B.G INTERVIEW

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 5, 2005

B.G. has come a long way in his career. As everyone knows, he got his start with Cash Money Records alongside Lil Wayne on the album, “BGz: True Story.” From there, his career would take off, with him releasing six full length solo albums on the New Orleans-based label. To everyone’s surprise, trouble would soon follow, and he would defect from the label. While there were many reasons for his departure, the biggest was the misappropriation of millions of dollars belonging to him.

No one knew quite where he would end up. Not only was he a veteran starting his

career over from scratch, but he also had a nasty drug addiction hanging over his head that could ultimately cost him his life. After a great deal of thought, he would eventually put the drugs down and refocus on rebuilding his career. Of course, that would be no easy task. His first album with Koch Entertainment golf a mere 300,000 copies, which wasn’t even half of what he sold of the previous album. Stuck at a crossroad of what to do next on top of what he could have possible done wrong, he continued to move forward.

His true and core fan base would soon come around, and push him to the level of stardom he was used to. While many other artists have fallen off completely after attempting to branch out on their own, B.G. has proven with four albums to date on Koch Entertainment that he is here to stay. His fans love him, and because of that, he has made a full rebound. Not only are fans anticipating his upcoming album, “Heart Of Tha Streets Volume 2”, but the streets are buzzing about his possible future workings with none other than G-Unit.

We had a chance to sit down and talk with B.G. about many things, including his relocation to the Motor City, his upcoming album, his possibly move to G-Unit, and his beef with Lil Wayne. Yes, there’s a mist of trouble in the air, and he aims to clear it up with the killer track, “Triggerman”. This hot boy is definitely on fire, and he has no plan of burning out anytime soon. He’s got his Chopper City army, and by the sounds of things, they aren’t taking any prisoners. Come along, as B.G. gives you an intricate look into his world.

James Johnson: First off, good looking out for today’s talk man. How are you this morning?

B.G.: I’m good man. I’m good. I’m feeling real good this morning, and I don’t know what it is. It’s snowing outside, but I feel good.

James Johnson: Man, I’m glad you mention the snow, because that brings me to you being in Detroit. I know that with everything that happened with Hurricane Katrina, you and your family had to shift around, but what made you pick Detroit, as opposed to simply relocating to another part of Louisiana?

B.G.: Well honestly, I came to Detroit about three years ago, and it’s been like my second home ever since. I went back home, and to Houston and Atlanta, and see all the faces, and see that we can’t do the same things, it’s out of place. I came this way because it was like peace of mind. Trying to refocus.

James Johnson: I know it’s only been a few months now since it all happened, but would you say that you and your family have fully recovered yet?

B.G.: Oh no. No. The government ain’t even fully recovered, so how am I going to be fully recovered? The reality ain’t even set in yet. Everyday I wake up, I’m wishing that I can go down to the project store and get something to eat, or whatever. I make the best of the situation though.

James Johnson: Did everything as far as Chopper City offices and whatnot move to Detroit as well?

B.G.: Well I still have my office and studio in New Orleans, and we also have an office here, so I’m running my business out of Detroit right now. I still have the New Orleans base though.

James Johnson: It’s been a few years not since you started the company. What has been the hardest part about running the label, and doing everything yourself?

B.G.: Really and truly, it’s like now, you know at first, when I was under Cash Money, I was never exposed to the different side, and everything that goes behind putting out a record. Anybody can go in the studio and make a song. That’s the easy part. But actually coming up with a hit, and putting it out, you know, and knowing what you have to do with it. I’ve had so many people coming to me, saying they can make my label do this and that, and make us go platinum and all that, when they really don’t understand that it’s not that easy. I learned that it’s eighty percent business, and twenty percent talent. If you got both, then you’re definitely going to win. If you business is right, then things go good. When I formed my label, I surrounded myself with people that had my best interest at heart. It’s a whole different ballgame. I still play the artist position, but I oversee everything since it’s my career. But I have people in different positions doing different things.

James Johnson: Well you’ve undoubtedly shown the world that you have both the talent and the business sense. You’re like one of the biggest examples of how an artist can leave a big label, start fresh, and make it back to the top. A lot of people can’t rise again. You maintained your core audience, and you sell the same or more every time you drop and album.

B.G.: You know what. You’re right about that, and that was the hardest part. Getting people to accept me without Cash Money, and showing people that cash Money did not make me, but I helped make them, was hard. You automatically know that B.G. was that nigga. When I left, a lot of people doubted me. They thought I couldn’t maintain on my own and hold my own weight. Especially the CEOs. They thought B.G. was through. I battled the addiction and whatever. But everybody go through things. I had to look in the mirror, and make a choice. Either I can be a junkie, or be a superstar. But I can’t be both. I put that [drugs] down, and I picked up the pen. When I was with Cash Money, I was selling platinum. When I left, I still didn’t understand marketing and promotions, this, that, and the other. But I still was putting up good numbers. The three-hundred thousand I was selling, those were people that followed me and knew my music.

James Johnson: I think a lot has to do with the fact that you are independent, and as far as promo, you’re not going to reach the same people you reach with a major label. While you’re reaching that core audience, there’s still a bunch of other people that don’t know you’re out there.

B.G.: Yea, and when I dropped my first album with Koch, I still couldn’t understand. My last album had sold a million records, but this time, I sold three hundred thousand. I wondered what I was doing wrong, but it’s because I was independent. I made the best of it, and I did what I could do. I still get respected as a platinum artist. Just imagine if I was with Interscope or something? The whole world knows that it could easily be three million.

James Johnson: I know you’ve been killing the mixtape circuit though man. You’ve got like a gang of mixtapes on Mixtapeone.com. What made you get into that initially?

B.G.: You know, I got a label now. I have artists of my own, so it ain’t just about me no more. I’m already major. I’m trying to build an empire. I’m trying to turn Chopper City into what I helped turn Cash Money into. That’s our outlet to the streets. The streets already know what to expect from me. I’m on a lot of their songs, but I let them handle it and do their thing. There’ll never be another Hot Boys, but I got a group called The Chopper City Boys. They are like the new millennium Hot Boys. Everything that was wrong before, I do the total opposite.

James Johnson: I’m glad that you say there will never be another Hot Boys. I honestly see the Hot Boys in Boyz N Da Hood, and a lot of people have said it besides me. Do you see that?

B.G.: I mean, I don’t brag and boast about who I am, what I did, my street credentials, and so forth. Niggas that know me already know that my reputation speak for itself. It’s like, a lot of these groups that come and blow, I mean, I ain’t going to say I been there and done that. But these artists come to me and say “I came up on your shit”. In the south, everybody know Scarface is legendary. When people come to me with the respect level that they have for him, and our leaders, its cool. People have respect for me do it before though.

James Johnson: There’s been a lot of rumor as of lately about you possibly going over to G-Unit. Can you shed some light on that for us?

B.G.: I mean, I’m a business man. That’s definitely in the air. I’ve been talking to a lot of people. I got a lot of different offers on the table. But me and Young Buck are real good friends. He was around in the Cash Money days. You know, in the beginning of it all. Me and him kept a real close bond. We talked about this, like, a year or so ago. He came to me and was talking about it. But who knows. Maybe, and maybe not. I ain’t tripping As long as the business is right, I’m good. You know I’m like a lawyer nigga now. I got Chopper City Records, and I got a whole label, so either way it goes, or whichever route I take, it’s B.G. and Chopper City.

Feb 5, 2005
James Johnson: You also have the streets buzzing with “The Triggerman? Why the diss track toward Lil Wayne?

B.G.: It came from my heart, and me feeling disrespected. You know, me and Lil Wayne, he grew up under me. I ain’t gone say I raised him, but I raised him. I’m the one that brought him to the game. On his last album you know, he talking about “I Miss My Dawgs”, and for that song, I had so much respect for him for doing that. I couldn’t believe Baby let him put that on the album. When he did it, it made me have so much respect for him, if that’s how he really felt. At first, I thought it was a publicity stunt, but I saw him a few times, and we ended up doing a few concerts together. It even got to the point where when he did shows, he would perform “I Miss My Dawgs”, and he would call me on the stage and sing it to me in my face.

James Johnson: Right, and there was a live version with you on his Gangsta Grillz mixtape.

B.G.: Then, a couple of weeks ago, he gave a concert here in Detroit, and I went. I went up on stage and all that, but evidently, what he did, he did everything before he saw me, and didn’t know I knew. But anyway, I opened a magazine, and in the magazine, when he was asked about Hot boys, he said fuck everybody, and yada yada yada. Then on 106, when he was asked, he said he saw us on the side of the road. So I feel like he ain’t have to be hugging me, and all on my dick. You know, he had the group called Sqad Up.

James Johnson: Right, they’re with Flip now.

B.G.: Yea, well basically, he was treating them like Baby was treating us, so they left him. Then, they dissed him. You know, and he didn’t diss them back. I dissed them for him. I know he ain’t built like that, and he know he ain’t built like that. So I stepped in front, like, bring it to me. I’m built like that. So the mistakes he made, I feel like he should have been said he felt like that. You ain’t got to play no role. I ain’t got to take my frustration out on you that I got with baby. You ain’t the one that played with my money.

James Johnson: So where does the beef end? Is that the only song?

B.G.: Really and truly, if he come back at me, I expect it. I murdered him so hard on it that if it was me, I would do something. If he choose to, I wouldn’t send nothing back at him. I’ll wait til I see him, because it’s all unnecessary. You know you ain’t built like that, so when you see me, I’m gone chastise the situation.

James Johnson: Now on the “Heart of Tha Streetz Vol. 2”, you got Mannie Fresh for the first single. I know you never had beef with him at all, but you also said before that there wasn’t really any plan for you two to hook up again. What was it that made it happen now?

B.G.: I never ever said I had beef with Fresh. Mannie created a certain sound for each Cash Money artist. When I left, my whole sound changed, and my delivery was the same. The beats changed, so I had to make people familiar with my Chopper City sound. Mannie kept in touch, but we kept missing each other. He was supposed to do tracks for “Life After Cash Money”, but he was still with cash Money. I would have had to change the title of the album, which I wasn’t doing, so we had to wait. But the media is on us about working together again. So we finally did it. Fresh is Fresh. He know what he doing. So when he called and said he was ready, I got on the next flight. He wanted to do the whole album, but I don’t think they ready for that yet. I wanted to make this last independent move first, and after that, something bout to happen.

James Johnson: You also work with DJ Smurf again, who you have worked with for your last albums as well. I like his production style a lot. What is it about his style that you did so much, and why have you chosen to work with him repeatedly?

B.G.: Smurf my man. When I went to Koch, I think Ying Yang Twins was there. He worked with them. He gave me some tracks, and what he gave me, I ended up using for the first single. Then the next album, I was going to holla at him again, but he called me first. He did “I Want It, You Got It”. He played it, and I heard the first ten seconds and murdered it. Then the next album, I worked with a lot of people. I can do anything. I’m versatile. Smurf called, and wanted me to do a feature on a song, but when I heard it, I had to have it. I said how he gone wait til I’m halfway through my album to do that. So he gave me that track. But that’s me and Smurf’s relationship.

James Johnson: He’s definitely one of the best that you have worked with, besides Mannie Fresh, who can capture your true essence.

B.G.: I know. I’ve done so much though. Man, I got so much unheard music, it’s ridiculous.

James Johnson: What other producers are you feeling out there, that you haven’t worked with, or want to work with?

B.G.: I worked with banner, I worked with Swizz Beats, Mannie Fresh, I mean, I been around for minute, so I done worked with damned near everybody. I know how it is to be on the top, on the bottom, and trying to come back up. It’s a lot of producers that charge 30,000 for a track, and then you got producers in their basement banging out shit for 3,000, just trying to get a shot. I don’t mind working with the Lil Jons and Pharrells, but if I can help a young, up and coming producer, it’s all good. I’d rather do it like that.

James Johnson: Then, some of the new folks are hotter because they work harder in some cases.

B.G.: Right, that’s my whole point.

James Johnson: Tell me about the rest of the album? I know a lot will be your same style.

B.G.: Well you pretty much said it. Every album I do, I try to pick up where I left off. Living Legend, I had just left Cash Money, and I was still living. I been grinding since I was 13, and I’m 15 now. It was a lot of rumors about me OD’ing, and I had been through a lot. This album is my life story. I’m still a street nigga, and I live my life like I’m you. I ain’t no better than nobody else. It ain’t easy being Geezy. If I get a hundred million, I’ll still be in the streets. I’m most afraid of letting things go to my head. Anybody you ask, they say Geezy going to be Geezy. What you see is what you get.

James Johnson: You also talked previously about a full album of material that you had recorded with Soulja Slim, and the possibility of it being released. Is that still a chance?

B.G.: I still have it. His mom is like my second mom, and she always call to check on me. He was like a brother. We was ready to take New Orleans back. New Orleans was swamped with Cash Money and No Limit. We always wanted to work together. Once he established Cut Throat, and I established Chopper City, we said let’s come together on some entrepreneur shit. He would expose P, and I would expose Baby. But you know, I got to live for both of us now. I know he would turn over in his grave if I don’t live it up. I’d feel the same if I was gone and he was still here and didn’t live it up. I feel like I’m living for me and him. I got to come even harder. We finished the album. When he got killed, I had a copy, and he had a copy. Somehow, it got bootlegged, but I still got more material. But his mom always tell me how he looking down on me. She got his label now. I gave her my word that I wouldn’t let her down.

James Johnson: Any final thoughts or comments?

B.G.: Man, I mean, really, ain’t too much I can say. I’m trying to be successful, and I ain’t bout no trouble.

James Johnson: Thank you again bruh.

B.G.: No problem man...thank you!

Feb 5, 2005
D-Locc60 said:
THANKS GEE-

BUT PLZ POST DOWN SOUTH ARTIST INTERVIEWS IN THE VITAL THREAD AT THE TOP.

ONE

GOOD LOOKIN OUT

MAD BAD MAYN....

NEXT TIME ITz A "WILL DO" POTNA....

YUH !

- GEEzUz

Feb 5, 2005

JUVIE SPOKE ON DA SHIT ON 106TH AN PARK EARLIER 2DAY TOO...

WHEN BIG TIGG ASK'D HIM WHUT HIZ RELATIONSHIP WAz WIT CASH MONEY

- GEEzUz

Dec 25, 2003
Yeah! Back wit anotha vengeance! Fuck big ol cryingass Baby wit his ugly lil tatted tears!

...and thatz comin outta a real rider's point of view!

...fuckin fony!...

Cash Money is soon gonna be Spare Change! Believe that!!