they’ve made with Victor Ortiz in recent years while they’re at it.

What is striking about the vast majority of names above (including Khan) is that they’re clients of the Gus Fring of the sport, Al Haymon, who is no doubt moving the pieces of the chess board to accommodate each of them – commensurate with their experience and status in boxing. It speaks volumes that firstly his name is mentioned often and almost always positively by fighters and secondly that he is rarely seen or heard from directly. Maybe even Haymon’s influence won’t extend to restoring the golden opportunity that Khan and his team had in their grasp for several months. Before Maidana’s shock win over Broner and before Khan’s premature briefing of the media he was the nailed-on frontrunner to win the sweepstakes. Next time he may well be more careful in his business dealings with the man who tells us that he is his own boss and answers to no-one.

Feb 8, 2006
THOMAS DULORME ON KARIM MAYFIELD: "HE THINKS HE'S UNBEATABLE, BUT I WILL PROVE HIM WRONG"

Gary Shaw Productions rising star, Puerto Rican sensation, Thomas Dulorme (20-1, 14 KOs), who's highly ranked in all sanctioning organizations, gives his thoughts on his recent training camp with new trainer, Robert Garcia. Dulorme will battle Karim Mayfield (18-0-1, 11 KOs) in Atlantic City, New Jersey, March 29 in a 10-round bout for the NABF Super Lightweight title on the undercard of Sergey Kovalev (23-0-1, 21 KOs) vs. Cedric Agnew (26-0, 13 KOs). Both fights will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark® beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Dulorme on working with promoter Gary Shaw and fighting on HBO...

"Gary Shaw is a fantastic promoter and I'm thrilled to be fighting back on HBO. I told Shaw that I was hungry to get back into world title contention and that is exactly what I'm doing going up against a tough fighter like Mayfield. Gary Shaw has always been straight forward with me when it comes to my career and I appreciate him standing behind me. I want to thank Shaw and everyone at HBO for giving me another opportunity to fight on the big stage. I promise to put on a great show."

Dulorme comments on his recent training camp with Robert Garcia....

"I've been here training with Robert Garcia in Oxnard, Californian for the last eight weeks. He's a tremendous coach and I'm learning a lot about myself and what I need to improve on. There is always room for growth and Garcia is bringing the best out of me. I've been getting great sparring and I'll be 100% ready for Mayfield's awkward style."

Dulorme discusses strength and conditioning methods with Alex Ariza...

"Alex Ariza is great at what he does and I'm happy that he is helping me with my strength and conditioning. We are doing a lot of explosive drills that are helping me with my overall speed and stamina. I feel very strong at 140lbs and with the type of training Ariza has me doing, I feel more confident in my ability to punch with power at this weight."

Dulorme on sparring with top level opposition...

"I don't want to give up the names of my sparring partners but everyone that Garcia has me sparring have excellent professional records and all of them are giving me great work. There are a couple of Russian fighters along with a few Olympians in camp with me. During this camp there is no room to make mistakes or else you will pay for them. These are the best sparring partners I've had for any camp in my pro career."

Dulorme on his fight against undefeated contender Karim Mayfield...

"Mayfield is a great fighter but he's never faced the type of punches that I'll be throwing at him. I posses speed and power unlike any of Mayfield's past opponents. His awkward style will not be a problem. He also has physical disadvantages that I will exploit. I know he thinks he's unbeatable but I will prove him wrong."

Feb 8, 2006
Juan Manuel Marquez: Mike Alvarado Will Be Dangerous

By Salvador Rodriguez

Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez (55-7-1, 40KOs) is expecting a very tough and dangerous fight when he steps in the ring with Mike Alvarado (34-2, 23KOs) at a catch-weight of 143-pounds on May 17th at the Forum in Los Angeles, California.

Both fighters are coming back from defeats in October 2013. Marquez lost a twelve round split decision to WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao and Alvarado was stopped by Ruslan Provodnikov. The winner of this fight will receive the opportunity to get a direct shot at the April 12th winner between Manny Pacquiao and Bradley.

Marquez, 40-years-old, felt he overtrained for Bradley and plans to cut some things down for Alvarado. He trained for 100 days for Bradley, but wants to train for 60 days for Alvarado.

"Perhaps less sparring, and focus more on speed and power at this point in my career," Marquez said. "I'm the type of fighter who likes to prepare myself for three months or three and a half months, but in the last fight it didn't work for us in terms of what we wanted in speed and power, and that's why this time we are going to train less."

Alvarado might be coming off a TKO defeat, but Marquez is taking his worth very seriously.

"Alvarado is going to be dangerous during the entire duration of the fight. He lost to great fighters and he wants to return to a winning path, because another defeat will bring him closer to retirement. So of course he is going to press, then he is going to box, and he is going to want to counterpunch, but we are going to prepare ourselves for whatever he wants to do," Marquez said.

Feb 8, 2006
NAAZIM RICHARDSON: TIMOTHY BRADLEY’S EYEBALL COULD FALL OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING AND HE’LL KICK IT OVER TO HIS COACH AND KEEP FIGHTING”

SUBMITTED BY JENNA J ON TUE, 18 MARCH 2014

JENNA J:
Naazim, Bernard Hopkins is set to return to the ring April 19th, how are things looking with him since he started getting back in the gym?

NAAZIM RICHARDSON:
He never really gets out of the gym, he starts like a pre work out, so he’s been in the gym for a minute now just fine tuning some things. Engine on a car like that you got to keep it running, you can’t just let it sit in the garage, cause it might not start up. You got to crack it up and take it around the block many times, constantly.

JENNA J:
What are your thoughts on Beibut Shumenov as a fighter?

NAAZIM:
Beibut, I’ve had the privilege of working with Beibut a little bit. He is one of the characters in boxing you might say. He’s a lawyer, he’s rich, he’s like a prince over there in Russia, but he is a talented kid.

He was at the Olympics with my son, he is very similar like that kid Lomachenko, guys like that don’t really feel a need to wait around and take that long drawn out road, they feel like they can jump fight in there, and mix it up, and pretty much they can when you come up in that kind of program.

JENNA J:
The fight with Beibut Shumenov is a unification fight, does that add anything for Bernard?

NAAZIM:
It’s a unification, and he knows that. It’s not a new dance for Bernard. He has unified that title in the middleweight division, and can you believe it, the guy is coming up and doing the same thing in the Light heavyweight division, he is a bizarre guy.

JENNA J:
Marquez has said that he wants to take on the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley 2. From what you saw of Marquez in his last bout, do you think he still poses problems for Pacquiao?

NAAZIM:
I don’t think he can outshine–Pacquiao won’t let that happen again. Tim is too good and too big of a man for Marquez to get around. But Marquez is another one that you can’t underestimate, when guys set their minds to it, they can lift up buildings.

We’re in an era now where young guys will quit a fight–and I’m not doing like the older guys who say, “It ain’t like it used to be,” but in this sense, it really isn’t like it used to be. In this era, you still have guys that have that tone of the old days, Timothy Bradley is one of those guys.

You gotta protect Timmy from himself, he’s not gonna quit, he’s gonna fight. But these young boys out here now, they sit down on the stool and they look up at the big monitor and say, “Hey my barber didn’t line my haircut up right,” and they want the fight stopped. They’ll be like, “Yo I should have had blue shoe laces with these boots, we’re gonna have to stop the fight.”

It’s gotten that ridiculous with these young guys. Today they get a different type of water in their bottle and they want the fight stopped. We still got guys like Timothy out there, his eyeball could fall out in the middle of the ring and he’ll kick it over to his coach and keep fighting.

JENNA J:
If Pacquiao and Marquez did fight for a 5th time, who would you favor?

NAAZIM:
I feel Marquez knows how to beat Pacquiao, I’ve always said that and I still stand with that. Marquez knows how to beat Pacquiao. Pacquiao is a special fighter too so he’ll avoid the knockout, but I think Marquez just knows how to beat Pacquiao.
My biggest problem with that fight is, will he get the decision? It’s very similar to what Bernard does sometimes to himself. Bernard has performances that are so outstanding that in the next performance if a guy does better than that other guy did in the last fight, people tend to give the other guy the decision.

They know Bernard has a Trinidad , Tarver, Kelly Pavlik type of performance in him. So when he comes out and the guy does better than those guys, sometimes judges are like, “Wow, this is not as clean as the Tarver fight.” Then they have a tendency to give a guy rounds and Bernard ends up getting beaten or robbed.

I think that can happen to Marquez with a Pacquiao fight now. With the way he was flattened out, if Pacquiao’s just—that’s how I felt he won some of those other fights, his high activity, his hair shaking all over the place, him bouncing around and nothing is really happening. The commentators say, “Pacquiao lands again”….no he didn’t, but you look up and Pacquiao’s got a decision. In that sense, I wouldn’t like to see that happen to Marquez.

JENNA J:
Steve Cunningham will be taking on Amir Mansour in April. Do you think this fight is do or die for Steve at heavyweight?

NAAZIM:
I think the pressure is on him. The pressure is on by the powers that be. It’s the sport we’re in and he has to answer it. If you can’t handle pressure then you can’t be in this sport. This sport is about pressure, it breaks some other guys, it molds some other guys into something special. I know Steve is a warrior, he’ll fight anybody.

I like Mansour, I know Mansour personally. As a fighter, I’m real impressed with Mansour, he’s one of those guys that gets it done on the jab, I applaud him on that. He’s well schooled; I know his team, top level team. He’s got a phenomenal team set around him in place, and he can fight. Mansour can sure fight, it’s a great match up.

JENNA J:
What are your final thoughts on Bernard Hopkins fight upcoming fight with Beibut Shumenov?

NAAZIM:
I think he is biting off a little more then he can chew with a crafty veteran like Bernard Hopkins. But he does not really lose anything cause afterwards how much longer can Bernard stay around? Eventually after Bernard collects all these toys, he’s going to throw them down and you can go pick them up. You put that bike down, and you go play with something else or you just keep riding.