Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Ponce De Leon unimpressed by Broner

World Boxing Organization (WBO) Super Featherweight Champion, Adrien Broner, has the boxing world buzzing after his knockout win over Eloy Perez on HBO. But there was one fighter who wasn’t so impressed. “A lot of people think I beat Broner when we fought last year,” stated former world champion Daniel Ponce De Leon. “I fought him in his own weight division and he still couldn’t do anything to me.”

Broner and De Leon faced off on March fifth of 2011 with Broner getting a one point advantage on two of the judge’s scorecards. “You need to have punching power to make Broner respect you,” he added. “I’d like to face him again in the near future. Right now I’m focused on winning the featherweight title.”

De Leon is currently making his case for a fight against W.B.C. featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez. He’s coming off a sixth round knockout over Omar Estrella.

“Ponce De Leon Vs. Jhonny Gonzalez would be fight of the year material. There’s no doubt in my mind,” said De Leon’s manager Frank Espinoza Sr. “They have eighty knockouts between them. It’s the kind of match up that makes boxing fans out of every day sports fans. We’re looking to make it happen before the end of the year.”

Jul 24, 2005
Donaire: I want Gamboa; he’s 100 times better than Rigondeux
February 27th, 2012

By Chris Williams: Newly crowned WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (28-1, 18 KO’s) is still resistant to the idea of facing WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux for some reason and you have to what’s really behind all of Donaire’s refusals to face the Cuban two-time former Olympic Gold Medalist Rigondeaux. Donaire says he wants to face Yuriorkis Gamboa, and feels he’s a lot better than Rigondeuax.

Speaking with Fight Hub, Donaire said “If I’m afraid [of Rigondeaux], then give me Gamboa. I’m not afraid to fight Gamboa, and I believe Gamboa is a 100 times better than Rigondeaux. That’s the type of fight I want. That’s one of the guys I want to go for.”

I’m afraid that’s a step too far for Donaire, as he looked terrible in beating former WBO super bantamweight champion Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. by a 12 round split decision earlier this month on February 4th. Donaire got beat up a little against Vazquez Jr. and Donaire’s power clearly didn’t carry up with him from bantamweight if it was even good at that weight. Donaire has looked less than overpowering in his last two fights against Omar Narvaez and Vazquez Jr. If you then have Donaire move up to super featherweight to face the faster and more powerful Gamboa, do you think Donaire will do well? I know I don’t. Donaire would have to put on additional weight to fight Gamboa at super featherweight, because Gamboa isn’t going to drain himself to meet Donaire at featherweight. I see it ending badly for Donaire with Gamboa manhandling him and taking him out in four or five rounds at the most.

I can see why Donaire wouldn’t mind facing Gamboa rather than Rigondeaux. Gamboa has been pro longer than Rigondeaux and is better known. Getting beaten by Gambos isn’t a bad thing because he’s so well known and widely respected. Getting beaten by the lesser known Rigondeaux would be a big thing for Donaire because Rigondeaux is only now getting a name for himself, but still isn’t hugely popular. Donaire would have a lot more to lose by getting beaten by the relative newcomer Rigondeaux compared to Gamboa.

It sure seems like Donaire is avoiding Rigondeaux and you have to wonder why. If he’s willing to fight the recently knocked out Vazquez Jr., then why isn’t Donaire eager to face a guy who’s unbeaten and who has much better amateur credentials like Rigondeaux?

Feb 8, 2006
[video=youtube;IdknVrMFspk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IdknVrMFspk#![/video]

lol Donaire wants no parts of Rigondeux, he knows hes a big problem. sad arum wont let this go down no time soon

Feb 8, 2006
HOW MUCH OF A PROBLEM IS ADRIEN BRONER?
By John McCormick

A problem can be defined as a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome. After Saturday night's destruction of previously unbeaten Eloy Perez, one would have an arduous time explaining how Adrien "The Problem" Broner (23-0 with 19 KOs) doesn't live up to his nickname.

Leading into his first defense of the WBO super featherweight title, many boxing experts envisioned Broner winning a hard fought, gritty battle that would test Adrien's mental fortitude before obtaining the win. However, the performance put forth by the undefeated 22 year old out of Cincinatti, Ohio demonstrated that he has the ability to be one of boxing's next big stars. Throughout the bout, Broner peppered Perez with amazing combinations, utilized great defense, and at times looked as if he was toying with him. Perez's "problem" culminated at 2:24 of the fourth round when Broner struck him with a right hand while he laid on the ropes, and subsequently landed another right hand en route to the canvas. The conclusion was a ten count, and another victory for Broner.

It is evident that Adrien Broner is a problem in the super featherweight division, a division that is as shallow as a kiddie pool. The real question lies ahead, five pounds north of Adrien's current weight class, in the lightweight division. That division is hosting the mega fight between two unbeaten fighters in Yuriokis Gamboa and Brandon Rios on April 14th. How much of a "problem" would Broner be for Gamboa or Rios? If we are lucky, father time will inevitably give us that answer. For the time being, we are forced to fantasize, analyze, and debate mythical fights between fighters who are currently active.

Forget the boisterous personality, the aggravating hair brushing, and the dreadful dancing, Adrien Broner possesses the competence to be vexatious to any opponent put in front of him, but is a pleasure to watch. Boxing fans, we have a problem and it looks like he is here to stay.

Feb 8, 2006
Behind the Scenes, Haymon Is Shaking Up the Fight Game

As Floyd Mayweather Jr. basked in his latest victory, the man behind the curtain actually stood behind a curtain, a cliché sprung to life. Few in the postfight news conference recognized this man, a reclusive, eccentric so-called adviser who rarely ventures into public.

The man arrived in Las Vegas incognito, dressed like a secret agent: black suit, white shirt, dark tie. His influence extended over every aspect of the promotion, from Mayweather’s $40 million pay structure to the resale of the best tickets at the MGM’s Grand Garden Arena.

As the chief architect of the career of Mayweather, perhaps the most prominent fighter since Mike Tyson, this man ranks among boxing’s most powerful figures. He also stands between Mayweather and a blockbuster fight with Manny Pacquiao.

From behind the curtain, he watched as Mayweather called his sizable entourage onstage, thanking bodyguards, assistants and assistants to assistants. “Where’s Al Haymon?” Mayweather said as he scanned the audience, his question a familiar one.

Mayweather shrugged. “Al Haymon would never come up here,” he added. “Al Haymon is the Ghost.”

These are the Haymon basics: Harvard-educated; successful in live concert promotion, then television production, now boxing; extensive list of celebrity clients; a brother, Bobby, who once fought Sugar Ray Leonard; no office, no answering machine, no photographs, no interviews.

“Think of Al as the Wizard of Oz,” said Phil Casey, one longtime partner in the music business. “It’s best not to try and figure him out.”

From Concert Stage to TV Screen

Haymon, 56, grew up in Cleveland and studied economics at Harvard, where he also earned a master’s degree in business administration. He started promoting recording artists while still in school, and even financed his first show, which featured the violinist Jean-Luc Ponty, with student loans.

After college, Haymon returned to Cleveland and established a relationship with the O’Jays, growing especially close with Eddie Levert, the lead vocalist, and his son Gerald, an R&B singer. Haymon, Eddie Levert said, became “almost like blood to us.”

Levert described Haymon as a momma’s boy, and he meant it as a compliment. Early on, Haymon’s mother, Emma Lou, helped him with promotions, and for her 70th birthday, they recreated their trip to Harvard for his freshman year.

Haymon eventually created 14 businesses, mostly to deal with myriad aspects of live concert promotion. Early on, he was partners with Casey, then head of urban contemporary music at International Creative Management.

Casey estimated they staged more than 1,000 concerts together. Their client roster included M. C. Hammer, New Edition, Whitney Houston and Mary J. Blige. They were, Casey said, among the first urban concert promoters to package several acts into a single tour, some of which ran for 300 days. They created the Budweiser Superfest, a concert series that ran from 1979 to 1999 and was revived in 2010.

Haymon and Casey turned an often haphazard business into an assembly-line production. They oversaw lighting, production, marketing and advertising, built an infrastructure, a total package, then plugged artists in. In 1992, Haymon, in a rare interview, told USA Today that they put on some 500 shows and grossed $60 million the year before.

“You could say the African-American concert world was divided in two camps: all the promoters who were trying to beat Al, and him,” said Jack Boyle, then chairman of the concert giant SFX Entertainment’s live music group.

By 1987, Haymon began to branch out. He co-promoted the “Eddie Murphy Raw” tour, working closely with Murphy and his stepfather, Vernon Lynch. Lynch’s partner, Gregory Pai, said the tour was at that time the highest-grossing comedy tour and comedy film ever.

“Promotion is as much science as art, and Al was able to mix the two,” Pai said. “He understood the mechanics of the business. He was an optimizer, the Steve Jobs of promotion.”

Haymon glided easily among constituents, as comfortable with lawyers in a boardroom as with artists from the streets. He knew politics, literature and economics, but he also knew how to avoid controversy. He sent holiday gift baskets and doled out concert tickets.

As his concert business evolved, Haymon’s reputation grew to include his propensity for putting on only the biggest, boldest shows, with back-to-back engagements up to 1,200 miles apart.

“If there’s a tour now with long routes, still, people say, is that an Al Haymon tour?” said Carl Freed, once executive director of the North American Independent Concert Promoters Association, which Haymon never joined.

In 1999, Haymon sold A. H. Enterprises to SFX Entertainment. The move, at the time, was typical, but the split was not. Haymon retained 50 percent and most of the creative control.

As R&B concert promotion gradually gave way to hip-hop and rap tours, Casey said, he and Haymon cut back. The problems with such tours — fights backstage, shootings, bloated entourages — were overdramatized, Casey added, “But when they did happen, it was so disruptive.” Casey recalled one incident, at a show in Boston, that resulted in a lawsuit and forced the cancellation of future events. They lost their building deposits and wasted their advertising money.

Haymon shifted into television production, where he encountered a skeptical Bob Levinson, the former head of the television department at I.C.M. Expecting someone in his 50s, Levinson was surprised by Haymon, still in his 30s.

“I know you don’t like this,” Levinson said Haymon told him. “But tell me what to do, and I’ll do it.”

Haymon, Levinson said, structured his initial deal so that he received little money up front, a tactic he later used in boxing. Haymon was expected to deliver perhaps one or two shows, but by the end of the first year, he had 13 projects under way. And in this writer-driven medium, he wrote none of them himself.

He is credited as a producer on 10 television shows, including, most recently, “Grown Ups” on UPN from 1999 to 2000. From there, he segued into boxing but kept his hand in music. These varied businesses, though, held much in common, like treating talent as commodities, and working months on a single event.

Kery Davis, HBO’s senior vice president for sports programming, who also has a background in the music business, pointed to another crucial similarity among the industries Haymon penetrated.

“Very few barriers to entry,” he said.

Entering a New Arena

Haymon stepped gingerly into boxing, around 2000; it is unclear exactly when. He first worked closely with one fighter, Vernon Forrest, and described his foray into pugilism as a hobby, nothing more.

Friends like Levert were concerned that Haymon “was probably in over his head.” But Haymon’s only unease lay with his mother. Haymon told Levinson she did not approve of boxing. During fights, he sent siblings to her house to keep her occupied, so she would not accidentally see him on TV.

Haymon’s small inner circle entered the boxing world with him. Sylvia Browne, his assistant, handled much of the day-to-day affairs. Sam Watson and his two sons represented the public face of Haymon’s boxing enterprise, accompanying Haymon fighters into the ring.

Early on, Haymon tenaciously sought connections with the networks. He called Xavier James, the vice president for sports programming at HBO until 2004, at all hours daily, on three separate lines, and yet Haymon remained a mystery to James. Haymon penetrated boxing, James said, “with a great deal of guile and almost no personal interaction.”

“If I wanted to,” James said Haymon often told him, “I could run boxing.”

Starting with Forrest, Haymon established his reputation as someone who maximized fighters’ incomes, often at the expense of promoters. But his handling of fighters was not universally lauded.

Consider Lamon Brewster. Starting in 1999, he was bankrolled by Sam Simon, a boxing fan and a co-creator of “The Simpsons.” Simon said he paid Brewster about $50,000 annually on top of his fight purses and allowed Brewster to live rent-free in a house he owned.

Their relationship went beyond money, Simon said. So when Brewster defeated Wladimir Klitschko to capture the World Boxing Organization’s heavyweight title in April 2004, Simon pronounced it “the happiest night of my life,” like “having one horse and winning the Kentucky Derby.”

Soon after, Brewster talked about adding Haymon to the team as an adviser. He also began working with Don King. Simon said Haymon did not return his phone calls. At his next fight, five months later in Las Vegas, Brewster called Haymon and handed the phone to Simon. Haymon told Simon, “You’re out of a job.” A contract was then slid under the door of Simon’s hotel room. His commission had been reduced to 1 percent.

“It was like a bad boxing movie,” Simon said. “I blamed Haymon. I considered it the greatest betrayal of my life.”

Brewster responded to initial inquiries but ultimately was not available to comment. Through his lawyer, Haymon declined to answer questions.

Despite multiple eye operations and retinal tears, Brewster continued to fight, including four times in Germany, where the sport is regulated less stringently. Yet for one bout, in 2006 in Cleveland, Brewster submitted medical records in which the answers to three questions under Eye History, including blurred vision and surgical procedures, were “No.”

The records were faxed to the Ohio Athletic Commission from A. Haymon Development.

When Brewster went to a party at Simon’s house last December, few recognized him. To Simon, Brewster’s left eye appeared vacant. Simon and others who know him worry that Brewster is going blind.

Promoter, Manager or Both?

Most major professional sports leagues vet athletes’ representatives. In boxing, however, anyone can call himself an adviser, and lines are crossed often, without consequence. A fighter’s representative once phoned Xavier James, the former HBO executive, from a correctional facility.

Haymon is licensed in Nevada as a manager, yet he also performs many of same functions as promoters, his associates said, putting him in a legal gray area and perhaps in violation of the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act, passed in 2000.

Pat English, a prominent boxing lawyer who helped draft the legislation, said it was intended to clearly separate promoters and managers.

Promoters assume the financial risk for an event, select the site, rent the ring and pay insurance. The less they pay any one fighter, the more they make. The manager is beholden to an individual boxer, not the card. In practice, the two should act as a counterbalance.

Haymon, though, appears to operate as a hybrid, said James, Bob Arum of Top Rank Boxing, and seven others with direct knowledge of Haymon’s business dealings who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution in future negotiations.

“I don’t think it’s a gray area; some do,” James said. “If you’re acting like a promoter, you should be subject to regulations. You can’t say, ‘O.K., I’m benefiting fighters, so therefore I don’t have to be in compliance.’ ”

Others see such criticism as mere jealousy toward Haymon.

“He makes fighters the most money,” said Jeff Wald, who helped create the reality TV series “The Contender” and worked with Haymon in boxing and entertainment. “Of course everybody hates him. If I was a fighter, he’s the first guy I’d go to.”

Showtime declined to comment about its dealings with Haymon.

Davis said HBO did not negotiate directly with Haymon. He said that “it would be inaccurate to say we never talk to Al,” but that the network makes boxing deals with promoters only.

Much of Haymon’s influence is derived from his relationship with Mayweather. Haymon helped him maneuver out of his contract with Top Rank for $750,000. Mayweather became the biggest pay-per-view draw of his generation, made a professional wrestling cameo, appeared on “Dancing With the Stars,” all in part because of Haymon’s influence. Boxing fans are craving a showdown between Mayweather and Pacquiao. The fate of that fight may rest with Haymon more than with any other person.

Richard Schaefer, the chief executive of Golden Boy Promoters, the company hired in recent years to promote Mayweather fights, called Haymon “easily the smartest man I’ve ever met.”

Mayweather added, “If I would have had Al Haymon from the beginning, I probably would be a billionaire right now.”

Haymon’s power extends beyond Mayweather, though. He represents other prominent boxers, including Andre Berto, Paul Williams and Jermain Taylor, along with younger prospects like Adrien Broner and Gary Russell Jr. Haymon spreads those fighters among various promoters and steers clear of long-term contracts.

Berto is most often cited example of Haymon’s reach. In January 2010, he was supposed to fight Shane Mosley but withdrew, citing the earthquake in his native Haiti. Mosley ended up fighting Mayweather, while Berto received a $1.5 million fee to fight Carlos Quintana in a mostly empty arena in Florida. Berto knocked him out.

This series of events profited Berto, Mosley, Mayweather and Haymon, none of whom complained, all of whom could say that Haymon did his job and then some. But fans and some of the sport’s officials say boxing suffers from such lopsided matchups — the most common complaint against Haymon.

“Al Haymon is an enterprising young man,” King said. “He goes in with the cheaper price, without the responsibility. He’s not a bad guy. He seized an opportunity. He grasped the time. He chose fighters where he can pay less, not get more. But don’t blame Al Haymon for bad fights. Blame the enablers around him.”

Silence Is Golden

Late last month, Haymon traveled to Cincinnati, where Broner decimated an overmatched opponent in three rounds to capture the W.B.O.’s vacant junior-lightweight belt. On the same card, Russell needed but one round to score a knockout. Two fights, four rounds.

Haymon was front and center on the HBO telecast. To some, this appeared strategic.

On one side of him sat Berto, whose rematch against Victor Ortiz will take place on Showtime, not HBO, early next year. On the other side of Haymon sat Mayweather, his diamond watch sparkling under the lights. This scene — two easy victories over marginal opponents for his fighters; Haymon flanked by two prominent boxers he could shop to Showtime or to HBO —demonstrated his influence.

On that night, as on most nights, Haymon said nothing and somehow also said everything he needed to.

Jul 24, 2005
Pavlik could fight in March or April 14th; Chavez Jr. bout coming soon
February 27th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: It’s good to fight for Top Rank. Former WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (37-2, 32 KO’s) will be fighting either next month or on April 14th against possible opponent Scott Sigmon.

If Pavlik wins that fight in addition to another tune-up bout against a still to be determined opponent, Pavlik’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank plans on giving Pavlik a title shot against Arum’s gem moneymaker WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in either late 2012 or early 2013. Pavlik wants that fight badly, because he sees Chavez Jr. as a vulnerable fighter that he can beat with ease.

Pavlik, however, has to look good in his next two fights because he hasn’t exactly impressed since losing his WBC and WBO titles to Sergio Martinez in April 2010. Pavlik looked heavy, lethargic and slow in that fight and took a beating from Martinez. In his last fight last year in May, Pavlik struggled to defeat Alfonso Lopez by a 10 round majority decision.

In fairness to Pavlik, he had a fighter in front of him who was using a lot of movement and direction changing. However, Pavlik didn’t show any improvement from his loss to Martinez, and if Lopez had a little more going for him he would have won that fight. Pavlik now has a new trainer in Robert Garcia and new training digs in Oxnard, California. Supposedly, he’s improved on his game, but we won’t know that until he shows it in the ring in March or April.

According to 21 Sports, Pavlik prefers to get back in the ring next month rather than waiting until April 14th to fight on the undercard of the Brandon Rios vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa fight. I can’t blame him, because if he feels he’s ready now then it’s better to get back in the ring as soon as possible rather than waiting another month. Besides, Pavlik’s bout was rumored to be an off television bout, so there’s not a big upside to fighting on the Rios-Gamboa card if Pavlik’s fight isn’t even going to be televised. Pavlik wants his next fight to be in Las Vegas.

Dec 9, 2005
Pretty cool piece on Haymon. Saavy guy, but like the article stated...gets his guys low risk fights, and gobbles up a bunch of the network money in doing so, leaving us with more shitty cards. Good for his fighters, bad for fans.

Jul 24, 2005
Cleverly and Karpency share mutual respect; Warren eyes a boxing return to the Royal Albert Hall headlined by Cleverly

At a time when the public image of boxing was being thoroughly dragged through the mud, following their WBO world light-heavyweight title fight Nathan Cleverly and Tommy Karpency reminded many that respect is the fundamental element of the sport.

In the post-fight press conference both were keen to praise their opponent, an all too often rarity in other sports. Cleverly opened, “I think Tommy showed tonight why he’s sparred world class fighters. He’s very tough, he knows his way around the ring and he’s very relaxed. He’s got good power and he’s a tough fighter.”

“So, it shows that at world level you can’t take anyone for granted and Tommy showed that tonight, he was very tough, if I take my eye off the game then someone like Tommy can punish me. It’s important that I kept my eye on the game and at this level it’s crucial.” he continued.

“He was probably the toughest to fight over the 12 round distance. There’s a lot of fighters that are tough over the first 6 rounds, into the championship rounds they wilt, they go and fold. Tommy showed that he’s a 12 round fighter and at world level that’s the difference.”

Even though he was the away fighter, Karpency earned the admiration of the Welsh fight fans with his refreshingly respectful approach pre and post fight The American was grateful and commented, “I’ve travelled a few different places and I’ve been absolutely well received here. I actually enjoyed walking to the ring to hear the Welsh crowd cheering for Nathan, it’s a great experience and I’d love to come back here and fight again.”

He added, “It’s a great fight community here, the fans are into the fight and they also seem to be knowledgeable as well. They have a great champion, I was highly impressed by Nathan as well, it’s been a great experience all around.”

Despite not being given a round by any of the 3 judges, Karpency wasn’t bitter and he backs his conqueror to compete with the absolute elite of the division.

Karpency said, “No fighter I have been in with could walk over Nathan. After being in the ring with him for 12 rounds I believe that he could fight with anybody in the world.”

“He’s in top condition and he keeps a high work rate, he takes a good shot, I hit him with some good shots, he sucked them up when a lot of my shots have put guys down.”

“I think he can compete with the likes of anybody in the world, I think he would make a good fight for Hopkins or Dawson right now. He’s ready for anyone”

In front of a sell-out crowd of 5,000, it was Cleverly’s first fight in Wales for 4 years. He last boxed in Wales on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe’s super-middleweight unification with Mikkel Kessler at the Millennium Stadium in front of 55,000 fans.

Thankful for the support he received on Saturday, Cleverly said, “Regardless of the opponent tonight, it was the homecoming! That was what it was about for me - returning home after 4 years since we’ve had world title boxing in Wales.”

“The timing was absolutely spot on tonight to return home as world champion, the fans had value for their money tonight; it went the full distance so well done to Tommy on that.”

“Tommy came up to me in the end and said I’m capable of beating any opponent in the world, that was a great compliment from my opponent.”

Warren eyes a boxing return to the Royal Albert Hall headlined by Cleverly

Promoter Frank Warren says that Nathan Cleverly could defending his WBO world light-heavyweight title for the 4th time as boxing returns to London’s legendary Royal Albert Hall on April 28th.

It would be the first time boxing has been held at the venue this century, the last bout there was between Julius Francis and Danny Williams for the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles in 1999.

Speaking at the post fight press conference following Cleverly’s shut-out victory over Tommy Karpency on his homecoming to Wales, Warren believes that Cleverly is the best man to take boxing back to the Royal Albert Hall.

He said, ““There has been no professional boxing there for many, many years, it is probably the best venue in the country, the most prestigious venue. You could not get a better name and a better representative for British boxing than Nathan, to showcase professional boxing back there but we’ll sort that out in 1 or 2 days.”

Adding, ““I don't know if Nathan will be ready for that but I would not mind him being the guy to take boxing back there.”

If Cleverly was to fight on April 28th, it would coincide with Bernard Hopkins’ rematch with Chad Dawson in defence of his WBC world light-heavyweight title and Warren hinted of a more direct link between Cleverly and the big name American’s.

“Nathan is coming on in leaps and bounds and all our attention will now of course turn to April 28 and the Bernard Hopkins V Chad Dawson fight, then we will be making a big decision about a fight in the summer.” commented Warren.

'Nathan needs big fights, he rises to them and he has a fabulous temperament.

On being asked about the possibility, Cleverly seems keen to stay busy. He said, “I’ll be fine for April, I’ll be good. I can keep active and it won’t hurt as well, a few more fights as world champion to gain experience as world champion is good. “

Although no opponent is certain, Cleverly knows what he wants. He said, “It’s important that as world champion we get good quality fights, a world ranked opponent to keep my progression going as world champion ready for the step up to the unification fights.”

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: If the BBBofC ban me, I can still fight in another country
February 27th, 2012

By William Mackay: As a lot of boxing fans have already surmised, the British Boxing Board of Control won’t have much of an effect on former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye’s boxing career if they decide to not give Haye his boxing license back when he attempts to get it back to fight again in a fight against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. Haye says he’ll go outside of the country to box.

This obviously goes for Dereck Chisora, as well, who is facing a possible long suspension or a lifetime ban by the British Boxing Board of Control, in addition to the WBC. It looks like it doesn’t matter whether the WBC or the BBBofC take away Chisora or Haye’s license, they can always go outside of the country to get their fights. It obviously will hurt to not be able to fight in front of their fans, but neither of these guys can afford a long suspension or a lifetime ban.

Haye told The Sunday Showt “Vitali Klitschko doesn’t have a license with the British Boxing Board of Control, so if the British Boxing Board of Control were for instance to take away my license and ban me forever, it doesn’t mean I can’t box in another country.”

Haye won’t likely have problems getting his boxing license back if he can get the fight against Vitali that he’s been trying to get for the past few months. It’s a fight that means too much money for the UK, and it’s difficult to see Haye having problems getting his license back. Haye retired shortly after his loss to IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko last year, but now wants to come back for the Vitali fight. The only reason there are doubts about Haye getting it back is because of his altercation with Chisora at the Vitali-Chisora post fight press conference recently.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: I hit Chisora with my fist; I wasn’t drinking beer, only lemonade
February 27th, 2012

By William Mackay: Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye is denying that he hit Dereck Chisora with a bottle when he struck him after the Vitali Klitschko vs. Chisora fight last week at the after fight press conference in Munich, Germany. Haye also denies that he was drinking beer, saying it was a lemonade bottle he was holding.

Haye told That Sunday Night Show “It wasn’t a beer, either. It was a bottle of lemonade. It was a glass bottle but I didn’t hit him with that bottle. I hit him with my fist. If I’d had my mobile phone in my hand, it would have been my mobile phone. If I’d had a hotdog in my hand, it would have been. If I could rewind time, of course I wouldn’t go down there, but you can’t rewind time.”

A lot of boxing fans think Haye hit Chisora with a bottle, because there was a shattering sound the moment that Haye hit Chisora with a right hand to the jaw. Haye could have dropped the bottle a fraction of a second before he connected with a right hand, but because of the blurry video, it’s hard to see his right hand until after it had already connected to Chisora’s face. Chisora believes that Haye hit him with a bottle and this is why he kept saying “He glassed me” over and over again.

The outcome of this fight still has yet to be determined. Haye still needs to meet with the German police and there’s a question whether he’ll be allowed to get his boxing license back if and when he reapplies for it with the British Boxing Board of Control.

Chisora could face suspension by the WBC or British Boxing Board of Control, but it’s believed that Chisora likely won’t be permanently banned from the sport.

Feb 8, 2006
Lamont Peterson on CNN

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/25/sport/peterson-homeless-champion/index.html?iref=allsearch[/video]

[video]http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2012/02/27/nr-intv-homeless-to-champ.cnn.html[/video]

Jul 24, 2005
Arce hungry for Donaire

By Vitali Shaposhnikov: “I want this fight because I always fight the best and they say he's the best but I know I can beat him. I will prove to him, He has never fought a fighter like me. He is not a monster, I can beat him," replied Jorge Arce when asked why he wants to face Nonito Donaire.

"I don't know why they fought Vazquez when I beat Vazquez, they should have fought me, and they knew I wanted this fight. I don't know if it's him or his people but someone if afraid of me fighting Donaire," continued Arce.

(http://www.boxingsocialist.com/prof...-fight-donaire-in-the-philippines-if-he-wants)

As mentioned by Bob Arum before, Nonito will be facing Arce next. If this is indeed the case, and Arum decides to make his words a reality, then we might have a very exciting match-up in the works. Despite being listed as one of the top current pound-for-pound fighters in boxing, Donaire’s last two fights have proven to be a real challenge for the young Filipino.

Arce is definitely not a challenger that should be taken lightly, and is most certainly the kind of fighter that will deliver pressing action all through the fight no matter what is in his way. Donaire, is more of a technical boxer, taking his time and looking for mistakes in his opposition.

Two things we know about Arce: the first is that he has a well tested and proven granite chin, and second is that Arce has unparallel heart and spirit, and will come for you without a second thought.

Donaire has amazing lighting fast hand speed, respectable power, and a fairly developed ring I.Q.

I see this as an incredibly interesting, well worth the money (if shown on PPV) event. To be honest, I wouldn’t even know who to favor. Has Nonito ever faced anyone with similar offensive ability? Can he fight the entire fight while constantly moving back? I am not sure whether he can or can’t, but if facing Arce, he should definitely improve on that.

For Arce, it’s the speed he will have to deal with. Of course Arce will have to take a ton of punches before getting Donaire cornered or into the ropes, but over time it because very obvious that he has no problem wit getting hit.

For either fighter this would be a very rewarding victory.

Jul 24, 2005
Donaire vs. Mijares & Marquez vs. Gesta a possibility for July 14th
February 28th, 2012

By Chris Williams: WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (28-1, 18 KO’s) could be making his first defense of his newly won World Boxing Organization title on July 14th against former IBF/WBA/WBC super flyweight champion Cristian Mijares (44-6-2, 20 KO’s) on the undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez (53-6-1, 39 KO’s) vs. light welterweight contender Mercito Gesta (24-0, 12 KO’s), according to Steve Kim. The fight could take place in San Antonio, Texas.

Kim said “It looks like Nonito Donaire could be facing Cristian Mijares on July 14th, according to Bob Arum, underneath JMM [Juan Manuel Marquez]- Mercito Gesta.”

Donaire, 29, has been mentioned as possibly defending against the tough Victor Terrazaz. However, it may be that #2 WBC Terrazaz was considered too much of a threat to beating Donaire because he’s a solid super bantamweight with excellent power. Mijares, 30, is an odd but safe pick for Donaire because he’s not a huge puncher like Terrazaz and isn’t even ranked in the top 15 by any of the sanctioning bodies. Mijares has a fight coming up on April 14th against Cruz Carbajal and would have to get through that fight in order to get to a fight against Donaire.

I think this is a pretty sad fight because Donaire has said he only wants to fight the big names and doesn’t feel that Guillermo Rigondeaux is a big enough name for him. Well, Mijares isn’t anywhere close to being as good as Rigondeaux. Indeed, Mijares was completely blown out by Donaire victim Vic Darchinyan in November 2008, and then followed that loss by getting beaten twice in succession by Nehomar Cemeno in 2009. Mijares has won his last eight fights but none of them were big names.

The Marquez vs. Gesta fight is a real curiosity. Gesta, 24, is nowhere near as good as Marquez and this would be a terrible mismatch. Not only isn’t Gesta as good as Marquez, but he’s never going to be even close to being as good as him. Gesta is just a short, slow, head-handed fighter. I can’t remember ever seeing a fight where he looked good. He’s just a flawed fighter from top to bottom. Gesta is a Top Rank fighter, so it looks like Marquez might do Arum a big favor in facing Gesta in hopes of getting a fourth fight against Pacquiao. If Arum wants attention to Gesta, this is a way of getting but unfortunately it’ll be negative attention because Marquez will whip him bad.

Jul 24, 2005
Buddy McGirt Senior On What Makes A Great Boxing Trainer

By James Slater - James “Buddy” McGirt, the former light-welterweight and welterweight champion, began training amateur fighters even while he was still plying his trade in the ring. Eventually, after hanging up the gloves in 1997, McGirt made the transition into training full-time.

Becoming known and respected as one of the best young trainers on the scene, Buddy worked with top names such as the late Arturo Gatti, Paulie Malignaggi and Antonio Tarver. McGirt says the transition from fighter to trainer was never easy, but that time he spent around legendary old time trainers from a golden era proved invaluable. Some critics may say McGirt, who has certainly had his share of bad luck, with some of his bigger-name fighters losing, is not a great trainer - but it cannot be denied that Buddy is at the least a very fine trainer. Personally, I’d rank McGirt as such due solely to his great work with the late Gatti.

But what does McGirt himself feel makes a good/great trainer?

A while back I had the pleasure of asking him:

“Number one: you can’t baby a fighter,” McGirt said. “You cannot pamper a fighter. The thing is, the trainer should be the boss. This is how it used to be. But today, too many fighters call the shots. Guys like Futch and Arcel, and also George Benton - if they told the fighter to do something, the fighter did it. If a fighter argued or refused to follow orders, they walked away and never looked back. So I’d say respecting your trainer is a must. Take no shit! For example, my first trainer, Dominick, if he’d told me to stand on my head for an hour, I’d have done it.”

“But another thing you must have is patience: you must be patient with each fighter. Futch really taught me this. Not every guy can pick things up so quickly; they need time to adjust. You cannot expect every guy to develop at the same pace - some fighters adapt quicker.

“Never make excuses or accept excuses. Like if a guy doesn’t want to spar, or he doesn’t want to fight a certain opponent. So many fighters today make excuses - they say, “I don’t want to fight that guy, he’s too tall.” Excuses like that can’t be tolerated. Excuses from boxers to get out of training or to get out fighting a certain opponent turn my stomach. And the trainer is making excuses himself if he allows his fighter to get out of something he doesn’t want to do.

“Loyalty seems to be harder to come by from a fighter these days. What does a fighter do if he loses? He fires the trainer and gets himself a new one. That leaves the original trainer, the guy who invested time and money and interest in him, with nothing. The older fighter from years gone by never did that to Eddie Futch or Ray Arcel.”

“A fighter should never question what the trainer says. Doing that is disrespectful. I think the game has changed a lot today, in that there are too many fighters who are in charge, who do the training they want to do and no more. There was way more discipline years ago. The trainer was the boss, which is how it should always be.”

Jul 24, 2005
Maidana returning to light welterweight division
February 29th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Marcos Maidana (31-3, 28 KO’s) will be returning to the light welterweight division (140lbs) to resume defending his World Boxing Association title after having lost badly in his experiment in moving up in weight to fight Devon Alexander at 147 last Saturday night. Maidana, 28, was beaten by a shutout 10 round unanimous decision by Alexander, and was never competitive even for an instant.

According to Chris Robinson at examiner.com, Maidana said he felt “Weak” at 147, which would explain his last of punching power in the weight. It’s hard to understand where his power went because it was only a move up in weight of a mere seven pounds, not enough to have a major effect on his strength. However, what was likely the main reason for Maidana’s lack of strength was the way Alexander crowded him all night long forcing him to fight a lot closer than he’s used to. Maidana needed to be able to punch on the inside with little room and he wasn’t able to. Alexander wasn’t either, but he controlled the action from the outside with his fast hands and his hit and grab style. Maidana is going to need to learn how to deal with those types of fighters because he’ll likely be seeing a lot more of that in the future after other fighters watch the video of Maidana’s loss.

Maidana can still do a lot at 140. He’s going to have to defend his WBA title soon and it’s going to likely be the winner of the May 19th Lucas Matthysse vs. Humberto Soto fight. That’s not going to be easy for Maidana because both of those guys have superb boxing skills and aren’t likely going to be bowled over by Maidana. Matthysse fought a lot better against Alexander than Maidana did, and dominated him on the inside and wasn’t troubled in the least by Alexander’s attempts to grab him frequently.

Jul 24, 2005
Cotto: I am prepared for anything Mayweather does
February 28th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto believes he’s a changed fighter under the helm of Cuban trainer Pedro Diaz and sees himself as being able to give unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. his first loss of his career on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Cotto is a big underdog in this fight, but he doesn’t care because he believes he’s got the knowledge and ability to beat Mayweather.

Cotto said to ESPN “No matter which way Mayweather comes, I will prepare myself for anything he brings to the fight. If he decides to run or if he decides to stand and fight, I will be prepared…This is going to be my best and biggest victory for everyone to see on May 5.”

Wow! Cotto seems unusually confident going into this fight despite having faced no one of note since his one-sided beat down against Manny Pacquiao in 2009. You can say that was Cotto’s last real fight because his last three opponents have dealt with one kind of affliction or another that has left them short of what they once were at the time Cotto fought them. He fought Yuri Foreman with a bad right leg; 38-year-old past his prime Ricardo Mayorga and Antonio Margarito coming off of three eye surgeries. I’d say those guys weren’t what they once were by the time Cotto’s promoter Bob Arum matched them.

While I believe Cotto did a good job of finding answers to the banged up and old fighters that Arum hand-picked for him during the last two years, I don’t think Cotto can come up with any answers against a fighter of Mayweather’s quality. He’s not physically banged up or as hold as the hills, and that’s going to be a problem for Cotto. And I don’t see his Cuban trainer as having made enough of an impact on Cotto’s fighting style for him to beat guys that he just can’t physically beat like Mayweather. Cotto is still the same fighter that got beaten by Antonio Margarito in 2008. The only difference is he’s older now, trained by a different guy and coming off of three fights against limited guys. He’s not any better than he was before his beat down against Margarito. If anything, I believe he’s 80% of what he was back then.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather: Pacquiao has to leave Arum for a fight with me to happen
February 28th, 2012

By Chris Williams: At today’s New York press conference, Floyd Mayweather Jr. laid out the golden path for WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao to follow if he wants to get the riches and the attention that fight against him would bring him by losing his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank so the two fighters can finally get it on after all these years.

Mayweather said this about a potential fight with Pacquiao as quoted by ESPN “The only way I fight a guy [Pacquiao] with three losses and I don’t know how many draws, the only way that fight happens is he has to leave Bob Arum. And I’m not telling him to leave, because I know how the media is. They take your words and screw them up. They make it the way they want to make it.”

There it is, folks. All Pacquiao has to do is dump Arum and he’s got the fight with Mayweather. It makes a lot of sense. Mayweather obviously believes that Arum has been the one getting in the way of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight from being made, and hence with the 80-year-old Arum out of the way the fight could easily be made. Sounds good, because a lot of boxing fans believe that Arum is the one that doesn’t want the fight to be put together for fear of seeing his cash cow Pacquiao exposed by Mayweather, which could lead to Pacquiao getting diminishing returns in future pay-per-view bouts.

I mean, yeah, Pacquiao gets totally exposed by Mayweather and ends up getting knocked out out in the process. Who would want to PAY to see Pacquiao fight after Mayweather beats him? Not too many people I bet, and this is obviously why Mayweather wants Pacquiao to move away from Arum so he can try and get a fight put together without forces pulling the two fighters apart.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather: Pacquiao won’t be getting a 50-50 deal with me; no one will
February 28th, 2012

By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. laid down the law by telling Manny Pacquiao – and other future opponents that might want to fight him – that he won’t be getting a 50-50 deal if and when they fight in the future. That’s not happening, Mayweather Jr. said.

Mayweather was in New York today with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto to speak in their press conference to hype the May 5th date the two fighters have at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada in what will likely be a huge pay-per-view bout. It might be the biggest for Mayweather Jr. since his fight with Oscar De La Hoya in 2007, which hauled in a record 2.4 million PPV buys. Nothing has come close to that number since then.

Mayweather Jr. said this about a potential fight between him and Pacquiao: “Just speaking to Pacquiao on the phone. I mean, he’s not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer. He faces Floyd Mayweather, he’s not getting 50-50. Not at all. No one is getting 50-50.”

I don’t blame Mayweather Jr. for not giving Pacquiao a 50-50 purse split of the revenue because he’s clearly not fighting on the same level as Mayweather right now, and all Mayweather would be doing by agreeing to that would be awarding an arguably lesser fighter by giving him an equal share of the money.

I could see Pacquiao asking for a 50-50 deal when he was at his best in 2009, but the man has slipped a notch since then and doesn’t look the same. Mayweather hasn’t slipped at all as far as I can tell, and still looks like pure gold. You don’t give a lesser fighter an even deal when they’re not fighting on the same level. We saw that with his fight against Juan Manuel Marquez last November when Pacquiao went life and death with him and won a controversial decision that many boxing fans saw going the other way.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather: I’m not looking to cheat; I won’t fight Cotto at a catchweight
February 28th, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KO’s) used his New York City press conference on Tuesday with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO’s) to get in some more digs on WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao, saying he doesn’t want a catchweight to fight Cotto because he sees that as cheating. Mayweather also said Pacquiao needs to take the test, refereeing to a random blood test for performance enhancing drugs.

Mayweather said this during the press conference as quoted by fightnews.com “I’m not looking to chead. I tell Miguel Cotto I don’t want to fight you at a catch weight.I want to fight the best Miguel Cotto…Pacquiao is an amazing fighter, but all I’ve got to say is if you don’t got nothing to hide then take the test.”

That’s kind of the main things Mayweather was harping on. It was pretty much the same themes he’s been talking about for a while now, and I’m hoping he comes up with some new material in his next press conference because he’s repeating himself.

As for Cotto, he didn’t say much just talking about how he’s hoping the days pass quickly so he can fight Mayweather, and he wants to start training as soon as possible to get ready for their May 5th bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The tickets for this fight are sky high expensive. You got to have big bucks if you want to see this fight live. It seems like a better deal to watch on pay per view and save a lot of money and hassle.

Mayweather had to get a little stab in at Pacquiao in mentioning the catch weight, because Pacquiao fought Cotto in 2009 at a catchweight of 145lbs rather than the full weight, even though Cotto was the champion. Pacquiao wanted to fight Cotto for his next fight but Pacquiao wanted Cotto to come all the way down to 147 to make the fight and wasn’t willing to give him a slight catch weight to meet him at 150.