Blu-ray Xbox 360 Planned By Microsoft

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2005
Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu-ray over Toshiba’s HD DVD.

Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu-ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD DVD or Blu-ray disc.

Both Intel and Microsoft have been supporters of the HD DVD format that is set to be killed off this week.
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4
looks like blu-ray won the battle

Aug 7, 2003
blu-ray has won since half way thru last year, its just not offical until later in the week when toshiba offically states that hd-dvd wont be manufactured any longer. There might be a xbox 360 with blu-ray but the games itself wont be blu-ray, becuase if the games came out on blu-ray discs then there would be around 12 million xbox 360's that cant play the game. so they might let you watch movies on blu-ray's but the games will still come out on dvd9.

Mar 5, 2006
^ hahhaahh yea probly

ill probly cop a new xbox in about 4-5 months..just waitign for a good 360 exclusive.

for now ps3 is all i need.

this is probly a stupid question but can u play normal dvd's on a blue ray player? or will it fuck up the player.. or just be teh same as a normal dvd on a normal dvd player?

Apr 25, 2002
how microsoft gona do that when isnt bluray sony!? if xbox goes blueray ps3 will win
not true.. not one company owns blu-ray.. in fact...hella company's already have their own blu-ray players ie. Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp and the list goes on.. only person really hurtin' from this hddvd shit is toshiba because they were the major backer for it.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
thanks for that knowledge. knowing my dumbass i would have went around saying some dumb shit like that to everyone. but im sure this puts ps3 1up over the competition

Mar 26, 2006
Blu-Ray officially got the win. Wal-Mart is planning to drop HD-DVD by June. So congratulations to anyone who bought a HD DVD player, it is now an expensive paper weight.

May 1, 2003
this is probly a stupid question but can u play normal dvd's on a blue ray player? or will it fuck up the player.. or just be teh same as a normal dvd on a normal dvd player?
You can play em just fine. It also upscales normal dvd videos to a better quality on the PS3. They look real good. You have to adjust the settings in the System manager .

Apr 25, 2002
You can play em just fine. It also upscales normal dvd videos to a better quality on the PS3. They look real good. You have to adjust the settings in the System manager .
Upscale yes. Better quality no. Thats like saying you can reencode a 128kbit mp3 to 320kbit and the quality somehow magically got better.

May 1, 2003
Upscale yes. Better quality no. Thats like saying you can reencode a 128kbit mp3 to 320kbit and the quality somehow magically got better.

True...I was just speaking in general terms. Seeing that he didn't even know he could play "normal" DVD on the Blu-Ray/PS3 player...there was no need to get technical on him. Shit...I'm in the same boat as KiLlAKr0nIc...I got it for the games ...ahem...future games. lol

Mar 5, 2006
yea ^ ill be honnest i still dont NO SHIT about ps3...
i just wanted to see that "American Gangster" but its on HD DVD i was gonna buy a HD DVD player untill i hear otherwise.. so ima just get the normal DVD.. fuck they should put it out for Blue Ray right now why wait.. and yea i bought the ps3 for gaming purposes im not much of a movie watcher.

thanks for the help tho

Mar 5, 2006
True...I was just speaking in general terms. Seeing that he didn't even know he could play "normal" DVD on the Blu-Ray/PS3 player...there was no need to get technical on him. Shit...I'm in the same boat as KiLlAKr0nIc...I got it for the games ...ahem...future games. lol
lol yea i just want to watch teh movie.

Aug 7, 2003
they will be publishing all the movies in blu-ray now. its just a matter of time for them to put it on blu-ray and mass produce them. so give them like 4 weeks and all the main blockbuster movies that were on hd-dvd or dvd only will be on blu-ray. every movie company backs blu-ray as its the only high def media option.

Mar 5, 2006
im likin that.. that hd war was gay shit just forcing ppl to get one or the otehr or both cuz certain movies were coming to certain hd players.. now that HD DVD is gone im happy.