Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
hey naner, I just read Yan Barthelemy lost pretty badly to some bum. wtf
Seriously? I knew he was fighting on one of the spanish channels but couldn't find the listing on my shit for it. I always thought he was the weakest link out of the 3 but it sucks to see him lose before being able to make real money off his name and gold medal.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
yeah I wasn't impressed when I saw him last. From what I heard though he had the best amateur record and beat Gamboa 3 times? that's crazy
He came to the pros and tried to be something he's not. He tried to throw with power and came akward and looping most of the time. He's not a power puncher .. he's a boxer. He got away with what he was doing because he was fighting bums most of the time .. apparently no one told this guy.

I could maybe understand cause he's at a much lighter weight class and he probably figured he had to make a serious impression like Gamboa has been making to get noticed.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao: "De La Hoya is Bigger, But I Can Beat Him"

By Mark Vester

Manny Pacquiao, the reigning WBC lightweight champion, knows that potential bout with Oscar De La Hoya is a dangerous one. He says De La Hoya has the size advantage, a strength advantage and a reach advantage, but he still believes that he can beat him if a deal is reached for them to fight on December 6 in Las Vegas.

“The truth is, a lot of people are saying that Oscar, the ‘Golden Boy’ of boxing, really has all the advantages in a fight. He is bigger, taller, heftier and has a longer reach. I have been thinking about fighting him and I think there is quite a good chance of beating him,” Pacquiao wrote in his column on the PhilBoxing website.

Pacquiao is 29-years-old, and says that he needs to make the proper fights to seal his legacy in the sport and that's why he wants a fight with De La Hoya. I'm sure his $20 million dollar purse demand is not going to hurt him either.

“I’m not getting any younger and I want to get the one of the biggest fights out there to cement my legacy in boxing,” Pacquiao said.

As previously posted, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum and Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, are scheduled to meet on Wednesday in an effort to tie up the loose ends and finalize the deal for De La Hoya-Pacquiao. The fight is not sitting well with thousands of boxing fans and reporters, who see the fight as a physical mismatch, and would rather see De La Hoya to face Antonio Margarito.

De La Hoya and his company are trying to sell the Pacquiao bout by telling the media that Oscar has a personal beef with Pacquiao and his trainer Freddie Roach and needs to teach them a lesson by punishing the much smaller Pacquiao in the ring.

"Oscar really wants to do the fight. You know Oscar," Schaefer told boxing writer Dan Rafael "He honestly feels that Freddie and Pacquiao have been disrespectful. It's [expletive] for Freddie to say that Oscar can't pull the trigger anymore. Oscar will show them how he can pull the trigger. Pacquiao is being Freddie Roach's puppet and Oscar wants to teach a lesson to them. Manny is the best fighter in the world, pound for pound, but Manny will see how Oscar pulls the trigger in the ring and Freddie can sit in the corner and watch Oscar hit him. Oscar gave me clear instructions to make the fight with Pacquiao, not to kill the fight."

Jul 24, 2005
Chris Arreola vs. David Tua Held Up By Money Issues

By Mark Vester

The anticipated battle between heavyweight punchers David Tua and Chris Arreola is being held up by the usual reason - money. Cedrick Kushner, promoter for Tua, doesn't feel the offer being presented fully compensates his fighter. Their title eliminator is slated to land in either September or October in Arreola's backyard of California.

Kushner hopes to finalize a deal with Arreola's promoter Dan Goossen in the next few days.

"There's a real determination to get the deal done in the next couple of days," Kushner told writer John Matheson. "Is there a sticking point? Put it this way once the dollars and cents come together the way everyone wants them, the fight will be made. We're not a million miles away at the moment. There's a lot of interest in the fight and we need to be compensated for that."

Kushner says that Tua is very eager to bang away with Arreola. He is waiting for the word that everything is done so he can get started with his training camp.

"I spoke to Dave last night he can't wait to get into camp and start preparing for Arreola," Kushner said. "He's in a great space right now. He's got his eye on the prize. He wants to be the heavyweight champion and this fight will propel him onto that stage again. And thank goodness for that. The heavyweight division needs Dave. The prospect of a former No 1 contender (Tua) and a current top-five guy (Arreola) has a lot of people excited

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
De La Hoya-Pacquiao talks to intensify next week

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Top Rank's Bob Arum will meet in Los Angeles on Wednesday to try to hammer out an agreement for Oscar De La Hoya to meet pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas.

"I am going to meet with him and if we can work out a deal that is acceptable to Bob, Manny and to us, then we will get the fight done," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "Bob and me have a pretty good track record of making big fights. I will sit down with Bob on Wednesday and I think we will know in a half-hour if we have a deal or not."

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), boxing's most popular attraction, says that his Dec. 6 HBO PPV match will be the last bout of his career. With Floyd Mayweather Jr. retired, Felix Trinidad unable to get down low enough in weight and Miguel Cotto being stopped by Antonio Margarito last week, Pacquiao is De La Hoya's most likely opponent.

If the fight happens, Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs), who moved up to lightweight and won a title in his fifth division June 28 when he dominated David Diaz en route to a ninth-round knockout, would move up in weight again to welterweight.

The specific maximum weight for the fight is one of the issues Schaefer and Arum need to work out, although Arum and Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, have both indicated the 147-pound maximum welterweight limit would be acceptable to them.

"There are some issues we need to talk about," Schaefer said. "There are some deal points which need to be discussed, such as the split of the revenues, the weight. I think the gloves, maybe."

Schaefer pointed out that even though De La Hoya is the naturally bigger fighter, the size difference wouldn't be as dramatic as some think.

"When Manny went on HBO's unofficial scale before he fought Diaz, I think he was 147 pounds," Schaefer said. "Oscar never gains much weight from the weigh-in to the fight."

Arum said he met with Pacquiao in Las Vegas on Tuesday evening so they could get on the same page about their expectations for the deal.

"Manny let me know what he wanted and we explored his participation in the fight with De La Hoya," Arum told ESPN.com. "Now, on Wednesday, I'll sit down with Richard and see if we can hammer out a deal."

De La Hoya once signed Pacquiao to Golden Boy Promotions not knowing he had already signed with Top Rank. The situation resulted in a nasty lawsuit between companies that already had a frosty relationship. But since settling the lawsuit last summer, a deal in which Top Rank became Pacquiao's promoter with Golden Boy retaining a small percentage of his contract, the companies have made several significant fights together.

De La Hoya-Pacquiao would be the biggest. It would also reunite Arum with De La Hoya, whom he promoted for most of his career, for his final bout.

Schaefer said De La Hoya wants to fight Pacquiao, in part because of some negative comments Roach, De La Hoya's former trainer, made about him to ESPN.com a couple of weeks ago.

Roach said he wanted Pacquiao to fight De La Hoya because he believed De La Hoya, at 35, was no longer able to "pull the trigger."

"Oscar really wants to do the fight. You know Oscar," Schaefer said. "He honestly feels that Freddie and Pacquiao have been disrespectful. It's [expletive] for Freddie to say that Oscar can't pull the trigger anymore. Oscar will show them how he can pull the trigger. Pacquiao is being Freddie Roach's puppet and Oscar wants to teach a lesson to them.

"Manny is the best fighter in the world, pound for pound, but Manny will see how Oscar pulls the trigger in the ring and Freddie can sit in the corner and watch Oscar hit him.

"When Oscar read Freddie's comments, he was like, 'What the [expletive] is that?' He feels challenged now. (Golden Boy matchmaker and De La Hoya's close friend) Eric (Gomez) told him it's not an easy fight because Pacquiao is so strong and fast and so relentless. What he's done to Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, David Diaz -- Manny doesn't just beat them, he destroys them. The only one who has Pacquiao's number a little bit is Juan Manuel Marquez. Manny and Bob know that, which is why the third fight isn't happening. But a fight with Oscar can happen. Oscar gave me clear instructions to make the fight with Pacquiao, not to kill the fight."

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
ROFL!!!

Watching the interview with Margarito before the Clottey/Judah fight, and Margarito saying he hopes De La Hoya doesn't run from him, because that's the fight he wants, and that Floyd is another fighter afraid to fight him. He called out De La Hoya TWICE. HAHA

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Getting ready for the Clottey/Judah fight. Every time I see Zab fight, I shake my head and think of him in the same light as Mike Tyson. He wasn't as good for as long as Tyson, but a TON of wasted TALENT.

I always hope he can pull his head out of his ass, but I know it'll never happen.

I'll take Clottey in this.