Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Brandon Rios will end short-lived retirement, return next year at 147 or 154
Brandon Rios
tweet
email

By: Mike Coppinger | November 21, 2015 12:31 am
Brandon Rios

Brandon Rios during his WBO welterweight title bout with Timothy Bradley on Nov. 7. (AP)

LAS VEGAS — Brandon Rios’ retirement has been short-lived.

The all-action fighter will return next year after announcing he would end his career following a ninth-round knockout to Tim Bradley earlier this month, the fighter’s manager, Cameron Dunkin, told USA TODAY Sports.

“He told me ‘I can’t go out like that,'” recounted Dunkin, who was informed Rios would return Tuesday. “‘It was humiliating. I’m sorry to the fans and everyone who believed in me.'”

Rios missed weight on the first attempt for his WBO title fight against Bradley, but made weight on the second try. However, he was completely weight-drained and lethargic on fight night. He lost every round and was stopped on body shots.

LOOKING BACK: Bradley dominates Rios

RIOS ON RETIREMENT: I don’t want to ‘take a beating for no reason’

“When he’s right, and his head’s right and he’s in shape, he’s a world-class fighter,” Dunkin said. “He can beat any ’47 pounder in the world.”

Dunkin said Rios could campaign at either 147 or 154. The 29-year-old waged war twice with Mike Alvarado, splitting the bouts, then dominated his foe in January. Rios said the inactivity hampered his training, though, and he was no match for Bradley.

If he fights at 147, bouts with Jessie Vargas and Ruslan Provodnikov would be attractive.

Jul 24, 2005
Mike Coppinger Retweeted
Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn 10m10 minutes ago

The depths of hate for #Rigo has come to this seminal moment: Even @BCampbellESPN & M @mike Coppinger, his 2 fans, wanted to throw up.

Jul 24, 2005
Miguel A. Cotto ‏@RealMiguelCotto 31m31 minutes ago

Fans #THANKYOU for the amazing support. Wanted #THEFIGHT, we did our Best! #CottoCanelo #WARCotto R @Roc Nation

Jul 24, 2005
jay is paying up
November 21 O @oscard eLaHoya 18m18 minutes ago

Win win Saturday night as Jay Z will donate 100k to the white memorial hospital in E.L.A.

Jul 24, 2005
D @danr afaelespn
No #CottoCanelo PPV figs yet. Will be few days but based on early satellite numbers, source involved told me it's a lock to do at least 900k

Jul 24, 2005
Michael Woods W @Wood sy1069

Dec 5 SHO EXTREME®
TO FEATURE CHRIS ALGIERI vs. ERICK BONE
& UNDEFEATED LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT MARCUS BROWNE
2:16 PM - 23 Nov 2015

& UNDEFEATED LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT MARCUS BROWNE

Follow

SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT live with WBA Featherweight World Champion Jesus Cuellar..
2:17 PM - 23 Nov 2015

Jul 24, 2005

..(27-1, 21 KOs) defending his belt against exciting Puerto Rican contender Jonathan Oquendo (26-4, 16 KOs). Sho Extreme starts at 7 pm
2:18 PM - 23 Nov 2015

Jul 24, 2005
By Lance Pugmire

Former world champion Danny Garcia will fight former two-division world champion Robert Guerrero on Jan. 23 at Staples Center in the "Premier Boxing Champions on Fox" card.

Garcia (31-0, 18 knockouts) vacated his light-welterweight belt this year before defeating former welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi with a ninth-round technical knockout in August.

Guerrero (33-3-1, 18 KOs), from Gilroy, Calif., participated in the PBC main event on NBC in March, losing to unbeaten Keith Thurman, and beating Aron Martinez by split-decision in June at StubHub Center.

Fox, which will broadcast three PBC fights in prime time through June as part of a multifight deal with manager Al Haymon's organization, will also televise the fight on Fox Deportes at 5 p.m. PST. Tickets, ranging from $25 to $300, will go on sale at 10 a.m. Tuesday on axs.com and at the Staples Center box office.

Guerrero, who lost a unanimous decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2013, previously claimed featherweight and super-featherweight belts and boasts victories over Andre Berto and Joel Casamayor.

Garcia, from Philadelphia, has defeated Amir Khan, Lucas Matthysse, Erik Morales twice, Zab Judah and Lamont Peterson since 2012.

Danny Garcia to fight Robert Guerrero on Jan. 23 at Staples Center

what do yall think about this being the main event fight?

Jul 24, 2005
Raging Babe ‏@RagingBabe now2 minutes ago

Pedro Campa and Aaron Herrera will collide on a tripleheader 12/12 at the Glendale Civic Auditorium on HBO Latino. #boxing

Raging Babe ‏@RagingBabe now1 minute ago

"Anytime Mexican welterweights with these type of styles faceoff in the LA area, fireworks are bound to happen." -Carl Moretti #boxing

Jul 24, 2005
Raging Babe ‏@RagingBabe now1 minute ago

Sullivan Barrera vs Karo Murat will also be on the 12/12 card. The winner will earn the right to challenge Sergey Kovalev in 2016. #boxing

Jul 24, 2005
Michael Woods ‏@Woodsy1069 now22 minutes ago Brooklyn, NY

Two folks have told me the #CaneloCotto PPV did over 1 million buys, it's looking like. "Very good" number one told me.
1 retweet 6 likes

Michael Woods ‏@Woodsy1069 now10 minutes ago Brooklyn, NY

But of course, we are still in the projection stage. Could be it ends up being less, I guess. We continue to monitor

Jul 24, 2005
BoxingScene.com @boxingscene

Adonis Stevenson's Promoter Reacts To Ring's Decision Adonis Stevenson's Promoter Reacts To Ring's Decision - Boxing News #boxing
5:18 PM - 24 Nov 2015

6 6 Retweets

Yvon Michel, promoter for WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson (27-1, 22 KOs) was disappointed with Ring Magazine's decision to strip his fighter of their light heavyweight title.The magazine explained that their decision was based on Stevenson not facing any boxers ranked in their top five in the last two years.The last opponent that Stevenson fought within their top five was Tavoris Cloud in September 2013.Michel hopes their decision is not being influenced by rival promoter Golden Boy Promotions, who own the magazine. Golden Boy is involved in a legal dispute with Al Haymon, who manages Stevenson. There is also a legal tug of war between Michel and Golden Boy over the promotional contract of former middleweight champion David Lemieux. ;Due to a combination of circumstances, the champion did not face any of these boxers [in the top five]. We respect The Ring, which confirm that their decision was made according to its rules. We hope that this decision has nothing to do with the fact that the owner of the magazine, Golden Boy Promotions, is currently in legal dispute with the manager of Stevenson and his promoter; Michel said.Adonis Stevenson is and remains to be the WBC light heavyweight champion. He is also the linear champion of the division. His goal is always to unify the belts in 2016. Michel also explained five different items that prevented Stevenson from facing several highly ranked fighters in Ring's top five.

Kovalev was the mandatory challenger for Stevenson, but withdrew from the purse bid scheduled for May 2015.

Hopkins preferred to face Kovakev instead of Stevenson in 2014 and he confirmed his intention to fight at 168 pounds.

Pascal was the mandatory challenger to Adonis and the fight was scheduled for April 2015, but he preferred to fight Kovalev in March 2015, then he has an agreement for a rematch in January 2015.

Braehmer is happy to defend his Interim WBA Belt in Germany and after short discussion, he has shown no interest in confronting Adonis.

Alvarez fights against the No. 6 Isaac Chilemba on Saturday in a clash where the winner will become mandatory challenger to Adonis.

Apr 20, 2005
If Floyd Mayweather, Andre Ward, & Danny Garcia were on a professional sports team. What team would they be on?

If u answer my questions correctly i will send u the ultimate grand prize. A XXL muscle fitness t-shirt, a used LA Raiders snapback, black shoelaces, 10 vanilla mini candles, and a used black sports headband.

Last edited: