Bay Area *Hip-Hop*

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
the hip hop music in the bay is rarely discussed on this board. i only been into the bay rap shit for a while. why dont more bay rappers do songs with hip hop artists? i know its 2 different types of music, but they can pop out a song on some coo bay shit. casual, saafir, eqiupto etc. i listened to a few tracks from the casual "smash rockwell" cd and they were slappin like a muthafucka. the songs were "in the whip" and "wakemup" and thats because i dont listen to hip hop music. those 2 songs stood out on the cd because the beat was on some of that bay rap shit.

http://www.myspace.com/hieroglyphicsmusic

Jun 10, 2005
SCOCIOUS said:
i know its 2 different types of music
is it really? or is it that fans and the industry are creating a dichotomy. after all, all rap music is rooted in hiphop. it is all loop based music, based on a fundamental 4-8-16 bar groove with heavy drums to carry a solid beat for a rapper to shine on.

originally there was no distinction between "rap" and "hiphop"...it was all hiphop. there's differnt styles no doubt, but its all hiphop. if ya ask me, we need to bridge that gap and make it all one again. its not two distinct genres (sub genres maybe). good music is good music.

good topic though folks.

Jun 2, 2002
i'm actually just getting into the hip-hop scene...just recently been listening to zion i, a little more heiro and souls of mischeif...del's cd's are ok, but i just can't get into them like some people. equipto's the fuckin man though, i've been diggin his shit for quite a while...he's definately one of the bay's most talented in my oppinion.

Nov 8, 2004
www.turfquake.com
i agree that it aint two different types of music

its all rap music... and to me its either GOOD or BAD (which is all opinion)... that "real hip-hop" shit gets on my nerves (not the type of music but the classifications)

theres a big reason the 2 cant always be bridged.. SUBJECT MATTER.. zion i's the bay track was cool cuz everybody was just reppin... certain rappers rap a little more intellectually and thought provoking then others.. (people call them "conscious" rappers) so them on a track with rappers who aint rappin like them would sound kind of forced

Apr 8, 2004
AL JIEH said:
is it really? or is it that fans and the industry are creating a dichotomy. after all, all rap music is rooted in hiphop. it is all loop based music, based on a fundamental 4-8-16 bar groove with heavy drums to carry a solid beat for a rapper to shine on.
jesus christ my dude, dichotomy? thats that UCLA education at work lol

i would agree that the industry does try to create divisions between consumers because it's easier for the major labels to market a product when you can place things (in this case consumer tastes) into boxes & when those boundaries are blurred then it makes their job harder.

AL JIEH said:
originally there was no distinction between "rap" and "hiphop"...it was all hiphop. there's differnt styles no doubt, but its all hiphop. if ya ask me, we need to bridge that gap and make it all one again. its not two distinct genres (sub genres maybe). good music is good music.
good topic though folks.
thats funny that i was talking about this same topic with Zion from Zion I after I interviewed him the other day. during the interview i had brought up the subject of division between conscious rap & gangsta rap & he was basically like back in the day it never used to be like that. everybody listened to everything, for example public enemy, too short, run dmc, ice t, krs etc, etc. even though they were talking about different shit. & rarely there are artists who blend with both boundaries ie; nas or jigga. but even though we came to the conclusion that it's all music, so as long as it's real shit, then you gotta respect it. but we still walked away with confusion about the reason for division.

Feb 8, 2004
www.youtube.com
AL JIEH said:

good topic though folks.
This time the truth came on the second post.Siccness record I must say......Good true shit AL JIEH.....

yee

Sicc OG
Oct 1, 2005
i just started getting into tha bay'z "hip-hop" secene too when my homeboy put me up on ZION-I but i've been slappin some hiero for a while now n blackalicious is coo too

Jun 10, 2005
I agree, there is a different subject matter in the two supposed types of music. But like I said, it's fans and the industry that are dividing it and trying to create a clear distinction between the two. (The industry wants to do this so that they can more clearly define seperate sales demographics...basically, it helps them sell more records in the long run, or at least that's the theory.)

Foreal, I just aint feeling that. Pac was spittin both on some socially conscious shit and on some gangsta shit. Even Too Short had his playa/pimpin/hustla jams with songs like "The Ghetto," which gotta be one of his biggest national hits. Guys like Mobb Deep used to fuck with dudes like Q-Tip. People like E40 used to be able to share the airwaves with Souls of Mischeif. It was all Bay, and everyone loved it. Nationally, both Tribe Called Quest and Dr. Dre could be toppin the charts. Point I'm getting at, it used to not matter. Everyone was rappin, everyone was taking part in hiphop. Yeah, their were different styles, but it was diversity within hiphop. Now it's supposedly two distinct genres? I can't dig that.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
Casual - Smash Rockwell

Two great songs on his album that define hip hop. "Styles" which speak on the flow styles of rappers and give examples. "Bay vs. Bricks" has two different regions rhyming about which region/city is better. A lot of the "gangsta" rap is perceived to not have the same ingenuity as "hip hop" artists. They gotta change that.

Sep 30, 2005
The reason is that the different subgenres have different values and standards. It's not just what they're saying, it's how they say it, and over what kind of beats. You can't really try to evaluate somebody from one of those subgenres by using another subgenre's set of values, yet a lotta people can't see that. That's why somebody who listens to nobody but Nas and Wu-Tang and whoever else might think E-40 is wack; what makes E-40 great ain't the same thing that makes Nas great. And most people have a really limited mind, so they have this strict set of rules on what "hip-hop" is supposed to sound like, and if you don't fit that set of rules, they say you ain't real hiphop. That's how it got all separated into different genres.
Defining it as "gangsta VS. conscious" don't really make sense. Many of those underground hip-hop rappers ain't conscious at all, they just rhyme about how dope they are and kick abstract metaphors. Ain't nothing conscious there. And a lot of so-called gangsta rappers are conscious of what they saying and do discuss social issues.
It's cool to blame the industry, but shit, it's the fans also. You know when Casual does a song with Too $hort and Richie Rich, some of the underground heads are gonna call him a sellout. They'll say he's working with rappers who ain't really hip-hop, so it's somehow wrong to do so. And then when The Coup did Santa Rita Weekend with E-40 and Spice 1, some people were saying it was wrong for them to work with those "gangsta rappers". E-40 is about a whole lot more than gangstarism. Spice 1 too. It's bullshit the fans come up with because they can't relate to certain subject matters or can't understand a certain sound.