Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Floyd Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions: Will They Stay or Will They Go?

206480_10150226708710923_747385922_9037192_4017321_n_tiny by Scott Christ on Aug 31, 2012 5:07 PM EDT in Boxing News Analysis

0 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Will Floyd Mayweather and Richard Schaefer stay in business together with TMT Promotions coming along? (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Ethan Miller - Getty Images

Will Floyd Mayweather and Richard Schaefer stay in business together with TMT Promotions coming along? (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Despite the coming days of TMT Promotions, the 50 Cent and Floyd Mayweather promotional outfit, Richard Schaefer says he believes that Golden Boy Promotions will stay in business with Mayweather for his fights, despite the fact that 50 Cent has said that won't be the case.

"Floyd is a friend of mine. We’re very good friends. He’s a terrific guy. We get along very well. So I’m not really worried by what 50 Cent is doing. I’m just going to leave it at that. Floyd and me have a recipe for success and in the process he has made more money than any fighter ever. ... We work very well together and our teams work well together as well. So I think the future for Floyd and us is terrific and I am excited and looking forward to continue working with him."

Mayweather returned home after a brief jail stint earlier this month, and last fought on May 5, when he beat Miguel Cotto in a big-time pay-per-view attraction.

Star-divide

I really have no idea where this might go. Golden Boy and Mayweather have been working together since 2007. Floyd can legitimately say that he's his own promoter, that he does what he wants, that he makes all this money, because these things are technically true. But it's been Golden Boy doing the legwork, not the surely defunct "Mayweather Promotions." Golden Boy has booked the buildings, dealt with the commission, filled the undercards, and done all the normal promotional work. Mayweather collects his money because he's the reason people show up and he's the reason people buy the PPV. I don't blame him. I think he's a fuckin' genius in this regard. He stood his ground and got what he wanted out of the boxing business.

But TMT is unproven, and they don't yet have a Nevada license either. I'm certain they'll get one. New York gave them a promoter's license, and NY is known as a tougher, more skeptical commission than Nevada. TMT will get licensed where they want to be licensed, and right now, there's no reason to deny them anything either.

Will Floyd still work with GBP? Maybe in the short-term. I have to believe they're still better-equipped to promote a mega-event than TMT will be for a while. These guys haven't even gotten their feet wet yet. Maybe let them dip their toes into the pool and wade into the shallow end before you have them cannonballing off the high dive.

But if Floyd is confident that the TMT crew can handle a large-scale event, would he give GBP money that could instead go to himself, 50, and the TMT crew? My feeling is he would not. Mayweather's about money first. If he can make more of it, and be confident in that process, I can't see him cutting Schaefer and Co. any more checks.

I expect it will be spring 2013 when we find out, though. Floyd will have time to look everything over and make the right move when the time comes. It might be Golden Boy. And it might not.

Jul 24, 2005
Miguel Cotto vs Austin Trout: Fight Is Official For December 1 at Madison Square Garden

206480_10150226708710923_747385922_9037192_4017321_n_tiny by Scott Christ on Aug 31, 2012 7:58 PM EDT in Boxing News Analysis

4 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Miguel Cotto has announced that he will face Austin Trout on December 1 at Madison Square Garden. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

Al Bello - Getty Images

Miguel Cotto has announced that he will face Austin Trout on December 1 at Madison Square Garden. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

Miguel Cotto will look to regain a junior middleweight title in his next fight on December 1, as he'll be facing unbeaten WBA "regular" titlist Austin Trout at Madison Square Garden.

Cotto (37-3, 30 KO) is coming off of a May 5 loss to Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas, but realistically I think it only raised interest in Cotto's continuing career, as he gave a good performance against the best boxer on the planet.

Cotto could have chosen an easier opponent than this. Instead, he's taking on one of the better young fighters in his division. And to the surprise of only a few, this means you can officially scratch off Cotto as a potential Pacquiao opponent for this fall.

Star-divide

008_austin_trout_vs_delvin_rodriguez_medium
(Photo by Esther Lin/Showtime)

Trout (25-0, 14 KO) is a risky opponent for Cotto, a tricky boxer who doesn't always put in the most pleasing performances, but can't be overlooked here. When you really look at Trout here, and don't just focus on his less-than-thrilling outing against Delvin Rodriguez in June, you're going to see a guy who is 26 years old, a southpaw who can box, and is a legit junior middleweight in terms of size. He's going to have notable height and reach advantages here.

For Austin Trout, needless to say, this is the opportunity to make his name in the sport of boxing. For Miguel Cotto, it's showing some big balls taking on a tough opponent when he didn't really have to do so. Trout didn't get Canelo Alvarez on September 15, but he's closing 2012 on December 1 against the man who is still probably the biggest fish in the 154-pound division.

One would think the fight will be on HBO, but don't count out Showtime here. With Cotto working with Golden Boy on this event, they'll be in the running unless they just can't afford it.

Jan 18, 2006
Trout seems to be kinda big for 154 but i see a lot of holes in his defense, he has decent hand speed but i dont think he can deal with pressure fighters and his resume isn't that good, hasnt really been tested imo. I believe Cotto will break him down, to much experience.

Jul 24, 2005
BAILEY SUFFERS BACK INJURY; PULLS OUT OF TITLE DEFENSE AGAINST ALEXANDER
By Ben Thompson | August 31, 2012

According to reports, IBF welterweight champion Randall Bailey has suffered a back injury that has forced him to pull out of his scheduled September 8th title defense against top welterweight contender Devon Alexander. While the Bailey vs. Alexander clash will be rescheduled to a later date, the rest of the September 8th card will move on as scheduled.

The jr. welterweight clash between Lucas Matthysse and Ajose Olusegun will now be elevated to main event status. No word yet on whether or not another bout will be televised in the co-main slot, however, bouts featuring Ishe Smith and J'Leon Love were set to be televised on Sho Extreme

Jul 24, 2005
Golden Boy wants Saul Alvarez vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December
September 2nd, 2012

By Allan Fox: Golden Boy Promotions reportedly wants to set up a fight between their fighter WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KO’s) and unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KO’s) in December, according to boxing.com news source.

Golden Boy is hoping they can make this fight, but they could have a big problem due to one of their fighters WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero badly wanting the first crack at Mayweather.

It’s no secret that the 29-year-old Guerrero is desperate for a Mayweather fight, and has been talking about wanting that much up for ages. Guerrero even put his successful at risk by moving up two entire weight divisions to fight and defeat #1 WBC Selcuk Aydin last month so it would put him in a better position to get a fight against Mayweather. If there’s going to be a Golden Boy fighter that gets the first stab at Mayweather, Guerrero wants to be that guy.

Here’s my take on this. I don’t see either Guerrero or Alvarez getting the Mayweather Jr. fight in December no matter how hard they work to get it. Mayweather was recently released from a Las Vegas jail, and he’s likely not going to fight until 2013. If he does fight, he’s not going to take a risky bout against Alvarez next. That’s not going to happen. And Guerrero vs. Mayweather isn’t a fight that Mayweather will choose because the bout wouldn’t make a lot of money on pay per view due to Guerrero’s lack of a fan base.

Mayweather would be pulling in most of the fans for a PPV bout like that, and he wouldn’t be able to drum enough excitement to make it a huge payday for him. Guerrero looked horrible against Adyin, and that performance didn’t help him one bit. Golden Boy needs to build up both Guerrero and Alvarez if they want to see one of them get a fight against Mayweather, because he’s not going to choose either of these guys to fight until they become huge PPV stars on their own.

Jul 24, 2005
Golden Boy wants Saul Alvarez vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. in December
September 2nd, 2012

By Allan Fox: Golden Boy Promotions reportedly wants to set up a fight between their fighter WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KO’s) and unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KO’s) in December, according to boxing.com news source.

Golden Boy is hoping they can make this fight, but they could have a big problem due to one of their fighters WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero badly wanting the first crack at Mayweather.

It’s no secret that the 29-year-old Guerrero is desperate for a Mayweather fight, and has been talking about wanting that much up for ages. Guerrero even put his successful at risk by moving up two entire weight divisions to fight and defeat #1 WBC Selcuk Aydin last month so it would put him in a better position to get a fight against Mayweather. If there’s going to be a Golden Boy fighter that gets the first stab at Mayweather, Guerrero wants to be that guy.

Here’s my take on this. I don’t see either Guerrero or Alvarez getting the Mayweather Jr. fight in December no matter how hard they work to get it. Mayweather was recently released from a Las Vegas jail, and he’s likely not going to fight until 2013. If he does fight, he’s not going to take a risky bout against Alvarez next. That’s not going to happen. And Guerrero vs. Mayweather isn’t a fight that Mayweather will choose because the bout wouldn’t make a lot of money on pay per view due to Guerrero’s lack of a fan base.

Mayweather would be pulling in most of the fans for a PPV bout like that, and he wouldn’t be able to drum enough excitement to make it a huge payday for him. Guerrero looked horrible against Adyin, and that performance didn’t help him one bit. Golden Boy needs to build up both Guerrero and Alvarez if they want to see one of them get a fight against Mayweather, because he’s not going to choose either of these guys to fight until they become huge PPV stars on their own.

Feb 3, 2006
Team Alexander: Bailey Was Getting High, Tricking Too!

By Ryan Burton

BoxingScene.com recently spoke to Devin Alexander's manager and trainer Kevin Cunningham. Alexander was in the final stages of his training camp for his September 8th showdown against IBF welterweight champion Randall Bailey when they learned that the fight would be postponed to late October date.

Bailey reportedly injured his back while training but Cunningham isn't buying his excuse. He said that Bailey wasn't ready for the fight and used the injury as an excuse so he would have more time to prepare for the fight.

"If Bailey wasn't hanging in the 'hood getting high with his homies and tricking off with strippers he would have been ready to fight on September 8th but that's okay. We will stay focused on the task and once Devon gets him in ring, he's going to treat Randall like the piece of sh*t that he is," Cunningham stated.

As reported by BoxingScene's Rick Reeno, Bailey-Alexander will either be moved to Golden Boy's Barclays Center date in Brooklyn on October 20th or to their October 27th date in Anaheim. Both dates are triplerheader events. The addition of Bailey-Alexander will make either show a quadrupleheader - and both dates are being televised by Showtime.

Lol.. Cunningham is wild..

Jul 24, 2005
Austin Trout: “Cotto is a future Hall of Famer, but this is my time now”
Published September 2, 2012 | By eastside | 27 Comments

By Joseph Herron: It’s Official! On December 1st, three division world champion and future Hall of Famer Miguel Angel Cotto (37-3, 30 KOs) will take on current WBA Junior Middleweight Champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout (25-0, 14 KOs) at the world renowned Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY.

When most boxing insiders didn’t believe Austin would ever get the opportunity to showcase his skills on the biggest stage of boxing, the Las Cruces, New Mexico resident always had faith that his time would eventually come.

“I’ve definitely paid my dues,” claims the 26 year old southpaw fighter. “But I really have to thank Al Haymon for this big fight. He told me that he was working on something big, and he really delivered.”

The big 154 pound title fight will easily be Austin’s toughest test to date. Not only will the young chameleon be facing a three division warrior who can box and punch proficiently, but the reigning title holder will also be fighting in the hostile confines of Cotto’s venue of choice; Madison Square Garden.

Austin believes the pro-Cotto crowd won’t be a problem.

“I originally won the title in hostile territory by defeating Canelo’s big brother in Guadalajara, Mexico. I not only beat him, but I pitched a shut-out. I’m used to fighting in front of another fighter’s fans. It only makes my accomplishments that much more impressive.”

So far, Trout has been perfect in the ring. The skilled ring technician has only lost a handful of rounds in 25 professional bouts. Although the slick southpaw fighter has never faced an opponent with Miguel Cotto’s winning pedigree, Austin has “no doubt” that he will be victorious once again in December.

“I know Cotto is a great fighter and a future, first ballot Hall of Famer, but this is my time in boxing,” insists Austin “No Doubt” Trout. “He’s had his time. He was a great champion but this is not going to be another championship winning effort for Miguel.”

Although the young title holder ultimately believes he will be victorious on December 1st, Austin expects to see the best version of Miguel Cotto in New York City.

“Miguel is a true professional and I know he will bring the best he has to offer, but his best simply won’t be good enough against a fighter like me. I’ll be ready for whatever strategy he chooses to implement on December 1st. If decides to be aggressive, I’ll use his aggression against him. If he decides to box, I’ll use my reach, height, and speed to pick him apart from the outside.”

“I am a versatile fighter and can adapt to whatever my opponents show me on fight night. Those who don’t realize what a complete fighter I am will recognize my skills after December 1st. This is going to be somewhat of a ‘passing of the torch’ type of event. I am going to show the boxing world that I deserve to be considered among the pound for pound elite.”

The hungry young champion has waited patiently for his moment in the sun to finally arrive. Now that his date with destiny has ultimately been set, Austin “No Doubt” Trout would like to thank his die-hard fans that have been in his corner since turning pro in 2005.

“On the eve of my biggest fight to date, I want to thank all of my friends and supporters for sticking by me through this long and wonderful journey; everyone who has sat back and listened to all of the naysayers and the critics deny me the credit and respect I deserve.”

“Well everyone can hold their heads up with pride and let the world know that it’s our time now…it’s our time now.

Jul 24, 2005
Khan: I haven’t even reached my peak yet
September 3rd, 2012

By William Mackay: Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) thinks he hasn’t reached the prime of is career despite having lost two out of his last three fights. Khan sees himself as still on the upward career trajectory. Is that possible?

Khan said to the Dailystar.co.uk “I’m not even at my peak yet.”

A lot of boxing fans feel that Khan’s peak of his career was when he defeated Zab Judah last year in July. Since then, that peak has disappeared with Khan losing his last two fights and looking both fragile-chinned and flustered. If Khan hasn’t reached his peak then he’s going to have show some dramatic improvement over his performances in losses to Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia, as well as his shaky performance against Marcos Maidana.

Khan is in the process of looking for a new trainer, he says. He hasn’t dumped his current trainer Freddie Roach yet, but it’s not looking good for Roach. Khan will have to find the perfect trainer if he’s to take his career forward once again, and it may not be possible to find anyone on this earth that can fix Khan’s physical flaws.

His chin is going to be a problem no matter who trains him. But besides his chin, Khan needs to learn a whole lot about fighting and he needs more discipline to follow the game plans that are given to him. Khan needs to forget all about trying to be an exciting fighter, because his chin is too fragile for him to get into wars with his opponents. For Khan to have an even slight chance of resurrecting his career, he’ll have to become a boring safety first type of fighter that rarely if ever takes chances against his opponents.

If Khan, #5 WBA, can fight like IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitshko and never take chances, Khan perhaps can succeed long enough to get a big money fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Khan probably isn’t going to be able to beat the good fighters at light welterweight no matter how careful he fights. His chin will get tested even if he runs.
Related:

Jul 24, 2005
Loyd mayweather sr. To work with andre dirrell

FLOYD MAYWEATHER SR. TO WORK WITH ANDRE DIRRELL
By Percy Crawford | September 06, 2012

According to world-class trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr., he will soon be training super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell. "That's supposed to be true. I haven't really started with him yet, but as far as I know," Mayweather Sr. commented when asked if it was true that he had been contacted about the possibility of working with Dirrell, who recently signed with 50 Cent's newly formed TMT Promotions.

"Him and 50 Cent came up to the gym one day and 50 Cent said, 'I hope you please say yes, man, but I want you to train Andre Dirrell for me,'" Mayweather Sr. recalled. "I told him, 'No problem I will work with him.'" Although it's unclear as to exactly when Dirrell will be returning to the ring, rumor has it that TMT Promotions is hoping to stage their first event on November 17, with Dirrell and Yuriorkis Gamboa headlining.

Jul 24, 2005
Bernard hopkins eyes end of the year ring return

BERNARD HOPKINS EYES END OF THE YEAR RING RETURN
By Ben Thompson | September 06, 2012

"End of the yr," Bernard Hopkins would post on his official Twitter page when asked when he plans on making a return to the ring. The former light heavyweight king last fought in April, losing a majority decision to current WBC champion Chad Dawson. Though two of the judges scored the bout 117-111 in favor of Dawson, one judge scored the bout even at 114-114, which is exactly how Hopkins saw the bout. "I thought it was closer than what the other judges had," the future Hall of Famer commented during the post-fight press conference. "To be honest with you, I thought the fight, worst case scenario, would've been a draw."

Regardless of the scorecards, it was a performance that the 47-year-old should not be ashamed considering that he was fighting a man nearly 20 years younger. At no time was Hopkins ever in serious trouble during the bout, and often times, he pressed the action against what should have been the hungrier and more energetic Dawson. It is likely that very reason why Hopkins, just 2 years and 4 months away from turning 50 years old, has no intention of hanging up his gloves just yet.

"If it's something that moves me to prove, then I will try my best and work hard to prove it, and so if you, I guess, think that tonight is the night that my swan song would be sung, no, because I believe there's a lot of people out there that won't fight me," Hopkins continued during the post-fight press conference. "There's a lot of times I could have left. The Tarver fight. The Pascal fight. The Kelly Pavlik fight. The fight tonight. But to make a decision after the fact, I don't feel like I embarrassed myself," he added. "I don't feel like I really looked old tonight. You seen a 47-year-old fight his ass off with a young, strong, worthy champion. We'll see what it is. Right now, I feel good."

The question is, who's next for Hopkins as he looks to add one more execution to his legendary resume?

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
So I guess Amir Khan turned down Joan Guzman. Guzman will likely now fight undefeated Russian Khabib Allakhverdi either in Russia or Florida depending on who wins the purse bid for the Vacant WBA 140 pound title.

oan "Little Tyson" Guzman 33-0-1 (20 KO's) was recently awarded the right to obtain the WBA super lightweight world title. Promoter Henry Rivalta had begun negotiations with Vlad Hyrunov, the manager representative of the undefeated Russian Khabib Allakhverdiev 17-0-0 (8 KO's), to face each other for the vacant WBA world title that Argentinian Marcos René Maidana vacated. As indicated by Guzman's camp, conversations are very positive to stage the fight before the end of 2012.​