Attn: getting experience

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
This is another one for the experts. As much as I love sitting at home on my pc becoming the next whoever on my own, I'd like to know that what I'm doing goes in line with proper procedure. Such as effects processing, recording (levels, panning, etc..) I feel like it would be beneficial to learn by watching someone else. How would I go abouts getting access to a studio to practice or volunteer or whatever? I want to go to school but I'm in debt with old school loans temporarily. Until then, what is a good way to get in somewhere to watch what goes on. Anyone got ideas?

Apr 25, 2002
First thing is to realize that there isn't really any "proper procedure" to recording, engineering, mixing. It's all an art and although there is a science behind it, in the end it's based on the creativity of the people working on the song. It's all about what sounds good 'to you'.

It's definately beneficial to watch people work. You learn tips, tricks & techniques that will improve your own work. What you do is usually a combination of what you've learned from other people and what you've learned on your own.

I guess you could ask to sit in on some sessions with any recording artists you might know or you could call up your local recording studios and pitch the idea that you would like to be a volunteer or intern of some sort. Or that if you are allowed to watch a few recording sessions, you promise to sit in the corner and keep quiet. If you do that, make sure you say it's school related. Otherwise they will think you are just some square who wants to come hang out like some kind of studio-groupie.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
First thing is to realize that there isn't really any "proper procedure" to recording, engineering, mixing. It's all an art and although there is a science behind it, in the end it's based on the creativity of the people working on the song. It's all about what sounds good 'to you'.
this is soooooooooooooo TRUE. at least gain a PERSPECTIVE on how to do it.........what he just laced your boots with needs to be taken SERIOUSLY.

:H:

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
thanks yall.

It's all an art and although there is a science behind it,
thats what im after, what are the constants, ill handle the variables on my own. theres only so much you can read before a lack of firsthand experience slows the learning pace.