ATTENTION:Why It Is Important To Master Your Beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
THE REASON IM TELLING THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING YOUR BEATS MASTERED IT MAY SEEM USELESS AND A WASTE OF MONEY BUT IT CLARIFY'S YOUR INSTRUMENTS AND KEYS TO THE TOP OF ITS GAME MAY TO SOME NOT SEE THE DIFFERNCE BUT YOU CAN TELL BY THE CLARITY OF THE BEAT AND THE SOUND OF IT LIKE THE BASS/SYNTH IF YOU WANT TO SELL BEATS TO THE TOP HEADS YOU MUST GET THIS DONE I'VE TRIED TO GET IT AS CLOSE TO PERFECT WITHOUT MASTERING SHOT IT TO SOME BAY RAPPERS/SINGERS AND THEY WAS LIKE NAWWW WE NEED PROFESIONAL SOUNDING BEAT.........JUST WANTED TO TELL ALL YOU PRODUCERS OUT THEIR THAT IT DOES MATTER THANKS

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
yes said:
THE REASON IM TELLING THE IMPORTANCE OF GETTING YOUR BEATS MASTERED IT MAY SEEM USELESS AND A WASTE OF MONEY BUT IT CLARIFY'S YOUR INSTRUMENTS AND KEYS TO THE TOP OF ITS GAME MAY TO SOME NOT SEE THE DIFFERNCE BUT YOU CAN TELL BY THE CLARITY OF THE BEAT AND THE SOUND OF IT LIKE THE BASS/SYNTH IF YOU WANT TO SELL BEATS TO THE TOP HEADS YOU MUST GET THIS DONE I'VE TRIED TO GET IT AS CLOSE TO PERFECT WITHOUT MASTERING SHOT IT TO SOME BAY RAPPERS/SINGERS AND THEY WAS LIKE NAWWW WE NEED PROFESIONAL SOUNDING BEAT.........JUST WANTED TO TELL ALL YOU PRODUCERS OUT THEIR THAT IT DOES MATTER THANKS
No offense but thats the biggest crock of shit I ever heard.My homies who have produced for majors such as flip mode squad, and they even did IMX-if you wanna stay the night,and numerous other rappers...they never mastered their beats.If you have an issue with clarity,then when your mixing down you have a problem,Im not saying there is a rule written in stone,and you might have had some validity,but when you said some rappers from the bay was aww nawww then your arguement held no weight,Now if you are incapable of mixing your beat down,then have someone who knows how do it,If it is that big of a project then they gonna want it multi-tracked, and the engineer is gonna want to mix it down according to the whole song vocals etc,but for two tracking,Ive been to a few different studios and each engineer complimented how the beats wich are two tracked were mixed down real good.I hope to not offend anyone,and if you feel the need to master your beats so do it,I just dont know anyone who does personally

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
yes said:
I'VE TRIED TO GET IT AS CLOSE TO PERFECT WITHOUT MASTERING SHOT IT TO SOME BAY RAPPERS/SINGERS AND THEY WAS LIKE NAWWW WE NEED PROFESIONAL SOUNDING BEAT.........
that just sounds like they were trying to find a nice way to say "we aint feeling your beats"

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
na family lol it aint even like that ive done beats for the jacka.....mardell maxwell(singer)....Fredro Star....and a bunch of east coast cats and overseas

you guys gettin me wrong lol sometimes in my snares or synths i get a sorta air noise which produces a lil static it comes up every now and then but i use live instruments lol here there is my beats lol im not wack lol but i feel you guys what you say about that but ive done alot of beats for singers thats my main bread right there those who i really mess with. But Ive also heard by one of the reps for sony records they said they wont take any beats if it aint mastered becuase it sets them back to have to get it done "thats What He Said" my shit is pretty well composed and damn near perfect but their is always something like a baseline that doesnt come out clearer

what programs you guys use to mixdown>>?? just out of curiosity

dont mean to come off like if you dont do it you cant get shit out their but just saying you should take the extra effort just to clear that up

and i know 50 cal when you say multi track/WAV formatt i use up hella tracks for basically just live guitars or live piano's get at me

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
what track you do for the Jacka? hes one of my favorite artists and would like to hear it.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I am pressed for time but I'll touch this. Mastering a beat is foolish for many reasons. Lets look at some of them.

Reason #1: You are stuck with a 16 bit file. When you master a 24 bit file you have to dither or truncate. If someone sings/raps (or whatever it is they do) over this beat they will most likely record in 24 bit mode. In order to get everything in the proper format (redbook) the 24 bit stuff will have to be bounced with the previously truncated or dithered file, and this will reduce the sound quality (especially if the shit has been dithered twice.) Also, if the artist is recording in 96khz and your mastered beat is 44.1k you have to convert to the higher sample rate and back down again.

Reason #2: You are stuck with the mix or arrangement. Lets say the artist does not like the chord progression in the third verse or your snares are too low. Multiband compression and editing can only get you so far. Once you master a song you are stuck with those results (unless you remix and remaster.)

Reason #3: It costs more money. Who do they expect to master the beats YOU? The label PAYS for mastering (either directly or through the artist budget) so this repeated process will cost money each time.

Reason #4: Mastering should be a cohesive job. Lets say you have an album with 16 songs on it. If all the beats were composed by 5 different people and mastered by 5 different mastering engineers this will NOT result in a cohesive sounding album.

If ANYONE masters the beats/compositions they intend to sell they are wasting time, money and sound quality.

Who is this sony rep and which artist told you "we need professional sounding beats?" IMHO they told you this because they were not feeling your music. If this is the case just look at it in a positive, accept the fact that they are not the right person to spit over that beat and find the person who is.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
"professional sounding" sounds like you need to brush up on your mixing skills. You don't need to master a beats to get rid of distortion on snares and shit like that, distortion is distortion homie. mastering won't get rid of shit like that, when its there its there, when you polish a turd you just have a shiny turd.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Yeah,I feel heresy, hit all the right points.But Yes I commend you as far as trying to make shit top quality, maybe the folks at sony are used to people sending in fruity loops(not to say you cant make a good track with one) and,people sending in beats from there hip hop ejay set-up.Dealing with the likes of jacka,or someone like that usually you would sell to the directly,and they usually aint gonna know the difference

Mar 25, 2003
myspace.com
U say distortion in your snares and your recording with live intruments???? Maybe the reason they sound destorted is because theyre not mic'd right. It could be that your initial recording of the sound could be your problem. Just a thought