Bay-Wit-Its Articles

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2008
Hey everyone in the art forum I was going through the sicc and figured this would be the best place to get some feedback. I am a senior in high-school and was just recently was asked to join my schools Journalism program for my final semester and I am really enjoying it... This seems like something I may pursue once I graduate and I just wanted to post my articles for some feedback from you guys...

I have tough skin so don't spare my feelings. If you think its trash please let me know. I am in the sports section on my school paper and my first article was placed in the latest school paper here it is. I am a huge Kobe fan!

Feb 12, 2008
Kobe Bryant: League of His Own
Sports

After thirteen years in the N.B.A., I find myself wondering if we have seen the best of Kobe Bryant yet? His stats nearly halfway through his 2010 campaign have me considering that Kobe Bryant's best days are still ahead. Coming straight out of high-school to join the N.B.A draft we have seen plenty of Kobe, all the way back to Dynasty years with Shaq, but it is very well possible that this seasoned veteran is even more determined and focused than ever.

Many N.B.A analysts compare Kobe Bryant's play to other Superstars, such as Lebron James, Carmello Anthony, and Dwayne Wade. While these players have fantastic careers none including the "Chosen One" have matched Bryant's on court accomplishments. With four rings under his belt and his team boasting the leagues best record we see just how important he is to his team. The popular opinion is that Bryant's supporting cast is the best of any Superstar in the league. While this is probably true, Kobe's ability to be selfless allowing his teammates to get going while waiting for those waning moments in the 4th quarter where he can take the game over at any moment is unparalleled.

Kobe is still regarded as the top player in the league by his peers. Mickeal Pietrus of the defending Eastern Conference Champions, who was given the daunting task of guarding Kobe in the finals has been quoted saying Kobe is still the "best". The reason he gave is, " you never know what you're going to get." Fellow senior Robert Mills says, "Kobe looks like he is playing chess with checker players". His dedication to become the best player ever shows in his mastery of every move he performs. Defenders never go into a game in hopes of shutting Bryant down. Rather containing him as much as possible while trying to prevent a highlight reel.

There is reason to believe that Bryant's greatest days are ahead. He is currently 1st in scoring in the league with 30.0 ppg while shooting a career high 47.7 percent from the field; all while playing with a broken index finger on his shooting hand, and a sore elbow and knee. Bryant is leading his team to the playoffs where they will try to become world Champions for the second straight year. Kobe had Madison Square Garden chanting "MVP"! To all the naysayers, actually scratch that, there are none.

Feb 12, 2008
Second article Did not make Paper

MMA Explosion
Sports

Mixed Martial arts mainly the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) has exploded onto the mainstream-fighting scene. The UFC pits the worlds greatest mixed martial artists in organized fighting matches that a growing number of people believe rival boxing. What amazes me is the lack of motivation given to troubled teens and students to join a MMA camp in an attempt to relieve the stress and anger the average teen will endure.

The UFC works a lot like boxing with its weight divisions. There are five divisions: Lightweight (146-155), Welterweight (156-170), Middleweight (171-185), Light Heavyweight (186-205), and Heavyweight (206-265). One main difference you may notice between the UFC and other fighting sports would be the ring. The UFC uses an Octagon ring with eight gated sides. This make for a truly intimidating fight were you are faced with you foe only having one referee to keep you from being beaten to a pulp. Many will not make it to the Elite level of the UFC but MMA camps around the country will take the average Joe just trying to gain a hobby.

I have witnessed two unimpressive fights at school to this point of the year. Now instead of embarrassing yourself throwing around wobbly hooks all while your looking at the ground why not find a mixed martial arts class and learn the proper techniques of fighting? San Jose is home to some of the most renowned MMA camps in the country. Highly popular UFC fighters such as Cain Valesquez, Mike Swick, and Josh Koscheck are all members of the AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) camp in San Jose. Camps such as AKA allow enrollment from the general public. There seems to be one glaring question left to ask yourself. Would you rather be suspended watching re-runs all day because someone stepped on your shoe, or receive praise and be feared by your peers on campus? The choice is yours.

Feb 12, 2008
Made the Paper

Draft?
Opinion

In these trying times, in which our president is sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan many Americans are wondering whether or not we will reinstate a draft. This was recently debated in a New York Times "upfront" magazine edition. Mark Finelli, a Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, and Conservative Congressman, Ron Paul of Texas face off. They give great insight for both sides of the debate.

Corporal Finelli is in favor of the U.S. reinstating the draft. He argues that there is a "...serious talent deficiency... America's bravest are in Afghanistan, but our brightest are not." There is one detail Corporal Finelli fails to realize, and that's that most University bound students will use a student deferment or exemption. Meaning the soonest these braniacs will be seen in training clothes will be four years from the time a draft will be reinstated in most cases. Obama expects to pull out 150,000 troops in 2011, three years from now. Finelli also desires this war to be "... more discomforting to the average American than just bad news on TV." Now don't get me wrong, I support the troops and understand the hardships a family will encounter with their loved one fighting in war, but isn't a general goal of a country in war to help its citizens feel secure?

Congressman Ron Paul says, " If we draft men and women to fight wars and preserve liberty we are sadly mistaken." He is right. The idea that we should strip a person of their rights to preserve that very idea is a contradiction in itself. To force a person against their will would abandon the morals that our framers sought out for. As a former member of the Air Force, Congressman Paul says, "most members of the military oppose a draft because they know there's a vast difference between serving alongside another volunteer and a reluctant conscript." This point is a critical one in this debate. Would you rather fight with a man willing to place his life at risk for his country or a man that is simply doing his time as if it were a prison sentence?

thebrain

@HuseyinTheBrain
Feb 16, 2008
Sacramento, CA
www.BrainChildMedia.com
journalism is one of the dopest things to study. if you continue to pursue this in college i suggest you also learn another skill/trade and work on your networking skills. a lot of journalist hooked me up with great contacts... lots of networking opportunities out there. over 90% of journalists don't get paid a lot, so you gotta take the extra step

(i'm a videographer who just graduated from sac state... i worked for the school newspaper my final year making videos and training journalism students how to shoot+edit video... learned a lot)

Feb 12, 2008
journalism is one of the dopest things to study. if you continue to pursue this in college i suggest you also learn another skill/trade and work on your networking skills. a lot of journalist hooked me up with great contacts... lots of networking opportunities out there. over 90% of journalists don't get paid a lot, so you gotta take the extra step

(i'm a videographer who just graduated from sac state... i worked for the school newspaper my final year making videos and training journalism students how to shoot+edit video... learned a lot)
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.
Thanks bruh.

Feb 12, 2008
everyone got short attention spans and don't like to read a lot - especially on the internet. lol... especially on a rap-related forum
Well, I guess.
lmfao but its not even a hard read, straight to the point, its even got sports in it!
Maybe I should ask another forum. They probably genuinely don't give as shit about Journalism. Im just going to try one more article... yes its a Tiger Woods article but its not like anyone you have read so far.

Feb 12, 2008
Tyga, Tyga Woods Yall!
Damien Percy
Made Paper some how LMAO
I was actually in fear of being kicked out when I turned this in due to both my editor and teacher being female.

I am sure you have read or heard about Tiger Woods a million times over since the car incident. They all talk about how bad his decisions have been, and what he must do to transform himself into a better husband. Maybe what we all have not been considering though may be the idea that this man probably could not care less about what any of us say.

Consider this, the man was named the first Sports Athlete to reach billionaire status in a recent Forbes issue. Now if you and your unborn grandchildren were set to live lavishly in a financial sense would you care what anyone had to say about you? I wouldn't, especially if I could afford to abolish the first amendment of the constitution and shut everyone up. Now some will be getting mad right about now saying money isn't everything, and to you I reply that money is likely the reason you are mad. Don't Hate! Congratulate!

Also, If Mr. Wood's bankroll isn't enough to convince you that he may just be brushing all your criticisms off then consider this. Tiger Woods is a human. Now subtract the hu prefix and suddenly realize he is a MAN. There are a good percentage of women who would concur that most men are just a bunch of horndogs. My question is why would Tiger Woods be expected to be different? Is it because he can drive a ball upwards of 350 yards? Excuse my Christian but Hell No!

The right way to approach Wood's so called "scandal" would be the Jay Leno Way. In a humorous fashion as he jokes, "What's the difference between Tiger and Santa Claus? Santa only has three Ho's." Make some fun of the situation but please stop with all these pompous criticisms of the man, because more than likely he doesn't pay them any mind. Is Tiger Woods a role model? Hardly, so you may be better off looking up to David Letterman, David Patterson, or Elliot Spitzer. Or rather, try a non commercial figure that's not on your T.V. screen who you might actually be able to rely on.