Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die..... Agree? Disagree?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
This is my favorite thing to come out of the conversation about the new kickoff rules. Bill Belichick used a kickoff question to move the conversation toward the extra point, and argued that it should be eliminated from the game, or at least greatly modified.
"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn't be in the game. I don't think it is good for the game. Extra points, when the odds are 99 percent range in extra points it is not a play. Let's move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Let them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you're just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."
(Applause.)
Given my druthers, I'd eliminate it completely -- I don't think you'd see a lot of kicks missed from the 15 or 20, either. It saves time, it speeds the game along, and the guy in the end-zone seats with the John 3:16 sign doesn't get time to prepare for his close-up.
This is the MJD plan: Let's just make touchdowns worth seven, and if someone wants to risk a point either way, they'll have the option to trot the ball out to the 2-point conversion spot, and they'll get eight points for their touchdown if they convert, six if they don't. Hell, I say we move that back, too. I think the 6-yard-line sounds about right.
I'm with him on the kickoff, too. I'll talk more about this later, but Belichick is right. If what the NFL wants is more touchbacks, then why go halfway? Put the ball on the 20. Put it on the 25 or 30 if you want to. I'm not saying I'm anti-kickoff, I'm just saying that if the league just wants drives to start at the 20, there are ways to do that that are more efficient.
Hmm. This Belichick character. I think he might be a smart one.

what you guys think??

I like the idea of kicking from the 15-20 for the extra point. Put it at the 10 for 2 point conversion.

Nov 24, 2003
If what the NFL wants is more touchbacks, then why go halfway? Put the ball on the 20. Put it on the 25 or 30 if you want to. I'm not saying I'm anti-kickoff, I'm just saying that if the league just wants drives to start at the 20, there are ways to do that that are more efficient.

Because they don't want to eliminate the possibility of an onside kick.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

I like the idea of moving the extra point to the 20 yard line...make it a lil more exciting...PAT now is stupid.

Nov 1, 2004
It was dumb to fuck with the kick offs. More fucking with the game isn't going to help.
Kick offs WERE the most exciting part of the game. Now they are pointless and stupid. Thanks Roger, for yet another failure on your part.

Nov 1, 2004
How do you blame that on Goddel if the owners voted in favor of it?
Because he brought it up.
Hes the NFL Commissioner... things like that. Seems he would have a good handle on rule changes.
Obviously it passed because teams with shitty kickers and returners don't want to lose. Fucking pussies.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
The move back on extra points would be interesting. They should move it back far enough where more teams are tempted to attempt a 2 point conversion. At 25 yards out we'd see a LOT more 2 pt attempts and it would vastly change the way the game is played strategy wise.

Feb 10, 2006
if it weren't for extra points he wouldn't be a superbowl champ. he needs to shut the fuck up n stop givin stupid ideas to a game that is going to hell. i loved basketball but when they gave all these rules in favor of shaq n kobe n lettin lebron caryy the game sucked. now this game is gettin all fucked up n now soccer is gettin popular cuz u can,t corrupt a game like soccer. wut tthe fuck is sports in USA comin too