Bay Area Album Covers....why?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
Why does it seem 90% of rap cd covers are whack as fuck? Like they look like they were done in a half hour or else I see these super elaborate covers with just a bunch of bullshit thrown everywhere....so then the cover looks so busy u don't even know what the fucken concept was to begin with...for example I don't really care for that Frontline album cover..its so like drab and boring...for a tight rap group like that..I would think u would make it a little more attracting to consumers....cuz the material is hot all around...well jus my 2 cents...what are u thoughts on this topic?

Dec 30, 2003
well the album cover for the frontline kinda fits the album name "WHO R U"... well this is us... lock n left... just showin everyone who they are... feel me? but i do get what u are talkin about. the best one i seen so far was messy marvs disoBAYish. pretty creative if u ask me. but the saying "dont judge a book by its cover".. that kinda dosent go for albums.. because someone will look at a album cover and be like what the fuck is that?... so tight album cover.. and tight album... equals.. good seller....

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
cats buy albums based on the cover??? damn...i could care less what is on a cover,if the album is tight than it makes no difference.im not going to buy an an album just cause it has some cool graphics on the front though,that makes NO sense

Dec 30, 2003
no im sayin.... people who dont know who artists are will most likely do that... i dont buy shit the way it looks... im sayin people who dont know the artist will prolly look at it and be like ohh that looks weak or sumthin ... feel me?

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
Yea the true bay area fans are gonna buy it regardless of the cover, but I'm saying if these artists want to move a lot of units..you got to find a way to entice the regular consumer u know? i mean if u see some half ass 25 cent album cover...the consumer will most likely assume the music is the same quality as well...

so one question siccfucc....

Let's say there's this new bay area cat that dropped a cd and nobody really be knowing his shit is fire...u come up to the cd rack...and u see this bootsy ass lookin cd cover...shit look like it was done on lite brite or some shit...u don't recognize the artist at all...u still gonna pick up the cd or not? I mean, how do u know it's hot?

May 4, 2002
i bought that new lil tweety cd, cuz the cover was sick........ a 12 year old with a flu rag oooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeee he spits hard. lmfao

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
The Bay artists that are doing anything seem to have decent covers to me

Photo Docs and Esscobed (how ever thats spelled) are both tight as fuck, give some examples of recent bad covers cuz I've actually seen a decent number of pretty good ones

Jun 12, 2003
just look at big tones cd cover real lowbudget but sick ass fuck cd tho... covers dont mean shit... jus like x-raided says "no album cover gimmicks just straight real lyrics" sum shit like that lolz

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
TKO said:
so one question siccfucc....

Let's say there's this new bay area cat that dropped a cd and nobody really be knowing his shit is fire...u come up to the cd rack...and u see this bootsy ass lookin cd cover...shit look like it was done on lite brite or some shit...u don't recognize the artist at all...u still gonna pick up the cd or not? I mean, how do u know it's hot?
no,i wouldnt...but at the same time,if it was that same artist that i dont know and he had the tightest cover ever i wouldnt pick it up either,i dont tend to just buy albums without knowing about them regardless of any cover issues,i would go on here and ask about it or just hearing about it from word of mouth before i would drop 15 bucks on it without knowing anything...so the cover thing has no revalence at all,it doesnt eefect me anyway...but dont get me wrong i understand where you guys are coming from and shit,i see how certain ppl might be swayed by things like that and how it could effect potential buyers but its just not might thing

Nov 3, 2003
show ass niggas............

408mobsta said:
just look at big tones cd cover real lowbudget but sick ass fuck cd tho... covers dont mean shit... jus like x-raided says "no album cover gimmicks just straight real lyrics" sum shit like that lolz
u cant judge a book by its cover but it does help. but for the most part its up to an individual. this whole rap thang is built on misconceptions and image. once niggas start keepin it real and quit woorying about the show shit thangs may change..............

dray

Sicc OG
Oct 7, 2004
i think that most graphic designers are critical of anything design related. like myself, i'm a designer so when i see a wack album cover or whatever, i'm gonna say, "what the fuck is that?" but for regular people, they aren't really lookin at the design of somethin.

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
No Limit covers were garbage....Pen and Pixel makes the worse half ass album covers I've ever seen.....I dunno if the concept came from Pen and Pixel or the artist...but there shit was some preschool shit....