Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Robert Stieglitz And Edison Miranda Ready To Rumble In 2010's First "World" Title Cla

by James Slater - For all those "boxing junkies" out there who are missing their regular fight action due to the fact that it's a quiet time for boxing during the Christmas holiday season, rest assured the action will soon restart. The first "world" title fight set to take place in 2010 is the intriguing and likely to be explosive WBO 168-pound title clash between champ Robert Stieglitz and the always fan-friendly Edison Miranda.

As hard as it's been for the boxing nuts to have gone without seeing any fights for the past week-and-a-half or so, spare a thought for these two guys, who have had to train and remain focused over the Christmas period; instead of enjoying themselves as we have all been doing.. Come January 9th, however, it will all have been worth it for one of the two warriors, and Jan. 9th will also be the date in which fight fans can settle back into their schedule of watching at least a big fight or two each month.

The 36-2(22) Stieglitz of Germany, who will be making his first defence, is not a big name outside of Europe, but he is hoping a win over Miranda, especially a spectacular one, will help turn him into one. A tough and gutsy fighter who is always in great physical shape - as anyone who saw his quite incredible come-from-behind title win over Karloy Balzsay will know - the 28-year-old will not give up his title without a dogfight; if at all.

For though most fans seem to think the Colombian banger known as "Pantera" will finally get his hands on a major belt in January, it's by no means a certainty. Stieglitz, despite being stopped twice - by Alejandro Berrio and Librado Andrade - has a good chin; maybe a better chin that 28-year-old Miranda possesses. As such, and as powerful as he certainly is, Miranda had better not be thinking he will go in there and blast the new champion out. Having reportedly hired Joe Goossen as his new trainer for the upcoming fight, it seems Miranda is doing all he can so as to make it to the top this time.

The first "world" title fight of the new year sure figures to be an exciting one; regardless of what tactics each guy adopts. Miranda, win or lose, is never in a dull fight, and Stieglitz has also thrilled those fans who have been lucky enough to have seen him fight. Miranda, under the tutelage of Goossen, may come out more cautiously than usual, as he looks to feel his way into the fight, but at some point the bombs will start to fly - from both sides. Not as big a hitter as the challenger, Stieglitz has still stopped way over half of the men he's beaten. The edge in power goes to Miranda, the better chin and possibly stamina belongs to Stieglitz.

The pressure is on both men to win. Stieglitz doesn't want to lose his title in his first defence, and Miranda, 33-4(29) has to know he will be most fortunate to ever get another chance at a big belt if he loses this one. Sure to bring out the best in both men, this pressure will see to it that neither leaves anything in the ring. Yes, Miranda always has a chance to end a fight against anyone quickly, such is his raw power, but I see a long, hard, war of a fight taking place next month and not a blow-out.

There could be a couple of knockdowns along the way - with both men being hurt a number of times - before a weary Miranda sees his second "world" title challenge become a successful one, as he wins a close decision.

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather, Schaefer Singing A Different Tune

by Edgar D. Macabasa - After adamantly reiterating and stressing for several days the stand that Olympic-style drug-testing for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight is NON-NEGOTIABLE and Pacquiao should undergo the USADA testing or the fight is off, Mayweather’s camp is now singing a vastly different tune.

This is the latest twist in the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight negotiations which has taken the boxing world in a vise grip these past six weeks. Not that this move is totally unexpected..

This could be understood to mean a few things.

ONE. This could be a move to prevent Pacquiao from going ahead with his defamation lawsuit against the Mayweathers and GBP. There is a very good chance that should a court case ensue, Floyd Mayweather, Sr. will be convicted since he has repeatedly gone on record about “HIS OPINION” that Pacquiao is on something. Floyd wouldn’t want his now-reconciled-with daddy to go behind bars again on top of a very heavy moral damage fee which Floyd Jr. might end up coughing up as Senior won’t be able to afford the amount, for sure.

With regards to Floyd Jr. and GBP, their guilt may be a lot more difficult to prove in court, but many lawyers are of the opinion that should Pacquiao file the complaint in court it is a very winnable case for him.

TWO. Floyd Mayweather really wants the fight because of his financial woes. Floyd Jr. still owes the IRS millions from the Marquez-Pacquiao bout. Before his bout with Marquez, he advanced upwards of $5M from GBP to pay part of the IRS lien on him for back taxes. He was guaranteed only $10 million for that bout, although he claimed he was guaranteed 15 million. Part of the cost for the undercards was also reportedly deducted from his purse. That plus the training expenses means he went home with almost nothing from his purse. Sure, he could have earned millions from the PPV proceeds, but given the way he spends money, that stash could be very well running low now. The IRS will be knocking on his door again in 2010.

THREE. Floyd really wants to beat Pacquiao to claim that he is the best pound-for-pound fighter of his generation. There are many who share the idea that if Floyd Mayweather beats Pacquiao he automatically becomes the best fighter of his generation. I am one of those who do not subscribe to that idea. That is similar to the idea that Torrecampo and Singsurat are better than Pacquiao because both KO’d him. If Floyd beats Manny, which he is very capable of doing given his style and his physical advantages going into the fight, that proves only that he has the style to beat Pacquiao. As far as being the best fighter of his generation, the distinction is based not on one fight alone, but on what he has accomplished his whole career. I have no doubt that Manny Pacquiao will be named the Best Fighter of the Decade covering 2000-2009. In view of that, Floyd Mayweather will have to do a lot more than just beat Pacquiao to be recognized as the best of his generation. I don’t think even defeating Shane Mosley after Pacquiao would be enough. Based on the level of competition and the manner by which Pacquiao had defeated his opponents, there is simply no contest between Pacquiao and Floyd as far as legacy is concerned right now.

FOUR. HBO has told GBP and Mayweather that HBO would not take part in any Mayweather vs. Matthew Hatton fight. This is pure guesswork. However, it is not entirely without basis. We all know that HBO holds the power to stage or not to stage a big fight. They may have let the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps do the initial talks, but when the fight was imperiled by the USADA testing demanded by Mayweather, HBO had no other choice but to step in.

FIVE. This may be another publicity stunt being pulled by Mayweather. Since a cutoff date for blood testing is still to be agreed upon, in a few days, we might be hearing that Floyd wants a blood test within 48 hours of the fight, which we already know won’t be acceptable to Pacquiao. The Pacquiao camp is amenable to a blood test 5 days before the fight. The Mayweather camp will argue that 5 days is too far away from the fight so Pacquiao will have time to ingest a PED or steroid before fight time and have it off his system immediately after the fight, never mind if that is impossible to do given that urine tests may be taken everyday until fight night. That might be the final nail in the coffin of Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Whatever the reason/s for this move, two things looks evident: First, Pacquiao’s camp has the upperhand in the negotiations right now. The fact that they have walked away from the negotiations due to the “NON-NEGOTIABLE” USADA testing demanded by Mayweather has sent the Mayweather camp the message that Pacquiao doesn’t care that much if the fight does not push through because Manny has many options aside from Mayweather. It is Mayweather that does not have a lot of options, unless we are to believe that there are several thousand fools who would watch Mayweather vs. Matthew Hatton on PPV. Second, the Mayweather camp has lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of the boxing world. After all, they insisted that the USADA testing is NON-NEGOTIABLE. Now, that they have reversed that stand, the ploy has backfired on them.

Jul 24, 2005
Dirrell-Abraham, Ward-Taylor, Froch-Kessler: Picking the next winners of the Super Si

By Scott Gilfoid: In the first bouts of the Super Six tournament, we saw a couple of impressive wins with talented American Andre Ward easily outclassing World Boxing Association super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler in an 11 round technical decision, and former IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham stopping Jermain Taylor in the 12th round in their fight in Germany.

However, we also saw some ugliness, with WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch defeating Andre Dirrell by a controversial 12 round split decision on October 17th, in Froch’s home city of Nottingham, England. Hopefully, the remainder of the Super Six tournament is free from any more controversial bouts like this.

Below I’ve included my analysis and picks for the upcoming Super fights in 2010:

Andre Dirrell vs. Arthur Abraham – Dirrell (18-1, 13 KO’s) fought with a great deal of heart and determination in his fight with Froch, showing boxing skills that I hadn’t seen since Sugar Ray Robinson was in his prime. Dirrell rarely was hit during the fight, and showed incredible hand speed second to none in the division. However, it looks as if the judges were looking for Dirrell to slug more and box less. This is something that Dirrell will need to be mindful of against Abraham, because using his incredible boxing skills and not getting hit by Abraham might not be enough to get the win. Dirrell will need to open up more with his offense, take more chances and use his quick reflexes to get out of the way of Abraham’s slow ponderous combinations. Dirrell is a lot quicker than the slow moving Abraham, and I can see this fight being one-sided from start to finish. Abraham doesn’t throw many punches until the last seconds of the round, because he likes to conserve his energy. This means that Dirrell will be able to work Abraham over for two and half minutes of every round with blistering combinations, and then focus on staying out of the way of Abraham as he comes charging forward with 30 seconds to go in the round. I don’t know what Abraham’s problem is with his stamina, but he just can’t seem to fight hard for more than 30 seconds during any one given round. This is a problem that he’s had for the past couple of years and it seems to have gotten steadily worse. Abraham didn’t look good against Taylor, aside from the knockout, and had the same problems letting go of his punches as he did in his previous bouts.

Prediction: I see Dirrell’s hand speed being way too much for the slow moving Abraham. He’s even slower than Froch and has terrible technique. Abraham won’t hit a fly as he runs forward in the last seconds of every round trying to steal it. And I don’t see Abraham working hard enough to win rounds by trying to take the fight to Dirrell. This is going to be easy. Look for Dirrell to work Abraham over in every round and win a 12 round lopsided decision.

Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler – As I’ve already mentioned, Froch (26-0, 20 KO’s) was extremely fortunate to have won the 12 round split decision over Dirrell in their fight. I had Dirrell winning the bout eight rounds to three with one even. I didn’t see the fight as being close at all. However, Froch got the win, no matter how badly he looked in the fight, and will move onto recently defeated Kessler. Although Kessler looked horrid in his fight with Ward in November, appearing like a washed up over-the-hill fighter, I see Kessler boxing circles around Froch and easily beating him. The fight will take place in Denmark, the home country of Kessler, which will give Mikkel a huge boost in the fight. Froch will no doubt be coming forward in straight lines trying to pressure Kessler in hopes of landing a big one to end the fight. But Kessler moves too good to be trapped or dominated by a fighter with the slow foot movement and hand speed of Froch, so I can’t see this one ending good for Froch. I see this fight as identical to Kessler’s dominating win over Librado Andrade in March 2007. Froch is very similar to Andrade, only that Froch isn’t nearly as good on the inside compared to Andrade. I can’t see Froch winning one round against Kessler. Froch will be too slow to catch him. Each time that Froch moves at him, Kessler will jab him hard in the face and shift to the side and punish Froch with hooks and right hands to the head. This fight is going to be so one-sided that it will be tragic to watch.

Prediction: Kessler by one-sided 12 round decision.

Jermain Taylor vs. Andre Ward – If this fight had taken place three to four years ago, Ward (21-0, 13 KO’s) would likely have been in way over his head in this fight. Taylor (28-4-1, 17 KO’s), back them, had good enough stamina to dominate most of a 12 round fight and then cruise in the last three rounds. However, Taylor’s stamina has gone downhill in the past couple of years to the point where he’s in effect a six round fighter. Taylor controls the fight for the first six rounds against most of his opponents, but after that he fades badly and ends up getting stopped. Taylor has been knocked out in three out of his last five fights. Ward might not be a big knockout puncher historically, but he’s rugged and hits hard enough to cause problems. He shook Kessler up a couple of times in their last fight in November, and Kessler is noted for having a good chin. Taylor’s only chance at beating Ward is to focus on throwing fast combinations, using his jab and moving in an out all night. He can’t just stand in front of the southpaw Ward, because that will allow Andre to work angles on him pick him apart all night long. I wish I could say this fight will go well for Taylor, but I don’t see a good outcome for him.

Prediction: Ward by 10th round stoppage.

Jul 24, 2005
Super six next round: Froch, Ward and Abraham to come out on top and Taylor to drop o

By Peter Wells: With the next round of the Super Six tourney on its way for next March/April, I would now like to give my preview for each fight for this round. Arthur Abraham tops the leader board with 3 points for his 12th round knockout of Jermain Taylor. Carl Froch and Andre Ward are both on 2 points; Carl beat Andre Dirrell via split decision while Ward beat Mikkel Kessler via technical decision after the fight was stopped in the 11th by accidental head butts, or more like purposeful head butts.

Andre Ward hasn’t made many fans from that victory and when watching it over again it is a complete disgrace that the referee didn’t disqualify him. Froch’s victory got criticism but it was a clear victory for Carl and Dirrell was the one who ruined the fight, so I dread to see Ward-Dirrell. While Arthur stood out from them all with a classy knockout of Jermain Taylor who has lost his promoter and is being told to hand up the gloves after 2 last round stoppages in a row, and in the latter he suffered concussion and slight memory loss.

Now for the next round we have Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler on April 17th in Denmark which will only be for the WBC Super Middleweight title and not the WBA title which Kessler did hold. On the same night in America will be Jermain Taylor vs Andre Ward for Ward’s WBA title in his first defence. But a month earlier on March 6th Andre Dirrell vs Arthur Abraham will take place in California in a fight which was supposed to take place in January but Abraham moved it back due to injury.

Firstly I’ll go to our first bout between Dirrell and Abraham; Dirrell will come in the underdog as he did against Carl Froch. Dirrell showed how negative he fights against Carl Froch, but maybe if that fight had have been in America Dirrell may have got the decision. Dirrell can box very well indeed, but seemed too worried of getting hurt against Froch than going at it himself. Abraham is great at blocking punches and then countering, but leaves himself wide open when he attacks. Dirrell will start strong, which won’t be a surprise as Abraham can never start quick, but when he starts to get chances he should start to connect. Andre will be running about most of the fight but will look very flashy from the outside. Abraham will keep blocking the punches and will keep pounding away more and more as the fight progresses. Abraham will go through the fight to take a close but undisputed decision in an exciting on the edge of your seat kind of fight, especially for Dirrell fans.

Next I will go to Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler, which could prove very different after Kessler’s defeat to Ward. Kessler will want to get back to form this fight, and Froch won’t underestimate his Danish challenger. Kessler will try to outmuscle Froch and will be happy to trade with Froch. Kessler will make the most of the early rounds winning the majority of the first half of the fight, just as he did against Joe Calzaghe. Froch will hurt Kessler in the mid rounds and will look the much better on the inside. It will be all level going into the last two rounds, but Froch will be too strong in the trenches and will finish with a near stoppage before taking the fight on points.

Lastly I end with Ward vs Taylor, where Andre will be the clear favourite, and Taylor will be facing a career defining fight. Ward will be confident early knowing he can take Taylor out early and make a great impression. Unfortunately for Taylor he won’t have grown any better over night. Taylor will look good for the first few rounds and floor Ward in an exchange in round three. Ward will come back strong and hurt Taylor in round 5 before the referee steps in to end the fight.

If Taylor has any sense he will pull out and retire, while Abraham and Ward will be fighting at the top with 5 points each while Froch will be in third, Kessler, Dirrell and Taylor will all be stuck on ‘0.’ Most likely there will be a late replacement for Jermain but Taylor isn’t known for giving up and may continue, but let’s hope not.

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao-Mayweather - How Badly Will The Sport Suffer If The Super-Fight Can't Be Sav

by James Slater - With promoter Bob Arum's deadline issued to the Mayweather team regarding the struggling mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao rapidly approaching, fans everywhere are wondering if the fight everyone wants to see will actually happen. There surely can't be anyone who hasn't heard about the blood test quarrelling that has been going on for the past few days, and fight fans also know how Arum's plan-B, if the fight cannot be saved, is for Pac-Man to face New York's Paulie Malignaggi.

No disrespect to the talented and hard working "Magic Man," but we all know how much of a drop a Pacquiao-Malignaggi fight would be compared to what was originally planned. The question is, IF "Money" Vs. Manny cannot be saved, how badly will the sport of boxing suffer?

Back in the days leading up to the "World Awaits" clash between Mayweather and Oscar de la Hoya, some members of the media went as far as to say how that super-fight was all that could "save" the dying sport of boxing. Such talk was way overboard, but boxing could well take a real hit if the pencilled-in March 13th blockbuster - a genuine event that really has got the world awaiting it - falls apart, never to be seen.

I can just hear the average casual fight fan talking now if the super-fight doesn't come off (the type of non-hardcore fan Mayweather-Pacquiao appeals massively to) : "The hell with boxing. I'm switching to MMA - at least those guys fight each other and don't go avoiding the hard fights!"

How many casual, even serious fans, will be thinking and saying things along these lines if the big fight doesn't arrive? How badly will the sport suffer? Of course no-one can give an accurate answer to such a question. But think about this: how badly would boxing have suffered, and how much of a hole would there have been, if the truly great fights of yesteryear were not signed - Ali-Frazier, Ali-Foreman, Leonard-Hearns, De la Hoya-Trinidad, and the like? The loss of interest in the sport that would have occurred had these titanic battles not taken place is mind boggling.

And yes, there have been super-fights that should have happened but didn't in the past, and the sport survived - as it will if Pacquiao-Mayweather doesn't happen. But how many fans has boxing lost since the glory days of the 1970s already? Simply put, the sport can't afford to lose the latest "Fight of The Century." If it does, millions more way well drift away. Never has a fight had so much resting on its taking place. With all that's happened, they should have dubbed Pacquiao-Mayweather "The World Hopes!"

This is all we can do now.

Jul 24, 2005
Timothy Bradley: “I can pretty much do it all in the ring”

by Geoffrey Ciani - Last week’s edition of On the Ropes featured three exclusive interviews. Paul Malignaggi sounded off with suspicions that Manny Pacquiao is using illegal substances to enhance his performance and Micky Ward discussed his famous trilogy with Artuo Gatti, but before that, highlighting this episode was a very interesting interview with the man widely regarded as the best junior welterweight in boxing, Timothy Bradley. Here are some excerpts from that interview:

On his recent victory over the previously undefeated Lamont Peterson:
“Tough battle. Real tough battle as you guys could see, but I did what I had to do and won that match and am just looking forward to 2010.”

On rating his own performance in that fight:
“I’m my worst critic. I reviewed the tape and I made a lot of mistakes in there. I did a lot of good things, but I made a lot of mistakes. It was an all around good performance. I showed a little bit defensively, I showed a lot with my movement and my boxing ability, and plus I showed that I’m still the champ and that I can fight no matter if it’s brawling or it’s boxing. I can pretty much do it all in the ring..”

On who he would like to face in 2010:
“All of the best. Definitely first off, I want to take out all the champions. I can start off with Amir Khan. I would fly over to England and face him in his backyard. I want to fight against Juan Urango, he’s the IBF world champion. There’s Devon Alexander, as well. I would love to get it on with him, too. There’s a lot of future opponents: (Juan Manuel) Marquez, Ricky Hatton, (Paul) Malignaggi, also. I just want to fight the best.”

Regarding why he believes he has been able to improve in recent performances:
“Just hard work and dedication—hard work and dedication and just studying myself. Like I told you, I’m my worst critic. When I watch film, I don’t watch my other opponent, I watch myself. I see where I’m making mistakes and see how I can get better because there’s always room for improvement.”

On being stripped of the WBC title:
“The WBC title, I mean, that was my first title I ever won. I was promised a lot of things and it didn’t happen, and I felt pretty bad relinquishing that title. I ended up in the same boat that I was facing Lamont Peterson. He was the number one contender just like Devon Alexander. I didn’t really want to fight Lamont, but I didn’t want to lose my title. I didn’t want to be stripped because I’m looking for the bigger fights.”

On whether he had any doubt as to whether he would have beaten Nate Campbell had their fight not been stopped due to a clash of heads:
“No doubt. I started off really well, just like I did in this fight. I feel that in that fight you would have seen a lot of my ability as well.”

Regarding whether or not he believes Nate Campbell could have continued fighting in their match:
“If you’re a competitor, you just know right off hand when somebody is taking the easy way out. I just know, I’ve been a competitor all my life. I felt deep in my heart that he quit that night. He might have been hurt, but he can see right now. I just felt that he quit and after the verdict (that reversed the fight to a no contest) I called him a quitter. I was like ‘Congratulations quitter. You quit.’

Next up we had a nice chat with Micky Ward who is best known for his sensational trilogy with the late Arturo Gatti. Here are some excerpts from that interview:

On how he first got involved with boxing:
“I started when my brother took me down when I was like seven. He was fighting before me, and he had a good career. I thought I’d just do it as a hobby. I liked wrestling, baseball, and football better than boxing when I was younger, but it just grew on me.”

Regarding his first retirement:
“Instead of losing a fight and coming back with three wins like normal guys, like guys that you have a 60-40 advantage over, I was fighting guys that I was the underdog all the time. I was just getting thrown in there I believe with the toughest opposition. So I lost three in a row, and I said the hell with it. I wasn’t going to be used as a stepping stone just to pad other guys’ records and stuff like that, so I left.”

On how it felt being involved in Ring Magazine’s boxing “Fight of the Year” over three consecutive years from 2001-2003:
“That’s a great honor being in the Fight of the Year three years in a row. I’m in good company.”

On his ability to absorb punishment:
“It’s funny. People ask me that all the time, ‘How did you do that?’ I still to this day say I don’t know. I guess I have just the opinion just to fight and not give up and with every breath I have to just keep trying. That’s just the way I am. I really don’t know where it comes from or where I go. Why I got it, I don’t even know, but I’m glad I had it.”

On his epic first fight with Arturo Gatti:
“When you’re in there, you don’t really realize what you’re involved in when you’re doing it. You know it’s something special. You know it was a great fight but until you stop and go back and look at the fight, right now I look back and I say, ‘What the hell was I thinking?’ or ‘Why didn’t I just move my head?’ It’s almost surreal.”

Finally, we had the chance to have a good discussion with returning guest, Paul Malignaggi. Here is what he had to say:

On his victory in his rematch with Juan Diaz:
“I felt good. I think I felt even better during camp. I felt good during the fight but I just started to maybe lose focus maybe playing around a little too much, not that I regret playing around, because I enjoy playing around in there when I’m fighting, but a couple of times it made me not execute on some of the opportunities I might have had.”

Regarding why he enjoys clowning around inside the ring:
“I almost became, I’m not going to say “bored” because I think a lot of fighters use that excuse, ‘I got bored in there’. I was not really ‘bored’ but I wanted to make it more interesting. A lot of my fights, when I start dominating and winning on points, it becomes monotonous and what I mean by monotonous is you start seeing the same thing every round with me just dominating and out boxing guys. It almost becomes monotonous to me sometimes, so I think the clowning around it keeps the crowd involved and keeps everyone wondering.”

Regarding the Klitschko brothers:
“We were talking about Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko. To me, Wladimir Klitschko is better than Vitali Klitschko but the overall opinion is that Vitali is better than Wladimir. Now why is that? Because Wladimir took a couple of bad losses in his career and Vitali showed a little bit of toughness.”

Jul 24, 2005
British Boxing review of 2009

By Adam Fillingham: This year has been full of highs and lows for British boxing. Three unsuccessful world title challenges. Two successful ones. A legend fell and three more may have been born.

The first of these future legends is Nottingham’s Carl Froch. Last December, Carl Froch claimed his WBC world title belt against Canadian Jean Pascal. His first defence came in April when he fought former middleweight world champion Jermain Taylor. Froch was the champion and yet he was made to travel to America’s Foxwoods Resort.

The fight did nothing to gain respect from American fans. Froch was knocked down for the first time in his career on this venture to America. His slow start did nothing for him in the fight and he could not seem to find his range or connect with anything worth while until the last four rounds. Before the twelfth round began Froch knew he needed a knock out and that is exactly what he accomplished. With fourteen seconds remaining the referee stopped the fight after Taylor groggily rose from the canvas and continued to take punishment.

Nearly Six months later and Froch defended his belt a second time. This time against undefeated Andre Dirrell as part of the Super Six tournament. Once again Froch looked unconvincing although on my card won the fight. Froch looked too slow in parts, although was the aggressor so got more points than the backtracking Dirrell. Froch won a split decision which to me seems as much as he deserved. Froch deserved to lose the fight but dirrell did not deserve to win.

Froch now travels into Europe to continue in his quest of the super six tournament when he faces Mikkel Kessler in 2010.

David Haye last year moved up to the heavyweight division when he faced and defeated Monte Barrett. June this year was supposed to home the highly anticipated fight between Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye. Unfortunately that fight didn’t happen and neither did the fight with Wladimir Klitschko’s brother Vitali. Haye pulled out of both fights due to a back problem and due to contract issues respectively. Haye finally settled on fighting the much less daunting prospect of Nicolay Valuev.

Although being 7ft tall, Valuev’s power is minimal and his speed is non existent. Haye gave out a lot of banter and got under the big man’s skin before the fight and fought his and Adam Booth’s (his coach) tactics to perfection. Haye fought off the back foot in what was a negative manner but Valuev did not connect with anything. Finally in the final round Haye threw a massive three punch combination that rocked Valuev like he has never been rocked before. This was all with a hand which was damaged in the first round. Many heavyweights must now be wary of Haye’s massive power. Once the fight went the distance Haye won a majority decision. This flatters Valuev as there was no way the fight could have been scored a draw.
Early next year we will see Haye back in action against mandatory challenger John Ruiz.

2009 became the turning point for Amir Khan. Whether you like him or not you cannot knock the fact that he has turned a corner in the last year. A short fifteen months ago Khan was knocked clean out by the tough but not great Breidis Prescott. In three fights this year he has improved greatly to improve his guard and defensive performance.

First up was Marco Antonio Barrera in March. Khan fought exceptionally well in the five rounds it lasted although it was a cut above the eye of Barrera that finished the fight. Barrera was very overweight and some say is past it so it did take a lot of the victory away.

Second this year was Amir’s first world title challenge against Andriy Kotelnik. Khan fought fantastic that night to secure the WBA world title. He eventually won a unanimous decision winning almost every round along the way. Once again the win had little bite, as Kotelnik was thought of as a paper champion.

Finally this year Khan fought Undefeated but unproven American Dmitriy Salita. Salita was ranked number one by the WBA but was blasted out by Khan in just over seventy seconds! That must have demanded some credibility but still nothing. This is due to Salita having no substance to his thirty wins.

Khan has a lot of options in 2010. These include Timothy Bradley the undefeated WBO champion, Paulie Malignaggi the former IBF champion, Marcos Maidana the interim champion for Amir’s belt and lovable Brit Ricky Hatton.

If it was a good year for the three above fighters then it was a bad year for my next one. Ricky Hatton once again challenged the P4P king and was once again defeated soundly, knocked out in the second round. Manny Pacquiao has showed that maybe Hatton should hang up his gloves and enjoy retirement.

There are options there for him. Amir Khan would love the fight and would be a real money spinner in the UK. Juan Manuel Marquez is another very big option that could also generate a lot of money.

On other lows Ola Afolabi, Michael Jennings and Junior Witter all fought unsuccessfully for world titles. Afolabi the most recent went for the WBO cruiserweight title against Marco Huck and was soundly taken to a unanimous decision. Junior Witter fought for the WBC light welterweight title in August. Witter retired on his stool after the eighth round due to an injury to his left hand. Finally we have Michael Jennings’ poor showing against the far Superior Miguel Cotto in February. The Lancashire man took the WBO champion a good five rounds before he was taken out. Jennings should not have been in the same ring as Cotto and his No.2 rank status was highly inflated.

Whether you take it as a high or a low, Ryan Rhodes defeated Jamie Moore in seven of the best rounds this year. This fight was undoubtedly the domestic fight of the year, after Moore started off the aggressor firing off shots while Rhodes began slow on the back foot, running slightly. Suddenly in the forth round the tides changed and Rhodes looked more aggressive and fired the more cleaner shots. In the seventh round Rhodes finally got his man and knocked Moore to the canvas before taking more punishment from Rhodes. Rhodes claimed not only the European belt but also a high spot in the WBC ranks.

And finally in brief…

Matthew Macklin won both the British and European belts this year with quick knockouts over Wayne Elcock and Amin Asikainen. After claiming and defending the Commonwealth title last year, Nathan Cleverly defended the belt another four times and claimed the British belt when he fought in a great domestic fight with Danny McIntosh. After winning the European belt early last year Rendall Munroe defended his belt easily twice and claimed the commonwealth belt taking his defence count to a massive five times. John Murray defended his British belt twice after being made to vacate due to coming in over weight. Murray will be looking for bigger things now after retiring Jon Thaxton. And Finally, Kell Brook has shown his class this year with two successful defences of his British belt. Kell is hunting for a fight with former WBO challenger Michael Jennings.

2009 has brought about a fantastic up and coming domestic British scene. We have the likes of Tyson Fury, Derek Chisora, David Price, Tom Dallas, Larry Olubamiwo and the slightly more experienced Sam Sexton. My pick of the new domestic scene would have to be the understated Richard Towers.

Finally to top off the year was Joe Calzaghe’s retirement. On the 5th of February Calzaghe announced he was hanging up his gloves after an amazing career that included five world titles.

Jul 24, 2005
News: Sebastian Sylvester; O’Shea Bros; Chris Rudd

Sebastian Sylvester (32-3, 15 KOs) will make a first defence of his IBF Middleweight Title on January 30 when he takes on Pablo Navascues (24-1, 16 KOs). The Hurricane returns to the Jahnsportforum in Neubrandenburg where he edged Giovanni Lorenzo on September 19 to win King Arthur Abraham´s vacated title in front of a sell-out crowd of 5,000 enthusiastic fans. “I am looking forward to making my first defence,” Sylvester said. “I expect a tough bout. Navascues is a strong fighter but I will do my best to keep him at bay..”

Sylvester has been training in the East German city of Schwerin under the guidance of coach Karsten Roewer. “We will start sparring in Guestrow on January 3,” Roewer said. “Sebastian has done very well thus far and he can certainly enter the fight with a lot of confidence. But he needs to be on alert – Navascues punches very quickly.”

Added Team Sauerland General Manager Chris Meyer: “That is a great start to the new boxing year. Sebastian has a tough first defence coming up. But with the support of his home fans, who have supported him against Castillejo, Nespro and Lorenzo, he will definitely defend his title.”

It will be a battle of two Hurricanes, with Sylvester and Navascues sharing the same nickname.

“New Year, New Stars” in Yonkers O’Shea Brothers Boxing Jan. 15

YONKERS, N.Y. (Dec. 28, 2009) – O’Shea Bros. Boxing Promotions kicks-off its 2010 schedule January 15, featuring many of New York’s top young fighters in action on the “New Year, New Stars” pro boxing card, at the Yonkers PAL Gym.

“Our goal is to bring old-school boxing back to the fans,” promoter Brian O’Shea explained. “We have some of the best young local fighters on this card in real fights. We don’t want protected fighters trying to build-up their records. Some guys are stepping up in terms of the level of talent they’re in the ring with and those just starting their pro careers are fighting opponents of equal talent, from rival or even the same neighborhoods in some cases, just like in the old days.”

The 8-round main event pits Bronx welterweight Jose Angel “Silver Boy” Rodriguez (14-1-1, 2 KOs) against battled-tested veteran David Toribio (16-12, 10 KOs), who has proven to be an upset specialist having beaten previously unbeaten prospects (11-0) Juan Camilio Novoa (TKO1) and (14-0-2) Ishmail Arvin (DEC8). Toribio has also been in against the likes of James Kirkland, Oscar Diaz, Daniel Edouard and Marco Antonio Rubio, among the more notables.

The 6-round co-feature showcases undefeated African welterweight Issouf Kinda (6-0, 3 KOs), now fighting out of Harlem, versus dangerous Dominican slugger Franklin Gonzalez (13-3, 10 KOs).

On the undercard in 4-round bouts are Bronx bantamweight Raul Lopez (1-0, 1 KO) vs. Alex Nonte (1-0, 0 KOs), New Rochelle super flyweight Jose “Chilli” Rivera (1-0, 0 KOs) vs. pro debuting Miguel Diaz, Bronx featherweight Nydia Feliciano (1-0-1, 0 KOs) vs. pro debuting Norma Faris, 2-time New York Golden Gloves champion Adam Kownacki (1-0, 1 KO), fighting out of the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, vs. Bronx heavyweight Abdighano Bousman in his pro debut; Manhattan super featherweights Takeshi Sato (0-1) and Jonathan Cuba (1-1, 1 KO), Yonkers hometown favorite Chazz McDowell makes his pro debut against Bronx featherweight Alex Cooper (0-2).

All fights and fighters are subject to change.

Tickets, priced at $40.00, $60.00 and $100.00 (includes dinner), are available to purchase by calling 914.216.9381. For more information go on line at www.osheabrosboxing.com or call 914.216.9381. Doors open 6:30 PM/ET, first bout 7:30 PM/ET.

Richie Boy’s top prospects Terry & Rudd closed out 2009 in style

NORTH MIAMI BEACH (Dec. 28, 2009) – Richie Boy Promotions’ top prospects, IBF No. 15 rated junior lightweight Ira Terry and 2008 Ringside World Championships winner Chris Rudd, both closed out 2009 in style with knockout victories.

Richie Boy Promotions also promotes undefeated IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (20-0, 18 KOs).

The 22-year-old Terry (24-2, 14 KOs), fighting out of Memphis, stopped Terrance “T-Brick” Roy in the sixth round of their Dec. 15th fight in Kentucky. Terry also is ranked No. 5 by the USBA.

Rudd (10-0, 7 KOs) was an outstanding U.S. amateur before turning pro in 2007, rather than pursue a spot on the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team. On Dec. 19 in his native Tennessee, 25-year-old Rudd put Rodney Freeman to sleep in the second round to keep his perfect professional record intact.

“We’re very high on Terry and Rudd and expect big things from both of them in 2010,” Richie Boy Promotions director of boxing operations Al Bonanni said. “We hope that both will capture their first titles as pros next year.”

Jul 24, 2005
Why Mosley would beat both Mayweather and Pacquiao

By Peter Wells: I know most people will think, what is this guy talking about, but if you look at the way these fighters fight, Shane Mosley would beat both Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao. I have stated how much I believe Manny or Floyd should fight Shane Mosley, and this is to say how and why he would beat both fighters and become the best boxer in the world.

I don’t think I have much trouble convincing a lot of you that Mosley would beat Mayweather, especially after hearing what you said after my first article about Sugar Shane. I respect Mayweather, and hope he gives Mosley a shot next and I honestly haven’t ever seen Mayweather avoid anyone, it’s just that he doesn’t decide to always fight the best, he was the one who called out Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya.

Shane is just as fast as Mayweather, and has a longer reach and is taller, and can sure punch a lot harder. Mosley is a hard working fighter, whom is dangerous for 12 rounds, and never gives up. Mosley does have some up and down fights, which can make his fights hard to predict, you just have go on the basics that he will be in peak form. Mayweather would be hard to catch of course, but non stop pressure from Mosley would soon make him crumble. Mayweather could only avoid Mosley’s onslaughts for so long and in between would get some crisp shots off himself. Mosley would control most of the fight, kind of like what De La Hoya did, but with more intensity and wouldn’t let up, and would take all his chances. Mosley would control the first 7 or 8 rounds, but Mayweather would sneak a few rounds in the bag and would end the better in an exciting end. But Mosley would be just too far ahead and despite Mayweather’s attempts he would lose out on a close to decisive decision.

Mosley-Pacquiao would be harder to make, but if it did, and if Mosley is fighting at 147lbs it should be a victory for Shane. Mosley has size, reach, power and strength and maybe would just be behind on foot and hand speed. Manny would cause Mosley plenty of problems, but Mosley will be harder to hit, and would be throwing more punches than Manny has ever seen. Pacquiao would give Mosley plenty of problems all fight but Mosley would be too big, and Pacquiao just wouldn’t be able to take advantage near the end. Mosley would prove his point of being the best boxer in the world by beating Pacquiao in a clear decision with many rounds being scored differently, in an entertaining bout.

So there is why and how Mosley will beat the two best boxers on the planet, and hopefully you will understand my reasons. I have no problem if you disagree, that is fair enough, we all have opinions, let’s just wait and hope these fights plan out.

Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko-Nikolay Valuev: in works for April/May

By Peter Wells: According to boxingscene .com, World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko vs Nikolay Valuev could be happening in April or May. This fight has been mentioned for quite a while now, but finally it looks like we could be looking at a fight of the giants.

Since Valuev lost his WBA Heavyweight title to David Haye this November, the fight will be for Vitali’s WBC title only, and not unification. David Haye is very much interested in fighting Vitali later next year in a unification fight, and David wouldn’t want Valuev to win the title, so he has to have a rematch.

Klitschko will be the favourite and he should be, but this will be the most boring fight in boxing, two slow tall fighters, who don’t do a thing all fight. But that’s what we’ve come to, and the build up will be more exciting than the fight itself.

I would have to give Vitali the nod to take the victory on a close decision, in which Klitschko will do the more work from the back foot, but Valuev will get his shots in and will make a fight of it, as the ring isn’t that big, so for most of the fight they will both be stuck in centre ring.

Jul 24, 2005
Richardson thinks Haye could beat the Klitschkos – News

By Scott Gilfoid: In an interview from Fighthype, trainer Naazim Richardson says he thinks that World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye (23-1, 21 KO’s) would beat the Klitschko brothers. However, Richardson’s reasoning for why Haye would beat them seems to be more than a little flawed to say the least, pointing to Haye’s recent unimpressive 12 round majority decision win over WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev last month in November.

Richardson says “I think if he [Haye] fights them [the Klitschko brothers] like he fought the giant [Valuev], David Haye could beat the Klitschkos. I like the way he [Haye] moved in and out and every time he went in, he would unleash a combination and get back out. If he was able to stagger the giant like that, he could hurt the mini giants.”

I don’t know what fight Richardson was watching, but I didn’t see too many of those combinations from Haye that Richardson was referring to. I did see an occasional punch here and there thrown from Haye, but not combinations. Haye averaged little better than 10 punches landed per round, so I don’t where a combination would be fit in with that anemic amount of punches landed.

I think Richardson should sit down and take a closer look at some of the fights of the Klitschko brothers, and then immediately watch the Haye-Valuev and the Barrett-Haye fights. If he does that, I don’t know how Richardson can come up with any other conclusion that Haye will be way in over his head and likely destroyed by either of the Klitschko brothers.

Haye is a good heavyweight, but I see him more as a 2nd bottom of the pack heavyweight rather than a champion. The fact that Haye beat Valuev, to me at least, suggests that Valuev had no business holding down the WBA heavyweight title. Valuev appeared to have been beaten in a 12 round bout by 46-year-old Evander Holyfield in Switzerland. However, Valuev was given what many people now consider a gift decision over the former champion Holyfield.

For Haye to beat the Klitschko brothers, he would have to try and take the fight to them. Haye won’t be able to beat them by throwing pot shots form the outside and running all night long like he did against Valuev. I don’t care if Haye’s hand was hurt in that fight, he just doesn’t throw a lot of punches during most of his fights. Haye is a knockout artist, not a boxer/puncher like the Klitschko brothers. Haye is small for a heavyweight at only 217, and doesn’t throw a lot of jabs.

Haye has got good hand speed, but a shaky chin. Haye would have to be willing to fight like Mike Tyson to beat the Klitschkos. I think Haye easily has the power and the hand speed to beat both of them, but he needs to be more aggressive and throw more punches if he’s to beat either of them. In the end, I don’t think Haye has the chin, the work rate or an aggressive enough attitude to compete with either of them. The mostly likely scenario of a fight between one of the Klitschko brothers and Haye is a knockout loss for Haye. The only way I could see Haye surviving if if he ran all night long and played ostrich on the ropes like Kevin Johnson did against Vitali.

Jul 24, 2005
Bradley: Mayweather beats Pacquiao easy

By David Lahr: In a radio interview at East Side Boxing, WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley, when asked who will win the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao fight on March 13th, said “Mayweather, hands down. Easy fight. Like unanimous decision. It might be competitive at the beginning. Once he [Mayweather] gets in his rhythm, he’ll basically pot shot him [Pacquiao] from the outside. Stick and jab and come in with the left hook. And come in with the lead right hand. Use his movement to make Manny miss.”

I have to agree with Bradley in his assessment of the fight. Pacquiao will have problems with the movement and boxing ability of Mayweather, and probably lose very badly. As of now, the fight is up in the air because of the stalemate about the drug testing issue. However, the fight is still very doable but one of the two sides will have to give in about blood tests for the fight to take place.

Bradley had more to say about the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, saying “Hands down, Mayweather [meaning that Mayweather will win the fight. Manny is a great fighter. He comes to fight. He has power in both hands, but I don't think he has the ring smarts to out-think Mayweather. If you look at the beginning of the Cotto fight, when he [Cotto] was patient and using his jab, leading with his left hook, he was catching Manny. When you look later in the fight when Cotto was moving, Manny couldn’t catch up to him. Mayweather can do that all night long. He’ll [Mayweather] will make the fight boring all night long, use his jab, pot shot from the outside, get in and get out of danger. I don’t think that Manny will catch up to him. I don’t think Pacquiao’s hands are faster than Mayweather’s. I think Mayweather’s footwork would isolate Pacquiao’s speed.”

“Manny seems like he needs to be planted to swing. I looked at him and thought if he gets in with a slick boxer, they’ll give him problems. A great boxer will give him [Pacquiao] problems. Most of the boxers he [Pacquiao] faces come forward. I you look at his [Pacquiao] resume, most of the guys he faces come forward. Anybody that stands in front of him, Pacquiao will eat alive, because he throws from too many angles. But if anybody gives him [Pacquiao] movement and gives him angles, you’ll give him a challenge. And if someone is bigger than him with longer arms, like Mayweather, and smart, I think he [Mayweather] will be able to dominate him [Pacquiao]. I’m certain on this.”

I have to agree with everything that Bradley says in his interview. I think Mayweather is much too slick, too big and too fast for a fighter like Pacquiao to beat. I see the fight as being as one-sided as Bradley describes it. Hopefully, the fight can be made because it would be interesting to see if Bradley is correct about his prediction. He correctly predicted that Pacquiao would stop Cotto. However, in this case, Bradley thinks Mayweather would be too good for Pacquiao.

Jul 24, 2005
BOXINGTALK'S MONDAY MAILBAG

By Ishe "Sugar Shay" Smith

Hey G just hope to see this in the mailbag I wanted to comment on the whole drug
testing thing and the whole cheating sport that is boxing first boxing has
always had it nice contraversy since the mob was running it then you have the
whole Las Vegas which was started by the mob and then I here the dumbest thing
that Nevada has the best drug testing and safety for fighters well what happened
when Mosley fought on steroids and when Margarito fought with loaded gloves the
whole sport is dirty ( we can say Margarito also had both hands wrapped in Los
Angeles ) and we as people are starting to get ok with it I mean Zab Judah got a
year suspension and a 250K fine and all Margarito got was a one year suspension
and Mosley got away with fighting on steriods who knows how long for and got
nothing and he had to admit to doing them I mean the thing is would it be ok if
Floyd came in with EPO or PEDs and then got away with it how would everyone feel
I have a bad feeling that when someone and his whole camp say's they are the cleanest
fighter then refuses to take a drug test that puts doubt in me and your right
Mayweather is not above the commission but what is the issue with a drug test
really if he is that clean he should pass it no problem my thing is this with
everything out there right now and Nevada is the front runner for fighters
safety they should press for the blood testing since we all know there are
steriods that can pass a urine test Boxing is so dirty I am really getting to
the point that no one is fighting fair when it comes down to it is all about the
money and for Manny to throw away the biggest payday of his life over a drug
test ( The Cleanest fighter ) is stupid I mean take the test and knock out Floyd
how simple is that what is the issue I mean Floyd signed for that Stupid 10
million over a pound weight issue my thing is this then is Manny bigger then the
commission when he gets to put that in his contract well get rid of that I mean the demands for Cotto to fight
Manny were so outragoues I mean He had to have the biggest ring Cotto had to
weigh 145 then Cotto had to put up his belt when that was not even in the
contract because they were not allowing him to fight at 147 I mean you can say
the same thing about Manny to me the biggest question mark is now on Manny say
what you want about Floyd but Manny's not accepting that has now put the
question mark cause when you say that Manny is the cleanest fighter then one
little drug test that the people in the Olympics take then my friend you have to
give it to Floyd because just as much as fighters will fight Manny there are
fighters that would fight Floyd and take the test just like Manny would fight
fighters who not make Manny take the test and to me for Manny to pass up that
fight over a drug test is sad what a pound for pound and the dude is afraid of a
needle but was not afraid to ask Cotto for more punches and then lets make this clear who really thought those two
pussy's would fight each other you got one man ( who you think is afraid of
Manny and getting knocked out ) and the other Pussy is afraid of a needle wow to
me both should quit boxing now and let the sport go on its way and dont say that
there are good points and that Floyd is making it more difficult cause let me
tell you this fight would have happened if they would have agreed to do the
drug test anybody who is not afraid would be like take as much blood cause let
me tell you something for the money that is there for both I know Floyd is
willing to lose to Manny but as long as they are both clean I mean Floyd is
doing the test too to me Manny looks to lose on this one because I know for a
fact that some came with that money to any other fighter I know Shane Mosley
would too cause he was willing to do more drug test to fight Judah and we know
Shane has done it I mean the thing is both guys have got to have pussy's in between there legs I know I might have
never fought in the ring but you know what back in the day there were not this
many demands like it is today Manny has to drain people before he will fight
them and his crazy demands and Floyd wants drug testing and his crazy demands I
mean there is always something just fight the real losers are us the fans
because of fighters stupid demands I mean you cant come in over weight you have
to do extra drug testing what is next we can fight but no punching -Harold Curry

Ishe Response: I personally think the Nevada Athletic Commission is one of the best in the business, not even the USDA could detect HGH and some of the steroids that was used a few years back, so you can’t fault the commission for not catching Shane. There is better testing today, but boxing protocols don’t ask for the advance testing, so why should Manny be subject to take advance testing that our sport doesn’t even require? I can understand and see Team Mayweather’s point of view, but if the sport is not asking for it, why subject the guy to do it and lose out on millions of dollars and also ruin one of the biggest fights in boxing history. The theory that either one of them is scared of one another is totally untrue, I don’t think that’s the case here, I think there should be no required testing at all, because I think in doing so you’re asking for far too much that the sport doesn’t require. Just let it go in my opinion, I think Bob Arum is correct in saying we’re letting the Commission decide, and as I said earlier, Nevada is one of the best, along with California and New York in my opinion.

C,mon this is getting out of hand fast. Manny never was isn't and never will be
on steroids. 1st of all if he made 147 then shot up to 160 like any other
welterweight come fight night the next day then I would say ok but his weight is
consistent, he doesn't really even belong there aside from his punching power
and speed. Have you ever seen a 140lb steroid user? I sure as fuck haven't and
I've seen quite a few in my day. People are just stupid when it comes to
steroids because they know nothing about them or how they work or what
capabilities people who use them have(or don't for that matter). I've used
steroids while getting back in shape for boxing(not competitive just for
recreation) I can tell you this punchers are born they can't be made you either
have a punch or you don't same thing with speed it's strictly nature. Actually
I feel faster and in turn my punches feel better when I'm off cycle because I'm
lighter. Designer steroids are no
different but I'll tell you what I can probably guarantee there is one that can
pass the olympic style tests(that's the whole point of them being "designer") so
if Pacquiao was really on them he would say sure to the test as a matter of fact
they only say they can test for hgh but to my knowledge there is still no test
that can detect it. Bottom line is Floyd is showing his true colors and he
wouldn't be doing this if he wasn't seriously concerned about losing to Pacquaio
and the world won't let him get out of this like the other serious challenges
that he ducked funny thing is he more than likely would have smoked all the
other guys he ducked. Plus didn't Pacquiao say he would take a test the day of
the promotion, 30 days before as well as post fight and they can be olympic
style.... Jesus Christ how much more do you need. Tony

Ishe Response: There are all types of steroids and the theory that they cannot make you stronger is absolutely ridiculous. Tell that to Marion Jones, Shane Mosley, A-Rod and countless others who have used the drugs. It doesn’t matter what size you are, there are all types. Cyclists are busted all the time and they are not cheating for strength, most if not all cheat for endurance. I don’t think Manny is on anything, but the belief that he isn’t because of his size is not one I am going to buy into. I may be wrong but I am sure the USDA can now detect HGH, once again don’t quote me there. Marion Jones dominated track and field like no other woman has before, truth came out that she was cheating; did she cheat for power or speed? There are different steroids that meet different needs. In Shane’s case I think it helped him more so with endurance, but I also believe that he may not have knew he was taking steroids.

1)Ok let's get a few things straight here. You keep saying things like "who is
mayweather to demand something like this" or "mayweather is not bigger than
boxing", you keep saying things similar to that... But G, it's not really about
Mayweather thinking he's bigger than boxing. It's about this being the biggest
fight in who knows how long. It's about this being the richest fight in boxing
history. You even said that "this has never been asked for in any other fight",
but this isn't just "another" fight. Can you name me another fight where both
fighters were guaranteed 25 million dollars? Who is pacquaio to demand a 10
million dollar a pound weight penalty? That's never been asked for in a fight.
Will he ask for that for ALL of his fights from now on? Is he trying to change
and madate this in boxing? When is the last time a fight has been the main story
on espn like this one? When's the last time the 2 best lb for lb fighters in the
world fought? This isn't just a fight. It's THE fight! Why is it such a big deal? There hasn't
been a fight of this magnitude in ages, common sense tells us there will be some
demands from both fighters. Mayweather accepted Pacquiaos ridiculous 10 million
dollar demand, why can't Manny accept this testing if he really has nothing to
hide?2)Pacquaio wants to sue now? I have yet to hear Mayweather Jr, Ellerbe,
Haymon, or anyone from Golden Boy Promotions accuse him of steroid use. The only
one that has said something, and correct me if I'm wrong, is Mayweather Sr.
Pacquaio and his camp are the ones that are making Pacquiao look guilty. All
their BS excuses made him look guilty. First they said no because of
superstition, then because he's afraid of needles, and last because it will
weaken him. It isn't superstition because in Pacquiao/Hatton 24/7 episode 3,
with less than 2 weeks before the fight, Pacquiao goes to the doctor to get some
blood work done, and we all know the
result of that fight. It isn't because of his fear for needles because in that
episode when he was getting the blood work done, he was looking at the needle
and looked very calm and relaxed, and he's all tatted up too. And last it isn't
cause it'll weaken him. The most they'll take at a time is a tspn of blood. That
will NOT weaken you. So in my opinion, this lawsuit is just plain pointless and
Pacquaio made himself look guilty by making this such a huge deal when it's
nothing. Mayweather will get tested too. I just think people acting like this is
Mayweathers fault is so stupid. Oh yeah, Leonard has always said that Mayweather
has nothing to do with this, so why all the hate towards Mayweather?

Ishe Response: As I said beforehand, I don’t understand why Manny is being subject to take these tests when the sport doesn’t require him to do so. Who cares what his superstitions are, the bottom line is the facts are the facts, and when the commission decides to take blood and do random sampling I think Manny wouldn’t have a problem doing so. Why should a fighter be subject to be sleeping in the middle of the night being waked up to take a test, or being disturbed during camp? I can see both sides here, I am not saying Floyd is wrong, but it’s a little farfetched in my book, and this whole testing thing needs to be dropped.

How is Greg Leon a hater? I find it very noble that a writer can be fair with his observations no matter who he is observing. I for one have went back n forth with Greg about Mayweather for years. And Greg has been very patient with Floyd. But lately Floyd has caught shit. So what! Do u remember how Floyd talked about
Zab's whole purse being sucked up after their fight. And how Don King was raping him. So why can't a fair minded writer, write a column about a money motivated fighter who calls himself Money. Floyd brags about how he pays for everything in cash but he has liens on him. Which means he has unpaid loans. Floyd also claims
Hatton n Marquez disrespected him by calling him out so he gave them what they wanted. But Mosley and Williams call him out like an umpire and he won't fight them. What writer wouldn't point out these indiscrepancies. I believe that this drug testing BS couldve been handled behind closed doors. Floyd is so fast to go public
with something to make himself look good but this backfired. The public is about 50/50 with this. If I can come up with a compromise they can. Both fighters should be given a urine test once a week every week all the way up to the fight at random times and days. Also the fighters should be given 3 random
blood test before the fight. Just not 48hrs before the fight. And one in the locker rooms immediately after the fight. Its called negotiations. I'm sure Floyd didn't put in the press release he originally wanted this fight at 154 for a b ullshit trinket and they use 10 oz gloves. Floyd and Floyds people are more articulate and manipulative than Mannys that's all. Not more truthful or
upstanding. Don't believe the hype. BREADMAN

Ishe Response: Some compromise definitely needs to be made because this fight is huge. The thought that the UFC is better than boxing is not true, when we give the fans the fights they ask for, there is no better combat sport, PERIOD! Tell me what fight in the UFC can generate so much buzz? I love the UFC, but it cannot touch boxing when we give quality fights. I hope some compromise is made, I think do away with the random test and do the three test Manny said he was willing to do, or just do away with the whole testing thing. I am still shocked to why would we require someone to take something that the sport doesn’t require, but that’s just me. I don’t blame Floyd because it is so many athletes cheating now a days, but the bottom line is your asking for something that is out of the norm and not required and that can cause a very sticky and messy situation.

Ok Greg, Please give me your honest opinion on how a fight between Zab Judah and Manny Pacquiao will go down. Will this be a 12 round competitive fight or a massacre? I'm just asking since you feel that Manny is such a beast and something that you have never seen in the sport of boxing before. Does Zab have the conditioning or chin to go the 12 rounds with the mighty unstoppable Pacman? Does Zab even have a punchers chance since Cotto couldn't hurt Manny and that makes Pacman able to gobble up (No pun intended) all his remaining opponents. I want a honest assessment. I know you would not post this in your mailbag because real recognize real. You say you call it like you see it. Well if that's the truth then what's your answer. Shawn Florida

Ishe Response: Anyone who laces those gloves up has a chance, the thought that Zab would just get beat down is a matter of opinion. I think Zab would be a live underdog, I don’t know if he would have enough to win, but I wouldn’t count him out either. Anyone who fights Pacman is going to be up and train very hard for the fight, and when Zab is at his best, it’s hard not to consider him a live underdog against anyone.

G, alright now, you said you would call out pacquiao when you felt he deserved it. Now tell me this isn't hypocritical, he wants to sue floyd (who has never actually accused him of anything) but he wants to fight paulie malignaggi (who accused him of doping)? Now what sense does that make. I was really feeling pacman up unitl his refusal to take these olympic style drug testing. Also,
didnt Freddy Roach say that pac would take and pass any test the mayweather camp asked him to? He speaks for Many any other time all of a sudden he's as quiet as a mouse! Im sorry but Im one fan pac is in serious danger of losing over this bs. I want to see this fight happen and I now feel like he's got something to
hide. The last time he took a blood test the week of a fight he lost to Morales, then in the rematch, no blood test and he becomes the first ever man to stop Morales. The Morales trilogy made me a fan of Manny but now I have to wonder if he was doped up. Also,
I know this means nothing but just putting it out there, look at the size of his HEAD! Reminds me of Barry Bonds foreal! Rich, Raleigh

Ishe Response: LOL at the head comment, I don’t think Manny is doping. I think it’s a matter of pride and egos getting involved here and I think it will get sorted out. You can’t fault Manny for not wanting to do it and you can’t fault Floyd for asking for it, they just need to reach a common medium here. I think it will get done, maybe not by March 13th, but this fight will happen, trust me.

Are they saying that they know and can do better than these expert Commissions?
America must have wasted a lot of effort, money and time.
Team Mayweather is simply showing their true color and the mother of all double
standards. First, they admitted will not require this test to other opponents.
Second, this very same group of hypocrites rejected the USADA idea before, now
they are serenading this agency to conduct tests to Pacman. Why sing a different
tune now? Pacman willing to do USADA but not as badweather dictates. He's not
the commission. He is charging pacman as guilty of using PED based on their mere
ignorant suspicions. Pacquiao has been certified, based on facts, by the State
commission as drug free and clean for all his last fights in Nevada. Just like
the rest of the champions. What else do you want? Floyd Mayweather as a champion
is deemed questionable and tainted if he insists on this non-sense drug testing
(outside commission). Simply because he doesn't believe in the integrity of
tests by the professional boxing commission (State Commission). And in fairness
to himself and
his unfounded allegations, he should be the one to renounce his belts now (if
he still has). This also applies to Delahoya and all the boxing champions and
greats who are not convince of the impartiality and competency of the
professional boxing governing body. Mayweather simply doesn't want to fight
Manny.

Ishe Response: I agree, Floyd asking for these test creates a very ugly situation for him, and one writer was right, it’s about a 50/50 spilt right now and I think most fans are starting to sway towards Manny now. Floyd has a lot of haters for no reason, this only feeds them to hate more for asking for these tests. I agree at some point boxing needs to step up its testing procedures, but I don’t think it’s in Floyd’s power to dictate that, and to be honest I think Manny is taking it personal. The notion to accuse someone who has never failed a test is ridiculous, that’s like accusing someone of cheating who has maintained straight A’s all through school. Just my opinion…..

What up G, I am confused with people calling Mayweather scared, look prior to all of this pump faking, It was known that Mayweather wanted Olympic testing, It was no problem until the word random came up, Mayweather is not scared, when
Manny wanted to fight at a catchweight people complied because he had leverage, well no leverage here this time so Arum wants to have a hissy fit a scream the fight is off like a little bitch, now I understand that there is always some postering going on, with a fight of this magnitude I expected problems but I always expected the date to change myself, I know Freddie Roach wanted more time to prepare so I will figure this is want they want. Now I know you said that if they would have told you from the jump that the Nevada commission test was not good enough then you would have told them to go F themselves, but they didnt G,
they said ok, until the random testing part came up, Now this same commission never caught Mosley right?? they never caught aaron pryor and Panama right (yeah reaching but stay with me) Look how gay they are acting now, a lawsuit, that is so he can back down off the testing, I would say to hell with that and really want testing now since they are so sensitive, they will work things out, its to much money to walk away from so I am sure it will happen but the lawsuit is a joke, you are suing because it went public that you dont want the test and everyone is beginning to ask why not so blame yourself Manny, this was not an eleventh hour demand, so drop the charade, give up the blood

Ishe Response: HGH and other steroids were so advance that the USDA couldn’t even detect them, a la Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery, so I don’t think it’s the commission fault they did not catch Shane. People just found a way to beat the system and did it for awhile. I don’t think Floyd is scared, I don’t think Manny is guilty, what I do think is that this situation is getting messier and messier every time this drug testing issue keeps getting brought up. My opinion is this; don’t ask for something that is not required of the sport. Every sport has rule and regulations and guidelines you must follow, asking for something that is not required by the sport itself is farfetched and creates a mess. The weight penalty has nothing to do with the commission, there are a lot of factors that are negotiated in a big fight that has nothing to do with the sport itself, like gloves, when you have two champions fighting each other who will walk first and get introduced last. The problem with this is that this is not between the fighters themselves, this is asking for testing procedures that boxing doesn’t asking for and that is the problem.

G. I just want to say to Pac Man , on behalf of the men who watch boxing day in and day out . We really don't want to hear all this whining about slander and character bashing. Just imagine how all the courts would be filled up with this B.S if every man in the world wanted to sue someone over being called a bitch or being accused of being a homo or anything less than what he was. Floyd as well as Ali and most fighters say or do something to bring you guards down. Hell , Ali did it to Frazier and all that came of it was an apology on down the line . Frazier displayed a good ass whoopin and that was that. Floyd pulled the same mess on Diego , (God rest his soul and Merry Xmas to his family)., regardless
the outcome , Diego came to fight. I love you Pac Man as a fighter and even as a person brother, but you gotta get past name calling and just suck it up like a man ... You are up against a slick talking and arguably the pound for pound best fighter in the world. I'm not saying you cant win, but Floyd has made a fool out of me one too many times...Merry Xmas to you and your family ...Friend and fan

Ishe Response: I agree with you, the problem here is when a athlete is accused of steroid use it kills all the accomplishments they had over their respective careers, just ask Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Marion Jones. Only Manny knows if he is innocent, and if he is, he doesn’t want his name associated with steroid use in any way, and for that I don’t blame him. I think winning a case is a long shot, but you can’t blame him for defending his name.

Greg, The bottom line to me is that Pacquiao and his team gave in and conceeded to the blood testing when they are certainly not required to do so. They said that they will give as much urine until Pacquiao can't piss anymore, and they said they will give 3 samples of blood on top of the urine tests. Roach has said, again to get the fight done, that they will give blood samples up to 5
days within the fight and immediatly after the fight in the dressing room as well as a 3rd sample which I believe was to be given in January. This is all over and above what the commission requires. So isn't that good enough? I see one side who wants to get the fight done, even if it means making concessions by doing things that are not required, and I see the other side as wanting to get out of the fight. At this point I can understand why Pacquiao and his team are looking for another opponent. Also, where is the smoking gun that would even suggest that Pacquiao
has ever taken illegal substances? There is no link between him and some Balco like laboratory, and there has never been a positive result for anything in his career. Baseball's Mark McGwire had a bottle labled "andro" that was spotted in his locker during the 1998 season, so there was some reasonable belief that he was taking a performance enhancer. This is not the case with Pacquiao. I fault Mayweather and his team for this and it pisses me off. We are getting jipped out of what should be a great fight and the biggest dollar grossing fight in history. Mayweather and his team are looking very small for this and I blame them for the fight not happening. Brian from NJ

Ishe Response: All great points Brain, that’s why I have said over and over again that taking this stance outside the commission guidelines creates a very sticky situation and one that may just back fire on Team Mayweather.

Greg, as a Mosley fan I get even more pissed with Manny and Floyd. Do I want to see the mega fight? Hell yes but both parties are frontin' too much. The old man waits and has to stay on a win steak fighting Berto which he could lose. I hope guys give Shane his love as a legend who walks the walk. I think Floyd has all the skills to pay the bills but he lacks that do or die mind state that gets fans worked up. My betting mind says Floyd while my heart says Manny. As for Shane, he should keep fighting and try to collect belts or just fight the best while these two pose for pictures. Aaron (Precise) Blount #1 Mosley Fan

Ishe Response: Aaron if Shane beats Berto, which in my book will not be a easy task, and Manny goes ahead and fights Paulie or Yuri, then the fight that has to be made is Floyd vs Shane, hands down. There is no other fight out there that the fans would want to see, and I wouldn’t blame Floyd for asking for blood testing with that one because Shane has admitted to steroid use. The fight would do over a million some pay-per view buys and it would be an excellent scrap. Let’s wait and see what happens with this one first.

I never ever get personal on websites but I have to now. I have been getting into fights with my friends every since this situation about blood testing hit the news streams. I have had to resort to using my personal experiences to make people understand Manny's stance. So I told my friends that I overheard a
supervisor at my old job ask somebody how can I afford my car on my salary. That supervisor had no idea if I had another job, if I lived with my parents and I had no bills except the car note, hell he didn't even know for sure if it was my car or not. Now I asked my friends if my supervisor asked me to give him a copy of bank statements for the last year and he wanted extensive copies of my credit reports, would they do it if they were me. I also asked them if that same supervisor asked me to give more urines than any other person at that job ever had to, just because he thought I was a drug dealer because there would be no other concievable way I could afford my car and if I sold drugs I could partake in some drug use. Not one of my friends who are on Floyd Mayweathers side could answer me and say yes I would give in to the supervisor. Sometimes principle outweighs

Ishe Response: Yea it was hard to follow you but I get your point :) this is turning into a very ugly and messy situation.

Closing thoughts and Nuggets: With steroid use plaguing this generation in mostly every sport, one must appreciate how great Bernard Hopkins has been to the sport of boxing. This guy continues to dominate the sport and is doing so at the young age of 44, when most boxers are completely done by this age, not only has he dominated, but he has remained on top of the sport at this age. I don’t know if this has ever been done before by any fighter at this age in the history of boxing, this guy is being called out by other fighters, unbelievable. Truly one of the greatest fighters in boxing history and he will be missed when he is gone....I think Berto’s speed will be a lot for Shane Mosley to deal with come Jan 30th, Oscar always gave Shane problems and one can argue that Berto is more athletic than Oscar, should be interesting...Paul Williams going back down to welterweight might be a good move for the champion...How could Pavlik not be ready for Williams, but be ready a week later, things that make you go hmmmm...Will the real American Heavyweights please stand up...When promoters are often being accused of blood sucking leaches, I don’t think Lou Dibella was given much credit for stepping down as Taylor’s promoter, props to Lou...When will Julio Jr. fight anyone with a pulse? I heard that Yuri Foreman was going to defend his belt against Powel Wolak on the undercard of Money vs. PacMan, if that fight happens, can you think of anyone more deserving of a title shot at 154lbs then Wolak? Where oh where did Harry Joe Yorgey go? Paging Lennox Lewis, please apply for US Citizenship and bring a title to the US, Paging George Foreman, we are in need of some serious help. My boy Iron Mike, please come out of retirement and become champion again...If you judge a fight 120 to 108 or 118 to 110 in a highly contested fight, and the other judges have it 115-113 either way, you should be banned a year and have to apply for a re-instatement...good to see boxingtalk.com back in heavy rotation, good to have you back Greg...Hottest Rap Album of the year, Blue Print 3, Hottest R&B Album of the Year, Ready (Trey Songz), worst call of the year goes to Kanye West for interrupting Taylor Swift’s speech...back to boxing, worst judge of the year, Gale E. Van Hoy, how can a fighter call you out before a fight, and you prove him right by handing in one of the worst scorecards of the year? Ok boys and girls I am signing off, ema

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing: What will 2010 bring?

By Dennis Broadhurst: Well there are some great fights which could be made in 2010, some great stylistic match ups which will give us some interesting tactical fights and some sheer wars in some cases. I certainly hope that all the fights will be made, for the fans sake and for the legacy of the fighters.

The first of the fights I am looking forward to is Mosley vs Berto. At 38, Mosley is nearing the end of his career and has been boxing for years, but nobody can say he is “old”, especially after seeing his performance against Antonio Margarito early this year in which he took out the Mexican in nine rounds. This was a fantastic performance in which Mosley showed really how good he still is. Andre Berto on the other hand has years ahead of him at only 26 years old. He is a very fast, powerfull and skillful fighter who has great defence and an extremely hard uppercut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dERgTBonUKw&feature=related – I think that Mosley will win this because of his experience and power but I would not be at all suprised if he didn’t, this is hard to predict but I think, and hope that Mosley can edge it.

The second fight I am really looking forward to is Froch vs Kessler. Oh what a war that will be! We all know how Froch struggled to catch the marathon runner Dirrel (I do regret my previous article saying Dirrel schooled Froch), winning a split decision which was far from convincing. We also all know how Kessler was beaten by Ward in dramatic fashion. Both fighters will be eager to impress, both fighters are tough, have bags of courage and are both big punchers.

This will be a war and perhaps the fight I am looking forward to the most. I believe that the fact that Kessler keeps his hands up at his face and is a better overall fighter than Froch may give him the edge but Froch can never be counted out with his unmatched heart and chin.

Moving onto the bigger men, I want to see Haye take on Vitali Klitschko, providing he defeats Ruiz which I think he easily will. The reason I want Haye to take on Vitali is that I don’t think the older Klitschko will be round for much longer and if Haye does not take his chance now then he may never be able to. I now give Haye more chance against Vitali than I would have a month or two ago. I first of all believe that Haye is getting better, he has phenomenal power, great footwork, good ring intelligence and good head movement.

The issue of Haye’s chin will always hang over him but first of all I believe that when he lost to Carl Thompson he lost to a one of a kind, cat with nine lives and it was more of a case of gassing himself out than a glass chin. Secondly I believe that even though Haye may be going up against more power with these big guys, his chin will have improved since his cruiserweight days as he can now fill out his body better and will not at all drain himself. Vitali on the other hand seems to be growing older, he would be at least 39 by the time he would fight Haye and is not a George Foreman or Bernard Hopkins.

His body is not made of iron and although he has still got his iron chin, his body will not be getting any stronger and injuries have not helped. Haye would need to fight hard against Vitali, pounding him round after round and then I think Vitali may retire in the later rounds. There is of course the chance that Haye gets caught with a shot from Vitali which takes his legs away but I think and hope that Haye’s head movement would keep him out of most trouble. I think Haye-Vitali is 50-50 and either man could win. I also believe that if Haye cleans up the Klitscho brothers then he may be undisputed champ for a long time as nothing promising has sprung up recently.

The last fight, and most obvious one that everyone wants to take place is Pacquiao-Mayweather. That is right, I won’t say Mayweather-Pacquiao, why should I ? What has Mayweather done to deserve the first place? Manny is a 7 time, 7 weight world champion he is the current WBO welterweight champion and is also the P4P king of the sport. Mayweather is a five time world champion, two less than Pacquiao, has no belts and is not P4P king so why treat him as royalty? Well quite obviously because he has the money and is an American. We all know that this fight is the biggest in dare I say it,10, 15 or maybe even 20 years. Two great, at this time seemingly invincible opponents, one who is one of the greatest defensive fighters in history and another who is one of the most explosive, dangerous fighters in history.

This fight will be a tough fight for both. Pacquaio has never faced anyone with the defence of Mayweather but Mayweather has not faced anyone as dangerous as Pacquiao is just now in offence. I believe that Manny would need time to work out Mayweather and his defence but eventually would use his speed and phenomenal fitness to get through Mayweather and stop him in the later rounds.

There is also the chance that Mayweather would out-box Pacquaio but I do not see that happening in every exchange for twelve rounds. Mayweather would not be facing a bloated lightweight with rolsl of fat around the waistline in the fight that is still 4lbs lighter than him, he will be fighting an almost defined warrior who has a fully built welterweight frame. Me prediction for this fight is a late stoppage or decision for Manny. I could not mention this fight without mentioning PEDs, if Manny does turn out to have cheated all of these opponents then I will be devastated and will have lost a hero but I firmly believe that it was his ability now to train more on technique than getting his weight down which has resulted in his recent greatness.

Jul 24, 2005
Miranda cancels fight with Stieglitz; Jacobs picked for prospect of the year – News

By Jason Kim: Super middleweight contender Edison Miranda (33-4, 29 KO’s) had to pull out of his January 9th bout against World Boxing Organization super middleweight champion Robert Stieglitz yesterday because the 28-year-old Miranda has been sick with a bad case of the flu. Miranda will need at least 4 to 6 weeks to fully recover from the illness, but still wants to attempt to make the fight with Stieglitz, if possible, at that time. If not, then Miranda will be looking to see if he can land a fight with IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute.

Miranda recently stopped Franciso Sierra in the 1st round in October to capture the interim WBO NABO super middleweight title. Earlier in 2009, Miranda lost a lopsided 12 round decision to Andre Ward in May. Miranda was too slow to catch up to the speedy Ward, and was never a factor in the fight.

Rafael picks Jacobs as prospect of the year

ESPN writer Dan Rafael has picked 22-year-old middleweight contender Daniel Jacobs (18-0, 15 KO’s) as the prospect of the year for 2009. Jacobs, a former amateur star in the U.S., defeated the following fighters in 2009: Jose Luis Cruz, Jose Varela, Michael Walker, George Walton and Ishe Smith. Jacobs stopped three of the fighters and looked good up until recently when he was staggered by the defensively oriented Smith in Jacob’s 10 round decision in August. Jacobs struggled in that fight with the veteran Smith, and incredibly seemed like the weaker puncher of the two, despite all the hype surrounding Jacob’s punching power.

Jacobs has been matched really softly since coming up from the amateur ranks, and because of the low quality of many of his opponents, he was able to stop most of them without too many problems. Only recently has Jacobs been put in with good fighters, and his knockouts are starting to dry up, as you expect.

Although still very green and limited in terms of experience against quality opposition, Jacobs has been pushed up fast in the middleweight rankings where he currently sits at number #5 WBO and, #5 WBA. I don’t that Jacobs has the talent to be a champion. He doesn’t throw combinations and seems to load up too much with his shots. If he was a monstrous puncher, then I could see him doing well, but he doesn’t punch as hard as some people think. I also didn’t like seeing Jacobs get staggered by the light punching Smith. That’s surely not a good sign for the future. I can only imagine what would have happened to Jacobs had he been put in with a puncher like Kelly Pavlik. While as an amateur, Jacobs struggled against the big punching Matvey Korobov.

The one good thing that Jacobs has going for him is that the middleweight division is so poor at this time. There are a handful of good fighters like Kelly Pavlik, Felix Sturm, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, and a bunch of good but flawed fighters like Gennady Golovkin, Matthew Macklin, Hassan N’Dam, Anthony Mundine, Roman Karmazin, Dmitry Pirog, Sebastian Sylvester, Daniel Geale, and Giovanni Lorenzo. I see Jacobs as a flawed fighter, and not among the top fighters. However, even the top guys are very flawed as well. The division, like I said, is very weak, and I can’t see any of them beating any of the top super middleweights like Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell, Lucian Bute, and Mikkel Kessler.

Among the other names that Rafael has picked as the top prospects for 2009 are the following fighters:

Saul Alvarez
Demetrius Andrade
Chris Avalos
Adrien Broner
Danny Garcia
Miguel Garcia
Frankie Gavin
Gennady Golovkin
Fernando Guerrero
Omar Henry
Marcus Johnson
Mike Jones
Matvey Korobov
Erislandy Lara
David Lemieux
Roberto Marroquin
Vanes Martirosyan
Shawn Porter
Rico Ramos
Guillermo Rigondeaux
Edwin Rodriguez
Odlanier Solis
Antown Smith
Deontay Wilder

Out of this group, I’d pick a small handful that I think will amount to something and possibly end up a champion. Johnson, Rigondeaux, Lara, Andrade and Golovkin will all likely be champions at some point in the near future. I can’t see the other fighters ending up as champions. They need a lot of work. However, I do think they’ll be good contenders and will stick around for awhile.

Jul 24, 2005
Review of the year: A look at the good and bad of 2009 in boxing Part 1

By Michael Taylor: This year has been an up and down year, with plenty of complications and drama, it has also had tragedy and the making of many new champions, spectacular knockouts and terrible decisions, justice has been served but some not. After a hectic year I am going to review the year month my month on the big events that took place. There have been plenty of bad times this year, we have lost some great young fighters, but it will be balanced out with the good of this year, the emerging of future greats and the retirements of some legends of the ring. This is my first full year of being a boxing fan and now I have the chance to review it.

January: In early January a great bout for May 2nd was arranged between pound-for-pound best boxer Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton. The bout was in talks from December 2008 and was then officially arranged in January. Later that month on 17th January Andre Berto defended his WBC Welterweight title for the second time. He won a close and slightly disputed decision over Luis Collazo. Collazo hurt Berto on occasions and was the one who made a fight of it, but Berto got the decision 116-111 and 114-113 twice. Many people disputed the decision but Berto got the nod. The next weekend Shane Mosley came back from a disappointing last second knockout of Ricardo Mayorga to shock the world and take out WBA Welterweight king Antonio Margarito. But Mosley’s 9th round stoppage wasn’t the biggest talking point, but Margarito using illegal substance in his wraps. It was a bad story for boxing, and Margarito and his trainer Javier Capetillo were banned from boxing in America for 12 months. Maybe Margarito’s bad display was because he was caught and that was on his mind, or he was just outclassed by a better fighter.

February: In February we start off with the retirement of unbeaten Welshman Joe Calzaghe. Joe was unbeaten in 45 fights and retired following his November points victory over Roy Jones Jr. It wasn’t much of a surprise that Calzaghe retired although he still had options, such as a rematch with Bernard Hopkins or a fight with unbeaten Chad Dawson. Then on the 7th February, Vic Darchinyan retired Jorge Arce in a grudge match at Super Flyweight, it was a total dominant performance by Darchinyan and the fight was stopped by the doctor on a cut over Arce’s right eye, which was caused by the ropes. Then on the 14th Ali Funeka was defeated by majority decision to Nate Campbell at Lightweight. The fight was to be for Nate’s IBF,WBO and WBA Lightweight titles, but failed to make the weight by 3lbs. Although he wasn’t able to get down to 135lbs the fight still went ahead, but if Campbell won he couldn’t keep his titles. Campbell floored Funeka twice but looked outclassed for most of the fight, but unfortunately for Ali the knockdowns cost him the fight. Then the next weekend we saw the return of Miguel Cotto and Kelly Pavlik both on separate cards. Kelly defended his WBC and WBO Middleweight titles against mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio. Pavlik dominated all but the 6th round where Rubio came to life before he retired on his stool after 9 rounds. Then Miguel Cotto won a quick a decisive 5th round stoppage over British Michael Jennings for the vacant WBO Welterweight title. Jennings was way out of his league and was floored twice, the second time the referee had seen enough. February didn’t end just there with my favourite fight of the year between Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz. The fight was for the vacant WBA and WBO and Diaz’s IBO and Marquez’s ring lightweight titles. Diaz started brilliantly before Marquez suddenly came on cutting Diaz and flooring him in the 8th with a beautiful uppercut. Then Marquez finished the job in the 9th stopping Diaz on his back. On the undercard Chris John and Rocky Juarez fought to a draw in another great fight.

March: On the 13th March Amir Khan stopped Mexican warrior Marco Antonio Barrera on cuts, in a career turning fight, which saw Barrera suffer a very nasty cut on his forehead. A week later Vitali Klitschko defended his WBC Heavyweight title for the first time since retaining it last October against Juan Carlos Gomez. On the same night Irishman Bernard Dunne dethroned Ricardo Cordoba in a classic battle which saw 5 knockdowns in 11 rounds.

April: On the 4th April Timothy Bradley defended his WBC Light Welterweight title and gained the WBO belt by coming back from two knockdowns in the first and last rounds against Kendall Holt. Bradley took the fight by split decision despite Bradley dominating most of the fight. Then on 14th April Oscar De La Hoya announced his retirement from boxing in Los Angeles, after being defeated in December to pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao. It was a wave goodbye to a great career, but his Golden Boy Promotions he would still be a big face in the sport of boxing. Then the week after Carl Froch retained his WBC Super Middleweight title with a knockout over Jermain Taylor with just 16 seconds to spare before Taylor was to be crowned champion. Carl went down in the 3rd but came back to floor and stop Taylor on his feet in the final round.

May: On the 2nd of May the hugely anticipated bout between Hatton and Pacquiao was ended in just two rounds with 3 knockdowns, the final being a nasty uppercut which knocked Hatton out cold. Pacquiao was at his destructive best, and Hatton was lain down in a hospital bed to have brain scans, which thank god, came back negative. The week after Chad Dawson beat Tarver for a second time on points.

June: Early in the month David Haye called off his WBO/IBF Heavyweight shot at Wladimir Klitschko due to a shoulder injury. On 13th June Miguel Cotto came back against tough Ghanaian Joshua Clottey at Madison Square Garden. Cotto fought a tough and hard fight flooring Clottey for the first time in his career in the first round with a strong jab. Cotto was cut badly once again but fought on to win a sloppy Split Decision. The week after Wladimir Klitschko retained his titles against late replacement Ruslan Chagaev.

July: July started with very sad news of the news that Alexus Arguello had took his own life at his home. Alexus was a three weight champion and was in politics and the news was just the start of a nasty cycle of deaths. The next week Arturo Gatti was found dead on his honeymoon with his wife and baby son. Gatti had hung himself after speculation that his wife had strangled him. Gatti was recently retired and was only 37 and will always be remembered for his great battles with Mickey Ward. On 11th July Vic Darchinyan was schooled by Bantamweight champion Joseph Agbeko and was sent back to where he belonged. Then Miguel Cotto vs Manny Pacquiao was confirmed for November 14th while Amir Khan beat WBA Light Welterweight champion Andreas Kotelnik at the MEN arena in Manchester. Just at the end of July David Haye signed a deal to fight 7ft 2in WBA Heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev while Light Middleweight contender Vernon Forrest was shot dead after he had his wallet stolen. Vernon will always be remembered for his victories over Shane Mosley in the ring, and out he will be remembered as a charitable man, who is dearly missed

Jul 24, 2005
Review of the year: A look at the good and bad of 2009 in boxing Part 2

By Michael Taylor: August: At the beginning of August Devon Alexander was introduced to the big time with a victory over Junior Witter, retiring Witter for the vacant WBC Light Welterweight title. On the same show, Timothy Bradley and Nate Campbell’s WBO Light Welterweight clash ended in a no-contest, as a head butt caused a nasty cut over Nate’s left eye, and the fight was stopped. It was originally called a TKO victory for Bradley but was later overruled to a no-contest. Then near the end of the month Juan Diaz defeated Paulie Malignaggi in his home town of Houston.

One of the judges was rumoured to have been close to Diaz’s family and Malignaggi looked ripped off, and was very annoyed after the fight, but annoyed couldn’t describe it. Then at the end of August Tavoris Cloud defeated Clinton Woods in a brutal fight for the vacant WBC Light Heavyweight title. Cloud like Alexander was introduced to the big time, and both have bright futures.

September: Nothing much happened in September until Irish Olympian Darren Sutherland was found dead by his promoter Frank Maloney. Sutherland was found hung and was put down as suicide. The young talent was suffering from depression, but none of this went to press so it was a huge shock to hear. Then on September we had the return of the Pretty Boy, Floyd Mayweather Jr against Lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez. They fought at 145lbs but Mayweather disobeyed the agreements and came in at 146lbs and was given a penalty by a very emotional Richard Schaefer. Mayweather dominated the fight from start to finish, hardly moving off first gear, flooring Marquez in the second. A week later Vitali Klitschko took apart American hopeful Chris Arreola landing countless amount of shots to stop the weeping challenger in the 10th.

October: Juan Manuel Lopez was finally exposed against challenger Rogers Mtagwa, in a fight which shouldn’t have been a problem for WBO Super Bantamweight champion. Lopez struggled at the end but was too far ahead and won on points. Then came the beginning of the Super Six tourney. Carl Froch defeated Andre Dirrell on split decision to defend his WBC title in a sloppy fight. While in Germany Arthur Abraham sparked out Jermain Taylor with 6 seconds remaining in a fight which Taylor run out of steam once again, and was sent unconscious by the final knockout.

November: At the beginning of November the biggest boxing event I’ve seen in Britain happened between David Haye and Nikolay Valuev. The WBA champ slowly plodded after Haye all fight, and was outpointed on majority decision where neither fighter really convincingly won rounds. It was a huge win for Haye, and all of Britain. The week after Manny Pacquiao was back against Miguel Cotto, both fighters looked in great shape, but it was Manny who was just too good, flooring Cotto in rounds 5 and 6. Then Manny went on to steam roll a badly cut Miguel Cotto before stopping him in the final round. The week after Andre Ward upset WBA Super Middleweight champion in the final fight of the first round of the Super Six tourney. Ward used his head more than his fists and the referee called the fight off in the 11th and Ward took the technical decision.

December: Then at the beginning of December the proposed Hopkins-Jones rematch was ruined in one round as IBO Cruiserweight champion Danny Green destroyed Roy. But later there has been speculation from Jones that Green was using illegal substances in his gloves. Amir Khan defended his title with a 72 second victory over unknown Dmitriy Salita, flooring him 3 times the first in the first 10 seconds. Then the year ended with Vitali Klitschko beating Kevin Johnson on points in a lopsided fight, but Johnson is only the second fighter to go the distance with Klitschko. Then Kelly Pavlik returned to the ring after a hand infection and pulling out of a fight with Paul Williams, winning easily against unknown Miguel Espino. The years ends not so greatly as we wait to see whether or not the great fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather will happen, and now the speculation that Manny could be using steroids ends a great year, and a great year of controversy.

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Inspiration

By Michael Taylor: Since starting watching boxing just over a year ago, I have finally found a sport I love. I tried football and rugby but boxing tops them both. I haven’t been into boxing very long; I first started watching it when Amir Khan used to be on ITV, then the first real big event I watched was Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Ricky Hatton. Last year was when I really started to enjoy the sport, just before the fight between Antonio Margarito vs Miguel Cotto.

Since I have become a big fight fan, and unfortunately I’m no expert on fights before I started to watch the sweet science. I have read plenty of books on these older fighters, and watched many of Muhammad Ali’s fights and Mike Tyson’s. I have also enjoyed watching Roy Jones Jr and other various recent fights which I missed, such as Manny Pacquiao’s two fights with Juan Manuel Marquez, and De La Hoya vs Mayweather.

Other fights I have enjoyed since watching boxing include, Manny Pacquiao vs De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto, and one of my favourites Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz. Since Setanta Sports dropped out I haven’t been able to watch any big live fights.

Being able to watch the prime Manny Pacquiao is a great honour and also being able to see Floyd Mayweather and other top fighters. Seeing Freddie Roach train Manny Pacquiao into a superstar and seeing him transform Amir Khan from when I started watching Amir.

Ricky Hatton is one of my favourite fighters, being British he was the biggest boxing name I knew when I first got into boxing, but I have become a huge fan of David Haye. All other fighters I like as well, there is no fighter I dislike or like more than each other, so I rarely have a favourite in a fight.

Also I have seen almost the end of Roy Jones Jr’s career and the comeback of Shane Mosley and David Haye winning the World Heavyweight title. Thank you for listening to my first article about how boxing has inspired me.