Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Julio Sr. sees Chavez Jr-Martinez on September 15th
March 25th, 2012

By Jason Kim: According to the record.com.mx, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. believes his son WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 31 KO’s) will be ready to finally face Sergio Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KO’s) on September 15th in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Chavez Jr. says that Chavez Jr. will take another optional title defense on June 16th in El Paso, Texas, against a still to be determined opponent. After that fight, then Martinez will come next.

Chavez Sr. doesn’t see any point in there being Olympic style drug testing for performance enhancing for a Chavez-Martinez bout despite Martinez wanting the testing. Chavez told the Record that testing like that should be done in the Olympics, not in professional boxing. It remains to be seen if Martinez will be satisfied with no testing for performance enhancing drugs because he seems to REALLY want them for the Chavez Jr. for some reason.

Chavez Jr. has been able to make 160 for his fights but has been rehydrating up to 180lbs on the night of his fights, giving him a pretty big weight advantage. How Martinez will be able to deal with that weight advantage is the big question. He doesn’t come in much more than 160 and fighting someone 15 pounds heavier could be a step too far for Martinez. He’s never fought anyone that heavy and it could be like he’s facing a cruiserweight, albeit one without true cruiserweight power. Chavez Jr. isn’t a huge puncher and tends to win by landing a mass accumulation of shots.

I don’t buy it for a second that Chavez Jr. will be allowed to fight Martinez. He might want to and his father might want him to as well, but I can’t see his promoter Bob Arum letting his money fighter get sacrificed against Martinez. It will be too easy for Martinez because he’s too fast and too strong for Chavez Jr.

Jul 24, 2005
Erik Morales: Where Does He Rank Amongst The Greatest Mexican Fighters Of All-Time?

By James Slater: Modern day legend Erik Morales is still deciding whether or not he will fight again after his upset, 12-round points loss to the much younger Danny Garcia. “El Terrible,” aged 35 and having made a success of his latest comeback (which followed a two-and-a-half year break following his oh-so-close points loss to David Diaz down at 135-pounds), should go out now in the opinion of most.

Still, Morales, even if he does fight no more, has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, the Tijuana legend has to rank amongst the greatest-ever Mexican fighters. But where does the four-weight king deserve to be placed?

Assuming he will never fight again (for even if he did, Morales would surely be capable of pulling no further miracles!), Morales’ many achievements have earned him a very high ranking in any list of the finest fighters to ever have come from his homeland.

Here are my picks for the five best-ever from Mexico!

In reverse order:

5. Marco Antonio Barrera. World titles held at super-bantamweight, featherweight, super-featherweight. Record:63-5(42) Notable fighters defeated: Kennedy McKinney, Erik Morales, Naseem Hamed, Johnny Tapia, Kevin Kelley, Paulie Ayala. (note, Marco is technically still active; should he fight again and win a big fight his ranking may change)

4. Salvador Sanchez. World title held at featherweight. Record:44-1-1(32) Notable fighters defeated: Danny Lopez, Ruben Castillo, Juan LaPorte, Wilfredo Gomez, Azumah Nelson. (note, but for his untimely death aged just twenty-three, Sanchez may well have gone on to become Mexico’s greatest ever fighter)

3. Ricardo Lopez. World titles held at minimum-weight, light-flyweight. Record:51-0-1(38) Notable fighters defeated: Rocky Lin, Saman Sorjaturong, Manny Melchor, Rosando Alvarez, Will Grigsby, Ratanopol Sor Vorapin.

2. Erik Morales. World titles held at super-bantamweight, featherweight, super-featherweight, light-welterweight. Record:52-8(36) Notable fighters defeated: Daniel Zaragoza, Junior Jones, Wayne McCullough, Marco Antonio Barrera, Kevin Kelley, In-Jin Chi, Paulie Ayala, Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez, Manny Pacquiao (the last man to have beaten Pac-Man!)

1. Julio Cesar Chavez. World titles held at super-featherweight, lightweight, junior-welterweight. Record:107-6-2(86) Notable fighters defeated: Mario Martinez, Ruben Castillo, Roger Mayweather, Rocky Lockridge, Juan LaPorte, Edwin Rosario, Jose Luis Ramirez, Meldrick Taylor, Hector Camacho, Frankie Randall, Tony Lopez.

Honourable mention: Ruben Olivares, Miguel Canto, Carlos Zarate, Vicente Salvador, Juan Manuel Marquez (still active), Oscar De La Hoya.

Jul 24, 2005
Mikkel Kessler vs. Allan Green for WBC light heavyweight Silver title on May 19th in Denmark

Three-time super-middleweight world champion Mikkel Kessler (44-2, 33 KOs) will be moving up in weight on May 19 when he clashes with fellow Super Six World Boxing Classic contestant & power puncher Allan Green (31-3, 21 KOs) on May 19.

The battle at Copenhagen´s PARKEN Stadium will be contested at light heavyweight, with the WBC World Championship (Silver) at stake. The winner will be in line to face WBC Light Heavyweight Champion Bernard Hopkins, who takes on Chad Dawson in Atlantic City on April 28. “We want Mikkel to cement his place in boxing history along the all-time greats by wining world titles in two weight classes,” promoter Kalle Sauerland said. “It is not going to be easy to face bigger and stronger opposition at a higher weight but the Viking Warrior has never turned down a challenge. We are thrilled to provide him with a new, a gigantic one. Before even thinking about Hopkins or Dawson, he needs to take out Allan Green, which is a high-risk fight.”

Kessler and Green were supposed to meet in the third round of the Super Six tournament two years ago. Back then, Kessler’s eye injury prevented the bout from happening. “There is some unfinished business both men want to take care of,” Sauerland added. “I am confident Mikkel will win. Green is a natural light heavyweight with huge punching power. His KO ratio is impressive. But with his legions of fans behind him, Mikkel will make his country proud and defeat Green.”

The Viking Warrior knows that the 32-year-old from Tulsa, Oklahoma is a very dangerous opponent, especially for his first-ever fight at light heavyweight. “This is going to be a huge challenge for me,” he said. “Moving up to light heavyweight is risky, as is taking on a power-hitter like Green at a higher weight class. But I am ready. I want to make the big fights. Green is tough and strong and has a lot of power. But I will outbox and overpower him.”

The Viking Warrior was originally scheduled to face WBO Super-Middleweight Champion Robert Stieglitz. However, a hand injury prevented the bout from happening. “My finger is fine now, it just needed more time to be fully recovered,” he said. “I am ready to rumble again.”

Green, an accomplished US amateur (2002 National Golden Gloves Championships Gold Medallist at 178 pounds), is famed and feared for his punching power. In 2002 he broke Mike Tyson´s record for the fastest KO in an amateur fight (8 seconds). As a professional, 21 of his 31 victories came by the way of KO, with almost half of them inside the first three rounds. He won the 2005 Ring Magazine KO of the Year when he destroyed Jaidon Codrington in just 18 seconds.

In early 2010, he replaced Jermain Taylor in the Super Six tournament. From the beginning, he had big trouble to make weight, having to lose 27 pounds before the points loss to WBA Super-Middleweight Champion Andre Ward. After the tournament, he has returned to his natural weight class in style, winning two straight, including a clear points victory over former world title challenger Sebastian Demers. Now he looks forward to conquering Denmark. “It´s great to be fighting in Copenhagen,” he stated. “I think Kessler is a very good fighter. Very tough and very talented. He has been world champion for a long time. But I am faster, I am stronger and I feel I have a lot more skills. He might have fought better opposition, I give him that, but I am the much better athlete.”

Green believes that meeting at light heavyweight will be an advantage. “It evens the playing field,” he stated. “At super-middleweight I had to lose a lot of weight. I lost 27 pounds in three weeks for the Ward fight. So fighting Kessler at super-middleweight would have been a disadvantage for me. I will make a lot of noise on May 19.”

Jul 24, 2005
Ronnie Shields: “I think the only chance Miguel Cotto had at beating Floyd Mayweather, I think he let it go when he let Emanuel Steward go”

by Geoffrey Ciani (Exclusive Interview by Jenna J & Geoffrey Ciani) - This week’s edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio featured an exclusive interview with highly regarded trainer Ronnie Shields, who recently helped guide Edwin Rodriguez (21-0, 14 KOs) to an impressive victory over Donovan George (22-2-1, 19 KOs). Shields spoke about Rodriguez’s victory and where he believes the young super middleweight currently stands in the 168 pound landscape. He also touched on a variety of other subjects including Sergio Martinez’s eleventh round stoppage victory against Matthew Macklin, the upcoming fight between Floyd Mayweather Junior and Miguel Cotto, whether he believes Shane Mosley has a chance against Saul Alvarez, the two title shots Shields received back in his days as a boxer, Tomasz Adamek, and some of the younger fighters he is currently working with including Mike Lee, amongst others. Here are some excerpts from that interview:

His views on Edwin Rodriguez’s winning effort against Donovan George:

“I thought Edwin did a great job. This was my third fight with Edwin, and I must say I think this is the best fight that we’ve had together since I started training him. I think Edwin showed he’s not a one-dimensional fighter like everybody thought he was.”

Regarding the more tactical approach displayed by Rodriguez against George:

“I definitely didn’t want Edwin to get into a slugging match. They billed this fight as “Bombs Away”, but I had to take that away from him because I didn’t think that was the best option for him to be in a fight like that. So he really, really did a great job. His defense worked perfectly, and I’m so proud of him because he stuck with the game plan.”

On whether he would prefer to see Edwin get a shot against Carl Froch or Lucian Bute:

“Well Edwin has sparred with Carl Froch before, and he really likes Carl Froch as a person. I don’t know. I’ve seen Froch fight. I’ve seen Bute fight. I mean I really don’t have a preference of which one. I really don’t care at this point in time. I think Edwin is a really good competitor, and I think he’d be a really good competitor against either one. I think Edwin’s confidence is sky high right, and he’s ready, and eager, and willing to fight either one of them. So it really doesn’t matter to me.”

His views on whether Edwin Rodriguez is ready for a title shot right now:

“Absolutely! Without a doubt, I think he proved that on Saturday night. I think when people saw the last fight against Will Rosinsky, I think people didn’t think he was ready then. But they have to understand Edwin and Rosinsky are great friends. They’re always on Facebook with each other, but when DiBella matched them against each other everything kind of turned and it became more of a rivalry than anything.”

His views on why Guillermo Rigondeaux has had so much trouble staying with one trainer during his young professional career:

“The reason they told me he left in California is because Freddie didn’t have time for him. So when he came down here with me, you know everything was going great. He had to go to Ireland. He defended his interim belt in Ireland and I had to leave with him for two weeks, and everything was fine. What he didn’t understand was I have other fighters besides him also. So when he came here for the last fight, he came like four months in advance and he didn’t want to be here that long, which wasn’t my fault. You know that was his manager and his promoters in Miami. So he said when he came he didn’t want to be here that long. I really didn’t work him out as hard. I sat down and explained to him we had three months before the fight, and he was really mad about that. But we trained and everything was going good. Then I had to leave for two weeks, and he didn’t like that I had to go for two weeks. I told him to think about you, when I had to go with you for two weeks. He didn’t like that fact. He wanted me to just drop everything and drop everybody and only work with him. There is no way in the world I would ever do that for any one fighter, so I told him the best thing he can do is go back to Miami.”

His views on Sergio Martinez’s eleventh round stoppage victory against Matthew Macklin:

“Well I didn’t get to see the whole fight. I saw it in bits and pieces. I didn’t see the first couple of rounds, but then I saw rounds four, five, and six. It looked like it was a very competitive fight, but I realized one thing when I had Kermit Cintron fight Sergio. I realized that Sergio is the strongest fighter in the world at the end, not in the beginning. If you look at his last few fights you will see that also. With his power he can change the hold on his power throughout the fight. So I figured if the fight was close, and I figured Macklin had a great chance, but if it was close going down the end that Sergio was going to be just too strong for him at the end and that’s what happened. I really didn’t think he was going to stop him. I really picked Sergio to win by unanimous decision, but the fight was a lot closer than I thought it was going to be. Again Sergio proved that he was one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.”

His views on the upcoming fight between Floyd Mayweather Junior and Miguel Cotto:

“I think it’s a favorable matchup for Mayweather. I mean I really and truly do. I think with Floyd, he wouldn’t fight at 154 pounds unless he was absolutely confident and sure that Miguel Cotto was past his prime, number one, and that he sees Miguel is not the same fighter he was five years ago. So this is why Floyd feels comfortable going up to 154 pounds. Also I think the only chance Miguel Cotto had at beating Floyd Mayweather, I think he let it go when he let Emanuel Steward go. I think Emanuel brought a lot to the table for him, but he can’t get mad at that other that he brought in. What he needed for the Antonio Margarito was conditioning, and the other guy did a great job because he had to box Antonio Margarito that way in order to way. But to fight a guy like Floyd Mayweather you need a strategist, and Emanuel Steward is the best strategist in the world and he doesn’t have that. So I really don’t see him beating Floyd at anything. You know Floyd will stand in there and punch with him, he can’t outbox Floyd, and Floyd is too good of a counterpuncher. So in order for him to have a chance I think he needed Emanuel Steward.”

His views on the upcoming fight between Sugar Shane Mosley and Saul Alvarez:

“I really think that’s going to be a great fight. I think Shane has the best chance early in the fight. The thing about Shane is, you know Shane is such a great guy. I remember when Kermit Cintron fought Alvarez and Shane came down and he helped me with Kermit, because he studied Alvarez way before his fight was ever even mentioned. So he came down, he sparred with Kermit, he helped me in the ring with Kermit, and he did a lot. So Shane knows about Alvarez. He knows everything about him. He’s studied him for awhile now, so this is perfect for Shane because now he’s fighting him. I know a few things that happened to Shane when he fought Pacquiao. Shane tore his Achilles tendon like about four weeks before that fight, so that really hindered him a lot. You didn’t see the best Shane Mosley out there. Everything I’m telling you is true facts that I know. I was at the fight, and after the fight I saw Shane and he showed me the blisters on the bottom of his feet that he had from the new shoes that he put on. He made a mistake by putting those shoes on without trying them. With that said, with the Achilles injury and the blisters on the bottom of his feet he was at a huge disadvantage, because Pacquiao is just so good and you have to be at 100% to beat Pacquiao. But against Alvarez Shane realizes one thing—that Alvarez in the first couple of rounds is not at his best. He likes to feel you out, and every fight he’s fought he’s the same way. He’s so deceiving man, because when I watched him on tape I said he was real slow. But seeing him firsthand the kid has power and the kid has speed. In order for Shane to win this fight, Shane has to jump on him and make him respect him. Nobody’s made this kid respect them yet. You know what? It’s going to be a hard, hard task for Shane to do that. If anybody can do it, Shane has a chance, but he has to do it within the first six rounds.”

His views on whether Tomasz Adamek should move back down to cruiserweight following his one-sided loss at the hands of Vitali Klitschko:

“I think so. I mean look, in this game it’s all about having the best opportunity for your fighter. I trained Tomasz. He’s a very, very good boxer. He’s not the biggest puncher in the world, but he’s a very good boxer. He’s not a huge guy. I had seen where his trainer was talking about bringing him up to 230 pounds. That’s way too much for a guy of Tomasz’s stature. He can’t fight at that weight because he’s going to be too slow and he has no power at that weight. He’s not going to have any power at that weight. I saw they said they were willing to fight Klitschko again. Why? Who would want to buy that? Who would see that? He can be 280 pounds and it won’t matter how big he is. He can’t win against either Klitschko. It’s as simple as that. His best bet is to go down to cruiserweight and he can handle all of those guys there. He has an even chance and he can be a superstar at that weight.”

Regarding the two title shots that he had during his boxing career against Billy Costello and Tsuyoshi Hamada:

“Well definitely the one in Japan I know I deserved the victory. I mean I trained so hard for that fight. When I fought Hamada I really realized what I was going into when I got there, because I had seen so many other fighters and talked to so many other fighters who had fought in Japan and the same thing happened to them. If you don’t knock the guy out you’re not going to win. It’s as simple as that. No matter how bad you beat a fighter, in Japan you’re not going to get that decision. It’s just as simple as that. I knew that going into that fight, but I did the best I could and everybody who saw that fight, still today I have people telling me I should have been champion of the world because I beat Hamada the Japanese guy. Now against Billy Costello I had a lot of problems making weight for that fight. Number one, they took me out of my environment. I was with Don King at the time, and him and my manager decided that I needed to get away to go to training camp in upstate New York. I didn’t want to go because I was so comfortable being at home. I couldn’t lose any weight, and the day of the weigh in we weighed in the day of the fight. I was like six pounds overweight, so I didn’t eat anything for like 48 hours trying to lose the weight. I barely made the weight. I was so weak I could hardly stand up. I could have gotten hurt seriously in that fight. Thinking about it now I realize I probably shouldn’t have fought that fight, because I should have stayed at where I was. I can’t take anything away from Billy Costello because Billy was a really, really good fighter. He was on that night and he fought a tremendous fight.”

Regarding some of the younger fighters he currently works with:

“Right now I got a kid named Mike Lee. Mike Lee is from Chicago, Illinois. He’s 8-0. He’s a really, really good prospect. He graduated from Notre Dame. He has a finance degree from the University of Notre Dame, and he decided he wants to become a fighter. His career is really going great. We had a setback. He tore a tendon in his right knuckle, so he’s not going to be able to fight now until June. He’s been off this whole year. He’s back in the gym finally now. Just look out for him—Mike Lee, he’s a light heavyweight. Then I have a kid from San Antonio, Texas named Adam Lopez. He had his first fight on the Chavez Junior card in San Antonio last month and he had a spectacular first round knockout. He’s fighting next week in San Antonio again. I have a kid named Jarmall Charlo who fought in Houston on the undercard of Erik Morales and Danny Garcia. He’s 16-0, but he’s 21 years old. I’m moving him slow. I’m not trying to rush him into anything. So these are the future stars that I’m working with. These guys bring it all the time! I got another kid named Danny O’Connor who’s 16-1. He’s from Boston, Massachusetts. Be looking out for him. He’s a really good southpaw, and I got a few more guys that are just starting up. These guys are going to be the future of boxing.”

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
I dont think he could beat Floyd with him but I do think he shouldve kept Steward as his trainer. I know he looked good against Margarito but overall Steward is a great trainer and he shouldve never switched. Got Em!!

Jul 24, 2005
Manny: For Floyd, Boxing is his only livelihood
March 26th, 2012

By Frank (Frankly) Livingstone: Manny Pacquiao appeared on a Filipino television program last Sunday and revealed the following: During the negotiation, Mayweather told my team that he had to ask for a big share of the purse. “If I lost the fight, at least he (Pacquiao) is a congressman, But for me, boxing is my only livelihood.” That’s what he (Floyd) said.

If what Floyd said was true, then it would indeed explain the reason for his demand for a bigger slice of the purse. But this was not the reason given by Floyd during the Costa interview. Floyd insists that Manny does not deserve a 50:50 split because he thought that Manny lost the fight with Marquez while he totally dominated Marquez. This is his main argument.

For my part, Manny’s fight with Marquez could have gone either way but being the challenger, Marquez was not aggressive enough to dethrone Manny resulting to Manny winning by a unanimous decision. Following Floyd’s argument, his fight with Oscar De La Hoya could have gone either way but Floyd’s aggressive stance gave him a split decision victory while Manny totally dominated Oscar De La Hoya.

As for the PPV numbers, Floyd holds the record with Oscar De La Hoya of over 2 million. But then again, Oscar was the PPV king and a fight with an upcoming superstar justifies the record. It was the Oscar factor. Before his fight with Oscar, Floyd’s PPV numbers averaged around 300,000. After the Oscar fight, it jumped to over a million. But Floyd could only reach a maximum of 1.4 million PPV in his last 3 fights. Manny Pacquiao also experienced the Oscar factor as his PPV numbers skyrocketed to an average 1 million PPV after his fight with Oscar. Manny also reached a maximum of 1.4 million during his fight with Marquez.

So there is no argument that a 50:50 split is a reasonable outcome for both fighters. But recently, Manny has expressed his desire to receive smaller slice of the purse as long as the PPV revenue is split evenly. This is better than the previous 55:45 offer with the 10% bonus going to the winner. The offer guarantees Floyd a bigger slice, win or lose.

I tip my hat off for Manny for being the bigger man (for a lil fella) in this case, just to make the fight happen. Manny has agreed to the ODST and now has no problem getting the smaller share of the purse.

Manny could indeed look forward to a life after boxing as a politician, actor, singer and a bible preacher. For Floyd, boxing is his livelihood and father time is fast catching up.

We could only hope that with this latest offer from Manny, Floyd would finally step up and give the fight the fans wanted. But then again, Cotto and Bradley stand in the way….and the saga continues.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
agreed cotto cannot box with a better boxer, counterpunch with a counterpuncher and he cotto needs to impose his size and hope for floyd to make a mistake
Not much of a size advantage either though. Sure he fights at 154 now but he's 5'6-5'7. He needs to be aggressive though and try to land that left hand to the body consistently which for whatever reason he doesn't seem to use as much these days.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao willing to take smaller share of purse against Mayweather
March 26th, 2012

By John F. McKenna (McJack): Filipino icon WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KO’s) was quoted in a story in the Manila Bulletin that he is willing to take a smaller share of the purse in a showdown with undefeated superstar World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s). Pacquiao attended the 12th Elorde Boxing Awards and Banquet of Champions at a hotel in Makati City and wound up fielding reporters questions as the event.

Manny was not interested in answering questions about a possible retirement in the near future, but perked up when the discussion turned to a still hoped for fight with Mayweather. Despite the fact that several negotiations have failed in the attempt to put together a fight between the two biggest money makers in boxing “Pacman” made it clear that he wants the fight to happen. Despite his willingness to take a smaller piece of the pie Manny was emphatic in his desire to split the lucrative Pay Per View (PPV) revenue 50/50. It is thought by many boxing insiders that the PPV revenue alone will bring in approximately $160 million.

Speaking of his frustration in getting Mayweather to come to terms in a deal that would enable the fight to happen Pacquiao had the following comment:

“It’s clear that he doesn’t want the fight, and I can’t do anything about it. This fight is going to be great only if it happens.”

When Pacquiao and Mayweather had their famous phone conversation several weeks ago it was reported that Floyd offered Manny a $40 million cut with “Money” keeping the PPV for himself. Pacquiao later said that he felt embarrassed by Mayweather’s offer.

After the Pacquiao – Mayweather fight fell through once again, TOP RANK CEO Bob Arum settled on putting together a fight between “Pacman” and undefeated WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (28-0-1 NC, 12 KO’s) on June 9 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. The main drawback in fighting Bradley is his tendency to lead with his head. Pacquiao is coming off a fight against WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KO’s) last November in which he suffered a deep cut and it is something that his camp will have to guard against in the Bradley fight.

It will be interesting to see how the Pacquiao – Bradley fight sells to boxing fans. Although Bradley is undefeated and a very good fighter, he has never demonstrated the ability to be a huge draw. Mayweahter will fight WBA light middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO’s) on May 5, also at the MGM Grand Arena. Cotto in contrast to Bradley has a huge fan base.

Jul 24, 2005
Not much of a size advantage either though. Sure he fights at 154 now but he's 5'6-5'7. He needs to be aggressive though and try to land that left hand to the body consistently which for whatever reason he doesn't seem to use as much these days.
agreed but . Cotto's biggest problem is not goint to be the trainer, If anything, he has destroyed B fighters throughout his career and floyd will be too quick for him I see floyd putting on a boxing clinic

Jul 24, 2005
Floyd’s going to stop Cotto, says trainer Roger
March 27th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Roger Mayweather, the trainer for undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr., sees his him stopping WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto on May 5th in their HBO pay-per-view fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Roger doesn’t even see any real suspense in this fight, as he already knows that Mayweather Jr. is going to do a number on Cotto.

Roger told examiner.com writer Chris Robinson “I already know what Floyd’s going to do. Cotto ain’t s**t! Floyd’s going to stop his mother-f***ing ass.”

Roger sees Cotto as being the same as Mayweather Jr’s last opponent former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz, who Mayweather Jr. completely dominated in the process of stopping him in the 4th round last September. Ortiz fell apart mentally in the 4th round of that fight after eating a lot of combinations from Mayweather. Finally out of frustration Ortiz head-butted Mayweather Jr. This led to Ortiz losing a point and then getting KO’d when he wouldn’t stop apologizing to Mayweather.

Mayweather Jr. is going to work Cotto over and make him look like an overmatched sparring partner. I’m hoping the fight can go at least 10 rounds so that boxing fans can see Mayweather work but I doubt it. Cotto will start taking punishment and probably fall apart and end up getting stopped way earlier. If Manny Pacquiao was able to stop Cotto in the 12th round, then I see Floyd being able to do it in half the time like in the 6th. The only way Cotto survives into the second half of this fight is if he runs and doesn’t try to land any shots of his own in a pure survival oriented fight.

Mayweather has Cotto already figured out from having watched a lot of his fights. If Cotto is wise, he’ll retook his game completely with new punches, new fighting angles and a whole different plan of attack because Mayweather has got his number otherwise.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach: I want Khan to stay in the center of the ring against Peterson
March 27th, 2012

By William Mackay: Trainer Freddie Roach says that he’s going to try and have Amir Khan (26-2, 18 KO’s) stay in the center of the ring on May 19th in his rematch against IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KO’s) rather than letting Khan stay on the ropes like he was doing from time to time last December to catch a breather against Peterson.

Roach told RingTV “He [Khan] did lay on the ropes at times in a passive position. He was letting Lamont go with some hard shots to the body. So I would pretty much tell him not to lay on the ropes so much and to box more in the middle of the ring.”

That sounds good in theory but in practical application it may be that Khan can’t fight that way against Peterson. When he was trying to box in the center of the ring against Peterson last time, Peterson was able to close the distance to really hammer him with hard shots. Khan had to stop punching because he was getting nailed in between his own shots and it obviously hurt. If Roach tries to keep Khan off the ropes, it means that Khan will get fewer rest breaks and will need to move a lot more than he did last time. You could see the effects of the running on Khan by the 8th round, as he started to look really tired, resulting in Khan doing a lot of pushing off on Peterson.

If Roach wanted to make some real changes to Khan’s game, he’d keep him from shoving, holding and putting Peterson in headlocks all night. Those are the things that took away from Khan’s game and the shoving led to Khan losing two points. I don’t know if the shoving was Roach’s brain child or if Khan has been doing this before he started training with Roach.

Jul 24, 2005
BoxNation and Golden Boy Promotions agree to an output deal

BoxNation is delighted to announce a long term output deal with top US boxing promoter Golden Boy Promotions, commencing on April 21 with a double world-title show Abner Mares v Erik Morel for the Vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) World Super-Bantamweight title and the WBA Super World Bantamweight title between Anselmo Moreno and David De La Mora, followed on April 28 with Bernard Hopkins’ rematch with Chad Dawson for the WBC World Light-Heavyweight title.

TV's New Home of Boxing in the UK, Channel 456 on Sky and 546 on Virgin, will show two LIVE GBP shows per month that will include one of their major HBO or Showtime TV events and one show from their hit Solo Boxeo series.

BoxNation will televise LIVE from Las Vegas on May 5th the forthcoming GBP promoted super-fight between, arguably, the world's best pound-for-pound fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. against current World Boxing Association (WBA) World Light-Middleweight Champion Miguel Cotto.

The card also features rising world star Canelo Alvarez from Mexico who will defend his WBC World Light-Middleweight title against former six-time and three division world champion Shane Mosely.

Established in 2002 by former multi-weight world champion Oscar de la Hoya, GBP has become one of the world's most active and respected promoters with a top roster of talent.

Since launching last September, BoxNation, the UK's only fight dedicated channel BoxNation has televised 34 LIVE shows from the UK and abroad that includes:

- over 2000 hours on air

- 25 World Championship contests

- 6 European Championships

- 10 British and Commonwealth title contests

- 19 Various championship contest

- 7 Regional championships

Commenting on the deal, Simon Green, BoxNation CEO, said, ""This is a tremendous addition to BoxNation's lineup of world class boxing. Golden Boy hosts the best of the sport from the United States and along with the top action from Europe and the UK now means that we can arguably claim to be the best boxing channel ever."Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, said,"We are pleased to expand our relationship with BoxNation and bring British fight fans at least two Golden Boy events every month.”

BoxNation is the first dedicated subscription boxing TV channel in the UK to bring together the biggest names in amateur, domestic and international boxing with an unbeatable schedule of matches from across the globe.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net

Sillakh vs Grachev: ESPN Battle of Unbeatens Announced

AUSTIN, Texas – World-class professional boxing will return to the Frank Erwin Center Friday, April 27 when Roy Jones Jr.’s Square Ring Promotions brings two riveting 10-round feature bouts to be telecast live on ESPN Friday Night Fights.

NABF Light Heavyweight Champion Ismayl “The Black Russian” Sillakh will face unbeaten contender Denis “The Pirate” Grachev of Russia. Sillakh, 17-0 with 14 knockouts, is rated No. 2 in the world by the WBC, and is in line to meet the winner of the April 28 Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson WBC world title fight. He risks that title shot, his world rating and his NABF championship against danger man Grachev, 11-0-1 with 7 KO’s, a world champion kickboxer who trains in San Diego.

"These are two great matchups with some of the most exciting young talent in the sport today," said Jones. "I can't remember a time when the top two fights on ESPN featured four undefeated boxers putting it all on the line. They're all stepping up because they want to be world champion.”

Sillakh, a Ukrainian living in Southern California, stormed to the top of the WBC ratings last year when he dominated fellow unbeaten contender Yordanis Despaigne on an ESPN main event. Grachev earned the reputation as a spoiler after his two most recent matches, scoring impressive wins in the backyard of previously unbeaten opponents.

The co-feature is just as intriguing and competitive as Sillakh-Grachev, with Yuandale “Money Shot” Evans of Cleveland battling Javier Fortuna of the Dominican Republic in a 10-round featherweight bout. Fortuna, 18-0 with 13 knockouts, is the WBC No. 8-rated featherweight, while the globetrotting Evans, 16-0 with 12 knockouts, has scored significant victories in Indonesia and Russia and holds the WBC Youth Championship.

The five-bout undercard is loaded with Texas talent, including local fighters Daniel Henry, Cory Yett and Ronny Hale. In addition, former world champion Jesus Chavez will bring his unbeaten protégé Maurice Hooker of Dallas for a 4-round bout.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Hell yeah. Hershman at HBO has no problem with fights like this whereas that bum Greenburg never wanted to headline European/Russian fighters. They wouldn't give Pirog a fight after KO'ing Jacobs.

Pirog-Geale; Trout-Dzinziruk HBO Doubleheader In Works

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
If you missed this the other day: Excellent @HBOboxing card in works for August: Pirog-Geale 160 unification main event & Trout-Dzinziruk. http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Odlanier Solis Back on 5/19, in Camp With Cotto

One year ago Cuban heavyweight sensation suffered a bad knee injury when challenging WBC world champion Vitali Klitschko in Cologne, Germany. At the end of the first round which he would have won on the scorecards, Solis’ knee gave in, forcing the referee to stop the fight. "La Sombra“ had to undergo surgery three times and was unable to get back into the ring so far even though his comeback had been announced a couple of times last year. Now the 2004 Olympic gold medalist and multiple world amateur champion ist finally set to return to action on May 19th in Texas on a show promoted by Kathy Duva (Main Events) along with Ahmet Oner (ARENA).

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Kirkland is a g he went into the molina fight with a blown shoulder, never once mentioned it or complained, he didn't want to pull out of the fight. Never use it as an excuse either. He may be out 3-6 months though...

Kirkland to have shoulder surgery on Monday
by Lem Satterfield
Mar 28th, 2012

Southpaw junior middleweight James Kirkland is scheduled to receive surgery on Monday to repair two tears in his right shoulder -- the jab arm -- following Saturday night's controversial, HBO-televised 10th-round disqualification victory over Carlos Molina at the Reliant Arena in Houston, Tex., his co-manager and attorney, Michael Miller, told Ring .com on Wednesday.

Kirkland (30-1-1, 27 knockouts) will be operated on by San Antonio-based general orthopedist, Dr. Philip M. Jacobs, a shoulder and sports medicine specialist who diagnosed Kirkland's injury following an MRI on Tuesday, according to Miller.

"The MRI was done at an imaging center, but Dr. Jacobs read the MRI and went over it with us. But James has had shoulder issues in the past. I mean, there are times when he can't lift his arm over his head, it hurts so much," said Miller.

"And he's not a complainer. I've found out some of these things through his trainer, Ann Wolfe, and some of this through James. He'll be like, 'my shoulder hurts, but it's okay.' He's a tough kid."

Kirkland's previous fight was November's come-from-behind, sixth-round knockout of Alfredo Angulo, against whom he was floored 30 seconds into the bout only to drop Angulo just before the bell ending the same round. Angulo was knocked out for the first time in his career.

"I'm not saying that this is an excuse about how he looked, but he wasn't the James Kirkland who fought Angulo, so let's get real about that. The doctor said, 'this is a significant injury,' asking, 'how long have you had it?' James was like, 'well, when I fought on Saturday night, I didn't want to complain about it,'" said Miller, adding that Jacobs considered the connection between Kirkland's ligaments and his shoulder to be "very loose."

"But you will notice that he didn't throw many jabs at all against Molina. He was way off," said Miller. "So this may explain a little bit why he couldn't keep Molina off of him and why he wasn't pushing him back and that kind of thing."

Miller said Jacobs expects Kirkland's recovery to take "about three months" after the surgery.

"For three weeks, he's going to do nothing. Then he'll go through some physical therapy and hopefully back in the gym in three months. Normally, Dr. Jacobs said that recovery takes six months. But he said that the six months is for the people who don't excercise and who are in horrible shape and who are 68 to 75 years old," said Miller.

"He said, 'for someone like you, who is 28 years old and who is great shape and who trains all of the time, I anticipate you being able to train in three months, maybe four at the most.' The operation sounded like something that needed to be done immediately, so we scheduled it. As a favor to both of us, he's scheduled it for Monday to get this thing done."

Molina's promoter, Leon Margules, president of Warriors Boxing Promotions, has filed an appeal with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation seeking to change Kirkland's victory over Molina into a "no-contest or a no-decision," he told ******.com on Tuesday.

Referee Jon Schorle disqualified Molina in response to his cornerman briefly hopping into the ring after a round-ending bell sounded almost at the same instant that Kirkland knocked Molina down. The intrusion briefly halted Schorle's 10-count, which resumed as a standing eight.

In response to the infraction, Schorle directed Molina's cornerman, Lou Askennette, to leave the ring, held a brief discussion at ringside with commission representative Greg Alvarez and WBC supervisor Craig Hubble, and then turned and waved off the fight.

Kirkland trailed Molina on two of the three judges' cards at the time, although most observers felt that the one card in Kirkland's favor was, in itself, controversial.

Jul 24, 2005
Bundrage defends IBF title against Spinks on June 23
March 28th, 2012

By Allan Fox: IBF light middleweight champion Cornelius Bundrage (31-4, 18 KO’s) will be defending his International Boxing Federation title for the for the second time against 34-year-old former two division world champion Cory Spinks (39-6, 11 KO’s) on June 23rd at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, in Hollywood, Florida.

Spinks, 34, will be trying to avenge his 5th round TKO loss to the 38-year-old Bundrage from August, 2010. Spinks was pretty well batted around in that fight and took heavy punishment until finally being halted in the 5th after being knocked to the canvas.

It doesn’t seem like a good match-up for Spinks to be getting back in the ring with Bundrage because his style of fighting with the Mayweather-esque shoulder roll just wasn’t going to work against a big hitter like Bundrage. Spinks doesn’t move all that well and doesn’t have a great jab. Those are things that you need to beat the flat-footed Bundrage. I can’t see the rematch being any different than the first fight.

Spinks, #1 IBF, is still rated highly by the IBF, while the other sanctioning bodies don’t have ranked at all in the top 15. The division has improved a lot since Spinks was in his prime and he’s definitely slipped a couple of notches in the past few years. Spinks has hurt himself with inactivity, as well. He only fought once in 2011, beating Sharkir Ashanti (16-10) by a 10 round decision; once in 2010 and once in 2009. That’s clearly not fighting enough if you want to stay sharp and on top of the division. It was no surprise that Spinks was taken out by Bundrage because if Bundrage didn’t get him somebody else would once Spinks fought someone good in the division.

Spinks defeated Sechew Powell by a 12 round unanimous decision in his last fight last January to an IBF light middleweight eliminator bout to earn a rematch against Bundrage.