Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Bradley is the truth, I do believe he may be deserving of the top 10 pound 4 pound list.

As for Malignaggi, Urango is probably one of the only top guys at 140 I can see him beating. Bradley, Amir Khan, Devon Alexander and of course Pacquiao would all fuck him up. And I'd love to see him get smashed on.
I'd pick Malignaggi over Alexander. I'd pick Bradley & Khan over him and I don't count Pacquiao as a JWW .. he'll never return to that weight again.

Jul 24, 2005
Booth denies reaching Haye-Klitschko agreement

Reports of a bout agreement reached between world heavyweight titleholders David Haye and Vitali Klitschko are wide of the mark, insist ‘The Hayemaker’s trainer and manager Adam Booth.

It had been reported that WBC champion Klitschko claimed a ‘preliminary agreement’ was struck with Haye to meet at some stage in 2010. However, Booth has strongly disputed these comments, reiterating that no contact has been made with the Klitschko camp since Haye’s November title triumph over Nikolai Valuev..

“There is absolutely no agreement in place for David Haye to face Vitali Klitschko next year,” said Booth. “We have had no contact with Vitali Klitschko or his team and were surprised to see him make those comments over the weekend.

“David’s next fight will be against American mandatory (number one) challenger John Ruiz, and that will go ahead in either April or May. It will take place in England and David will need to be at his best to come through that.

“The Klitschkos are very much on our agenda for 2010, but nothing is set in place and nothing has been agreed or arranged. We haven’t heard anything from the Klitschko camp since David won the WBA title and subsequently strengthened his bargaining position.”

Jul 24, 2005
Gary Hyde wins judgment to manage 2-time Olympic champion Guillermo Rigondeaux

MIAMI (Dec. 16, 2009) – Irish boxing manager Gary Hyde yesterday won a legal judgment in Miami to manage 2-time Olympic champion Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux (3-0, 3 KOs), fighting as a bantamweight, now lives in Los Angeles after defecting from Cuba, where he was a 7-time national champion. The 28-year-old southpaw also won multiple World Championships titles, as well as a gold medal at the 2003 Pan-Am Games, during his incredible 243-4 amateur career. “Rigo” is scheduled to fight tonight (Wed., Dec. 16) in New York City..

“I hope this judgment will deter anybody from contemplating interference with any of my fighters,” Hyde said en route from Ireland to New York City. “When I signed Rigondeaux in 2007, my plan was to bring him to Ireland for a couple of fights and then take ‘Rigo’ and heavyweight sensation Mike Perez to the United States. This plan was hindered by ‘Rigo’s’ failed attempt to defect from the Cuban National Team in Rio De Janeiro in August, 2007. I kept close contact with him when he was sent back to Cuba. After he was banned from boxing on the Cuban National Team, preventing him from winning his third gold medal at the Beijing Olympics, I became increasingly worried that my marketing plan and golden opportunity to manage the greatest amateur boxer of all-time was in jeopardy. I never gave up hope, however, and continued to support ‘Rigo’ and his family as we plotted together his escape from Cuba.

“When the plan was put together for ‘Rigo’ to leave Cuba, he boarded a speed boat bound (Feb., 2009) for Cancun (Mexico), but instead of joining me there, he went to Miami and was pounced on by others. According to ‘Rigo,’ he told those who contacted him that he had signed a contract with me. I was successfully managing three Cuban stars at that stage. When I heard about ‘Rigo’s’ change of heart and decision to go to Miami, I immediately contacted leading Miami-based lawyer William J. Brown. We then sought an injunction preventing ‘Rigo’ from fighting for any other manager.”

Atty. Brown was supported by Atty. Pat English, arguably the foremost lawyer in boxing, as well as boxing expert Tom Moran. Former circuit court judge Michael Chavies ruled yesterday that Hyde’s international management contract should be recognized by the Miami State Courts:

Arbitrator’s Conclusion

1. The permanent injunction shall be granted;

2. Guillermo Rigondeaux Ortiz shall be prohibited from engaging in any boxing match under the management of any person or entity other than Gary Hyde until March 19, 2012.

3. Rigondeaux, however, is free to terminate or breach the Hyde Agreement and then submit himself to liability for damages, as there can be no specific performance ordered for a contract for personal services.

4. If Rigondeaux continues to participate in the boxing industry, he will only be able to work under the management of Gary Hyde, pursuant to his management agreement. If he chooses to not work for Hyde, he will be unable to work for another person or entity, as irreparable harm, no adequate remedy at law, and a clear legal right to the relief requested has been demonstrated.

Hyde also manages three other Cuban boxers who defected and are now fighting as professionals out of Ireland – heavyweight Mike “The Rebel” Perez (8-0, 6 KOs), winner of the World Junior Championships; bantamweight Alexei “The Hurricane” Acosta (9-0, 9 KOs) and super middleweight Luis “El Leon” Garcia (5-0, 4 KOs), both World Junior Championships champion in 2006 – as well as Irish brothers, super middleweights JJ “Slick” (2-0, 2 KOs) and Paddy McDonagh (2-0).

“I whole heartedly put my fighters first and foremost in every decision developing them into the best fighters they can possibly be,” an ecstatic Hyde remarked. “I’m driven by success and internationally recognized as being the manager of the hottest young stable of fighters on the planet. Any managers thinking about stealing my fighters should find their own talent and stay away from mine at all costs.
Article posted on 16.12.2009

Jul 24, 2005
Jean Pascal Has Surgery, June Return Being The Target

ean Pascal has injured his right shoulder during his fight against Adrian Diaconu last Friday night at the bell Center during his second WBC light heavyweight title defence. The result showed a bone fracture in the articulation. The injury happened in the 3rd round. Pascal manage to win the fight mainly with his left hand and the score leaved no doubts 118-110, 117-111, 117-111. According to his corner men the shoulder got off and replaced into the articulation 3 times during the fight, in the 3rd, 5th and 10th round.

Pascal showed tremendous heart, courage and determination not only to go over the injury but to manage to win the fight easier then the first fight with Diaconu last June 19.

To repair the shoulder Pascal had a surgery this morning in a hospital in Laval. The doctor was Dr. David Baillargeon. It was an arthroscopic surgery. Everything went very well with no complications. His shoulder will be immobilise for 3 weeks, then he will need 5 to 6 weeks of rehabilitation before resuming boxing training in full fledge!

The doctors are saying he could be back for a fight in May. Our target date is next June 2010.

Jean Pascal was very active in the last 12 months where he fought 5 times, 4 WBC title fights. He fought 3 WBC light heavyweight title fight in the last 6 months.

Jul 24, 2005
Malignaggi Says: "I Fight Marquez, Winner Gets Hatton"

By Ryan Burton

Junior welterweight standout Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi talks about his recent victory over Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz in this BoxingScene.com exclusive interview. The Magic Man talks about how he was able to control the fight and his future plans for 2010.

BoxingScene.com: First off congratulations on the victory. How would you grade your performance?

Paulie Malignaggi: I thought it was a good performance. I thought I stuck to the game plan. I thought I executed it pretty good but somewhere in the middle of the fight I kinda thought I had too much fun although it didn't cost me with Diaz. I always felt I was a lot a lot better than Diaz and as long as I executed the game plan I felt I would beat him. I didn't like that a couple times I was clowning and I let it affect my focus. I could have been punching when I was clowning and I missed out on a punch or two. Because of that I give myself a B. I would have gave myself an A because I executed the game plan perfectly but because of the clowning I say a B. We did what we planned to do. I beat him pretty thoroughly except for when I was clowning. I clown all the time but there is a time and place for it you know what I am saying?

BoxingScene.com: You hit him a hard right in the 6th round and it looked like you could have went in and got a couple more shots in but you clowned around instead. Why was that?

Paulie Malignaggi: I realized I stunned him and everything but I didn't realized how badly hurt he was. When I fired a couple shots he covered up pretty well and he didn't stumble again. I thought he was hurt a little bit but not too badly hurt. The first time I went back in he blocked it and I thought maybe he wasn't that hurt and that is when I started clowning with him. When I saw it on video I was like aww man he probably was hurt worse than I thought but obviously hindsight is 20/20.

BoxingScene.com: Were you ever concerned the judges might hold your clowning around against you?

Paulie Malignaggi: I really didn't. I was in such total control man. It never really entered my mind.

BoxingScene.com: I think that Diaz only threw 80 total punches through the first two rounds. Were you surprised at his lack of punch output?

Paulie Malignaggi: No I wasn't surprised. I kind of knew that Diaz needs to be planted to throw punches. A guy like me is always going to affect his output with my movement.

BoxingScene.com: Do you feel that Diaz is tailor made for you?

Paulie Malignaggi: Styles make fights you know. The first time around I kept trying to tell people the fight was competitive in a lot of ways because of the advantages he was given. Don't get me wrong I still feel I won the fight. Besides the judges the ring was very small and I couldn't do a lot of the things I like to do because there wasn't any room to really box him. The second time around I had more room to box him and his game plan changed. It seemed that he didn't really have confidence in applying pressure and I was able to box him and take my time with him. He did throw a little bit but he wasn't able to outbox me and deal with my foot speed.

BoxingScene.com: Last time we talked you said you would want to fight Ricky Hatton again or Juan Manuel Marquez. Are those still the fights you want?

Paulie Malignaggi: Yeah. I really want to fight Ricky Hatton. Like I said to Max Kellerman in the HBO interview I say that with respect. I say that as a competitor. I have a lot of respect for Hatton and his family but as a competitor I salivate at the chance to avenge that loss. I feel like I could beat him thoroughly. Marquez is a guy they are talking about him fighting next in his comeback. That is why I said why don't you let me fight Marquez and the winner can fight Hatton. Hatton beat me so easily then he should beat Marquez easily since his last loss for the so called critics. I am telling you I am not the same guy before 08 and I am not the same guy after 08. The proper changes were made and that is the reason why I am looking so much better.

BoxingScene.com: With your new trainer and your renewed emphasis on using your footwork and speed how far can this version of Paulie Malignaggi go?

Paulie Malignaggi: The sky is the limit. The thing about the junior welterweight division that is so exciting is that is probably the deepest division in boxing. I feel that welterweight has the biggest money makers and biggest names but I feel that junior welterweight probably has the most talent. From one to probably ten or fifteen they are all probably dangerous fighters. It makes it difficult to go out and win a world title but at the same time the money opportunities are in abundance in this weight class. I think there are a lot of opportunities to make a name and build myself by beating some very good fighters.

BoxingScene.com: Did you catch the replay of Bradley vs Peterson?

Paulie Malignaggi: I saw the first half of it last night. I didn't get to see it all. Tim looked good. It seemed like Lamont came out tight and didn't really get off early on. I need to see the second half of the fight.

BoxingScene.com: Do you have a message for the fans?

Paulie Malignaggi: I want to just thank the fans. Without them I wouldn't have had this opportunity for a rematch. I told people there were three reasons I got this rematch. One was my performance in the first fight, two was my tirade I threw after the first fight and three was the fact that the fans and the networks and the promoters really made this happen. They said this was the fight the people really wanted to see again. Take away any one of those three factors and I don't think I would have got the rematch. The fans were a very intricate part of me getting the rematch. I have to be thankful for that. Even the people that weren't fans of mine but wanted to see the right thing get done I am thankful for as well. I realize that I get under a lot of people's skin and I am the guy people love to hate. I love playing that role believe me. It is good to see people want to see the right thing happen.

Jul 24, 2005
Roach: "Mayweather is No Hatton, Cotto or Oscar"

By Mark Vester

Trainer Freddie Roach doesn't see Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the same light as Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya or Miguel Cotto. He was very confident of Pacquiao's success against those fighters. Roach is still very confident that Pacquiao can beat Mayweather on March 13 - but he says Mayweather is a much tougher opponent than any of the last three, and it won't be a simple task to knock him out.

"I look at it as a very complicated fight. The truth is, it will be difficult and we have to work a lot with Manny on strategy, because Floyd is a great fighter, fast, very defensive and he is smart. But we still have two months to make it work for everything to happen [for us]," said Roach to The Record.

The fight is not that far away. Much sooner than the previously proposed date in May. Roacj says there is more than enough time to prepare for the big fight. Based on the styles, Roach sees a Pacquiao decision as the most likely outcome. He doesn't think Mayweather will stand still at any point of the fight.

"We are going to spend one month in the Philippines and another in Los Angeles [to prepare] for the fight. I believe we have ideal time to properly prepare and get ready for Pacquiao to win a decision," Roach said.

Jul 24, 2005
Chavez Takes Full Blame For Diuretic, Eyes Sergio Martinez

By Mark Vester

Undefeated junior middleweight/middleweight contender Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for using furosemide prior to his decision win over Troy Rowland on the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard on November 14. Furosemide is a diuretic that causes the rate of urination to increase. After coming up positive in the post-tests, he is facing a suspension and fine from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Chavez has claimed that he used the drug because a few days before the fight he was ill from stuggling to make weight and was actually hospitalized. Chavez received the drug from his doctor to safely drop the weight. Neither Chavez of his doctor were aware that Nevada has a ban on the drug.

He won't blame his doctor or any other person on the team. He is taking the full blame for what happened.

"As the team leader, I take responsibility for what has happened. My doctor (Jose Salazar) knew what I took, but he did not know it was forbidden and I am solely responsible," Chavez Jr. told The Record. "I've been a clean fighter. This is a sport that I like, I adore, and I would never do anything against it. I'm more interested in clearing things up. This will make me grow up a lot."

"Being the son of Julio César Chávez has made this situation a lot bigger but I know it's something the comes with my name. I just want to state my case in Las Vegas and hope they make the most correct decision. I have fought 22 times in the U.S., over half of my fights, and I have never gone through this kind of situation and I was very surprised. But I have to deal with my integrity and for that we are assembling the necessary documents that we have to send to the commission."

Chavez said his plan is still the same. He is testing the waters at middleweight but still plans to target the WBC 154-pounds title, owned by Sergio Martinez. There is doubt that Chavez is able to get back down to 154.

"This is a turning point in my career but my goals are still the same. I hope to fight for a world championship in 2010 as I have been saying. I know I have the tools to give good fights, face good opponents," Chavez said.

Jul 24, 2005
Kelly Pavlik-Miguel Espino This Saturday - Would A Loss End Kelly's Career?

by James Slater - It's no secret the quite terrible time middleweight king Kelly Pavlik has had since his October 2008 points loss to Bernard Hopkins. Suffering his maiden pro defeat was bad enough, but the agonisingly slow to heal staph infection, the forced postponement and then cancellation of a couple of big money fights the injury caused him and the inactivity that has gone along with all of this, coupled with the manner in which some fans and critics have turned against him, served to make 2009 a very bad year for "The Ghost."

Now, finally, the exciting power-puncher returns to action for the first time since February of this year, when he meets durable former "Contender" star Miguel Angel Espino. It goes without saying that Pavlik's career, after all he's been through in the last 14 months or so, could really do with the shot in the arm that a spectacular win would provide it with. If a sensational KO cannot be scored, however, a win is absolutely essential..

Forced to fight or risk being stripped of his belts, the 35-1(31) warrior goes into the Espino fight knowing his very career, at least at top level, is on the line. Will this sense of urgency serve to help Pavlik or hinder him? Knowing he himself has nothing to lose, seeing how most people expect him to lose on Saturday, 29-year-old Espino, 20-2-1(9) may well be the more relaxed fighter in the ring in Youngstown.

Pavlik will find out on Saturday if a long layoff affects him and causes him to suffer from ring-rust. Never before in his pro career has Pavlik been inactive for as long as the ten months he has been out for since his win over Marco Antonio Rubio (although to be fair, Pavlik did have a nine month spell out of action between his October 2005 win over Fulgencio Zuniga and his July 2006 win over Bronco McKart).

But Pavlik has not only been out of action; he has been troubled by the stpah infection, he has seen a number of fans seemingly turn against him over the way the Paul Williams fight failed to come off and he has had problems outside of the ring - what with alleged bar fights and his brother being accused of assault. Will all this be on the champ's mind when he climbs through the ropes inside the ring at The Beeghly Centre in his hometown in a couple of days?

From a fan's standpoint, it is to be hoped Pavlik can get himself back to the form he showed with wins over Edison Miranda and Jermain Taylor. Still a potentially great fighter, "The Ghost," when he's right, is also one of the world's most thrilling-to-watch fighters. With all due respect to the never stopped Espino, a Pavlik win would see to it that there will be the chance for us to see more potentially dynamite battles at 160-pounds.

Pavlik looked okay, if not great, when he hammered out a clear win over Rubio ten months back. A laying out of the Mexican would have been better than the corner retirement Pavlik forced Rubio to take, but the win was solid enough. Who would have dreamt the troubles Pavlik would have to face soon after his first and thus far only post-Hopkins victory?

Pavlik has been through the kind of bad luck that is sufficient to break many a fighter. We won't know for sure until the end result comes on Saturday if this has actually been the case with Kelly himself. But a loss, particularly a comprehensive one, would in all likelihood end Pavlik's career. The middleweight champ knows he can't let that happen.

There will be a tense atmosphere inside the arena on Saturday, and Pavlik's fans may well do a bit of nail biting, but in the end the champ will prevail in my opinion - with a clear points win. Then, hopefully, Kelly will put the last 14 months well and truly behind him and move on to a great 2010

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Odds Boxing News Wire Boxing Rankings Boxing Video Write For Us Boxing Foru

by James Slater - 27-year-old Jonathon Banks (photo: Tom Casino) improved to 23-1(16) last Saturday on the under-card of Klitschko-Johnson, and the Detroit man won for the third time as a heavyweight. Stopping the reasonably durable Marcel Zeller in less than a minute, the former IBF cruiserweight title challenger has never looked better.

Now looking ahead to an eventual shot at a major title at heavyweight, Banks is in negotiations for his next fight. Very kindly taking the time out to speak with me yesterday evening (UK time), Jonathon gave the following answers to my questions:

James Slater: Thanks very much for your time, Jonathon. First of all, congratulations on the quick win in Switzerland over Marcel Zeller.

Jonathon Banks: Thank you..

J.S: Were you looking to make a statement after your last fight?

J.B: Yeah, I was definitely looking to make a statement at heavyweight. I was looking forward to this fight; he [Zeller] is a tough guy who can also punch himself.

J.S: Was that the best win you have shown yet as a heavyweight? I know the fight only lasted 37-seconds!

J.B: So far, yeah, it was. But I believe I can produce much more - the fans have yet to see the best of Jonathon Banks! The thing is, I used to have to kill myself to make weight as a cruiserweight. I was weakened in the last few of my fights at cruiserweight. Now I can eat healthy and train like I want to train and how I need to train.

J.S: Your last fight, in September, was a points win over Javier Mora. By your own admission it was a dull fight; but do you feel you won every round?

J.B: I think I won every round, yeah. But I wasn't satisfied with my performance. I knew I could do better, and I have done. The thing is getting my conditioning better and better, and to stay focused on that. Then I'll get some more early nights like the one I got against Zeller.

J.S: What impressed a lot of experts was the hand speed you showed in Switzerland. Do you feel that speed will trouble a lot of heavyweights?

J.B: I believe my speed has been a product of Jonathon Banks - throughout my whole career, that has been what has allowed me to last with both Klitschko brothers. For camp after camp, for year after year, I've been able to get in and out against those two great heavyweights. My speed is definitely one of my best assets.

J.S: You weighed-in at your highest weight yet for the Zeller fight, at 224. But you looked solid at the weight. Is that your ideal weight do you feel?

J.B: It was my highest weight, yeah. But I was surprised I weighed that high. In camp, I was around 221 at the most, and I was running every day. But when I stepped on the scale [at the official weigh-in] I was like, wow! But I didn't feel heavy at all.

J.S: It is amazing how you looked so trim at 224 and yet you used to make 200-pounds only recently. Is 224 your ideal weight now?

J.B: Something like that, yeah - around 220 to 225. I used to lose energy after a few rounds as a cruiserweight, now I have energy for every round; round after round. All my abilities can come through at heavyweight, where I'm fully strong.

J.S: Can you score more quick KO's like the one you scored on Saturday?

J.B: I believe so. In camp, one of my friends and sparring partners asked me, "have you carried this power with you all those years as a cruiserweight?" And I told him, I don't ever leave home without it! It's like American Express - I never leave home without it!

J.S: Is there any word yet on your next fight, or where it will be?

J.B: My plans are still in development, but I may be fighting for the NABF heavyweight title against Derric Rossy. The fight is not 100-percent yet; I'd say around 70-percent. But I'd make a good statement If I could stop him quickly. He's been stopped by Eddie Chambers and [Alexander] Dimitrenko, but he's a big guy and he's still durable. Rossy comes to fight!

J.S: Is there any word on where that fight will be?

J.B: I'm looking forward to it and I hope that fight will be made. I'm not sure where it will be; maybe in the U.S, or maybe on Wladimir Klitschko's next fight (against Eddie Chambers in Germany on March 20th).

J.S: And are you no longer with Emanuel Steward?

J.B: I'm no longer managed by Emanuel. I was with him since the age of 16 or 17, and everything was in order - we never fell out or had bad words. I have a great team around me now; the number-one guy being my brother - he's in camp a lot more now. The way I look at it; going into a fight is like going into a foxhole. You have to be together, and there can be no doubts. Two guys go in, and both guys should come out together. I think I needed the same guy to be with me all the way through; I needed the same person.

J.S: If you had a choice, which heavyweight champion would you most like to fight?

J.B: I don't really have a preference, seeing as how the two guys who hold nearly all the belts are friends of mine, who I have been in camp with. I don't know how long Vitali can go on for, but maybe he can go on for a while - who knows? I don't look at any champion above the other, but like any fighter, my goal is to become world champion. I'd take a fight for the title anywhere, at any time.

J.S: It's been great speaking to you, Jonathon. For my final question: the only guy you've lost to, in Tomasz Adamek, says he wants to one day fight one of the Klitschkos. But now that you are both at heavyweight, would you like a rematch with him?

J.B: I'd love it. That fight is be a dream of mine and it would really make me happy. It would be a dream come true. I mean, I take my hat off to him, he beat me - but he never beat me at my best. He did what he had to do and it wasn't his fault I wasn't at my best, but a rematch at heavyweight, where I have my full strength, would make me very happy. As for him against the Klitschkos: I can tell you right now, at 215 he isn't anywhere near big enough. No way.

J.S: Well, it would be a most interesting rematch between the two of you up at heavyweight. I thank you for your time. I wish you the best with your career, and I look forward to your next fight and another impressive KO!

J.B: Okay, thanks for the time. I'll be back in March or April.

Jul 24, 2005
Just how good is Vitali Klitschko?

by Stuart Young - Due to Lennox Lewis’ retirement whilst at the pinnacle of his sport, the heavyweight championship was left vacant for the first time since Rocky Marciano retired with his perfect ring record of 49-0 back in 1955.

Of the current crop of heavyweight contenders that were circling the division vying for supremacy at the time, it was deemed Vitali, due to his impressive showing against Lennox Lewis & his subsequent performance in winning a WBC title eliminator against Kirk Johnson (TKO 2) that the match-up between him & newly crowned WBC title holder, big South African Corrie Sanders, was widely regarded as the fight which would determine the ‘new’ heavyweight champion..

They met in a bout in April '04, after a 'slugfest' that lasted eight action-packed rounds it was Vitali who was to prevail, gaining revenge for little brother Wladimir, who had suffered defeat at the hands of the big South African puncher & sealing his own place as the fighter at the top of the heavyweight landscape.

Many thought Vitali was set for a long reign, but his list of victims after he won the WBC title would be short, in fact, so short it boasted just one solitary name, a win over Britain’s Danny Williams (TKO 8) before a persistent back injury eventually forced Vitali to ‘retire’ & spend four years in the boxing wilderness.

During his absence, nobody was to really come to the fore & take hold of the division & cement their status as the divisions new undisputed number one, the titles were fragmented & generally passed from one 'faceless champion' to another & the closest we had to a recognised number one was now Vitali's little brother Wladimir, who despite having his own obvious deficiencies, namely his chin, was probably the pick of the bunch.

Returning to the sport after four years of self-imposed absence, Vitali was to 'go straight in at the deep end' challenging current WBC champion 'The Nigerian Nightmare' Samuel Peter in a bout that was held at the O2 Arena in Berlin, Germany.

Vitali looked as if he had never been away, dominating & defeating Peter who was both battered & bruised before he refused to answer the bell after eight rounds of one-sided punishment. Vitali was equally efficient in stopping both Juan Carlos Gomez (TKO 9) & Chris Arreola (RTD 10) & competent in recently outpointing latest American challenger Kevin Johnson.

Vitali once again had staked his claim to being the best heavyweight on the planet.

With little brother Wladimir also holding the 'Ring magazine', IBF & WBO titles & both brothers vowing never to fight one another due to a promise made to their Mother, its safe to say that 'team Klitschko' pretty much had the heavyweight division wrapped up & both are generally regarded in boxing circles as the divisions number one & two.

Olympic Gold medallist Wladimir is seen as the more fluent & better boxer, but with this, he carries a more cautious approach to his ring work whereas Vitali is seen by many as the more durable, hard-hitting & no-nonsense brother.

To be honest, when looking at Vitali's CV it hardly contains the legendary or awe-inspiring names of champions of the past, in fact, the names read more like a who’s he than a who’s who!

But this is no fault of Vitali's as you would be hard pushed to name someone specifically that he could be accused of avoiding simply due to a dearth of talent that has plagued the heavyweight division over the last half dozen years or so.

It must grate with Vitali, but the fact remains that his fight & subsequent defeat he suffered at the hands of an aging Lennox Lewis back in 2003 still remains his most career defining fight.

In the bout Vitali met Lennox with much more gusto & resistance then was anticipated by the so-called experts, Vitali stood & traded with Lennox & matched him punch for punch & more surprisingly, he matched him for strength.

Instead of 'rolling over' & meekly surrendering (as was expected of him) Vitali turned the bout into a very competitive brawl that was stopped - with Vitali leading on the scorecards, due to the hideous facial injuries Lewis had inflicted on Klitschko resulting in Vitali looking as if he was a victim of a high speed car crash!

Vitali no doubt posed Lennox some serious questions in that bout but Lennox was able to ride out the early storm & was turning the fight around when the stoppage occurred, because of this, many called for a rematch, but Lennox, with his best days clearly behind him at 38, was content to call a halt to his career knowing he had beaten a peak Vitali Klitschko & to attempt to do so again (at six months older) would be foolish, it was a risk not worth taking after all the years he had spent building up his legacy especially when had only recently gained the respect of the American boxing writers.

Lennox, a deep thinker, chose to do what only the privileged few can do - to bow out at the pinnacle of his profession. With Lennox gone, Vitali has found himself in the shadow of a great boxer much like Holmes found when Ali retired.

To summarise, I'd like to start by saying I consider Vitali the best heavyweight of his generation, I consider him to be a much more competent fighter than his brother Wladimir, but to be brutally honest there isn't much too worthy competition that he's had to contend with. I'd have to say he's the best of a bad bunch.

How he would fare against past Heavyweights like Liston, Ali, Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Foreman, Lyle, Tyson, Tucker, Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield, Mercer & Moorer is open for debate but I can't see Vitali registering too many victories mixing with that company.

My final analysis is he's very good but far from great.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye: "After I Beat Up Ruiz, Vitali Klitschko is Next"

By Mark Vester

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye has spoken out and backed the words of his manager, Adam Booth, by denying that any agreement exists for a fight with WBC champ Vitali Klitschko. Klitschko had said there was a preliminary agreement but Haye doesn't know where he got that information. Haye plans to batter mandatory challenger John Ruiz in 2010. Then he wants to sit down and discuss a Vitali fight.

"Apparently we have some sort of agreement but I have no idea where he has got that from, he has made that up from somewhere," Haye said to The Guardian. "I haven't actually talked to them since before the Valuev fight. Next up for me is John Ruiz. After I've beaten him up good style then I'm going to sit round the table and then we'll talk about the fight with Vitali."

Haye wants to unify the entire division and plans to target any and all champions. Any fighter with a title is a target. Only two targets at the moment. The Klitschko brothers hold all the cards with the WBC/IBO/IBF/WBO titles in their collection.

"Anyone who has a title, I'm coming after them, plain and simple," said Haye. "The dream is still on. I have achieved my goal of becoming a world champion and now it's all about cementing my legacy by unifying the titles and dominating the division like the greats like Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson and defending my belts as many times as possible."

Jul 24, 2005
Khan vs Malignaggi is a Very Viable Fight, Says Roach

By Rick Reeno

Junior welterweight contender Paulie Malignaggi, and his promoter Lou DiBella, are shooting for a shot at WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan. Their preferance, as far as the venue and location, would be Madison Square Garden in New York City.

"The fight would be huge in Madison Square Garden. Khan wants to fight in America. HBO wants him to fight in March. They wouldn't have any problems with that fight. I think it's a great fight," DiBella told BoxingScene.com.

Khan's trainer, Freddie Roach, likes the fight as well. Roach doesn't see the venue as a deal-breaker. According to Roach, Khan would love to headline a big event at Madison Square Garden.

"That's definitely a viable fight. It's something I would definitely welcome. I like Paulie. It's a big fight. Amir would come to America, to Madison Square Garden. What better way to come," Roach said.

Jul 24, 2005
Sergio Martinez Will Fight Chavez Jr, Even With Steroids

By Rick Reeno

WBC junior middleweight champion Sergio Martinez is not losing sleep over a possible mandatory defense against unbeaten Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Based on the rankings, Chavez is in line for a shot at Martinez. He wants to secure his shot at the WBC title in 2010. Based on Chavez's recent comments that appeared on BoxingScene.com, where the Mexican fighter pledged to fight for the title in 2010 - Martinez wanted to send a message.

"Chavez Jr. can show up and take any performance enhancing drugs he wants and he'll still go to sleep. If he wants to go to sleep in Mexico, I will be more than happy to travel to Mexico and put him to sleep, and he can use whatever performance enhancing drugs he wants," Martinez said.

Martinez's crack about the "performance enchancing drugs" is a crack on Chavez recently failing a Nevada drug test in connection with his fight against Troy Rowland on November 14. Chavez tested positive for a diuretic, which only helps a fighter drop weight by increasing his rate of urination. I've spoken to a few fighters about Chavez's positive result. All of them agree that a diuretic will not help a fighter's performance in any way

Jul 24, 2005
Kendall Holt Chases a Shot at Devon Alexander

By Ryan Burton

Kendall Holt's manager Mac Washington called BoxingScene.com to inform us that Kendall is on the comeback trail and has his eyes firmly set on Devon Alexander's WBC lightweight title. "Rated R" is not too impressed with Alexander and has a lot more to say about the unbeaten fighter in a soon to be published interview on Boxingscene.com.

Jul 24, 2005
BJ Flores is Confident He Can Snatch Marco Huck's Title

By Ryan Burton

#2 rated WBO cruiser weight BJ "El Peligroso" Flores (24-0-1) speaks on the recent Diaz vs Malignaggi and Bradley vs Peterson bouts. The ESPN Friday Night Fights guest commentator also talks about his career, how Roy Jones Jr.'s loss may affect Square Ring's ability to land him fights and how he would love to fight WBO champion Marco Huck in this BoxingScene.com exclusive interview. The charismatic Flores would even be willing to go Europe to fight Huck.

BoxingScene.com: What did you think of the Malignaggi vs Diaz fight?

BJ Flores: I thought Paulie fought a great fight and did what he had to do. I still thought Diaz fought pretty tough and that is always going to be a pretty good fight. They are both real busy guys who like to get in there and mix it up.

BoxingScene.com: I think it is a bad match up stylistically for Diaz.

BJ Flores: Diaz has to be on the attack twenty four seven. He can't really ever relax or chill. He has to always be on the attack and be working. He has to be on point all three minutes of every round.

BoxingScene.com: Did you see the Bradly vs Peterson fight?

BJ Flores: Sure did and I loved it. I talked to Timothy on Monday for probably thirty minutes and I just congratulated him. He is a good friend of mine from the amateurs. I knew him and Lamont real well in the amateurs. Timothy has just taken it to another level. He has a great body and he really takes care of himself. He has a long career ahead of him. He doesn't drink or smoke. He takes real good care of himself. He is young and is going to be around a real long time.

BoxingScene.com: Lamont seemed like he abandoned his game plan early. Maybe it was his inexperience fighting on that big of a stage.

BJ Flores: Lamont is a very good fighter. He was really good in the amateurs. I think we have to credit Timmy for throwing Lamont off his game plan. I don't think it was so much Lamont having stage fright. He has been out there and beat a lot of good guys in the amateurs and the pros. Timmy just went out there and put it on him from the
beginning and Lamont had to regroup and just couldn't get it together.

That is what a great champion does. He throws them off their game plan right from the beginning. Guys come in with a strong game plan and he makes them change right from the get go. That is what makes a great champion.

BoxingScene.com: Lets back up a little bit. What did you think of Roy Jones' fight?

BJ Flores: I just think he got caught early. I think it would have been a good fight had it gone more rounds but that is the problem when you go up in weight. Those guys punch a lot harder. Danny Green caught Roy right on the temple and got him hurt. Right after that he got Roy out of there. He did what he had to do and you have to give
him credit for that and congratulate him for a great fight. He came out with a great game plan. Roy always keeps his left hand down and Green backed him up with a double jab to get his distance and then once Roy stopped he fired that right hand and caught him on the temple. Green wasn't scared and he wasn't intimidated. He just went out and did what he had to do.

BoxingScene.com: How does that affect you? Were you going to be on the Jones Hopkins II undercard?

BJ Flores: Bro, I have no idea honestly. It affects me bad. I just don't know how and I don't know which way I am going. I haven't heard from Square Ring since then. I don't know whats going on. They haven't called me to tell me whats going on. They haven't told me what the plan is so I am not exactly sure except I know I will be talking to them very shortly. Life has to continue. Roy lost and I don't know if he will be back or not. Hopefully he will but the company still has to move forward. My career still has to move forward so I am sure they got something in the works for me.

BoxingScene.com: Being that Roy obviously is the star attraction and Dmitriy Salita losing too it seems like Square Ring has taken some hits lately.

BJ Flores: I don't think anyone really planned on Dmitriy going over there and winning. I think that was kind of a deal where well I didn't really know Dmitriy in the amateurs that well but I guess he was a good amateur somewhere. I never really heard of any of the guys he ever fought and then he was the number one contender for so long and then he fought a real fighter like Amir Khan and I was like man its going to be a rough fight for him.

I went to see him fight Raul Munoz in Primm (Nevada) and he had a tough time with that guy. I couldn't imagine how he was going to beat a guy like Khan. In boxing there is always a chance but I don't think anyone really thought he was going to win. I think everyone on the other hand thought Roy was going to win, myself included. I thought he was going to outbox Danny but that is boxing for you. It never goes the way you think it will go.

BoxingScene.com: You haven't fought since August. When do you want to get back in the ring?

BJ Flores: I want to get back in the ring immediately. I was supposed to be on a card January 8th that Square Ring told me they were trying to organize in Vegas for ESPN 2. With Roy losing and Dmitriy losing I think they are just trying to regroup themselves so I don't know. I am in the gym all the time. I am always training and I am always ready just waiting for opportunities. People don't understand that about the sport of boxing. They say when is he going to fight again, this and that. If it was up to the fighters we would be fighting all the time but it isn't up to the fighters. There is much more to it than that. I am trying.

I have been calling out Marco Huck. He has a chance to do an optional defense and I want to be the guy. He doesn't have to fight anybody else. I am rated number two and no one else is knocking down his door trying to fight him. No one is trying to get at him like me. I would love to go over to Germany. I would love to fight him over there. He has a one dimensional style. He is very strong and very aggressive but I do not lose that fight to Marco Huck I guarantee you. I made it clear when I talked to Sauerland (Events).

We talked to Sauerland. We emailed (Victor Emilio) Ramirez' people when he was the WBO champion every single day with no response. Then they went and fought Huck. Now we are calling and emailed Huck's people everyday trying to make fights. I tried to get to Giacobbe Fragomeni before Zsolt Erdei beat him. They offered him a lot of money so he took that fight. It is a business. Don't think we aren't trying to get those fights. They are just going where the highest bidder is so it is very difficult when other promoters are offering a lot of money. It is really frustrating.

BoxingScene.com: Being you would go to Germany to fight Huck you must be confident you can knock him out?

BJ Flores: I am not confident I can get a knockout but I am confident I can beat him clearly enough to get a decision in Germany. I might get a knockout because I think he fights 30 to 45 seconds of every round. He has guys that are coming at him and just hitting his gloves. They don't really try to make him fight. They come at him and the Emilio Ramirez kid made him fight a little bit and Huck had a lot of problems with him but he had to box and got a close decision. Afolabi went in there and kind of just layed on the ropes and was aggressive sometimes. He didn't really have a strong enough game plan and he barely lost.

I see these guys who are good fighters but don't have an extra strong desire to win and Marco Huck is barely beating those guys. I think that I am a notch above a Ramirez or a Afolabi and I think I get a decision over Huck where I can dismantle Huck early and he doesn't have any answers. I mean he has only one style and that is it. He covers up in a shell and he punches. He covers back up in a shell and he punches. I think we have a lot of different things to do to a guy like that. He better be able to do something else besides that when he fight or else it is not going to happen for him.

BoxingScene.com: Are you going to be back commentating on ESPN Friday Night Fights again?

BJ Flores: I am going to be back on ESPN2 sometime in the beginning of January. They already told me about that. I am really excited about that. I think it is a very good opportunity for me to get my name out there and do some big things. I want to let people know that I want to get fights. I want people to know its not just a matter of wanting to fight this guy or that guy. There is so much more to it than that but I am really looking forward to it.

BoxingScene.com: Not only that but it helps you build a post fight career too.

BJ Flores: I would love to do it post fight but for now I want to concentrate on the boxing and the fights I get. Hopefully I can get start getting some fights lined up pretty soon. I am very hungry and want those big fights.

BJ Flores: I am working hard and training very hard. I keep myself in fantasic shape. I am looking for the big fights and I want Marco Huck. That is the fight I want. If I can't get him then I want Zsolt Erdei. Those are the two guys I want. Marco Huck is on my radar. I have been calling him out for the longest time. Can we do it right now? They said after he beats Afolabi blah blah blah. Well that fight is over with. Lets make it happen. The Sauerland guys are very fair and I am sure we can come to an agreement.

Jul 24, 2005
Chris Arreola's Trainer on Thompson Beef, Next Fight

By Ryan Burton

Henry Ramirez, Chris Arreola's trainer talks about Chris' knockout victory over Brian Minto last week in Atlantic City. Ramirez talks about the reasoning of getting Arreola back in the ring so soon when we can expect to see the Mexican American heavyweight back in action in this BoxingScene.com exclusive interview.

BoxingScene.com: What are your thoughts on Chris' performance December 5th?

Henry Ramirez: It was typical. We were happy to get back in the ring right away. Some people were questioning us but we felt comfortable coming back that soon.

BoxingScene.com: Were you surprised at the amount of shots Brian Minto took before finally going down?

Henry Ramirez: No. Minto is a tough kid. Minto is a rugged guy. He had never been stopped before. I had seen a couple of his fights especially when he fought (Luan) Krasniqi over in Germany so that didn't surprise me at all.

BoxingScene.com: What exactly went down with Tony Thompson after the fight? Is that a fight you guys want to pursue?

Henry Ramirez: You know the funny thing was it really wasn't so much between Tony Thompson and Chris. Thompson made a comment about wanting to fight Chris and Chris took exception to it. It was more between people from Thompson's camp and Chris than it was between Tony and Chris. If it is something that makes sense financially and it is something that Dan (Goosen) and Al (Haymon) want to put together we wouldn't be opposed to it.

BoxingScene.com: Is there a target date for Chris' next fight?

Henry Ramirez: It looks like it will be in March. It will be in March on HBO possibly here in Southern California.

BoxingScene.com: That would be nice. For the fight against Vitali a nice crowd showed up to Staples.

Henry Ramirez: It was a great crowd. A lot of people lead you to believe it was because of Kltischko but I think we know who the crowd was for.

BoxingScene.com: I was ringside and I think you had about 20 Arreola fans for every Klitschko fan.

Henry Ramirez: Yeah, you are right (laughing).

BoxingScene.com: Starting off the year in March sets up Cris where he can get three fights in next year. Is that the plan?

Henry Ramirez: I am hoping for that. We will be focusing on March and see what comes our way after that. I don't want to look to far ahead. Ideally we will fight three or four times next year but we will see what plays out in March and we will go from there.

BoxingScene.com: Tony Thompson aside, is there anyone you guys want to fight in particular?

Henry Ramirez: I haven't heard any names specifically. I know all the champions seem to be pre-occupied with mandatories and what ever else they have going on. Wladmir is fighting Eddie Chambers. Eddie is finally getting a well deserved title shot. David Haye is fighting a mandatory against John Ruiz so I think we will look to stay active against some pretty credible names.

BoxingScene.com: I assume you prefer Chris fighting at home versus going to cold New Jersey?

Henry Ramirez: Actually I didn't mind New Jersey so much. To be honest there are a lot of distractions when you fight at home. You can imagine the distractions at home can be big. Don't get me wrong the support of the crowd at home and being close to home is great but it isn't without distractions. New Jersey was great. It was the first time we had been to Atlantic City. We had a great time. We were able to fight and enjoy the Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez fight. Chris received great fan reaction there and it was no where near the distractions of fighting at home.

BoxingScene.com: Do you think getting back in the ring so fast helps erase the taste of the Klitschko loss and help give Chris a clean slate going into 2010?

Henry Ramirez: You don't forget about because obviously you want to use it as a learning tool. The question I was asked most leading up to this fight is how was Chris mentally. There was never any doubt in my mind that he was prepared to fight. As soon as the opportunity came up for us to fight December 5th he was all for it. There was never any hesitation or any doubt that Chris would bounce back. Minto was the perfect guy for Chris to comeback against. Maybe there still is some doubt about Chris' mental state after the Klitschko loss but that is what we are looking to prove in the first fight of 2010. We want to prove he is ready to make another run at a world title.

Henry Ramirez: Thanks for the continued support of Chris. He definitely is going to bounce back and is always looking to put on exciting fights for the fans in the seats and the viewers at home.

Jul 24, 2005
Hasegawa Stops Perez in Four, Retains WBC Title

By Mark Vester

In Kobe, Japan, WBC bantamweight champion Hozumi Hasegawa stopped Alvaro Perez in the fourth round to retain his title. Two left hands put Perez down and the fight was stopped at 2:38 of the round. Perez was able to stun the champion in the second but couldn't recover after getting in trouble in the fourth.

The Japanese champion was happy with his performance and was ready for a much longer fight. It marked his fifth knockout win in a row.

"I was ready to fight the 12 rounds because many people have complained that my bouts finish too quickly. I don't think they will this time," said Hasegawa to AFP. "It's been the 10th year since I turned professional and this is my 10th defence of the title. Everybody expects me to do well, so I tried not to feel pressure.

"It was not my tactics to get a knock-out. I just tried to fight my boxing and go for it when I had a chance. He has a strong punch. Although I won by a KO today, it was a tough fight."

The champion's record went to 28-2, 12 KOs, and the challenger dropped to 18-2, 12KOs.