Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
ASHLEY THEOPHANE: "AMIR KHAN...YOU CAN BEAT HIM WITH JUST ONE PUNCH"
By Press Release | September 12, 2012

ASHLEY THEOPHANE is targeting a showdown with Amir Khan.

Both Brits were relieved of their titles in recent months, so Theophane feels a meeting would make perfect sense.

The Londoner is currently in his second week of sparring with WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns and he believes the experience has put him in good stead for a tussle with the Bolton man.

"There's only two fights against other British boxers which interest me and one of them is Amir Khan," Theophane said.

"I've been British champion but that's not a level I'm looking at again because I feel I can get on the world stage.

"The British title will always be there and that's something I can come back to later if I want. Right now I'm looking at the big fights and I'm confident that Hatton Promotions can deliver those for me."

If common opponents are anything to go by, Theophane has a valid case for being confident of beating Amir Khan.

Theophane took current light-welterweight number one Danny Garcia to a close split decision in early 2010, while Khan was stopped by the Philadelphian inside four rounds this summer.

He said: "I'm at my best when I fight the best and I pushed Danny Garcia all the way, Khan couldn't do that.

"Everyone in the division wants to fight Amir Khan because they know his chin isn't great and you can beat him with just one punch."

Theophane added that he'd also be interested in a rematch with Lenny Daws, providing the Morden man wins his proposed vacant EU title meeting with Finland's Ville Piispanen.

Jul 24, 2005
FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR: "I THINK 50 IS GOOD FOR MY SON"
By Percy Crawford | September 12, 2012

"50 Cent is cool, man; he's cool. He is a down-home person, man," stated world-class trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr., who shared his thoughts on 50 Cent's desire to become a boxing promoter. Both 50 Cent and Floyd Mayweather recently joined forces to form The Money Team [TMT] Promotions. In the past, Mayweather Sr. has been very critical about some of the company that Floyd has kept around him, but in the case of 50 Cent, he thinks his presence will be good for his son.

"He ain't nothing like a lot of them rappers that I see bragging about money and all that shit. 50 ain't like that, man, and he got a whole bunch of that shit too. 50 got a whole bunch of money, but he ain't the bragging type," Mayweather Sr. explained. "To tell you the truth man, I think 50 is a down to earth person, man; he really is. To tell you the truth, I think 50 is good for my son though.

Jul 24, 2005
it looks like mike tyson was right

50 Cent's TMT Promotions Appears to Be Dead, Dib Now With Mayweather

206480_10150226708710923_747385922_9037192_4017321_n_tiny by Scott Christ on Sep 12, 2012 5:15 PM EDT in Boxing News Analysis

8 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson said he was going to take over boxing. It doesn't appear as though he'll ever run a show. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Getty Images)

Jeff Bottari - Getty Images

Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson said he was going to take over boxing. It doesn't appear as though he'll ever run a show. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Getty Images)

So much for 50 Cent and TMT Promotions -- or so it appears.

RingTV.com reports that Billy Dib, one of the fighters signed by 50's upstart boxing promotional outfit, has had his contract moved to Mayweather Promotions, and that a source has said the rapper-"actor"-business guy is out of the sport already, having never put on a single show.

Sekou Gary, an attorney who has represented Jackson, contacted Dib's legal representatives to notify the Australian boxer that his TMT Promotions contract has been assigned to Mayweather Promotions and that "50 Cent is no longer involved in boxing."

Dib was signed to TMT, along with Yuriorkis Gamboa, Andre Dirrell, and Celestino Caballero, reportedly. There's no word as to whether or not those guys will also be moved to Mayweather Promotions, which it seems may finally become an actual outfit more than a vanity project and way to make extra money.

Star-divide

Rumors recently have been flying that Mayweather and 50 Cent were at serious odds both personally and professionally. Floyd was seen in Las Vegas last week at the Matthysse vs Ajose show at the Hard Rock, supporting Mayweather Promotions fighters, including J'Leon Love.

TMT's official web site is already down.

What a run it was, huh? I thought it could have worked, but I knew two things for sure:

He needed Floyd.
He needed serious help from someone who knew the business.

Apparently, he had neither. Looks like Oscar was right. It ain't easy.

Props: IronLungs420
Jun 8, 2011
I was wondering can i get any help from you guys.
So im looking forward to Canelo knocking Lopez out and i have Dish network but my i looked on their schedule for ppvs and they do not have Canelos fight only Chavez. Is anybosy else having this issue? please help me out. Im gonna record and save canelos fight while we watch Chavez fight online.

Jan 12, 2006
I was wondering can i get any help from you guys.
So im looking forward to Canelo knocking Lopez out and i have Dish network but my i looked on their schedule for ppvs and they do not have Canelos fight only Chavez. Is anybosy else having this issue? please help me out. Im gonna record and save canelos fight while we watch Chavez fight online.
it's going to air on showtime for free

Jul 24, 2005
Timothy Bradley on Pacquiao vs Marquez IV: 'Chicken' Manny Didn't Want Rematch

206480_10150226708710923_747385922_9037192_4017321_n_tiny by Scott Christ on Sep 12, 2012 11:52 PM EDT in Boxing News Analysis

15 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Timothy Bradley won't get a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, and says that his rival is scared to face him again. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Kevork Djansezian - Getty Images

Timothy Bradley won't get a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, and says that his rival is scared to face him again. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Timothy Bradley isn't pleased with Manny Pacquiao's decision to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time on December 8, as it means Bradley will miss out on a rematch payday and chance to beat Pacquiao for a second time -- many would say first.

Bradley told The Desert Sun that he "can't believe" Pacquiao chose to pass him over to face Marquez again:

"I can't believe these guys. He didn't want any part of me. Marquez is an easier fight. He knows that a fight with me and two good legs is going to be hell. I can't believe it. Any champion who lost his belt, you would want to redeem yourself."

... "What the public needs to know is Pacquiao, their No. 1 dude, doesn't care about his loss. You need to redeem yourself because Tim Bradley beat you. You need to come back and redeem that loss. In my eyes, chicken shit, chicken, chicken, chicken. I'm too much for these boys, man."

Bradley's insistence that Pacquiao is scared of the rematch is nothing new, as he's been pushing that for weeks at this point. Honestly, I think Bradley has probably been at least partially sure for a while that Pacquiao wasn't going to be looking his way again in 2012, and that his controversial June win over the Filipino icon wasn't going to lead to the rematch that was initially expected.

Star-divide

I do feel bad for Timothy Bradley in that he basically was at the mercy of whatever Pacquiao chose, and couldn't reasonably go out and make a different fight without Manny turning him down officially. It was too big, too much money. Nothing else Tim Bradley can do right now comes close to the scale of a Pacquiao rematch.

Dan Rafael reports that Top Rank wants to bring Bradley back on HBO in November or December. There had been talk of Bradley vs Marquez, but that's not happening, obviously. There had also been talk of Bradley facing Lamont Peterson in a rematch, but Peterson is now negotiating a fight with Zab Judah, which has been ordered by the sanctioning body that let him keep their title despite a failed drug test.

So what can Bradley do? There isn't much at welterweight for him when you eliminate Golden Boy fighters, and there isn't much to come up from 140, either. Honestly, he's kind of screwed here as far as finding a good opponent goes.

Bob Arum would like to have Bradley fight in New York, but Bradley wants to fight in Southern California, so he can be "close to his fans."

Mar 27, 2006
"....He didn't want any part of me. Marquez is an easier fight. He knows that a fight with me and two good legs is going to be hell." LMAO He can't be serious. Hopefully Marquez can sway the judges this time. Based on the last fights though, I'm not expecting it.

Feb 8, 2006
Manny dont want none, i knew him and the bob father were gonna pick marqez. safer fight imo. This will do nothing but fuel the fire and make him a better fighter. What paper belt will top rank make up for the marquez and pacman fight lol

Last edited:
Props: bigface
Feb 3, 2006
Manny ducking Bradley. lol. Too funny fighting a 39yr old man for the 4th time to do what Mayweather did in one fight which is beat Marquez clearly. Manny has been a ducking overhype joke since Mayweather asked for random testing in 2009.

Props: trips
Jul 24, 2005
50 Cent and Manny Pacquiao Forming Joint Promotional Company
by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, September 13th, 2012

We reported about some friction between 50 Cent and his BFF Floyd Mayweather. Depending on who you believe it was over Mayweather’s fiancee Shantel Jackson or as I believe the direction of 50 Cent boxing promotional company TMT Promotions.

In a curious move, 50 Cent appears ready to move on from Floyd and do business with his chief rival Manny Pacquiao.

Only in boxing.

Manny Pacquiao, and rapper 50 Cent, are going to move forward with a joint promotional venture – according to Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz.

Koncz says that Pacquiao and 50 Cent are going to come together to form their own promotional company, and Mayweather was initially discussed as a partner – but he doesn’t appear to be involved.

“50 Cent and I have been talking now for maybe the last two months. They approached us with the idea to form a promotional company. Initially it was going to be 50 Cent, Manny and Floyd. But right now I don’t think Floyd is going to be a part of it. I explained the idea to Manny. We already have a promotional company, MP Promotions, and we have already done three separate promotions from Top Rank…on a small scale. I have to take the blame for that. I’m in charge of it. There is an element missing there, but I have so much to do with Manny – that I haven’t got that company to where I want it,” Koncz said.

“I think with 50 Cent, with his entertainment connections and his popularity there, combining that with Manny’s popularity and expertise in boxing – we can bring a new flavor to boxing – we can excite some young boxers and I think we can sign some top quality boxers. I spoke to 50 Cent tonight and confirmed that we’re going to go forward. Manny is coming here this weekend for other business, but we’re all excited about it. With 50′s influence in the music industry – we want to put a different flavor on the shows.”.

It appears when 50 Cent was talking about not waiting on Floyd to make up his mind about things, this is what he was referring to.

A company of Floyd, 50 Cent and Manny would have shaken up Boxing in a positive way. The fact that 50 Cent is willing to go forward without Floyd as a partner says a lot about their friendship. In the end 50 Cent is a business man and it appears he is doing what is best for 50 Cent and no one else.

He is doing something that Floyd never could, get Manny Pacquiao to sign a contract.

Jul 24, 2005
50 Cent and Manny Pacquiao Forming Joint Promotional Company
by Robert Littal | Posted on Thursday, September 13th, 2012

We reported about some friction between 50 Cent and his BFF Floyd Mayweather. Depending on who you believe it was over Mayweather’s fiancee Shantel Jackson or as I believe the direction of 50 Cent boxing promotional company TMT Promotions.

In a curious move, 50 Cent appears ready to move on from Floyd and do business with his chief rival Manny Pacquiao.

Only in boxing.

Manny Pacquiao, and rapper 50 Cent, are going to move forward with a joint promotional venture – according to Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz.

Koncz says that Pacquiao and 50 Cent are going to come together to form their own promotional company, and Mayweather was initially discussed as a partner – but he doesn’t appear to be involved.

“50 Cent and I have been talking now for maybe the last two months. They approached us with the idea to form a promotional company. Initially it was going to be 50 Cent, Manny and Floyd. But right now I don’t think Floyd is going to be a part of it. I explained the idea to Manny. We already have a promotional company, MP Promotions, and we have already done three separate promotions from Top Rank…on a small scale. I have to take the blame for that. I’m in charge of it. There is an element missing there, but I have so much to do with Manny – that I haven’t got that company to where I want it,” Koncz said.

“I think with 50 Cent, with his entertainment connections and his popularity there, combining that with Manny’s popularity and expertise in boxing – we can bring a new flavor to boxing – we can excite some young boxers and I think we can sign some top quality boxers. I spoke to 50 Cent tonight and confirmed that we’re going to go forward. Manny is coming here this weekend for other business, but we’re all excited about it. With 50′s influence in the music industry – we want to put a different flavor on the shows.”.

It appears when 50 Cent was talking about not waiting on Floyd to make up his mind about things, this is what he was referring to.

A company of Floyd, 50 Cent and Manny would have shaken up Boxing in a positive way. The fact that 50 Cent is willing to go forward without Floyd as a partner says a lot about their friendship. In the end 50 Cent is a business man and it appears he is doing what is best for 50 Cent and no one else.

He is doing something that Floyd never could, get Manny Pacquiao to sign a contract.

Jul 24, 2005
By Rick Reeno

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is receiving $2,000,000 for this Saturday's defense against Josesito Lopez, who snags $212,500. The Showtime televised quadrupleheader will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez is listed as receiving $40,000 [almost positive that a much lower amount is being reported for tax purposes], while challenger Daniel Ponce De Leon grabs $100,000.

Marcos Maidana is receiving $250,000, with Jesus Soto Karass grabbing $80,000.

And IBF bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz is going to receive $85,000, while challenger Eric Morel will get $35,000.
Andres Gutierrez is getting paid $15,000, and Carlos Valcarcel will get $10,000.

Jul 24, 2005
By Rick Reeno

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is receiving $2,000,000 for this Saturday's defense against Josesito Lopez, who snags $212,500. The Showtime televised quadrupleheader will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez is listed as receiving $40,000 [almost positive that a much lower amount is being reported for tax purposes], while challenger Daniel Ponce De Leon grabs $100,000.

Marcos Maidana is receiving $250,000, with Jesus Soto Karass grabbing $80,000.

And IBF bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz is going to receive $85,000, while challenger Eric Morel will get $35,000.
Andres Gutierrez is getting paid $15,000, and Carlos Valcarcel will get $10,000.

Feb 3, 2006
The Manny fans just needs to realize that Manny don't want to fight Mayweather. Manny will fight Marquez, then he will fight Bradley, Hatton, or Jessie Vargas next. Since 2009 after Cotto I have being calling all of Manny fights bullshit. Manny the 147lb champion for 3 years and never fought another 147lb champion. This fight is pointless and Bradley got your belt. History will not be kind to Manny resume.

FYI, what weight is this fight going to be fought at.?? Another catchweight fight.

Last edited:
Props: Tony

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
He should rematch Bradley so he could win his belts back.. beating Marquez (again) at this point in his career is pointless. I think the numbers would do better this time around since it's a rematch and Pacquiao would be avenging his loss.

Props: trips