Audio Interfaces

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
what in your opinions is the best one? I would choose solid pre amps and A/Ds over a bunch of inputs you feel me? I'm not trying to track bands or nothing but want quality. I was thinking of that new one that RME makes but havn't heard too much about it but it has hella ins and outs, what do you think?

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
Budget?

If it's an audio internface and has built-in pre-amps it's probably a good amount away from being the best. Usually, the more you get feature-wise the less you get quality wise. With that said, if you're looking at around 4-500 dollars the E-mu 1820 would be about the best choice in the prosumer market.

E-mu will be releasing new audio devices with even better quality than their current offerings but I have no idea when. I wouldn't hold my breath.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Well I'm willing to spend the cash for the quality if I have to but don't really want to go over 1000 bucks because I'm wanting to completly revamp my project studio and need new monitors, new controllers, DAW software, vsts and a couple of new mics etc. I'm doing this for production purposes mostly, the extent of my recording will be live instruments for sampling purposes and for streaming vinyl and little shit like that, maybe will be tracking vocals if I can find good talent. I was thinking of one made by Tascam cuz it has 4 midi in and 4 midi out and 8 individual phantom powered preamps but am sketchy on tascam gear. The Mackee Oxyx series with the firewire option is pretty appealing to me too, I've heard great things about those boards but i wonder how seamless they are with DAWs though and it is kinda pricey. I heard for pro sumer shit those onyx preamps are very solid though. For the basics I don't really don't want to break the 5-6k mark in price.

I want to stay away from the Digi stuff eventhough they are selling those 002s for a pretty decent price nowadays but Pro Tools really pisses me off when it comes to its MIDI capabilities and LE systems have so many limitations eventhough it is the only software I know how to use. The 002 bundle pack for 2100 is a pretty sweet deal though, I guess they are making something new real soon?

Sorry my threads always turn into multi qustion threads!

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
creamware, rme, lynx have good ones. Presonus firebox is also a good one. MOTU ones are good also. I read ur last post, and well, i dont no anything bout those, i dont really need them so i dont read about them.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I would purchase a 002r and run with that. I know you said you don't want to run pro tools, but you dont have to run the 002r with pro tools. I use a 002r with cubase sx and it works like a champ. The midi in pro tools 7 has been GREATLY improved so that should not be a problem. Peep this link and let me know if it helps ya...

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2969

:hgk:

ps thsoe motu boxes sound cool and the emu units are ok also.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I've thought of the 002 since the factory bundle is going for a very reasonable price and those plug ins that come with that are pretty solid, I know how to run pro tools ok its great for tracking and mixing but as a midi sequencer it is quite terrible. I've only used 6.9 and below though, I wanna see what 7 is all about. Is the 002 like m audio shit where if you have phantom on one pre you have to have it on all the others? Thats what turned me off on the Project Mix by M-Audio.

I just want to put all my audio school smarts to good use finally!

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Is the 002 like m audio shit where if you have phantom on one pre you have to have it on all the others?
Meaning they all have to be on? Like one or the other? No, and I wouldn't buy a unit like that either. It would be impossible to use for live recordings (example 1 condenser mic, stereo out from a keyboard, bass guitar, electric, 5 piece drum kit)

drewski.kalonji

Shark Finning & Grinning
May 17, 2002
Murky Bay Waters, CA
Hey Heresey or any one else with knowledge in the subject- I'm long overdue for any firewire/usb interface for my labtop and I use cubase sx. Ive been looking at the relatively cheap inspire 1394 and the tascam us-122 in the prosound catalog and i finally have some dispensable cash for this expensive hobby/dream; so my question is should I order one of these novice interfaces or save up for one of those interface mixers like the mackie onyx 1220? Those interface mixers look like a dream come true but I wouldnt want to spend more than half a grand on a faulty "toy", yaddimean? thanks

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
a good interface for a relitivly low price is the M-audio 1814, a friend of mine has one and its pretty decent and has enough inputs and outputs to keep you busy for awhile its got 2 mic pres I think it has midi in and out too. you can get one of those for like 500 bucks.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I use a 002r and have no problems with it. I purchased a 002r for my brothers studio and just finished building his pc. So now we are both set and both compatible. The only complaint I have is all the inputs are on the back of the unit, but besides that the unit is great. Sound quality is good, I have the capability to record 24/96, but I stay @24/44.1.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm looking for one that has alot of line inputs so I may hook induvidual channels of a solid analog mixer into it (maybe the Onyx 1640 or maybe you can suggest something else), I'm not talking tidf, lightpipe shit just balanced straight ins and outs, has good a/d converters and can take in signal at high sample rates and perhaps a couple XLR hookups for the time before I get the mixer. Also thought of not having an interface at all and rolling with the onyx and the firewire option, I've heard nothing but great things about this board

I've been doing alot of research on the trade sites but havn't got my hands on alot of stuff yet, its hard to buy into product specs cuz it seems like there is always something about every unit that sucks or something i don't like about something. I would like to have pro tools compatability but the interfaces that you can use with it are so limited its kind of irritating. I'm thinking of getting my hands on cubase sx3 but havn't fully decided on a DAW yet, I'm most likley going to stay on a PC format.

Any ideas?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
seems like all audio interfaces are considered "pro sumer" unless its a digi TDM system though. I just want whatever i put into this this to sound as good as it can.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm gonna have to get some kind of firewire card for my PC if I want anything worth buying, my computer is kinda outdated how much to thoe run for?