Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Vitali badly injured his left shoulder in 5th round against Chisora, possible torn tendon
February 19th, 2012

By Jim Dower: WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko completely dominated challenger Dereck Chisora for the first four rounds of the fight last Saturday night. However, from the 5th round on, Vitali stopped using his left hand and fought mostly with his right for the remainder of the bout.

According to German news publication Bild, Vitali badly injured his left shoulder in the 5th round, saying “I have no strength in my left arm.”

Vitali was able to beat Chisora with his right hand only, but it wasn’t easy and Vitali looked exhausted and weak by the end of the fight. He won by the scores of 118-110, 118-110 and 119-111. After the fight, Vitali went to the clinic Atos in Munich to have his shoulder examined with an MRI done on it. As of now, no surgery is required but it’s thought that Vitali injured a tendon in his shoulder.

Vitali’s trainer Fritz Sdunek told the Bild “Vitali’s left hand no longer worked as he wanted.”

Vitali previously tore up his left shoulder in his loss to Chris Byrd in April 2000, resulting in shoulder surgery for Vitali that kept him out of boxing for considerable amount of time.

Chisora seemed proud of his performance after the fight despite having been defeated. Unfortunately, the injury by Vitali will keep Chisora from getting the full credit he would have received had Vitali not been injured. But never the less, the fact remains that Vitali pretty dominated the entire fight using just his right hand after the 4th round and Chisora had no answers. He didn’t throw enough punches and missed with many of shots he did throw. He just didn’t have the talent to win, and his comments after the fight suggesting that he lost because lacked experience doesn’t give the true picture. It wasn’t about a lack of experience; it was about a lack of talent.

Experience won’t bring Chisora the talent to beat Vitali. He could beat him if the fight takes place in two or three years when the 40-year-old Vitali ages to the point where he’s no longer the fighter he once was. But right now, Chisora isn’t good enough as we saw last Saturday. Chisora and his promoter Frank Warren want a rematch with Vitali and/or a fight against Wladimir, but that’s not going to happen. Chisora needs to get some wins up his belt and it may take two to three more years before he gets another title shot given that this loss will likely knock Chisora out of the top 15 altogether.

Jul 24, 2005
Chisora released by police; Haye still being sought
February 19th, 2012

By Eric Thomas: Heavyweight title challenger Dereck Chisora was released today by the Munich, Germany police after seven hours of questioning stemming from his fight with former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye during the Vitali Klitshko – Chisora post fight press conference on Saturday night.

Haye, 31, is still being sought by the German police for questioning. Chisora could end up facing charges due to threats he made against Haye in which Chisora discussed the idea of wanting to shoot Haye after their brief fight. Haye will have to surface at some point for the questioning, as he can’t avoid it for long being a public figure.

The fight started with Haye showing up at the press conference and angrily asking Vitali why he wouldn’t fight him now. Chisora, perhaps not liking the idea of being upstaged in his 15 minutes of fame, told Haye to shut up and then asked him to fight him next instead of Vitali. Haye declined that offer by telling Chisora he was an unsuitable opponent because he had suffered too many recent losses Chisora has now lost three out of his last four fights.

Chisora took an attitude with being turned down by Haye and walked up on him. Haye, not wasting any time waiting for Chisora to say or do what he was going to do, went ahead and landed a clean right hand to the head of Chisora and then pulled him to the canvas. While Chisora was down, Haye, now standing over him, landed what appeared to be two elbows to the head. Haye was then pushed back and a brief scuffle broke out between Haye and what appeared to be Chisora’s trainer Don Charles. Haye could be seen landing a hard left hook to the head and then picking up a camera tripod and throwing at Chisora and his team. Haye’s own trainer/manager Adam Booth was hit by the camera tripod accidentally when he got in the line of fire, cutting him badly above his left eye.

After the violence was broken up, Chisora mentioning wanting to shoot and burn Haye while Chisora’s team members attempted to settle him down

Jul 24, 2005
Dereck Chisora vs David Haye: Exciting But an Embarrassment to British Boxing

by thomas hill

rformance, yet less than 12 hours later I've awoken to a story which should make most boxing fans cringe.

Through the night we covered the unfolding story of David Haye and Dereck Chisora going to war at the post-fight press conference. This morning I've had time to take it all in and read all of the thoughts of the readers here at Bad Left Hook.

Before I ramble on about the disgraceful behaviour of all parties, I'd to make a point about the performance of Chisora. Despite having little experience and very little practice against the world elite he did himself proud. He never gave in and constantly came forward. Yes he got beat and deservedly so, but at least he stood there and basically said, "Let's have it." I'd much rather see people like Chisora than the likes of Samuel Peter, Tomasz Adamek and Shannon Briggs.

As for the aftermath, pre-fight and anything not in the ring, well that's a totally different ball game.

Star-divide

Dereck Chisora's antics outside the ring overshadow his efforts in the ring. In six months time what are the general public going to remember? That lad from Finckley who did himself proud against a world champion? Or a mad man threatening to shoot people? We know the answer there.

I didn't want to look at the past problems these two have had, but how can I not, as it adds to the argument that these two clearly have issues. In the past Chisora has kissed and bitten opponents, this weekend he's reached a whole new level with slapping and spitting. Haye himself hasn't had problems in the past similar to last night, but he's always running his mouth off and in his last fight got silenced well and truly.

People will tell me to lighten up and that it's all about creating some hype for the sport, but there is a line and the pair plus their teams crossed the line last night. David Haye for some reason was allowed into the post-fight press conference, and his sole aim was to goad a fight with Vitali Klitschko, after Haye claimed they've agreed to a deal but Bernd Boente is the reason for it stalling. Then after yet again running his mouth off he managed to enrage Chisora to come to the floor, where the pair exchanged words before Haye threw the first punch.

The claim is that Haye glassed Chisora, but according to Ron Lewis of the Times newspaper this was not the case as he tweeted after the fiasco.

"Haye throws first punch with hand holding a bottle of lemonade (although he did not glass him as Chisora claimed) Brawl starts..."

I don't want to bore you with the minor details as I'm sure you know the story and if not you can see the video I linked earlier. But the actions of Chisora were nothing short of disgraceful. Threatening to 'shoot a man' or even 'burn him' if he doesn't get a fight is pure thuggery and sets a shocking example to the future of the sport. As a fan of football and rugby league over in the UK, I appreciate the sport of boxing and love the fact it's a sport with respect running through its core.

As usual Frank Warren was trying to use the situation to set-up a new fight but I think the two will be lucky to escape punishment. With the world focusing on the UK for the Olympics it sets a bad example for the country, but mainly it gives boxing a bad name. It reminded me of WWE, a fake sport with absurd story-lines and constant drama. I'll agree with those saying it increases the popularity of the sport and there will be more attention...but not for the right reasons. The incident has left British boxing trying to put a hand over its face.

As for the future, they'll probably get it on in the ring, if Haye gets that far after Chisora's threats. The public will demand the fight and it will get British boxing talking again, but I can see the Board of Control having something to say about all of this. They're the ones who need to dish the punishments (and maybe the German police) and it'll be interesting to see if they grant Haye a licence to box again (don't forget he will need a new one after letting his old licence lapse).

Chisora needs help. You can't go around threatening to kill people, and in stepping up the boxing ladder he seems to be disgracing himself at every opportunity. Some boxing experts and fans are demanding the pair never get the chance to fight again, but we know that won't happen. The heavyweight division needs a kick up the arse once more and last night it got more than it needed to kick it into life.

The whole thing takes the attention off the fight itself. Dereck Chisora did himself proud. The boxing world could be talking about him in a positive light this morning if he'd have shown respect after losing, and told David Haye what he thought and left it at that. Haye had his chance and was a shambles in July and should deal with it. He's not a leading British icon like he once was (or thought he was). The country put faith in him and he let everyone down. His failure to deal with his loss is laughable. Why should he fight Vitali? And this isn't a personal attack on Haye, I guess, but more a fan who was just devastated by his performance in Germany.

The real question, though, is who came out of this with any respect? Well who else but the Klitschkos? They're classed as boring and sometimes they are, but their attitude and actions epitomise what boxing is all about. As the action unfolded they stood there smiling, laughing and most of all stunned at the performance. They looked professional and as surprised as everyone else.

I know the general boxing fans aren't going to agree with me, they're going to read this and tell me to lighten up and shut up moaning. I love a tear-up, a brawl, and I appreciate it, in the ring. The American fight fans will probably take to Chisora a little more now, he's brash and could be dubbed as the British version of Mike Tyson. But as a British boxing fan I was ashamed, and you can call me boring all you like. It was pure thuggery, classless and a shocking example to the kids of the future, for a sport which has respect as one of its main principles.

Jul 24, 2005
Chisora facing possible loss of boxing licence for brawl
February 19th, 2012

By William Mackay: Former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Dereck Chisora (15-3, 9 KO’s) is facing a possible permanent loss of his boxing license by the British Boxing Board of Control, who are investigating Chisora’s actions during his post fight press conference last Saturday night in Munich, Germany, in which Chisora and David Haye were involved in a brawl.

There is a potential that Chisora could receive a lifetime ban by the BBBofC due to his comments made during the press conference where he said he wanted to shoot and burn Haye after being punched by him. Those are obviously very serious threats to make when it involves a possible life endangering threat.

Since Friday, Chisora has shown some very questionable behavior, slapping Vitali across the face during the weigh-in on Friday, spiting water in Wladimir Klitschko’s face before the fight, and then the final straw when Chisora got up during the post-fight press conference and walked into the crowd to dare Haye to tell him that he didn’t want to fight him. Haye punched Chisora at that point, which ignited a brawl. Chisora shouldn’t have gotten out of his seat to walk up on Haye, especially when Haye already threatened to give Haye “Two slaps” during the same press conference. Haye obviously couldn’t dismiss this as just idle chatter because Chisora had shown himself to capable of assaulting an opponent when he slapped Vitali without warning last Friday.

In the past, Chisora has bitten an opponent during a fight and kissed another hard on the mouth during a face to face meeting. The latter two incidents won’t be what the BBBofC will be looking into during their investigation but it shows you that Chisora can be very unpredictable at time. When you listen to him talk, he comes across as being quite intelligent, but he’s got a hot temper and seems to make decisions without thinking things through. He may have seen the Vitali slap and Wladimir water spitting as something that would help his career. But if so, he misjudged it because he reportedly was fined by the WBC for the Vitali slap. and he could end up losing his boxing license for the brawl with Haye. Chisora would obviously relocate to another country if he lost his boxing license, so it wouldn’t be the end of his career or anything.

In another front, the German Boxing Federation is looking to have Chisora banned from fighting in Germany. That’s a big deal because it would make it very difficult for him to fight the Klitschkos again because they as champions wouldn’t likely be agreeable to fighting Chisora, a mere contender, in the UK

Jul 24, 2005
Haye to Boente: “I knocked Chisora out”
February 20th, 2012

By Sean McDaniel: In looking at new video of the brawl that took place on Saturday night after WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko defeated Dereck Chisora in Munich, Germany, David Haye was seen laughing with Klitschko manager Bernd Boente moments after Haye’s fistfight with Chisora had ended.

After Haye and Chisora were separated, Haye walked over to Boente and said “I knocked him [Chisora] out,” at which Boente was seen laughing.

In brawl, Chisora walked up on Haye to confront him and was immediately dropped with a right hand to the head. There may have been a bottle in Haye’s hand when he landed the punch. After Chisora got up, he kind of kept a respectful distance from Haye while Chisora’s trainer Don Charles attempted to mix it up and got tagged by a nice right hand from Haye.

After walking away from Boente, Haye said “Keep this guy [Chisora] away from me. I’m not going to lose by [boxing] license over you.”

It’s interesting that Haye and Boente were seemingly enjoying the brawl after it had ended because Chisora was irate at having gotten the worst of it. I don’t think he landed anything from what I could see, and it looked bad him on the ground.

It looked like Chisora was going to try and get a reaction of Haye when he walked up to him and question him about why he wouldn’t fight him. Haye was no doubt concerned about Chisora perhaps sucker slapping him the way he had done with Vitali a day earlier on Friday when Chisora slapped Vitali during the weigh-in without warning. Chisora said he was going to give Haye two slaps and Haye didn’t seem willing to wait to see what Chisora would do, as he landed a right hand almost the instant Chisora got to him. Strangely enough, Chisora was still trying to arrange a fight with Haye after the brawl by talking to Haye’s manager/trainer Adam Booth to see if he could make it possible. It looked bad.

Feb 8, 2006
EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: ANTHONY DIRRELL
By John McCormick

JM: Rumor has it that Andre Ward may be vacating the WBC super middleweight title. You are the mandatory challenger for that title. I see that there have been some words exchanged with Carl Froch and yourself on Twitter, with the possibility of you and him fighting if the title becomes vacant. What is going on with all of that?

Anthony Dirrell: I am ready for everything. I am ready to prove myself to Carl Froch and whoever that I will be a champion. It doesn't matter if it is Carl Froch or Ward, I am ready to fight.

JM: In the recent weeks it seemed as if Carl Froch and IBF champion Lucian Bute were looking to fight each other. Do you believe you would be more of a threat to Froch than Bute would?
I definitely think so. Lucian Bute is a hell of a fighter but I am the better opponent for him. He beat my brother [Froch won a very controversial decision against Andre Dirrell in 2009 that many believed Dirrell won] and I want to get vengeance back for that and prove to the world that I can be a world champion. Like I said, I am ready to get in there and fight one of these so called world champions to prove my point.

JM: What do you see in Froch that you would look to exploit in the ring?
Anthony Dirrell: Froch has a couple of weaknesses that I could exploit. I don't want to give up what my game plan would be. He would definitely see what I am talking about if we get in the ring though. For right now we are going to keep that with our camp. We will exploit him.

JM: Have negotiations begun for a fight with you and Carl Froch or is it strictly speculation as of now?
Anthony Dirrell: It is speculation as of now. Nothing has been written down yet, and we haven't talked yet. I am definitely ready to fight whether it's Ward or Froch.

JM: Based on their styles of fighting, whom do you think you would be more of a threat to, Ward or Froch?
Anthony Dirrell: It really doesn't matter. They are both champions or have been champions. I would probably go with Froch, based on his style, he comes to fight and that's what I do, I come to fight.

JM: Any closing thoughts for the fans?
Anthony Dirrell: Look for me coming for that WBC title. I am soon to be a champion. That is what I am looking for, that is what my camp is looking for, that is our goal, and that is what we are going to do. Thank you to all my fans, and make sure to follow me on twitter C @chrome Dirrell.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye gives his side of the story about brawl in Munich
February 20th, 2012

By Sean McDaniel: Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye finally came out with his version of what happened last Saturday night in the Vitali Klitschko – Dereck Chisora post fight press conference brawl in Munich, Germany.

Haye pretty much went over the obvious points, Chisora making a threat that he was going to slap him twice, and then walking up to confront Haye resulting in a fight. There wasn’t much for Haye to explain other than why he chose to interrupt the press conference, why he appeared to hit Chisora with a bottle, and why he took off afterwards without being interviewed by the German police in Munich.

The points Haye covered in explaining himself were as such:

* He didn’t say anything during the Klitschko-Chisora post fight press conference until Klitshko manager Bernd Boente mentioned his name and started making comments. At that point, Haye chose to speak up and ask Vitali why he wasn’t going to fight him next.

* Chisora interrupted the conversation between Haye and Boente, insulting Haye and saying he was going to give him “Two slaps.” Chisora then took his jacket off and walked over to confront Haye. This led to “disturbance,” Haye says. Haye then battled both Chisora and his trainer Don Charles briefly.

* Haye feels Chisora initiated the altercation by walking up on him with two of members of his entourage.

* Chisora made threats of wanting to shoot Haye after their altercation.

* Haye decided to leave Munich, Germany during that night rather than risk running to Chisora again.

* Haye says he’ll help with the investigation and is ready to answer questions.

It obviously would have been better had Haye not chosen to show up at the press conference because him being there was going to lead to him being criticized heavily, because he’s the one that wants to fight Vitali next. Chisora was trying to make a case for himself getting a rematch with Vitali after fighting him competitively for 12 rounds. Haye taking over the press conference with his back and forth argument with Klitschko manager Boente kind of took Chisora away from being able to speak. This was Chisora’s big opportunity and he no doubt took issue with Haye appearing to hijack his moment.

This obviously played a HUGE part in Chisora angrily getting up to confront Haye. Previous to this, Chisora’s trainer Don Charles had already asked for Haye to be removed from the ring by security. However, the security failed to do anything and Haye was able to continue to talk back and forth with Boente. From Chisora’s perspective, his moment was ruined and he had to sit back and watch Haye take his opportunity away. You can kind of understand his frustration given that he’s never fought for a world title before and he was being sidelined by Haye taking over the press conference. In hindsight, the security should have ushered Haye out of there because there’s no telling how long the discussion would have went on before Haye finally quieted down. He seemed agitated and it probably wasn’t going to end well even without the brawl.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao: I asked for a 50-50 deal with Mayweather and said I would agree to the blood testing but he wouldn’t do it
February 20th, 2012

By Chris Williams: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is still talking about his failed negotiations for a mega fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., complaining to Yahoo Sports that Mayweather didn’t want to accept his offer of a 50-50 deal plus the pay-per-view money.

Mayweather offered Pacquiao a hefty $40 million to make the fight, which way above any payday that the congressman Pacquiao has ever got and probably will ever hope to get during his boxing career. But instead of seeing the logic in taking the offer, Pacquiao refused and now is having to settle for much, much less than that against Timothy Bradley on June 9th in a fight that Pacquiao could very lose.

Pacquiao told Yahoo Sports “I told him, ‘OK, 50-50 and I’ll agree to everything else. I told him I would agree to all of the other things he was demanding. Everything. Even the blood testing he wanted, I would do it. But it had to be 50-50. He talks, he says all this, but you know what: He doesn’t want the fight. I want the fight. I’m the one who has wanted this fight all along.”

Oh, so Pacquiao finally agreeing to the blood testing. It took him long enough. He had the chance to make the fight with Mayweather Jr. in 2010 but wanted a long non-testing period of over three weeks before the fight. What in the world is that? Three and half weeks of no testing before the fight. I’m not surprised the fight didn’t happen. But now that Pacquiao is saying yes to the testing two years later, it’s too late to get that same 50-50 deal for the money because Pacquiao looks to have slipped a couple of notches and won a fight in his last bout looked like a textbook version of a gift decision in his fight against 38-year-old lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez.

This is the same Marquez that Mayweather completely shut out two years ago when Marquez was a little younger, but Pacquiao went life and death with Marquez, winning for the second time in a row a controversial decision. I’d say that Pacquiao doesn’t deserve a 50-50 deal, because Mayweather is clearly at the top of his game, while Pacquiao has clearly slipped and is fading fast.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Pacquiao: I asked for a 50-50 deal with Mayweather and said I would agree to the blood testing but he wouldn’t do it
February 20th, 2012

By Chris Williams: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is still talking about his failed negotiations for a mega fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., complaining to Yahoo Sports that Mayweather didn’t want to accept his offer of a 50-50 deal plus the pay-per-view money.

Mayweather offered Pacquiao a hefty $40 million to make the fight, which way above any payday that the congressman Pacquiao has ever got and probably will ever hope to get during his boxing career. But instead of seeing the logic in taking the offer, Pacquiao refused and now is having to settle for much, much less than that against Timothy Bradley on June 9th in a fight that Pacquiao could very lose.

Pacquiao told Yahoo Sports “I told him, ‘OK, 50-50 and I’ll agree to everything else. I told him I would agree to all of the other things he was demanding. Everything. Even the blood testing he wanted, I would do it. But it had to be 50-50. He talks, he says all this, but you know what: He doesn’t want the fight. I want the fight. I’m the one who has wanted this fight all along.”

Oh, so Pacquiao finally agreeing to the blood testing. It took him long enough. He had the chance to make the fight with Mayweather Jr. in 2010 but wanted a long non-testing period of over three weeks before the fight. What in the world is that? Three and half weeks of no testing before the fight. I’m not surprised the fight didn’t happen. But now that Pacquiao is saying yes to the testing two years later, it’s too late to get that same 50-50 deal for the money because Pacquiao looks to have slipped a couple of notches and won a fight in his last bout looked like a textbook version of a gift decision in his fight against 38-year-old lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez.

This is the same Marquez that Mayweather completely shut out two years ago when Marquez was a little younger, but Pacquiao went life and death with Marquez, winning for the second time in a row a controversial decision. I’d say that Pacquiao doesn’t deserve a 50-50 deal, because Mayweather is clearly at the top of his game, while Pacquiao has clearly slipped and is fading fast.
That's a very biased article. There is no logic in taking 40 million when your pay per view numbers are in the same ball park and your rank in the sport is in the same ball park. If he really did ask for 50 50, and Floyd said no, I blame it on Floyd. But both these niggas actin like little faggots so fuck both of them.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
If he really did ask for 50 50, and Floyd said no, I blame it on Floyd
Me too!

1st round of negotiations it was Pacquiao's fault.
2nd round of negotations it was Mayweather's fault.

Pacquiao finally comes out from behind Arum and says 50-50 we have a fight and Floyd says no.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Pac doesn't deserve 50/50 after his 3rd fight with jmm....
Floyd supposedly offered Manny $40 million (with no pay per view)? If so, what a ripoff of an offer!! This fight is expected to break records in terms of pay per view sales and Floyd offers no pay per view? So Manny doesn't get any cut at all? I agree with Pacquiao, who would take that offer? Looks like Floyd didn't want it and priced himself right out of the fight.

Jul 24, 2005
Cloud: I wasn’t bothered by Campillo’s style; just the blood in my eyes
February 21st, 2012

By Dan Ambrose: Undefeated IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KO’s) got more than what he bargained for last Saturday night in beating #3 IBF ranked contender Gabriel Campillo (21-4-1, 8 KO’s) by a somewhat controversial 12 round split decision at the American Bank Center, Corpus Christi, Texas.

The judges scored it 115-111 for Campillo, 116-110 and 114-112 for Cloud. I had Cloud winning by a 116-110 margin as well. Campillo was knocked down twice in the 1st round and came back to win a lot of rounds, but he faded badly in the 11th and 12th rounds and let the fight slip away.

Cloud seemed bothered by Campillo’s workrate and southpaw stance, because he was hit quite a bit by him and problems until Cloud stopped throwing as many punches late in the fight.

Cloud told Ringtv “I don’t think it was his style [that bothered him], because I think it was the blood in my eyes. I could still see and I could still catch him with jabs and land shots.”

I think Cloud is kidding himself here. He was having problems against Campillo long before he was cut in the 4th round. Cloud started having difficulties with Campillo starting in the 2nd round when the Spaniard started opening up with his combination punching, catching Cloud frequently with hard uppercuts. Cloud is just lucky that Campillo didn’t have a lot of power and let off frequently. It seemed like each time Campillo would open up with a salvo of punches, Cloud would stop throwing shots and just back off. A bigger puncher and/or a someone that won’t stop throwing shots would give Cloud a really tough time. He’s quite lucky that Campillo wasn’t that fighter because I think Cloud would have lost. As it is, Cloud seems very vulnerable and not someone that will hold down the IBF belt for a long period of time. I can see Cloud losing to Chad Dawson and Ismayl Sillakh if he ever faces those guys.

Jul 24, 2005
Booth: Haye not interested in Chisora bout; wants only the Klitschko brothers
February 21st, 2012

By Sean McDaniel: Adam Booth, the trainer/manager for David Haye, says they have no interest whatsoever in facing recently beat Dereck Chisora (15-3, 9 KO’s). They want one of the Klitschko brothers next otherwise Haye will stay in retirement permanently.

Booth told the BBC Radio Five “David is still retired; he has no plans to fight again. He’s always said the only people he would come out to fight is one of the Klitschko brothers and what happened on Saturday night doesn’t change that one bit.”

What Booth is referring to is the fight that took place between Haye and Chisora at the Vitali-Chisora post fight press conference in Munich, Germany. It started with Haye showing up at the post fight press conference and asking Vitali why he wouldn’t fight him. He was rebuffed by Klitschko manager Bernd Boente, who said they were no longer interested in fighting him. Boente then suggested that Haye fight Chisora. Haye said wasn’t interested in fighting anyone with “three consecutive losses” like Chisora. That angered Chisora, who got up, took off his jacket and walked up to Haye to dare him to say that to his face. Haye immediately punched Chisora rather than waiting to see what he would do. Haye may have been worried about being sucker punched or slapped by him the way that Vitali was slapped without warning the day before. When things settled down, Chisora repeatedly said he wanted to shoot Haye. At that time, Haye made a quick exit to get far away from Chisora.

A lot of boxing fans are now interested in seeing Haye and Chisora mix it up in the ring. However, Haye isn’t one of them, still only wanting the Klitschko brothers and not someone who has lost three out of his last four bouts like Chisora. To be honest, it’s probably not even a doable fight right now because Chisora could lose his boxing license to fight in the UK if the British Boxing Board of Control takes it away for Chisora’s actions during and before the press conference.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Mexico vs Philippines, July 14th Cowboys stadium.

So this is what The Bobfather is working on. Nothing is signed but this event will happen.

Juan Manuel Marquez vs TBA (Most likely Mercito Gesta (24-0))
Nonito Donaire vs Victor Terrazas
Brian Viloria (rumored) vs TBA

It's not too bad, but shouldn't be any surprises here. Marquez & Donaire should look great. I guess Jorge Arce isn't ready to fight Donaire yet.

Jul 24, 2005
Shane Mosley: “With a win over Canelo Alvarez I will then have the world title and I can definitely do a rematch with Cotto or a rematch with Mayweather”

by Geoffrey Ciani (Exclusive Interview by Jenna J & Geoffrey Ciani) - The most recent edition of On the Ropes Boxing Radio featured an exclusive interview with former three division champion Sugar Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs), who is scheduled to challenge WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KOs) on May 5. Mosley spoke about his upcoming fight with Alvarez and also discussed his future while providing opinions on the current landscape, including his views on the upcoming Mayweather-Cotto and Pacquiao-Bradley fights. Here is a complete transcript from that interview:

JENNA J: Let’s move things over to our final guest of this week’s show. He’s a returning one making his eighth appearance to On the Ropes Boxing Radio. We’re joined once again by the former three division world champion Sugar Shane Mosley. How’s everything going today Shane?

SHANE MOSLEY: I’m doing very well. I’m doing very good.

JENNA: Alright well Shane, let’s talk about the big news involving you that came out just this past week. You’ll be facing off against Saul Alvarez on the May 5 under card of Cotto versus Mayweather. How do you feel about the fight?

MOSLEY: Yeah I’m looking forward to the fight and it should be a good one.

JENNA: Okay so Shane, what do you think about the chance you’re getting to face a young champion like Saul Alvarez?

MOSLEY: I’m very excited and very happy that I’ve been given this opportunity. I’m looking to seize the opportunity to get myself another belt, to get back into contention, and fight these fights that I know I want to fight.

JENNA: Shane, so far with what you’ve seen from Saul Alvarez, what do you think about him as a fighter?

MOSLEY: My thoughts on Canelo Alvarez, I think he’s a great young up and coming emerging champion and future Hall of Famer hopefully. I know he’s been training very hard and will try to win the fight.

JENNA: Now Shane, do you think Golden Boy Promotions is giving you this opportunity because they feel that maybe you’re not the same fighter that you used to be?

MOSLEY: I don’t know what their motives are, but I know basically Golden Boy Promotions and I think they’re a great promotional company and I’m happy to have the opportunity to get into the ring and fight with a young warrior like Canelo Alvarez.

JENNA: Okay but do you think they might be underestimating you to put you in with such a young champion like Canelo?

MOSLEY: I don’t know if that really matters whether they are underestimating me or not. The only thing that matters to me is getting into the ring and getting the victory.

JENNA: Okay well Shane, let’s talk about the last time we saw you in the ring. You had the chance to meet up with the pound-for-pound number one guy in the world at the time, Manny Pacquiao, and for whatever reason things did not go your way that night. Why do you think that was?

MOSLEY: Well there are a lot of things that people don’t know. Before I fought Pacquiao I had a bad Achilles, or I popped my Achilles in January, early January. I had the fight down and I thought maybe I could weather the storm, but I had to fight him in May. Some people, the doctors kept telling me, don’t even walk until May with that type of injury. But I was able to fight Pacquiao and go twelve rounds. When I was in the corner with Nazim Richardson and I was telling him, “You know what’s wrong, I can’t move”. He knew what I was talking about, but he was saying, “I know you got it in you! Keep going! Keep going! I know that have the Achilles that popped”. I was telling him I had blisters on my right foot and my Achilles is popped on my left foot and he knows what’s going on with me. That’s why he kept saying, “I know you got in you! Just go out there and keep going because you got it in you!” So I said alright and I just kept going, but I was very badly hurt in that fight. I was very badly wounded. I wasn’t 100%, but this time unfortunately for Saul Alvarez I will be 100% and it will be a different fight.

JENNA: So Shane what you’re saying is the reason you were unable to get off with your shots was because of your Achilles injury?

MOSLEY: Yeah. Being that me throwing punches would have left me open if I would have tried to come to Pacquiao and tried to step forward, when you have a bad Achilles we all know that you can’t spring off your feet as fast as you want to. So I was a step behind Pacquiao and I underestimated Pacquiao’s power. I didn’t think that he would be able to knock me down, and he was able to. Me trying to just throw punches and throw caution to the wind would have been a bad idea, so I had to use my experience and get through the fight, which I did.

JENNA: Shane you mentioned getting through the fight. At one point you did ask your trainer to stop the bout. How bad was the pain for you to feel like you could no longer continue?

MOSLEY: I just told you what happened. Do you want me to repeat it? What happened was I told Nazim to stop the fight because he knew that I had a bad Achilles and that I couldn’t move. I told him, I said, “I can’t move, so you know what I’m talking about”. But he said, “No! You got it in you, so keep going!” Because my Achilles was popped I couldn’t move to my left, and I blisters and a cut on my right side. So I couldn’t move and I was at very much of a disadvantage, but I just kept going.

JENNA: Alright well Shane, now that you feel that you’re 100% ahead of this fight with Alvarez, what things do you think you will need to be able to do to be successful in your return to 154 pounds?

MOSLEY: I think that I need to make sure that I’m in great shape, make sure that I’m able to punch very hard and be very fast, and I know that I have a lot of experience. I’ve been fighting longer than Alvarez has been alive. So I think that I have a pretty good advantage over Alvarez, even though his advantage is being younger. Actually you know what’s funny? What’s funny is my son is the same age as Alvarez. My son is 21 and Alvarez is 21. That should be pretty interesting.

JENNA: Alright well Shane I’m also on the line with my Co-Host and Producer, Geoffrey Ciani.

GEOFFREY CIANI: Hey Shane. It’s a pleasure to have you back on the show.

MOSLEY: Thank you! Thank you I appreciate it.

CIANI: Shane when people think about your big victories, they talk about your fights with De La Hoya and your fight with Margarito, but one of your most underrated victories I think was your fight with Luis Collazo, where a lot of fans were counting you out and you kind of surprised the boxing world with how impressive you were. Do you think you can put on that same type of performance against Alvarez and surprise fans in the same way you did with Collazo?

MOSLEY: Hopefully I can put in a better performance than I did with Collazo, even though Collazo was a great performance and he was a great young fighter, and prospect, and I think world champion. But I think for this fight I should be able to put on an even better performance and just make my name even bigger. Every time people keep counting me out, and here I am I’m coming right back! I’m just excited to be able to get this opportunity to fight a young tiger like Canelo Alvarez.

CIANI: Now what did you think about Alvarez in his last performance, his victory against Kermit Cintron?

MOSLEY: Well I had the opportunity of working with Kermit Cintron and I knew his mindset. I knew where he was at mentally. I think Alvarez got hit with a lot of shots by Kermit Cintron, and taking nothing away from Kermit, but like I said mentally he wasn’t there. He was afraid of Canelo. I know if Kermit can hit Alvarez with that many shots that I’m going to be able to hit him with a lot of shots, and I hit a little harder than Kermit.

CIANI: Alright now Shane, when Alvarez fights for a young guy he tends to get a little gun shy at times, where he doesn’t fight with a lot of youth and energy and he is kind of more like a poised veteran inside the ring. Do you think he will come out and be uncharacteristically more aggressive in his fight against you being you’re now 40 years old?

MOSLEY: I would like for him to fight aggressively, but slowing the fight down to a more experienced pace—I’ve been in the ring with a lot of different fighters, but slowing the pace down will only hurt him. So I would expect him to try and pick up the pace, and that might hurt him too as well, because I’m looking to have a great night May 5 against Canelo Alvarez.

CIANI: Okay Shane. The main event on the card you’re fighting in is of course the fight with Mayweather and Cotto, two former opponents of yours. Having been in the ring with both of those guys, what do you think about this fight?

MOSLEY: I think it’s absolutely a great fight. I think Miguel Cotto, a lot of people underestimate his jab and underestimate his punches and stuff. I think Cotto is a very good opponent for Mayweather. I mean like everybody else I would have loved to have seen him in there against Manny Pacquiao, but if you had a second fight Miguel Cotto is definitely a great fight for him. I think it should be an interesting fight.

CIANI: Now continuing with Cotto, one fight I always wanted to see a rematch for was your fight against Miguel. For whatever reason that just never came to be, but at any point did it ever seem like that rematch was going to become a possibility for you?

MOSLEY: No it didn’t, but I’m looking forward to that match too as well. A rematch with Cotto would definitely be great! You know with a win over Canelo Alvarez I will then have the world title and I can definitely do a rematch with Cotto or a rematch with Mayweather.

CIANI: Alright Shane, you brought up a moment ago that you would have preferred to see Pacquiao and Mayweather square off. But Pacquiao now has a different fight of his own and he’ll be taking on undefeated Timothy Bradley. I’m just curious what do you think about this one?

MOSLEY: Hey I think that’s a great fight as well. Timothy Bradley is a young warrior. The only concern is if Timmy can take Pacquiao’s punches. If Timmy can take Pacquiao’s punches it’s going to be a great night of fighting. If he can’t, because Timothy is very aggressive, then Pacquiao is going to win obviously. But if Timothy can take his punch pretty good and can weather the storm, they both have the same amount of energy, they throw a lot of punches, and it’s going to be an exciting fight. I can’t wait to see that fight just to see how Timothy fares. I think Timothy is a great fighter and I think the world of him. I think he’s a good fighter, a great fighter I should say. So I think all of the matches are good leading up to the next big fight.

JENNA: Alright well Shane we just have a couple of more questions before we let you off the line. Boxing fans now are starting to suggest that Manny Pacquiao is on the decline based on the fact that in his fight with you he had some trouble dealing with you turning him. He looked less effective, and then in his following fight with Marquez he struggled quite a bit and some people arguably felt that he lost. I’m curious do you think he’s on the decline?

MOSLEY: No I don’t think he’s on the decline. I think there were certain things that I did in that fight that Marquez used, and there were certain things that Marquez did in his fights before I fought Pacquiao that I used that kind of nullified Pacquiao’s punches if you will. But I don’t believe he’s going down or anything. I just think when you’re a skilled fighter a lot of times you start figuring them out, especially with Marquez. Marquez fought the guy three times and started figuring him out. I’m sure if I fought Pacquiao again it would be a whole lot different. I would be 100% and I won’t be just out there fighting. With this fight right here with Canelo I’m going to show different things that wasn’t the Sugar Shane that everybody was used to seeing. When they see this fight, when I do what I do, then I can move on to the next fight. In the next fight I can start where I want to be at. I have confidence in that! I have confidence that I’m going to win the fight and I’m confident that it’s going to be a spectacular night.

JENNA: Okay well Shane, your last two losses are against the top fighters pound-for-pound in the world today. But if somehow in your fight with Saul Alvarez you come out on the losing end, do you think that might be a sign to you that you should think about hanging up the gloves?

MOSLEY: I really don’t think I’m going to lose. I don’t have any doubt in my mind that I’m going to win this fight pretty good. But yeah, I mean if that was to happen depending on how it happens because anything can happen in the ring, but depending on how it happens yeah maybe I’ll start thinking like that, start thinking about hanging them up or whatever. I just believe that a fighter like Alvarez shouldn’t be really on my level. But like I said he’s a great young fighter coming up, and hopefully he’ll be able to win titles again after the legend guys leave out. He’s still young.

JENNA: If you do win the fight with Alvarez, do you think you’ll actually stay up at 154 pounds or will you move back down to 147 for the right opportunity?

MOSLEY: You know I think that I would probably stay at 154. It looks to be my weight if you will. I’m not sure, though. After the fight I’ll know.

JENNA: Alright now Shane earlier in the interview you mentioned that Canelo is the same age as your son. I’m just wonder what’s the progress been like with your son Shane Mosley Junior and him developing as a fighter?

MOSLEY: Well right now we’re in camp training to go the Nationals in Colorado Springs, and if he wins that, that can enable him to go to the Olympics.

JENNA: Alright well Shane I’m down to my final question for you. You have a lot of fans out there and a lot of people who have followed you throughout your career. Is there anything you would like to say to them?

MOSLEY: You know as usual I would like to thank my true fans for being great fans and for following me throughout my career and everything, and just for being great fans and being positive.

JENNA: Alright well Shane, it’s been an absolute pleasure having you once again return to On the Ropes. I thank you for your time and I’m looking forward to your fight with Canelo.

MOSLEY: Thank you. I appreciate it.

CIANI: Thanks Shane. Best of luck on May 5.

MOSLEY: Thank you. I appreciate it. Thank you.